cable signal problems plz help!

DrGratis

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
I just got my new system set up... (AMD XP2000 with winXP (how weird??) Radeon AIW8500 dv)
Everything is working pretty well TV as computer monitor etc..
EXCEPT~
My cable signal in is crappy. Horizontal lines, static, snow, etc only on my computer , not my TV.
I have tried going straight from the wall to the 8500(same), tried a power singal amplifier(actually worse on most channels)..
I don't know what to do? I want good signal to tivo stuff, but this is so crappy I'm still using my vcr instead...

Would digital cable help? (still have old fashioned analog)
Anyone with any suggestion? Thanks ( I am going to ask on avsforum.com soon, but though I would try here first)

-Dr Gratis

You have to have a cable modem to convert the signal to your computer, you have one right? I don't see any mention of one in your post. Or is your computer completely set up and you're trying to capture video? Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

DrGratis

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
duh sorry.. not cable modem cable as in tv..
the Tv signal on my comp is bad...
I have dsl works fine (ok not fine just ok, but still)

So you're using your video card on the computer to capture video, does the video card come with capture software, my WinTV did, but it also had to memory search and log in the stations before the picture straightened out, does your video card have to do that? Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.