Help needed on Goblins 2 - DOS game

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 19, 2005 10:42:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

This message didn't seem to go through last night. So I will re-post.

I installed Goblins 2, CD version, but can't get the sound to work. Its
DOS based and says its better to play it in DOS (as in Exit to MSDOS in
Win 98SE). There is a setup file for win 95, but that didn't seem to
work too well. The game starts and plays OK but there is no sound and
the choices for choosing sound are all dimmed out except for No sound.
There is a patch for on the CD to fid some sound cards but that didn't
help. I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version I got) but that
hung my computer, if I did it right. I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive which
has the line installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody have any
ideas.? Its been a long time since I played this game (or any DOS games)
and can't remember if I had this sound problem before.

Mary
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 7:11:15 AM

Mary wrote:
> This message didn't seem to go through last night. So I will re-post.
>
> I installed Goblins 2, CD version, but can't get the sound to work. Its
> DOS based and says its better to play it in DOS (as in Exit to MSDOS in
> Win 98SE). There is a setup file for win 95, but that didn't seem to
> work too well. The game starts and plays OK but there is no sound and
> the choices for choosing sound are all dimmed out except for No sound.
> There is a patch for on the CD to fid some sound cards but that didn't
> help. I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version I got) but that
> hung my computer, if I did it right. I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive which
> has the line installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody have any
> ideas.? Its been a long time since I played this game (or any DOS games)
> and can't remember if I had this sound problem before.
>
> Mary

First, the SB16 DOS emulation may not have been correctly installed for
the SBLive card. This would seem to be the case as the game can't find
your card.

Second, I don't own the game so I searched the Internet for a copy.
Unfortunately all I could find was a Russian version of the game but it
is still a test case. I've tested it with Win98SE and an Audigy2 card in
a DOS Window with SB16 emulation and the game runs. Well it runs in
Russian only so I haven't a clue how to use it but the sound works. I've
also tested it with DOSBOX .63 and again it seems to work with sound.

Check the GO.BAT file and make sure it is not preset for NOSOUND. Or,
start the game by executing LOADER.EXE instead of the batch file.
July 20, 2005 7:11:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Hi,

"Robert Gault" <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Mary wrote:
> > This message didn't seem to go through last night. So I will
re-post.

> > I installed Goblins 2, CD version, but can't get the sound to work.
Its
> > DOS based and says its better to play it in DOS (as in Exit to MSDOS
in
> > Win 98SE). There is a setup file for win 95, but that didn't seem to
> > work too well. The game starts and plays OK but there is no sound
and
> > the choices for choosing sound are all dimmed out except for No
sound.
> > There is a patch for on the CD to fid some sound cards but that
didn't
> > help. I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version I got) but
that
> > hung my computer, if I did it right. I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive
which
> > has the line installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody have
any
> > ideas.? Its been a long time since I played this game (or any DOS
games)
> > and can't remember if I had this sound problem before.
> >
> > Mary
> >

> First, the SB16 DOS emulation may not have been correctly installed
for
> the SBLive card. This would seem to be the case as the game can't find
> your card.

Thats what I thought, but when my computer is loading everything in, I
can see it says SB emulation loaded. I also installed the sb Live
drivers again just to be sure.

> Second, I don't own the game so I searched the Internet for a copy.
> Unfortunately all I could find was a Russian version of the game but
it
> is still a test case. I've tested it with Win98SE and an Audigy2 card
in
> a DOS Window with SB16 emulation and the game runs. Well it runs in
> Russian only so I haven't a clue how to use it but the sound works.

Well, even though in Russian, you got the sound working. Thanks for
checking that out.
Do you have your speakers plugged into the back of your sound card? I
thought this was maybe a game where you had to plug the speakers into
the front of your CDrom when you have certain kinds of audio files.

I've
> also tested it with DOSBOX .63 and again it seems to work with sound.

That was the version I used. If I did it correctly, I typed Intro at
the Z prompt which Dosbox .63 uses, and it said you have to mount the
virtual drive I guess it is, and then it says its C:\ and type dir and
you should see all your files from the game which I did, then I typed
sierra\gob2 then go.exe but then it hung. So maybe I didn't do it
right.

> Check the GO.BAT file and make sure it is not preset for NOSOUND.

The Go.bat file just has the GO command in it. When I installed the
game, it said No sounds under sound card.

Or,
> start the game by executing LOADER.EXE instead of the batch file.

I just looked and don't even see Loader.exe in the Sierra directory. I
remember it from when I played the game years ago, but can't see it now.
I feel I am back in the old DOS days when I didn't have enough
conventional memory and stuff like that. In fact, when I was installing
the game, it did say I needed 580k to run the game but only had 575k. My
config.sys has emm386 in it and devices are in high memory. Well, I
can't figure out the problem. Thanks for your help.

Mary
July 21, 2005 4:23:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Mary typed:

Hey MaryJ, :)

> This message didn't seem to go through last night.

Yes it did ;) , I can see it under the thread about "Do you still
play DOS games" - and there was a reply from "djin" suggesting
you could try VDMsound and/or a slowdown program.

> I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version
> I got) but that hung my computer, if I did it right.
> I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive which has the line
> installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody
> have any ideas.?

As for DOSbox, some games do not recognize the sound card
unless the CPU cycles are set to 3000 or lower (I've just learnt
this myself - I'm still learning the art of DOSboxing ;>) So you
could try installing /re-installing /running the game at the slow
speed of 3000 cycles.

Which version of the game is it? According to the DOSbox website,
the game is "supported", but there are four different entires for
"Gobliins 2" (?) - one for CD, one for CD v2.01, one for FDD (etc)
Also you could try mounting the CD drive with the "-ioctl" option,
as someone there recommended.

I prefer using a frontend (D-Fend v2) to handle DOSbox options,
makes it much easier to edit and change config files (I'm too lazy
to type at the Z: prompt ;>)

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{

<random sig>
A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.
July 21, 2005 4:23:33 AM

"mec-devil" <delusions@fools.paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> Mary typed:
>
> Hey MaryJ, :)
>
> > This message didn't seem to go through last night.
>
> Yes it did ;) , I can see it under the thread about "Do you still
> play DOS games" - and there was a reply from "djin" suggesting
> you could try VDMsound and/or a slowdown program.

I found my original message. I should probably have created a new
message instead of using the existing thread, since I wanted to try to
get specific information about an adventure game.
I don't see any reply from djin or anyone else in that thread though. I
will check google groups to see if I can see it there. I don't know how
VDMsound is, but for slowdown, I could try moslo. It seems more like I
don't have enough memory for the game keeps saying I need 580K memory
but only have 560k or something like that. How would I get more memory?
maybe using a boot disk? I am not sure that would help though.

> > I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version
> > I got) but that hung my computer, if I did it right.
> > I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive which has the line
> > installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody
> > have any ideas.?
>
> As for DOSbox, some games do not recognize the sound card
> unless the CPU cycles are set to 3000 or lower (I've just learnt
> this myself - I'm still learning the art of DOSboxing ;>) So you
> could try installing /re-installing /running the game at the slow
> speed of 3000 cycles.

I wouldn't know anything about cycles.
I just tried DOS box again and mounted the C drive as it describes, but
when I type go.bat or go.exe, (I tried both), the DOS box screen hangs
and thats as far as I get.

> Which version of the game is it? According to the DOSbox website,
> the game is "supported", but there are four different entires for
> "Gobliins 2" (?) - one for CD, one for CD v2.01, one for FDD (etc)
> Also you could try mounting the CD drive with the "-ioctl" option,
> as someone there recommended.

Its a CD , v 2.01. What is the command for "ioctl" when you are in DOS
box?
Maybe I should check Dosbox website to see if I can figure anything out.

> I prefer using a frontend (D-Fend v2) to handle DOSbox options,
> makes it much easier to edit and change config files (I'm too lazy
> to type at the Z: prompt ;>)

I have never used D-Fend . There are so many utilities out for fixing
this and that, it gets very confusing. Thanks. MacDevil. Weren't you
Maddie at one time?

Mary
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:23:34 AM

"Mary" wrote in news:v7ednasL1-xNWEPfRVn-1g@rogers.com:

> I found my original message. I should probably have created a new
> message instead of using the existing thread, since I wanted to
> try to get specific information about an adventure game.
> I don't see any reply from djin or anyone else in that thread
> though. I will check google groups to see if I can see it there. I
> don't know how VDMsound is, but for slowdown, I could try moslo.

I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000 and XP only, but taking a
look at their web site I see that it now runs on all Windowses from 95
and forward. (And has been for quite a while, it seems. I need to keep
up better.) Then you should give it a try - it's easy to use and if it
works with Gobliins 2 you won't have to mess with DOS drivers. You'll
simply run it from within Windows. (The memory issue might also go away
that way.)

> It seems more like I don't have enough memory for the game keeps
> saying I need 580K memory but only have 560k or something like
> that. How would I get more memory? maybe using a boot disk? I am
> not sure that would help though.

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions. It's been a while since I had
to mess around with those things and, as you said in that other thread,
the last versions of DOS had memmaker to help. (Wasn't that still
around in W98? Maybe not in the second edition - I only used the first.
I think it was on the CD but wasn't installed automatically.) Maybe
someone could think of something if you posted the contents of your
autoexec.bat and config.sys?

Rikard
July 21, 2005 4:23:35 AM

"Rikard Peterson" <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> "Mary" wrote in news:v7ednasL1-xNWEPfRVn-1g@rogers.com:
>
> > I found my original message. I should probably have created a new
> > message instead of using the existing thread, since I wanted to
> > try to get specific information about an adventure game.
> > I don't see any reply from djin or anyone else in that thread
> > though. I will check google groups to see if I can see it there. I
> > don't know how VDMsound is, but for slowdown, I could try moslo.
>
> I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000 and XP only, but taking a
> look at their web site I see that it now runs on all Windowses from 95
> and forward. (And has been for quite a while, it seems. I need to keep
> up better.) Then you should give it a try - it's easy to use and if it
> works with Gobliins 2 you won't have to mess with DOS drivers. You'll
> simply run it from within Windows. (The memory issue might also go
away
> that way.)

I went to sourceforge.net but could only see the download for Win
200/XP/NT. I also went to another site with google search, and it was
the same VMsound (version 2.1.0). I find virtual sound stuff confusing.
I may have to give up on this.

> > It seems more like I don't have enough memory for the game keeps
> > saying I need 580K memory but only have 560k or something like
> > that. How would I get more memory? maybe using a boot disk? I am
> > not sure that would help though.
>
> I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions. It's been a while since I had
> to mess around with those things and, as you said in that other
thread,
> the last versions of DOS had memmaker to help. (Wasn't that still
> around in W98? Maybe not in the second edition - I only used the
first.
> I think it was on the CD but wasn't installed automatically.) Maybe
> someone could think of something if you posted the contents of your
> autoexec.bat and config.sys?

Autoexec:

LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P300 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

Config:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=C:\HXCD-ROM\CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000

(I've tried leaving NOEMS out in config).

Mary
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 6:08:07 AM

Mary wrote:
><snip>
> I wouldn't know anything about cycles.

That is on a line in the DOSBOX.conf file; usually 3000.

> I just tried DOS box again and mounted the C drive as it describes, but
> when I type go.bat or go.exe, (I tried both), the DOS box screen hangs
> and thats as far as I get.

If the game wants to run from the CD, then your problem is that you did
not mount the CDROM drive in the .conf file or manually. The needed line
would be something like:
mount E E:\ f\ -t cdrom -usecd 2 -apsi
where you put the correct drive letter for your system.

> <snip>
July 21, 2005 6:08:08 AM

> Mary wrote:
> ><snip>
> > I wouldn't know anything about cycles.

> That is on a line in the DOSBOX.conf file; usually 3000.

The readme file explains about it and tells you to go to the DOSbox
config file and change 3000 cycles to 60000 cycles, which I did but it
didn't help.

> > I just tried DOS box again and mounted the C drive as it describes,
but
> > when I type go.bat or go.exe, (I tried both), the DOS box screen
hangs
> > and thats as far as I get.
>
> If the game wants to run from the CD, then your problem is that you
did
> not mount the CDROM drive in the .conf file or manually. The needed
line
> would be something like:
> mount E E:\ f\ -t cdrom -usecd 2 -apsi
> where you put the correct drive letter for your system.

This is where I must be typing the wrong thing.
In Dosbox there is a Z:\prompt and you can type intro for more
instructions which I did.
Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c c:\sierra
(directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is mounted C:\sierra".
So far OK.
Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the game, so
I typed cd
sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I tried
cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe and
same thing. Obviously doing something wrong.

Mary
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:01:44 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:59:50 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:

>This is where I must be typing the wrong thing.
>In Dosbox there is a Z:\prompt and you can type intro for more
>instructions which I did.
>Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c c:\sierra
>(directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is mounted C:\sierra".
>So far OK.
> Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the game, so
>I typed cd
>sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I tried
>cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe and
>same thing. Obviously doing something wrong.

Here's your problem. You need to mount all drives you are planning to
use, i.e. the one with the game install and the CD drives.

A few suggestions. You can add the mounting in the configuration
file, at the bottom, so that you don't have to do this every time.
So, for instance, type:

mount c: c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe

and then at the Z prompt just type C: and it will go to the directory
and execute the file automatically. I don't personally put that all
in the config file until I know everything's working OK though. Of
course, you don't *need* to do that -- you can do it manually each
time if you wanna. The first "c:" will be what you type at the Z
prompt. Everything after that is the path it will follow.

(Just as a side note, this comes in handy for an old game that insists
on saving games to a floppy and you wanna save to your hard drive.
You can type "mount a: c:\gamedirectory\save" or whatever, and when it
looks for the a: it'll redirect it to the saved game folder. :-))

Then also, supposing your CD drive is d, you also want to type:

mount d: d:\ -t cdrom

The "-t cdrom" will let it know that it's a CD, cause it doesn't know.
And you have to mount it too or it won't know what "d:" means.

I would also suggest that you uninstall the game. Then mount both the
C: and CD drives. Then reinstall it FROM Dosbox. So from the Z
prompt you'd change directory to your CD drive and install like usual.

See if any of that helps.

Also, in the config file is stuff for sound cards. You might want to
check the irq, dma, etc., and make sure it matches what you've got.
There's several popular old sound cards in there. Just scroll through
all the stuff and have a look around.

If you get this working, I would suggest mounting *all* your drives
and save that in the config file permanently. Then you can add the
path to your game below that, and when you start Dosbox it will
automatically go there and execute your game. When you start a new
game, you leave all the mounting, but just replace the path with the
new game.

---
erimess

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:06:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

P.S. You can change the cycle speed with F keys. F12 will speed it
up and F11 will slow it down. Dosbox should slow it down so you
shouldn't need the Moslo. In fact, everything seems to run *too* slow
for me and I always have to speed them up.

The F keys are a good way to experiment until you decide where you
want it. I think it goes by 1000's. So just keep count of how many
times you hit F12, and then you can go in and add it to the number in
the config file so it will always do that for the game. I think it
defaults at something like 1500, so if that thing about the sound card
needing it under 3000 is true, then that's not

---
erimess

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05 your problem.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:10:17 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:01:44 -0400, erimess wrote:

>Here's your problem. You need to mount all drives you are planning to
>use, i.e. the one with the game install and the CD drives.

Another P.S. I just realized I read something you typed wrong. I saw
the "cd" and you meant change directory, and my eye just said CD
drive. :-)

But everything I said was true anyway. I just don't know if that's
your problem. It's possible it's looking for that CD to run. And I
would definitely install it from within Dosbox.

---
erimess

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:22:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:01:44 -0400, erimess wrote:

>mount c: c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe

Another P.S. LOL!!!

It just occurs to me. This thing is actually more like Unix. Which I
know very little about and am not sure whether the full path on one
line like that works. I never do it that way so I've never had the
opportunity to find out.

Right now mine looks like this:
mount g: g:\
MOUNT m: m:\ -t cdrom
mount n: n:\ -t cdrom
g:
cd conquest [mec-devil, don't laugh!!]
cnwmain

So you might try instead one line at a time, that is:
c:
cd sierra
cd gob2
go

Oh, oh, oh, and no "exe"!!! Just "go"

I honestly have no clue whether this is part of your problem or not,
but can't hurt to try.

---
erimess

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:26:50 PM

"Mary" wrote in news:9MCdnarqAurQtkLfRVn-jQ@rogers.com:

> Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c
> c:\sierra (directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is
> mounted C:\sierra". So far OK.
> Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the
> game, so
> I typed cd
> sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I
> tried cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed
> C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe and same thing. Obviously doing something
> wrong.
>
> Mary

I may be misunderstanding you here, but it seems to me you might have
misunderstood the mounting thing. If you mount C:\sierra as C:, DosBox
treats your C:\sierra folder as your C: drive. What's really "C:\sierra
\gob2" on your hard drive becomes "C:\gob2". (Do a dir command to find
out where you are!) I find it easier to simply mount the entire drive.

DosBox is complicated.

Rikard
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:58:35 PM

"Mary" wrote in news:XfidnfZQGszRnELfRVn-tQ@rogers.com:

> I went to sourceforge.net but could only see the download for Win
> 200/XP/NT. I also went to another site with google search, and it
> was the same VMsound (version 2.1.0). I find virtual sound stuff
> confusing. I may have to give up on this.

The strange thing is that while the site says "for MS Windows NT/2000
DOS boxes", a few lines below it also says "All 32-bit MS Windows
(95/98/NT/2000/XP)". That is what confused me. Reading through the
documentation I find "VDMSound will only run on Windows NT 4 SP3,
Windows 2000 or Windows XP. It will not work with Windows 95, 98 or
Millennium." so I guess you're out of luck there. It looks as if
DosBox is the best way to get it working for you. If you can get that
working.

> Autoexec:
>
> LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000
> SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P300 T6
> SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
> C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
> SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
>
> Config:
>
> DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
> DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
> DOS=HIGH,UMB
> DEVICEHIGH=C:\HXCD-ROM\CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000
>
> (I've tried leaving NOEMS out in config).
>
> Mary

Have you tried loading the SB driver high, too? Other than that, I
have no suggestion. You don't have much stuff in your startup files
(not even a mouse driver?).

Rikard
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:00:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Mary typed:
> Its a CD , v 2.01. What is the command for "ioctl" when
> you are in DOS box?
> Maybe I should check Dosbox website to see if I can figure
> anything out.

Robert has answered that below now. (Actually I think the
'ioctl' one is only for WinNT/XP, so forget it)

In the folder where you installed DOSbox, there is a helpful
'readme.txt' that has the commands, I just remembered.

You could also check the VOGONS forums for help:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/
(They have separate sections for DOSbox and VDMsound,
but you could start with the DOS section)

> I have never used D-Fend . There are so many utilities out
> for fixing this and that, it gets very confusing.

Think of D-Fend as just a graphical representation of DOSbox
- click buttons with your mouse instead of typing commands.

> Thanks. MacDevil. Weren't you Maddie at one time?

Yes ;)  - that nickname was one of my former incarnations. ;)
You can just call me Matt ... (verson number not necessary)

Nice to meet you, MaryJ ;)  <*shakes hands*>

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{

<random sig>
He has the wisdom of youth, and the energy of old age.
July 21, 2005 8:00:57 PM

> Mary typed:
> > Its a CD , v 2.01. What is the command for "ioctl" when
> > you are in DOS box?
> > Maybe I should check Dosbox website to see if I can figure
> > anything out.
>
> Robert has answered that below now. (Actually I think the
> 'ioctl' one is only for WinNT/XP, so forget it)

I found that out. I think its also for Win 2000. I have a parition with
Win 2000 on it but I don't use it very often. It was more of an
experiment to test win 2000 but I haven't really studied Win 2k very
much. I do most things in Win 98SE because so far I can run everything I
ever wanted to, in win 98SE. But I might try Win 2000 to see if I can
solve this present problem but right now, its not my OS system that
keeps me back. Its not knowing what I am doing.

> In the folder where you installed DOSbox, there is a helpful
> 'readme.txt' that has the commands, I just remembered.
>
> You could also check the VOGONS forums for help:
> http://vogons.zetafleet.com/
> (They have separate sections for DOSbox and VDMsound,
> but you could start with the DOS section)

I think I will leave it for now. Its making my brain tired and the heat
has gotten to me. Its been too hot here in Toronto. 90F and 95F every
day for the past 3 weeks. Hottest June and July on record.

> > I have never used D-Fend . There are so many utilities out
> > for fixing this and that, it gets very confusing.
>
> Think of D-Fend as just a graphical representation of DOSbox
> - click buttons with your mouse instead of typing commands.
>
> > Thanks. MacDevil. Weren't you Maddie at one time?
>
> Yes ;)  - that nickname was one of my former incarnations. ;)
> You can just call me Matt ... (verson number not necessary)

OK Matt. At least my memory is not completely gone. I remembered you.
What a relief :)

> Nice to meet you, MaryJ ;)  <*shakes hands*>

Same here Matt.

MaryJ (my old sig)
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:01:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Rikard Peterson typed:
> I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000
> and XP only, but taking a look at their web site I see
> that it now runs on all Windowses

;D Whats it got in its pocketses, huh my precious-ss??

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{
July 21, 2005 8:01:23 PM

> Rikard Peterson typed:
> > I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000
> > and XP only, but taking a look at their web site I see
> > that it now runs on all Windowses
>
> ;D Whats it got in its pocketses, huh my precious-ss??

I think Rikard maybe got that from Gollum I just finished Return of the
King DVD. I also have the first two movies. Hard to understand
everything though. I watched all three movies twice now but no doubt
will watch them again sometime. I didn't think I would like those
movies, because when my son was in high school, the books were part of
his curriculum and he mentioned to me that he liked The Hobbit and asked
me to look at it and I remember saying what a boring thing and never
looked at it again. But a movie is different. I find visuals much easier
to understand than books, particularly if the book is complicated (to
me). All the actors were very good in Lord of the Rings. The special
effects were so well done. I don't know how they managed to make such
good movies out of the stories. Peter Jackson is so talented.

MaryJ
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:01:23 PM

"mec-devil" wrote in news:42df1eac@clear.net.nz:

> Rikard Peterson typed:
>> I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000
>> and XP only, but taking a look at their web site I see
>> that it now runs on all Windowses
>
> ;D Whats it got in its pocketses, huh my precious-ss??

:)  Yes, I also thought that when I read what I had written, but when
you have one Windows and then another Windows, what do you get? Two
versions of Windows, I suppose.

But Gollum is fun! And after having seen the behind-the-scenes
documentaries on the movies' DVD's (the best part of the movies
according to my older sister), I also think the actor did an amazing
job.

Rikard
July 22, 2005 12:41:36 AM

<erimess> wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:59:50 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:
>

> >This is where I must be typing the wrong thing.
> >In Dosbox there is a Z:\prompt and you can type intro for more
> >instructions which I did.
> >Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c
c:\sierra
> >(directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is mounted
C:\sierra".
> >So far OK.
> > Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the game,
so
> >I typed cd
> >sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I
tried
> >cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe
and
> >same thing. Obviously doing something wrong.
>
> Here's your problem. You need to mount all drives you are planning to
> use, i.e. the one with the game install and the CD drives.
>
> A few suggestions. You can add the mounting in the configuration
> file, at the bottom, so that you don't have to do this every time.
> So, for instance, type:
>
> mount c: c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe

Thats what I did in the Dosbox screen and after I typed the above, it
said "c drive mounted successfully" or some such thing.

> and then at the Z prompt just type C: and it will go to the directory
> and execute the file automatically. I don't personally put that all
> in the config file until I know everything's working OK though. Of
> course, you don't *need* to do that -- you can do it manually each
> time if you wanna. The first "c:" will be what you type at the Z
> prompt. Everything after that is the path it will follow.

At the Z prompt, I typed C (after it said the C drive was mounted) - the
Intro file said to then type Dir and you would see all your game files,
which I did, then I think I typed go.exe which is supposed to start the
game, but it just hung and that was it. I didn't bother with a
config.file. It makes it more complicated and I just did things
manually, but that doesn't work anyway.

> (Just as a side note, this comes in handy for an old game that insists
> on saving games to a floppy and you wanna save to your hard drive.
> You can type "mount a: c:\gamedirectory\save" or whatever, and when it
> looks for the a: it'll redirect it to the saved game folder. :-))
>
> Then also, supposing your CD drive is d, you also want to type:
>
> mount d: d:\ -t cdrom
>
> The "-t cdrom" will let it know that it's a CD, cause it doesn't know.
> And you have to mount it too or it won't know what "d:" means.

So at the Z prompt, what am I supposed to type? c c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe
and in the next line put mount e: d:\ -t cdrom (for my E drive which is
my DVD rom drive where the game CD is). I also have an F drive, which is
a cdrom drive, but for some reason the Goblins game won't even come on
the screen when I use the cdrom. But if I use the DVD rom drive which is
E, the game will run but will have no sound which is the problem.

> I would also suggest that you uninstall the game. Then mount both the
> C: and CD drives. Then reinstall it FROM Dosbox. So from the Z
> prompt you'd change directory to your CD drive and install like usual.

Well, on the intro in dosbox screen where it tells you how to start the
game, it doesn't mention anything about mounting your cdrom drive.

> See if any of that helps.
>
> Also, in the config file is stuff for sound cards. You might want to
> check the irq, dma, etc., and make sure it matches what you've got.
> There's several popular old sound cards in there. Just scroll through
> all the stuff and have a look around.

I saw SB16 which probably means the old sb16 sound card. I have sblive.
The IRQ, DMA, port, etc. all match what I have.

> If you get this working, I would suggest mounting *all* your drives
> and save that in the config file permanently. Then you can add the
> path to your game below that, and when you start Dosbox it will
> automatically go there and execute your game. When you start a new
> game, you leave all the mounting, but just replace the path with the
> new game.

Those are the things that I don't know what to type or where to type.
For now, I would be satisfied to get things working the manual way, but
that might never happen by the looks of things.

Mary
July 22, 2005 12:49:31 AM

> "Mary" wrote in news:XfidnfZQGszRnELfRVn-tQ@rogers.com:
>
> > I went to sourceforge.net but could only see the download for Win
> > 200/XP/NT. I also went to another site with google search, and it
> > was the same VMsound (version 2.1.0). I find virtual sound stuff
> > confusing. I may have to give up on this.
>
> The strange thing is that while the site says "for MS Windows NT/2000
> DOS boxes", a few lines below it also says "All 32-bit MS Windows
> (95/98/NT/2000/XP)". That is what confused me.

I saw that too, but saw no download for Win 98SE. So yes, it is
confusing..

Reading through the
> documentation I find "VDMSound will only run on Windows NT 4 SP3,
> Windows 2000 or Windows XP. It will not work with Windows 95, 98 or
> Millennium." so I guess you're out of luck there. It looks as if
> DosBox is the best way to get it working for you. If you can get that
> working.

Yes, thats what it looks like. I have Win 2000 installed on my D
partition, but I thought I would try things in win 98SE, that it might
be easier, but now I think nothing is easy about this. Even if I used
Win2000, I wouldn't know how to do that anyway and if it would be any
easier than Win 98SE.

> > Autoexec:
> >
> > LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000
> > SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P300 T6
> > SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
> > C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
> > SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
> >
> > Config:
> >
> > DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
> > DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
> > DOS=HIGH,UMB
> > DEVICEHIGH=C:\HXCD-ROM\CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000
> >
> > (I've tried leaving NOEMS out in config).
> >
> > Mary
>
> Have you tried loading the SB driver high, too? Other than that, I
> have no suggestion. You don't have much stuff in your startup files
> (not even a mouse driver?).

You mean the Sbinit line? or the SEt blaster line?
Yes, I know it doesn't have a mouse driver. I took it out before in
order to put another mouse driver in, but forgot about it. I had the
mouse driver in C:\ so just typed mouse at the C prompt and it got
loaded, but now I put it back in the autoexec.bat. I load the mouse
high. I have a simple autoexec and config because thats all I need. I
think the simpler the better. I haven't played any DOS games for a long
time. It was better in my old machine that didn't have such a fast CPU,
but since I got my new system about a year and a half ago, I haven't
figured how to play some older DOS games, or even if I can. I tried
ScummVM (or whatever its called) and was able to get Fate of Atlantis
going. I found ScummVM much easier to get working than Dos box.

Mary
July 22, 2005 1:00:16 AM

> "Mary" wrote in news:9MCdnarqAurQtkLfRVn-jQ@rogers.com:
>
> > Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c
> > c:\sierra (directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is
> > mounted C:\sierra". So far OK.
> > Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the
> > game, so
> > I typed cd
> > sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I
> > tried cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed
> > C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe and same thing. Obviously doing something
> > wrong.
> >
> > Mary
>
> I may be misunderstanding you here, but it seems to me you might have
> misunderstood the mounting thing. If you mount C:\sierra as C:, DosBox
> treats your C:\sierra folder as your C: drive. What's really
"C:\sierra
> \gob2" on your hard drive becomes "C:\gob2". (Do a dir command to find
> out where you are!) I find it easier to simply mount the entire drive.

In Dosbox, I typed intro at Z prompt, and it gives some instructions.
According to the intro instruction, I typed c: c:\sierra and it then
says below "Drive C is mounted". Then it says "type C at Z prompt" and I
did that and I now have C prompt. Then says to type "dir" and you will
see your game files, which I do see. Then it says "cd will allow you to
enter a directory". You can run programs whichi end with exe, bat and
com. At that point I am still at the C prompt, and not sure what to
type after cd or what I am supposed to type next, If I type
cd\sierra\gob2\go.exe, it says "unable to change drive" . Thats where I
get stuck.

> DosBox is complicated.

You're telling me!! (at least for me it is)

Mary
July 22, 2005 1:03:07 AM

<erimess> wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:01:44 -0400, erimess wrote:
>

> >mount c: c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe
>
> Another P.S. LOL!!!
>
> It just occurs to me. This thing is actually more like Unix. Which I
> know very little about and am not sure whether the full path on one
> line like that works. I never do it that way so I've never had the
> opportunity to find out.
>
> Right now mine looks like this:
> mount g: g:\
> MOUNT m: m:\ -t cdrom
> mount n: n:\ -t cdrom
> g:
> cd conquest [mec-devil, don't laugh!!]
> cnwmain
>
> So you might try instead one line at a time, that is:
> c:
> cd sierra
> cd gob2
> go
>
> Oh, oh, oh, and no "exe"!!! Just "go"
>
> I honestly have no clue whether this is part of your problem or not,
> but can't hurt to try.

I don't know either and am becoming more confused than I was at the
start, if that is possible. :)
Do you mean after I get the c drive mounted successfully, and I get a C
prompt, that I should type cd sierra in one line, cd gob2 in the next
line and go in the next line?

Mary
July 22, 2005 1:09:34 AM

<erimess> wrote in message
> P.S. You can change the cycle speed with F keys. F12 will speed it
> up and F11 will slow it down. Dosbox should slow it down so you
> shouldn't need the Moslo. In fact, everything seems to run *too* slow
> for me and I always have to speed them up.

I had Moslo and tried to run it and forget how it works, so didn't get
it to run. I will forget about it for now I think. I have enough trouble
concentrating on one thing at a time. I am definitely not a multi
tasker.

> The F keys are a good way to experiment until you decide where you
> want it. I think it goes by 1000's. So just keep count of how many
> times you hit F12, and then you can go in and add it to the number in
> the config file so it will always do that for the game. I think it
> defaults at something like 1500, so if that thing about the sound card
> needing it under 3000 is true, then that's not

That is over my head. You and the others who replied to my original
post, seem to have had a lot of experience at these virtual drives? and
have a good idea what to do. I wish I could say the same thing for
myself. Oh well, it got a thread going which brought out some "old"
regulars. So the adventure NG is not dead. We need some new games which
require lively discussions from our old regulars to revive the NG and
bring back our former glory :)  - Oh well, sounds good.

Mary
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:13:44 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:00:16 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:

>In Dosbox, I typed intro at Z prompt, and it gives some instructions.
>According to the intro instruction, I typed c: c:\sierra and it then
>says below "Drive C is mounted". Then it says "type C at Z prompt" and I
>did that and I now have C prompt. Then says to type "dir" and you will
>see your game files, which I do see. Then it says "cd will allow you to
>enter a directory". You can run programs whichi end with exe, bat and
>com. At that point I am still at the C prompt, and not sure what to
>type after cd or what I am supposed to type next, If I type
>cd\sierra\gob2\go.exe, it says "unable to change drive" . Thats where I
>get stuck.

It's unable to change drives cause "go.exe" isn't a folder. It's an
executable. At the very least, leave off the ".exe". I honestly
don't remember whether the executable needs to be on a separate line
than the path, but you could try:
cd\sierra\gob2
go

>> DosBox is complicated.
>
>You're telling me!! (at least for me it is)

Doing basic things on it isn't that complicated once you get some idea
of how it's working. Even after everything I blabbered about it, I
really know very little of what can be done with it. I don't *need*
to know anything else, at least as of yet. :-)

OK, let's start over. Since you'd already mentioned doing some of
this other stuff, I thought you had already familiarized yourself with
Dosbox so I went on that assumption. And I guess I also assumed since
you got as far as you did that you already know DOS, and maybe you
don't.

Let's try this. Just do the following verbatim. There are some
unknown's from my end, so I don't know if it all *needs* to be done
this way, but it won't hurt. So just try this and see what happens
and if it gets into the game:

mount c: c:\
mount e: e:\ -t cdrom [that's a Tee in case your font makes it look
funny]
c:
cd sierra
cd gob2
go

Just try that and see if it gets into the game at all or gets hung up
or gives you weird messages.

If that doesn't work, I would then suggest you uninstall the game, and
reinstall from within Dosbox. I always install from Dosbox because I
know it works and saves me the trouble of finding out the hard way.
:-)

Which consists of the above steps, except you have to stop and install
the game. So:

mount c: c:\
mount e: e:\ -t cdrom

Then stop and install how you normally would. I assume that means
something like
e:
install

Once installed, continue what you were doing:
c:
cd sierra
cd gob2
go

If you leave Dosbox in the middle of any of that, you will have to
start over with the mounting each time you return.

Since I don't know if you need to run any configuration for the game,
I'd rather not go there if it's going to confuse matters. So just try
the above and if it doesn't work, report back what happened. If it
does work, great.

If it works, but you still have other issues, at least you learned how
to get in the game for now. Once you get that part down, then if you
want, you can learn how to configure other stuff, and how to save it
so you don't have to keep repeating all this manually every time. If
you want to continue to use it for old games (and it's a great
emulator), then it would help if you eventually learned more.

I'm also not going to answer the other posts for right now because I
don't want to confuse things even more. (Like some comments about
what you said about your sound card.) That can be dealt with later if
you get this to work.

---
erimess

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:58:35 PM

"Mary" wrote in news:MKqdnUfWzJu_333fRVn-pA@rogers.com:

>> Have you tried loading the SB driver high, too?
>
> You mean the Sbinit line? or the SEt blaster line?

I meant the sbinit line. The set blaster line is not a driver, it's not
even a program. What it does is that it sets an environment variable
that programs can read in order to get information about the sound
card. ("The sound card is at address 220, uses interrupt 7, DMA channel
1, high DMA 5...") The same goes for the other Set commands.

Rikard
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:02:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Erimess typed:
> cd conquest [mec-devil, don't laugh!!]

ROFL! :)  I cannot help but laugh! ;D :)

(I probably laughed even *more* because you put
that in brackets ;D)

So you're still- *still* playing Conquest? ;)  This
is just incredible.

(Admittedly, I'm still saving my Lemmings :)  after
all this time, but even so...)

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{
July 22, 2005 9:02:33 PM

> Erimess typed:
> > cd conquest [mec-devil, don't laugh!!]
>
> ROFL! :)  I cannot help but laugh! ;D :)
>
> (I probably laughed even *more* because you put
> that in brackets ;D)
>
> So you're still- *still* playing Conquest? ;)  This
> is just incredible.
>
> (Admittedly, I'm still saving my Lemmings :)  after
> all this time, but even so...)

I started to play Lemmings about two years ago and it got so difficult,
I had to give up because I couldn't get past one of the levels. I forget
which version of Lemmings it was. It was on CD. I think it was Oh no,
not more Lemmings. Its kind of a different kind of game. I think I have
the saves from it on a floppy, but never went back to it. I found a
walkthrough for it at one time, but even that couldn't get me past the
level I got stuck at.

MaryJ
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:02:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:02:32 +1200, "mec-devil"
<delusions@fools.paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>Erimess typed:
>> cd conquest [mec-devil, don't laugh!!]
>
>ROFL! :)  I cannot help but laugh! ;D :)
>
>(I probably laughed even *more* because you put
>that in brackets ;D)
>
>So you're still- *still* playing Conquest? ;)  This
>is just incredible.

I only installed it a year and a half ago, what's your problem? :-)

Actually, I just play it in between other stuff. I *have* played
seven Nancy Drews since about last November, so yes, I have been doing
something else. I've just been so busy that I haven't wanted to start
anything long and involved (I keep saying that), so I just keep
returning to Conquest. Besides, it's the only thing I've played using
Dosbox for quite a while, so that config file just sits there looking
the same way all the time. :-)

However, I just ordered a box 'o games. Actually, most of it I'm just
going to re-sell. But it had a couple of things I wanted. And I
never would've played it otherwise, but since it was included in the
gang, I'm actually going to take a crack at Dungeon Siege.

---
erimess

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:39:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Erimess typed:
[Re: DOSbox cycles]
> So just keep count of how many times you hit F12,
> and then you can go in and add it to the number in
> the config file so it will always do that for the game.

The current cycles are on the DOSbox title bar if you're
not full-screen, too.

(Note to MaryJ: when we're talking about cycles, it just
means what speed of computer DOSbox is emulating. So
3000 cycles is probably around a 386 20Mhz or so, for
example (I'm not sure what it corresponds to exactly ?)

The funny thing about it is, you need a *GHz* computer
to actually get it to emulate a 15 year old computer ;D

> I think it defaults at something like 1500, so if that
> thing about the sound card needing it under 3000 is
> true, then that's not

Only *some* games, such as my favourite Lemmings. :)
I'd already turned the cycles up, because ... well, I'm a
speed-demon (devil?) ;D If the cycles are too high, there
is no SB sound, game can only detect PC speaker (bah!)
Depends on the game, I guess.

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{

<random sig>
If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 9:39:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:39:41 +1200, "mec-devil"
<delusions@fools.paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>Erimess typed:
>[Re: DOSbox cycles]
>> So just keep count of how many times you hit F12,
>> and then you can go in and add it to the number in
>> the config file so it will always do that for the game.
>
>The current cycles are on the DOSbox title bar if you're
>not full-screen, too.

I always have it set to full screen so I've never seen that.

>(Note to MaryJ: when we're talking about cycles, it just
>means what speed of computer DOSbox is emulating. So
>3000 cycles is probably around a 386 20Mhz or so, for
>example (I'm not sure what it corresponds to exactly ?)

From what I heard, nothing.

>The funny thing about it is, you need a *GHz* computer
>to actually get it to emulate a 15 year old computer ;D

Probably cause it slows it down so dang much. :-)

>> I think it defaults at something like 1500, so if that
>> thing about the sound card needing it under 3000 is
>> true, then that's not
>
>Only *some* games, such as my favourite Lemmings. :)
>I'd already turned the cycles up, because ... well, I'm a
>speed-demon (devil?) ;D If the cycles are too high, there
>is no SB sound, game can only detect PC speaker (bah!)
>Depends on the game, I guess.

Well, it does default at something regardless of the game, but of
course that just about always needs changed. It also seems to me that
once I got it up to about 13500 or so it wouldn't go any faster. And
the sound on my game doesn't work real great, it's kind of off and on.
But I've tried probably every sound card and each one has its own
problems. That could be entirely a game issue, I don't know. For my
game the sound isn't too terribly important. It's worked for other
stuff just fine though. Except it doesn't support CD sound, which has
always bugged me. If a game is old enough, I figure it's not
mattering much anymore though. :-)

---
erimess

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:30:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Mary typed:
> I started to play Lemmings about two years ago
> and it got so difficult, I had to give up because
> I couldn't get past one of the levels. I forget
> which version of Lemmings it was. It was on CD.
> I think it was Oh no, not more Lemmings.

Yes! :)  'Oh No! More Lemmings' is probably the most
difficult of all of them, one for the veterans. ;)  I'm
only half way through it myself, but I decided to go
save a less tricky Lemmings and get back to it later,
because it was getting too frustrating.

> Its kind of a different kind of game. I think I
> have the saves from it on a floppy, but never went
> back to it. I found a walkthrough for it at one time,
> but even that couldn't get me past the level I got
> stuck at.

Lemmings *can* be difficult to save sometimes, not
so much because of the puzzles, but the execution :)

(Not executing the Lemmings ;D :\, but executing the
puzzles - need very precise clicking sometimes)

(Executing the Lemmings, on the other hand, extremely
easy. ;)  But we must not give in to temptation! ;D)

At any rate, they are incredibly addictive (and cute!)

Lemmings, you see, they *need* saving. In fact, I dare
say they *want* to be saved. ;)  And so, I have devoted
my life to saving the Lemmings.

(Mwahah)

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{

<random sig>
Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:18:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Mary typed:
> So at the Z prompt, what am I supposed to type?

Ok, let us review what we have so far.

MaryJ, type each line into DOSbox (pressing enter
after each line):

mount c: c:\
mount e: e:\ -t cdrom
c:
cd sierra
cd gob2
go

This is assuming you have already installed the game
into the 'c:\sierra\gob2' directory.

However, as Erimess suggested, you might want to
try re-installing the game, in which case type:

mount c: c:\
mount e: e:\ -t cdrom
e:
install

This is assuming there is an 'e:\install.exe' file on
your Gobliins 2 CD (replace filename if needed)

Explanation:

The two mount commands above should give you
access to C: (you HD) and E: (your DVD). Then
all you need do is navigate as if you were in DOS-
for example: typing 'e:' switches to E drive, typing
'cd sierra' changes directories, typing 'dir' shows
you the disc contents, etc...

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{

<random sig>
There is an exception to every rule, except this one.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:34:37 AM

Mary wrote:
> This message didn't seem to go through last night. So I will re-post.
>
> I installed Goblins 2, CD version, but can't get the sound to work. Its
> DOS based and says its better to play it in DOS (as in Exit to MSDOS in
> Win 98SE). There is a setup file for win 95, but that didn't seem to
> work too well. The game starts and plays OK but there is no sound and
> the choices for choosing sound are all dimmed out except for No sound.
> There is a patch for on the CD to fid some sound cards but that didn't
> help. I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version I got) but that
> hung my computer, if I did it right. I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive which
> has the line installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody have any
> ideas.? Its been a long time since I played this game (or any DOS games)
> and can't remember if I had this sound problem before.
>
> Mary

Mary, I think you know my experience with Gobliiins and Gobliins 2.
Neither one would work on my PII 400 with my SBLive. I played
a lot of DOS games with the SBLive on that computer, including
Ripper, Sherlock Holmes and the Rose Tattoo, and Pandora Directive.
But Gobliiins and Gobliins 2 just crashed to a black screen.
They don't like the way the SBLive emulates DOS sound.
So I think you can forget about playing that game using your
config.sys and autoexec.bat.

Which means it will have to be played using something like
either DOSBox or VDMSound. And if you're using either of
those, it's best to do it booted to Win 2000 because they
were originally developed for Win 2000 and XP and are
better tested and debugged for those OS.
July 23, 2005 2:06:56 AM

<erimess> wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:59:50 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:

> >This is where I must be typing the wrong thing.
> >In Dosbox there is a Z:\prompt and you can type intro for more
> >instructions which I did.
> >Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c
c:\sierra
> >(directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is mounted
C:\sierra".
> >So far OK.
> > Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the game,
so
> >I typed cd
> >sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I
tried
> >cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe
and
> >same thing. Obviously doing something wrong.
>
> Here's your problem. You need to mount all drives you are planning to
> use, i.e. the one with the game install and the CD drives.

I worked on the problem this afternoon for a couple of hours and still
haven't got it going. When I read the Intro on the Dosbox screen, it
said type Intro for instructions, which I did, and it said here is some
instructions to get you going and it only mention ed mount c: c:\ so not
knowing anything about Dosbox program or virtual drives, I thought thats
all you had to do.
I didn't know you had to mount the CD rom drive. You have to look at
another area to find out that information.

> A few suggestions. You can add the mounting in the configuration
> file, at the bottom, so that you don't have to do this every time.
> So, for instance, type:
>
> mount c: c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe
>
> and then at the Z prompt just type C: and it will go to the directory
> and execute the file automatically. I don't personally put that all
> in the config file until I know everything's working OK though. Of
> course, you don't *need* to do that -- you can do it manually each
> time if you wanna. The first "c:" will be what you type at the Z
> prompt. Everything after that is the path it will follow.

For now, I won't try to create a config for this till I know what I am
doing. I will just do it manually for now. more work, but easier for me
for now. By the way do you mean the config.sys or the config file in
Dosbox. program?

> (Just as a side note, this comes in handy for an old game that insists
> on saving games to a floppy and you wanna save to your hard drive.
> You can type "mount a: c:\gamedirectory\save" or whatever, and when it
> looks for the a: it'll redirect it to the saved game folder. :-))
>
> Then also, supposing your CD drive is d, you also want to type:
>
> mount d: d:\ -t cdrom
>
> The "-t cdrom" will let it know that it's a CD, cause it doesn't know.
> And you have to mount it too or it won't know what "d:" means.

Thats what I wasn't doing because I didn't know I had to do that.

> I would also suggest that you uninstall the game. Then mount both the
> C: and CD drives. Then reinstall it FROM Dosbox. So from the Z
> prompt you'd change directory to your CD drive and install like usual.
>
> See if any of that helps.

This is what I did this afternoon in detail right from a new Install.

In Dosbox there is a Z:\ prompt, so at the Z prompt, I typed "mount c:
c:\ " - then Enter and it said "mounted c local directory successfully"
or similar. In next line with still a Z prompt, I typed "mount e: e:
/ -t cdrom" Enter. And it says "E drive mounted successfullY" and right
below that
line it says "MSCDEX loaded" which we didn't discuss at all but that is
loaded. Then still with a Z prompt, I typed C:\ at the Z prompt and it
changed to C drive. At this point, I guess the C prompt will give me all
my files on my "real" C drive? Then I typed "install" and the install
program came up on the screen, and Soundblaster was already inserted as
the sound card. Before, it said No sound and soundblaster was dimmed
out. The game is now installed, so I am back at C prompt in Dos box and
I typed cd sierra\gob2 Enter, then go, and the next screen was black and
blank with a big cursor and that was it. It never went anywhere. There
was no lilght flickering on the CD drive where the CD was and no hard
drive flickering. so looks like the drive is not detected. Yet, when I
go to E in Dosbox, or Dos in Windows or Windows explorer, the files on
Goblins CD show up. My E drive is a DVD rom, and I tried all of the
above on F drive which is a cdrom drive, but made no difference. So this
time because I mounted the cdrom drive I guess, I can get the
soundblaster choice, but the game won't come up on the screen at all.
When I didn't mount the CDrom drive at all, I got the game on the
screen, but there was no sound and soundblaster was dimmed out on the
install. Now, I can't get the game to show on the screen at all.

I went back to the Help file in Dosbox program, and there are a lot of
instructions, and it said if the basic instructions for mounting the
cdrom drive doesn't work, you may need to type the CD label. What CD
label? I've never had to do that with any game.

> Also, in the config file is stuff for sound cards. You might want to
> check the irq, dma, etc., and make sure it matches what you've got.
> There's several popular old sound cards in there. Just scroll through
> all the stuff and have a look around.

Sb16 is there. Doesn't mention sblive. The irq,dma etc. matches my
autoexec.bat.

> If you get this working, I would suggest mounting *all* your drives
> and save that in the config file permanently. Then you can add the
> path to your game below that, and when you start Dosbox it will
> automatically go there and execute your game. When you start a new
> game, you leave all the mounting, but just replace the path with the
> new game.

You are probably right, but for now I think it better if I don't concern
myself with a config file right now till I know what I am doing (if
ever). Right now, I am getting very frustrated and not going to spend
much more time on this if I am not able to understand it and get it
going soon.

Mary
July 23, 2005 2:08:14 AM

<erimess> wrote in message
news:D tlud1drj7pokf8kuvv3a429gfofl8brem@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:01:44 -0400, erimess wrote:
>

> >Here's your problem. You need to mount all drives you are planning
> >use, i.e. the one with the game install and the CD drives.
>
> Another P.S. I just realized I read something you typed wrong. I saw
> the "cd" and you meant change directory, and my eye just said CD
> drive. :-)
>
> But everything I said was true anyway. I just don't know if that's
> your problem. It's possible it's looking for that CD to run. And I
> would definitely install it from within Dosbox.

It looks like it can't find the Cd drive or the CD even though it says
the cdrom is mounted..

Mary
July 23, 2005 2:12:36 AM

> Mary typed:
> > I started to play Lemmings about two years ago
> > and it got so difficult, I had to give up because
> > I couldn't get past one of the levels. I forget
> > which version of Lemmings it was. It was on CD.
> > I think it was Oh no, not more Lemmings.
>
> Yes! :)  'Oh No! More Lemmings' is probably the most
> difficult of all of them, one for the veterans. ;)  I'm
> only half way through it myself, but I decided to go
> save a less tricky Lemmings and get back to it later,
> because it was getting too frustrating.

I had to give up on Lemmings as it became very difficult. I haven't seen
any new Lemmings since Oh no more Lemmings in any of the game software
stores I go to, have you? At least I think thats the version I have,
though not positive. It was fun for a while, till I couldn't go any
further.

> > Its kind of a different kind of game. I think I
> > have the saves from it on a floppy, but never went
> > back to it. I found a walkthrough for it at one time,
> > but even that couldn't get me past the level I got
> > stuck at.
>
> Lemmings *can* be difficult to save sometimes, not
> so much because of the puzzles, but the execution :)

Because its time limited, it can be annoying though. But its fun till
you get to the really difficult parts.

> At any rate, they are incredibly addictive (and cute!)

The music is kind of catchy, but the game can be frustrating because of
having to do the same thing over and over if you don't succeed on a
level.

> Lemmings, you see, they *need* saving. In fact, I dare
> say they *want* to be saved. ;)  And so, I have devoted
> my life to saving the Lemmings.

A worthy cause :)

Mary
July 23, 2005 2:22:57 AM

<erimess> wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:00:16 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:
>

> >In Dosbox, I typed intro at Z prompt, and it gives some instructions.
> >According to the intro instruction, I typed c: c:\sierra and it then
> >says below "Drive C is mounted". Then it says "type C at Z prompt"
and I
> >did that and I now have C prompt. Then says to type "dir" and you
will
> >see your game files, which I do see. Then it says "cd will allow you
> >enter a directory". You can run programs whichi end with exe, bat and
> >com. At that point I am still at the C prompt, and not sure what to
> >type after cd or what I am supposed to type next, If I type
> >cd\sierra\gob2\go.exe, it says "unable to change drive" . Thats where
> >get stuck.
>
> It's unable to change drives cause "go.exe" isn't a folder. It's an
> executable. At the very least, leave off the ".exe". I honestly
> don't remember whether the executable needs to be on a separate line
> than the path, but you could try:
> cd\sierra\gob2
> go

I tried various ways of typing cd\sierra\gob2, then tried sierra\ enter,
then gob2. Different ways were tried, but I don't think thats the
problem anyway.

> >> DosBox is complicated.
> >
> >You're telling me!! (at least for me it is)
>
> Doing basic things on it isn't that complicated once you get some idea
> of how it's working. Even after everything I blabbered about it, I
> really know very little of what can be done with it. I don't *need*
> to know anything else, at least as of yet. :-)

Well, of course, everything is easy when you know how, but to get it
started and to fully understand it, is not easy in my opinion, and even
Rikard mentioned it was complicated, and in the FAQ's in DOSbox one of
the questions was "your FAQ's for Dosbox are fine, but I still don't
understand some thing" and the answer was " go to XXX" for more
information. So I am not the only one who is "slow". Maybe you are a
fast thinker or catch on quicker to some things than me.

> OK, let's start over. Since you'd already mentioned doing some of
> this other stuff, I thought you had already familiarized yourself with
> Dosbox so I went on that assumption. And I guess I also assumed since
> you got as far as you did that you already know DOS, and maybe you
> don't.

Yes, I am familiar with DOS as that was the only OS when I got a
computer in 1990, so I
was brought up on it since there was no other OS in existence at the
time. But knowing DOS and knowing how to understand DOS box program is
two different things. I know most all commands in real DOS, but that
doesn't help me to understand how a virtual device works. It involves
some DOS commands, but you have to know what to type in and understand
the program which really doesn't have a lot to do with real DOS.

> Let's try this. Just do the following verbatim. There are some
> unknown's from my end, so I don't know if it all *needs* to be done
> this way, but it won't hurt. So just try this and see what happens
> and if it gets into the game:
>
> mount c: c:\
> mount e: e:\ -t cdrom [that's a Tee in case your font makes it look
> funny]
> c:
> cd sierra
> cd gob2
> go
>
> Just try that and see if it gets into the game at all or gets hung up
> or gives you weird messages.

I tried the above several times. I just get a black/blank screen with a
big pointer for a cursor and the screen just stays there. I can usually
close it, but sometimes it locks and I have to reboot.

> If that doesn't work, I would then suggest you uninstall the game, and
> reinstall from within Dosbox. I always install from Dosbox because I
> know it works and saves me the trouble of finding out the hard way.
> :-)

I tried that too.

I deleted the rest of your message as it was repeats of things we have
already discussed.
Thanks for all your suggestions though.

Mary
July 23, 2005 2:28:10 AM

> Mary typed:
> > So at the Z prompt, what am I supposed to type?
>
> Ok, let us review what we have so far.
>
> MaryJ, type each line into DOSbox (pressing enter
> after each line):
>
> mount c: c:\
> mount e: e:\ -t cdrom
> c:
> cd sierra
> cd gob2
> go
>
> This is assuming you have already installed the game
> into the 'c:\sierra\gob2' directory.

Did all the above. I just get a black/blank screen and a big pointer for
a cursor and nothing ever appears on the screen. The cdrom does not
light up. I tried installing the game in F drive which is my cdrom
drive, but that didn't do any good. See my message to Erimess.

> However, as Erimess suggested, you might want to
> try re-installing the game, in which case type:
>
> mount c: c:\
> mount e: e:\ -t cdrom
> e:
> install
>
> This is assuming there is an 'e:\install.exe' file on
> your Gobliins 2 CD (replace filename if needed)
>
> Explanation:
>
> The two mount commands above should give you
> access to C: (you HD) and E: (your DVD). Then
> all you need do is navigate as if you were in DOS-
> for example: typing 'e:' switches to E drive, typing
> 'cd sierra' changes directories, typing 'dir' shows
> you the disc contents, etc...

After mounting both C and E drives, I changed to E drive to install the
game (after uninstalling the old one), and then went to C:\ drive after
installation, and that should have put me back to using my C drive (in
DOS box program) and then cd\sierra or cd sierra\gob2, then typing go,
should have worked, but it didn.t. I don't know why. No lights went on
the DVD rom and this game runs from the CD a lot so if it recognized the
CD and the CD rom, the light would be flickering.

Mary
July 23, 2005 2:41:35 AM

> "Mary" wrote in news:MKqdnUfWzJu_333fRVn-pA@rogers.com:
>
> >> Have you tried loading the SB driver high, too?
> >
> > You mean the Sbinit line? or the SEt blaster line?
>
> I meant the sbinit line. The set blaster line is not a driver, it's
not
> even a program. What it does is that it sets an environment variable
> that programs can read in order to get information about the sound
> card. ("The sound card is at address 220, uses interrupt 7, DMA
channel
> 1, high DMA 5...") The same goes for the other Set commands.

Yes, the sbinit line had LH in front of it, (you can use LH instead of
putting Loadhigh fully).
But when I typed in Auto after EMM386.EXE it takes out the LH at the
start of sbinit in the autoexec. It says this somwhere. I think in the
Dosbox help file. I didn't know it did that, because I've never used
Auto after EMM386.EXE, I have put RAM before, and sometimes that has
helped in older games, but not this time.
Thanks anyway.

Mary
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:56:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"mec-devil" <delusions@fools.paradise.net.nz> schreef in bericht
> Rikard Peterson typed:
> > I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000
> > and XP only, but taking a look at their web site I see
> > that it now runs on all Windowses
>
> ;D Whats it got in its pocketses, huh my precious-ss??
>

> --
> };> Matt v3.2 <.{

Haha ;-)
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:13:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Erimess typed:
> OK, let's start over. [...]

That was my thinking exactly. ;)

(I typed out basically the same instructions you did
in a post further up, if it sync'd properly, about five
minutes after you did)

<*gets on the same page as dragon*>

Now we just have to see if it works. ;)

MaryJ: Do not give up! We're getting very close! :)

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{
July 23, 2005 3:13:16 AM

> Erimess typed:
> > OK, let's start over. [...]
>
> That was my thinking exactly. ;)
>
> (I typed out basically the same instructions you did
> in a post further up, if it sync'd properly, about five
> minutes after you did)
>
> <*gets on the same page as dragon*>
>
> Now we just have to see if it works. ;)
>
> MaryJ: Do not give up! We're getting very close! :)

The only thing I got solved was seeing the soundblaster choice upon
installation of the game, but that wasn't much good when the game still
won't run.
I am about to give up. I've spent enough time on it and my thinking cap
is worn out :)

Mary
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 5:33:25 AM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:22:57 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:

>> >You're telling me!! (at least for me it is)
>>
>> Doing basic things on it isn't that complicated once you get some idea
>> of how it's working. Even after everything I blabbered about it, I
>> really know very little of what can be done with it. I don't *need*
>> to know anything else, at least as of yet. :-)
>
>Well, of course, everything is easy when you know how, but to get it
>started and to fully understand it, is not easy in my opinion, and even
>Rikard mentioned it was complicated, and in the FAQ's in DOSbox one of
>the questions was "your FAQ's for Dosbox are fine, but I still don't
>understand some thing" and the answer was " go to XXX" for more
>information. So I am not the only one who is "slow". Maybe you are a
>fast thinker or catch on quicker to some things than me.

If you already know DOS, then to *get started* with just some basics,
all you really need to understand about it is how to mount the drives.
(Out of all that set of verbatim instructions I gave, only mounting
the drives, two lines, had anything to do with Dosbox. The rest was
DOS.)

Now, it can *get* complicated when you start having problems or you
want to start configuring things in different ways. You just learn
that over time. Believing ahead of time that it's difficult (and
getting confirmation of your belief) is setting yourself up to have a
difficult time of things. I'd rather believe that if you take it one
step at a time that you're capable of learning it.

And not because *I* already know it, but because *you* are capable of
learning it.

But you've got 10 different people telling you how to do stuff, and
because it sounded like you'd already done some reading I know I
assumed you knew more than you did. Which means we need to take a
step back. And it would also help if you stopped reading the help
files because they STINK!! :-) They used to be even worse and I had
no clue what they were talking about. So I learned it here and a guy
also posted a beginner's guide on the forums at the site. So I'd
suggest not even reading the instructions until you get more
comfortable with the basics. Or maybe go try to find that beginner's
guide thing.

>> OK, let's start over. Since you'd already mentioned doing some of
>> this other stuff, I thought you had already familiarized yourself with
>> Dosbox so I went on that assumption. And I guess I also assumed since
>> you got as far as you did that you already know DOS, and maybe you
>> don't.
>
>Yes, I am familiar with DOS as that was the only OS when I got a
>computer in 1990, so I
>was brought up on it since there was no other OS in existence at the
>time. But knowing DOS and knowing how to understand DOS box program is
>two different things. I know most all commands in real DOS, but that
>doesn't help me to understand how a virtual device works. It involves
>some DOS commands, but you have to know what to type in and understand
>the program which really doesn't have a lot to do with real DOS.

I never claimed otherwise. I just meant that I whizzed through a lot
of stuff because I thought you already knew DOS *and* that you had
already messed with the Dosbox more than you have.

If you're already comfortable with DOS, then you've already got a good
deal of the problem of learning Dosbox solved, whether you see that
now or not. If you get some basics of Dosbox down, that statement
might make more sense later.

Since you followed the instructions verbatim, then I think something
else is going on if you're just getting a blank screen and it's
locking up. That may have absolutely nothing to do with Dosbox
itself. But since you gave more detail in the other post, I'm going
to switch over to that.

---
erimess

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 5:41:25 AM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:23:29 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:

>> I can't remember
>> because it's *ages* since I configured DOSBox. I seem to recall that
>if
>> you have more than one optical device, you might need to tell DOSBox
>> which number it is. -usecd 0 for the first device, and -usecd 1 for
>the
>> second. I think.
>
>Well, that could be a possibility. I really don't know. It doesn't
>mention this in the dosbox program Help file but I found some of the
>instructions in the help file are not fully clear, or maybe its just me.
>Where would you type usecd 0? in " mount e: e:/ -t =usecd 0" for
>example? rather than just mount e: e:/ -t cdrom? Is that what you mean?
>When I mount e: or f: whichever drive I tried to get the game going
>with, I wouldn't have thought I would need to specify further which
>drive I am using such as typing usecd 0 or whatever, but I could be
>wrong.

It's like this:
mount E E:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0
This is, you're adding the "-usecd 0" to the end of what you already
typed. This is also based on the assumption that E is really the
first one. And based on that assumption the other one would be
mount F F:\ -t cdrom -usecd 1
Sometimes those drives end up backwards for whatever reason. (My
dad's old computer they were.) So E might be 1 and F might be 0.
You'd just have to experiment with that.

You can also try:
mount E E:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -aspi
I don't even know what the "-aspi" is for. It's just in the list of
stuff to try if the other ones don't work.

Does anyone know if these drive letters are case sensitive? I didn't
think so but could be wrong.

---
erimess

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 6:10:01 AM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:38:43 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:

><erimess> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:49:31 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:
>>

>> >Reading through the
>or
>that
>> >
>> >Yes, thats what it looks like. I have Win 2000 installed on my D
>> >partition, but I thought I would try things in win 98SE, that it
>might
>> >be easier, but now I think nothing is easy about this. Even if I used
>> >Win2000, I wouldn't know how to do that anyway and if it would be any
>> >easier than Win 98SE.
>>
>> Well, yeah, except you could try the VDMSound with W2K. You can also
>> add to that a thing called VDMLaunchpad.
>
>I won't bother with that. I have enough problems trying to figure out
>Win 98SE Dosbox stuff.

Just as a note, VDMSound *can* get very complicated with a lot of
configuration stuff, etc. I don't know how to do any of it cause I've
only used it with one game and it worked "as is."

However, if you don't need to do any type of configuration, there is
nothing to "figure out."

All you need to do is install VDMSound. Then RIGHT-click on the .exe
file (in this case "go"), and you will see a choice near the top that
says "run with VDMSound." You click on that.

If it works, you've tried something relatively simple. If it doesn't,
then it might require the difficult configuring, but you can just give
up at that point and uninstall the thing and not much time and effort
lost.

If you give up on everything else, you can always give this a quick
try. The whole point of VDMsound is that it emulates an SB16
regardless of what you have. Since you are having sound difficulties,
this might be worth giving a shot.

---
erimess

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
July 23, 2005 8:10:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

> Yes, I am familiar with DOS as that was the only OS when I got a
> computer in 1990, so I
> was brought up on it since there was no other OS in existence at the
> time.

Not technically true. There were a whole bunch of Unixes popular at the
time, and it wasn't long till Linux was doing its thing. And wasn't
DR-DOS around this time? I know you could run Windows on it, despite
Microsoft saying you couldn't.

Not that any of this matters, particularly. Just sticking my oar in, I
suppose.

But knowing DOS and knowing how to understand DOS box program is
> two different things. I know most all commands in real DOS, but that
> doesn't help me to understand how a virtual device works. It involves
> some DOS commands, but you have to know what to type in and understand
> the program which really doesn't have a lot to do with real DOS.

Most of the (usual) commands are pretty much the same. Although the
whole mounting thing isn't a DOS thing, just an artifact of it being an
emulator. Of course, if you want authentic you could always go for
Bochs. It's a machine emulator, and you specify all the architectural
parameters that you want it to emulate. And then install proper DOS on
it, if you want to run proper DOS. It's a bit slow, though, since it's
emulating *everything* in software, rather than the almost everything
that DOSBox does.

CK
July 23, 2005 8:10:33 AM

"CK" <CatKiller@nospamplease.Bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:D bscbk$5vi$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > Yes, I am familiar with DOS as that was the only OS when I got a
> > computer in 1990, so I
> > was brought up on it since there was no other OS in existence at the
> > time.
>
> Not technically true. There were a whole bunch of Unixes popular at
the
> time, and it wasn't long till Linux was doing its thing. And wasn't
> DR-DOS around this time? I know you could run Windows on it, despite
> Microsoft saying you couldn't.

True, but you must admit, for the PC in 1990, such as my first 286 IBM
compatible, Microsoft had its hand already into the PC market and had
the share. It would have been unusual to buy a PC at a store, which had
any other OS than DOS installed as the stores had DOS installed in the
PC when you bought it. Maybe some people installed Unix if they knew
what they were doing and were computer geeks, but most people had DOS on
their systems as thats what the store already had it installed before
you bought it. MS still have the lions share of the PC market as an OS,
only its Win XP now instead of DOS and will be Longhorn in another year.

> Not that any of this matters, particularly. Just sticking my oar in, I
> suppose.
>
> But knowing DOS and knowing how to understand DOS box program is
> > two different things. I know most all commands in real DOS, but that
> > doesn't help me to understand how a virtual device works. It
involves
> > some DOS commands, but you have to know what to type in and
understand
> > the program which really doesn't have a lot to do with real DOS.
>
> Most of the (usual) commands are pretty much the same. Although the
> whole mounting thing isn't a DOS thing, just an artifact of it being
an
> emulator.

Thats what I meant. There are only a few DOS commands which Dosbox tells
you, if you are successful in getting dosbox program to function
properly. You don't really need to know a lot about DOS.

Of course, if you want authentic you could always go for
> Bochs. It's a machine emulator, and you specify all the architectural
> parameters that you want it to emulate. And then install proper DOS on
> it, if you want to run proper DOS. It's a bit slow, though, since it's
> emulating *everything* in software, rather than the almost everything
> that DOSBox does.

Ackkk. thats going even more over my head. Never heard of Bochs.I think
for now, I better stick to trying to either success with doscbox to get
my game going, or give up and forget about it for now at least, till my
frustration level goes down :)

Mary
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:09:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Mary, there is a later game call "Lemmings Revolution" for Windows 98 &
98Se. Plays great in Windows XP. Its nice and is a 3D world. Just as
aggravating at times, but nicer scenery.
Joan

!