Help needed on Goblins 2 - DOS game

Mary

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

This message didn't seem to go through last night. So I will re-post.

I installed Goblins 2, CD version, but can't get the sound to work. Its
DOS based and says its better to play it in DOS (as in Exit to MSDOS in
Win 98SE). There is a setup file for win 95, but that didn't seem to
work too well. The game starts and plays OK but there is no sound and
the choices for choosing sound are all dimmed out except for No sound.
There is a patch for on the CD to fid some sound cards but that didn't
help. I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version I got) but that
hung my computer, if I did it right. I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive which
has the line installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody have any
ideas.? Its been a long time since I played this game (or any DOS games)
and can't remember if I had this sound problem before.

Mary wrote:
> This message didn't seem to go through last night. So I will re-post.
>
> I installed Goblins 2, CD version, but can't get the sound to work. Its
> DOS based and says its better to play it in DOS (as in Exit to MSDOS in
> Win 98SE). There is a setup file for win 95, but that didn't seem to
> work too well. The game starts and plays OK but there is no sound and
> the choices for choosing sound are all dimmed out except for No sound.
> There is a patch for on the CD to fid some sound cards but that didn't
> help. I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version I got) but that
> hung my computer, if I did it right. I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive which
> has the line installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody have any
> ideas.? Its been a long time since I played this game (or any DOS games)
> and can't remember if I had this sound problem before.
>
> Mary

First, the SB16 DOS emulation may not have been correctly installed for
the SBLive card. This would seem to be the case as the game can't find
your card.

Second, I don't own the game so I searched the Internet for a copy.
Unfortunately all I could find was a Russian version of the game but it
is still a test case. I've tested it with Win98SE and an Audigy2 card in
a DOS Window with SB16 emulation and the game runs. Well it runs in
Russian only so I haven't a clue how to use it but the sound works. I've
also tested it with DOSBOX .63 and again it seems to work with sound.

Check the GO.BAT file and make sure it is not preset for NOSOUND. Or,
start the game by executing LOADER.EXE instead of the batch file.

Mary

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Hi,

"Robert Gault" <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Mary wrote:
> > This message didn't seem to go through last night. So I will
re-post.

> > I installed Goblins 2, CD version, but can't get the sound to work.
Its
> > DOS based and says its better to play it in DOS (as in Exit to MSDOS
in
> > Win 98SE). There is a setup file for win 95, but that didn't seem to
> > work too well. The game starts and plays OK but there is no sound
and
> > the choices for choosing sound are all dimmed out except for No
sound.
> > There is a patch for on the CD to fid some sound cards but that
didn't
> > help. I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version I got) but
that
> > hung my computer, if I did it right. I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive
which
> > has the line installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody have
any
> > ideas.? Its been a long time since I played this game (or any DOS
games)
> > and can't remember if I had this sound problem before.
> >
> > Mary
> >

> First, the SB16 DOS emulation may not have been correctly installed
for
> the SBLive card. This would seem to be the case as the game can't find
> your card.

Thats what I thought, but when my computer is loading everything in, I
can see it says SB emulation loaded. I also installed the sb Live
drivers again just to be sure.

> Second, I don't own the game so I searched the Internet for a copy.
> Unfortunately all I could find was a Russian version of the game but
it
> is still a test case. I've tested it with Win98SE and an Audigy2 card
in
> a DOS Window with SB16 emulation and the game runs. Well it runs in
> Russian only so I haven't a clue how to use it but the sound works.

Well, even though in Russian, you got the sound working. Thanks for
checking that out.
Do you have your speakers plugged into the back of your sound card? I
thought this was maybe a game where you had to plug the speakers into
the front of your CDrom when you have certain kinds of audio files.

I've
> also tested it with DOSBOX .63 and again it seems to work with sound.

That was the version I used. If I did it correctly, I typed Intro at
the Z prompt which Dosbox .63 uses, and it said you have to mount the
virtual drive I guess it is, and then it says its C:\ and type dir and
you should see all your files from the game which I did, then I typed
sierra\gob2 then go.exe but then it hung. So maybe I didn't do it
right.

> Check the GO.BAT file and make sure it is not preset for NOSOUND.

The Go.bat file just has the GO command in it. When I installed the
game, it said No sounds under sound card.

Or,
> start the game by executing LOADER.EXE instead of the batch file.

I just looked and don't even see Loader.exe in the Sierra directory. I
remember it from when I played the game years ago, but can't see it now.
I feel I am back in the old DOS days when I didn't have enough
conventional memory and stuff like that. In fact, when I was installing
the game, it did say I needed 580k to run the game but only had 575k. My
config.sys has emm386 in it and devices are in high memory. Well, I
can't figure out the problem. Thanks for your help.

Mary

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Mary typed:

Hey MaryJ, :)

> This message didn't seem to go through last night.

Yes it did ;), I can see it under the thread about "Do you still
play DOS games" - and there was a reply from "djin" suggesting
you could try VDMsound and/or a slowdown program.

> I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version
> I got) but that hung my computer, if I did it right.
> I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive which has the line
> installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody
> have any ideas.?

As for DOSbox, some games do not recognize the sound card
unless the CPU cycles are set to 3000 or lower (I've just learnt
this myself - I'm still learning the art of DOSboxing ;>) So you
could try installing /re-installing /running the game at the slow
speed of 3000 cycles.

Which version of the game is it? According to the DOSbox website,
the game is "supported", but there are four different entires for
"Gobliins 2" (?) - one for CD, one for CD v2.01, one for FDD (etc)
Also you could try mounting the CD drive with the "-ioctl" option,
as someone there recommended.

I prefer using a frontend (D-Fend v2) to handle DOSbox options,
makes it much easier to edit and change config files (I'm too lazy
to type at the Z: prompt ;>)

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{

<random sig>
A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.

"mec-devil" <delusions@fools.paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> Mary typed:
>
> Hey MaryJ, :)
>
> > This message didn't seem to go through last night.
>
> Yes it did ;), I can see it under the thread about "Do you still
> play DOS games" - and there was a reply from "djin" suggesting
> you could try VDMsound and/or a slowdown program.

I found my original message. I should probably have created a new
message instead of using the existing thread, since I wanted to try to
get specific information about an adventure game.
I don't see any reply from djin or anyone else in that thread though. I
will check google groups to see if I can see it there. I don't know how
VDMsound is, but for slowdown, I could try moslo. It seems more like I
don't have enough memory for the game keeps saying I need 580K memory
but only have 560k or something like that. How would I get more memory?
maybe using a boot disk? I am not sure that would help though.

> > I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version
> > I got) but that hung my computer, if I did it right.
> > I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive which has the line
> > installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody
> > have any ideas.?
>
> As for DOSbox, some games do not recognize the sound card
> unless the CPU cycles are set to 3000 or lower (I've just learnt
> this myself - I'm still learning the art of DOSboxing ;>) So you
> could try installing /re-installing /running the game at the slow
> speed of 3000 cycles.

I wouldn't know anything about cycles.
I just tried DOS box again and mounted the C drive as it describes, but
when I type go.bat or go.exe, (I tried both), the DOS box screen hangs
and thats as far as I get.

> Which version of the game is it? According to the DOSbox website,
> the game is "supported", but there are four different entires for
> "Gobliins 2" (?) - one for CD, one for CD v2.01, one for FDD (etc)
> Also you could try mounting the CD drive with the "-ioctl" option,
> as someone there recommended.

Its a CD , v 2.01. What is the command for "ioctl" when you are in DOS
box?
Maybe I should check Dosbox website to see if I can figure anything out.

> I prefer using a frontend (D-Fend v2) to handle DOSbox options,
> makes it much easier to edit and change config files (I'm too lazy
> to type at the Z: prompt ;>)

I have never used D-Fend . There are so many utilities out for fixing
this and that, it gets very confusing. Thanks. MacDevil. Weren't you
Maddie at one time?

"Mary" wrote in news:v7ednasL1-xNWEPfRVn-1g@rogers.com:

> I found my original message. I should probably have created a new
> message instead of using the existing thread, since I wanted to
> try to get specific information about an adventure game.
> I don't see any reply from djin or anyone else in that thread
> though. I will check google groups to see if I can see it there. I
> don't know how VDMsound is, but for slowdown, I could try moslo.

I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000 and XP only, but taking a
look at their web site I see that it now runs on all Windowses from 95
and forward. (And has been for quite a while, it seems. I need to keep
up better.) Then you should give it a try - it's easy to use and if it
works with Gobliins 2 you won't have to mess with DOS drivers. You'll
simply run it from within Windows. (The memory issue might also go away
that way.)

> It seems more like I don't have enough memory for the game keeps
> saying I need 580K memory but only have 560k or something like
> that. How would I get more memory? maybe using a boot disk? I am
> not sure that would help though.

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions. It's been a while since I had
to mess around with those things and, as you said in that other thread,
the last versions of DOS had memmaker to help. (Wasn't that still
around in W98? Maybe not in the second edition - I only used the first.
I think it was on the CD but wasn't installed automatically.) Maybe
someone could think of something if you posted the contents of your
autoexec.bat and config.sys?

Rikard

"Rikard Peterson" <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> "Mary" wrote in news:v7ednasL1-xNWEPfRVn-1g@rogers.com:
>
> > I found my original message. I should probably have created a new
> > message instead of using the existing thread, since I wanted to
> > try to get specific information about an adventure game.
> > I don't see any reply from djin or anyone else in that thread
> > though. I will check google groups to see if I can see it there. I
> > don't know how VDMsound is, but for slowdown, I could try moslo.
>
> I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000 and XP only, but taking a
> look at their web site I see that it now runs on all Windowses from 95
> and forward. (And has been for quite a while, it seems. I need to keep
> up better.) Then you should give it a try - it's easy to use and if it
> works with Gobliins 2 you won't have to mess with DOS drivers. You'll
> simply run it from within Windows. (The memory issue might also go
away
> that way.)

I went to sourceforge.net but could only see the download for Win
200/XP/NT. I also went to another site with google search, and it was
the same VMsound (version 2.1.0). I find virtual sound stuff confusing.
I may have to give up on this.

> > It seems more like I don't have enough memory for the game keeps
> > saying I need 580K memory but only have 560k or something like
> > that. How would I get more memory? maybe using a boot disk? I am
> > not sure that would help though.
>
> I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions. It's been a while since I had
> to mess around with those things and, as you said in that other
thread,
> the last versions of DOS had memmaker to help. (Wasn't that still
> around in W98? Maybe not in the second edition - I only used the
first.
> I think it was on the CD but wasn't installed automatically.) Maybe
> someone could think of something if you posted the contents of your
> autoexec.bat and config.sys?

Autoexec:

LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P300 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

Config:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=C:\HXCD-ROM\CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000

(I've tried leaving NOEMS out in config).

Mary wrote:
><snip>
> I wouldn't know anything about cycles.

That is on a line in the DOSBOX.conf file; usually 3000.

> I just tried DOS box again and mounted the C drive as it describes, but
> when I type go.bat or go.exe, (I tried both), the DOS box screen hangs
> and thats as far as I get.

If the game wants to run from the CD, then your problem is that you did
not mount the CDROM drive in the .conf file or manually. The needed line
would be something like:
mount E E:\ f\ -t cdrom -usecd 2 -apsi
where you put the correct drive letter for your system.

> Mary wrote:
> ><snip>
> > I wouldn't know anything about cycles.

> That is on a line in the DOSBOX.conf file; usually 3000.

The readme file explains about it and tells you to go to the DOSbox
config file and change 3000 cycles to 60000 cycles, which I did but it
didn't help.

> > I just tried DOS box again and mounted the C drive as it describes,
but
> > when I type go.bat or go.exe, (I tried both), the DOS box screen
hangs
> > and thats as far as I get.
>
> If the game wants to run from the CD, then your problem is that you
did
> not mount the CDROM drive in the .conf file or manually. The needed
line
> would be something like:
> mount E E:\ f\ -t cdrom -usecd 2 -apsi
> where you put the correct drive letter for your system.

This is where I must be typing the wrong thing.
In Dosbox there is a Z:\prompt and you can type intro for more
instructions which I did.
Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c c:\sierra
(directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is mounted C:\sierra".
So far OK.
Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the game, so
I typed cd
sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I tried
cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe and
same thing. Obviously doing something wrong.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:59:50 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:

>This is where I must be typing the wrong thing.
>In Dosbox there is a Z:\prompt and you can type intro for more
>instructions which I did.
>Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c c:\sierra
>(directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is mounted C:\sierra".
>So far OK.
> Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the game, so
>I typed cd
>sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I tried
>cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe and
>same thing. Obviously doing something wrong.

Here's your problem. You need to mount all drives you are planning to
use, i.e. the one with the game install and the CD drives.

A few suggestions. You can add the mounting in the configuration
file, at the bottom, so that you don't have to do this every time.
So, for instance, type:

mount c: c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe

and then at the Z prompt just type C: and it will go to the directory
and execute the file automatically. I don't personally put that all
in the config file until I know everything's working OK though. Of
course, you don't *need* to do that -- you can do it manually each
time if you wanna. The first "c:" will be what you type at the Z
prompt. Everything after that is the path it will follow.

(Just as a side note, this comes in handy for an old game that insists
on saving games to a floppy and you wanna save to your hard drive.
You can type "mount a: c:\gamedirectory\save" or whatever, and when it
looks for the a: it'll redirect it to the saved game folder. :))

Then also, supposing your CD drive is d, you also want to type:

mount d: d:\ -t cdrom

The "-t cdrom" will let it know that it's a CD, cause it doesn't know.
And you have to mount it too or it won't know what "d:" means.

I would also suggest that you uninstall the game. Then mount both the
C: and CD drives. Then reinstall it FROM Dosbox. So from the Z
prompt you'd change directory to your CD drive and install like usual.

See if any of that helps.

Also, in the config file is stuff for sound cards. You might want to
check the irq, dma, etc., and make sure it matches what you've got.
There's several popular old sound cards in there. Just scroll through
all the stuff and have a look around.

If you get this working, I would suggest mounting *all* your drives
and save that in the config file permanently. Then you can add the
path to your game below that, and when you start Dosbox it will
automatically go there and execute your game. When you start a new
game, you leave all the mounting, but just replace the path with the
new game.

---
erimess

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

P.S. You can change the cycle speed with F keys. F12 will speed it
up and F11 will slow it down. Dosbox should slow it down so you
shouldn't need the Moslo. In fact, everything seems to run *too* slow
for me and I always have to speed them up.

The F keys are a good way to experiment until you decide where you
want it. I think it goes by 1000's. So just keep count of how many
times you hit F12, and then you can go in and add it to the number in
the config file so it will always do that for the game. I think it
defaults at something like 1500, so if that thing about the sound card
needing it under 3000 is true, then that's not

---
erimess

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05 your problem.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:01:44 -0400, erimess wrote:

>Here's your problem. You need to mount all drives you are planning to
>use, i.e. the one with the game install and the CD drives.

Another P.S. I just realized I read something you typed wrong. I saw
the "cd" and you meant change directory, and my eye just said CD
drive. :)

But everything I said was true anyway. I just don't know if that's
your problem. It's possible it's looking for that CD to run. And I
would definitely install it from within Dosbox.

---
erimess

This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
~William Penn
In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:01:44 -0400, erimess wrote:

>mount c: c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe

Another P.S. LOL!!!

It just occurs to me. This thing is actually more like Unix. Which I
know very little about and am not sure whether the full path on one
line like that works. I never do it that way so I've never had the
opportunity to find out.

Right now mine looks like this:
mount g: g:\
MOUNT m: m:\ -t cdrom
mount n: n:\ -t cdrom
g:
cd conquest [mec-devil, don't laugh!!]
cnwmain

So you might try instead one line at a time, that is:
c:
cd sierra
cd gob2
go

Oh, oh, oh, and no "exe"!!! Just "go"

I honestly have no clue whether this is part of your problem or not,
but can't hurt to try.

---

"Mary" wrote in news:9MCdnarqAurQtkLfRVn-jQ@rogers.com:

> Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c
> c:\sierra (directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is
> mounted C:\sierra". So far OK.
> Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the
> game, so
> I typed cd
> sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I
> tried cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed
> C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe and same thing. Obviously doing something
> wrong.
>
> Mary

I may be misunderstanding you here, but it seems to me you might have
misunderstood the mounting thing. If you mount C:\sierra as C:, DosBox
treats your C:\sierra folder as your C: drive. What's really "C:\sierra
\gob2" on your hard drive becomes "C:\gob2". (Do a dir command to find
out where you are!) I find it easier to simply mount the entire drive.

DosBox is complicated.

Rikard

"Mary" wrote in news:XfidnfZQGszRnELfRVn-tQ@rogers.com:

> I went to sourceforge.net but could only see the download for Win
> 200/XP/NT. I also went to another site with google search, and it
> was the same VMsound (version 2.1.0). I find virtual sound stuff
> confusing. I may have to give up on this.

The strange thing is that while the site says "for MS Windows NT/2000
DOS boxes", a few lines below it also says "All 32-bit MS Windows
(95/98/NT/2000/XP)". That is what confused me. Reading through the
documentation I find "VDMSound will only run on Windows NT 4 SP3,
Windows 2000 or Windows XP. It will not work with Windows 95, 98 or
Millennium." so I guess you're out of luck there. It looks as if
DosBox is the best way to get it working for you. If you can get that
working.

> Autoexec:
>
> LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000
> SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P300 T6
> SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
> C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
> SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
>
> Config:
>
> DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
> DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
> DOS=HIGH,UMB
> DEVICEHIGH=C:\HXCD-ROM\CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000
>
> (I've tried leaving NOEMS out in config).
>
> Mary

Have you tried loading the SB driver high, too? Other than that, I
have no suggestion. You don't have much stuff in your startup files
(not even a mouse driver?).

Rikard

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Mary typed:
> Its a CD , v 2.01. What is the command for "ioctl" when
> you are in DOS box?
> Maybe I should check Dosbox website to see if I can figure
> anything out.

Robert has answered that below now. (Actually I think the
'ioctl' one is only for WinNT/XP, so forget it)

In the folder where you installed DOSbox, there is a helpful
'readme.txt' that has the commands, I just remembered.

You could also check the VOGONS forums for help:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/
(They have separate sections for DOSbox and VDMsound,
but you could start with the DOS section)

> I have never used D-Fend . There are so many utilities out
> for fixing this and that, it gets very confusing.

Think of D-Fend as just a graphical representation of DOSbox
- click buttons with your mouse instead of typing commands.

> Thanks. MacDevil. Weren't you Maddie at one time?

Yes ;) - that nickname was one of my former incarnations. ;)
You can just call me Matt ... (verson number not necessary)

Nice to meet you, MaryJ ;) <*shakes hands*>

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{

<random sig>
He has the wisdom of youth, and the energy of old age.

> Mary typed:
> > Its a CD , v 2.01. What is the command for "ioctl" when
> > you are in DOS box?
> > Maybe I should check Dosbox website to see if I can figure
> > anything out.
>
> Robert has answered that below now. (Actually I think the
> 'ioctl' one is only for WinNT/XP, so forget it)

I found that out. I think its also for Win 2000. I have a parition with
Win 2000 on it but I don't use it very often. It was more of an
experiment to test win 2000 but I haven't really studied Win 2k very
much. I do most things in Win 98SE because so far I can run everything I
ever wanted to, in win 98SE. But I might try Win 2000 to see if I can
solve this present problem but right now, its not my OS system that
keeps me back. Its not knowing what I am doing.

> In the folder where you installed DOSbox, there is a helpful
> 'readme.txt' that has the commands, I just remembered.
>
> You could also check the VOGONS forums for help:
> http://vogons.zetafleet.com/
> (They have separate sections for DOSbox and VDMsound,
> but you could start with the DOS section)

I think I will leave it for now. Its making my brain tired and the heat
has gotten to me. Its been too hot here in Toronto. 90F and 95F every
day for the past 3 weeks. Hottest June and July on record.

> > I have never used D-Fend . There are so many utilities out
> > for fixing this and that, it gets very confusing.
>
> Think of D-Fend as just a graphical representation of DOSbox
> - click buttons with your mouse instead of typing commands.
>
> > Thanks. MacDevil. Weren't you Maddie at one time?
>
> Yes ;) - that nickname was one of my former incarnations. ;)
> You can just call me Matt ... (verson number not necessary)

OK Matt. At least my memory is not completely gone. I remembered you.
What a relief :)

> Nice to meet you, MaryJ ;) <*shakes hands*>

Same here Matt.

MaryJ (my old sig)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Rikard Peterson typed:
> I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000
> and XP only, but taking a look at their web site I see
> that it now runs on all Windowses

;D Whats it got in its pocketses, huh my precious-ss??

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{

> Rikard Peterson typed:
> > I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000
> > and XP only, but taking a look at their web site I see
> > that it now runs on all Windowses
>
> ;D Whats it got in its pocketses, huh my precious-ss??

I think Rikard maybe got that from Gollum I just finished Return of the
King DVD. I also have the first two movies. Hard to understand
everything though. I watched all three movies twice now but no doubt
will watch them again sometime. I didn't think I would like those
movies, because when my son was in high school, the books were part of
his curriculum and he mentioned to me that he liked The Hobbit and asked
me to look at it and I remember saying what a boring thing and never
looked at it again. But a movie is different. I find visuals much easier
to understand than books, particularly if the book is complicated (to
me). All the actors were very good in Lord of the Rings. The special
effects were so well done. I don't know how they managed to make such
good movies out of the stories. Peter Jackson is so talented.

MaryJ

"mec-devil" wrote in news:42df1eac@clear.net.nz:

> Rikard Peterson typed:
>> I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000
>> and XP only, but taking a look at their web site I see
>> that it now runs on all Windowses
>
> ;D Whats it got in its pocketses, huh my precious-ss??

:) Yes, I also thought that when I read what I had written, but when
you have one Windows and then another Windows, what do you get? Two
versions of Windows, I suppose.

But Gollum is fun! And after having seen the behind-the-scenes
documentaries on the movies' DVD's (the best part of the movies
according to my older sister), I also think the actor did an amazing
job.

<erimess> wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:59:50 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:
>

> >This is where I must be typing the wrong thing.
> >In Dosbox there is a Z:\prompt and you can type intro for more
> >instructions which I did.
> >Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c
c:\sierra
> >(directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is mounted
C:\sierra".
> >So far OK.
> > Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the game,
so
> >I typed cd
> >sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I
tried
> >cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe
and
> >same thing. Obviously doing something wrong.
>
> Here's your problem. You need to mount all drives you are planning to
> use, i.e. the one with the game install and the CD drives.
>
> A few suggestions. You can add the mounting in the configuration
> file, at the bottom, so that you don't have to do this every time.
> So, for instance, type:
>
> mount c: c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe

Thats what I did in the Dosbox screen and after I typed the above, it
said "c drive mounted successfully" or some such thing.

> and then at the Z prompt just type C: and it will go to the directory
> and execute the file automatically. I don't personally put that all
> in the config file until I know everything's working OK though. Of
> course, you don't *need* to do that -- you can do it manually each
> time if you wanna. The first "c:" will be what you type at the Z
> prompt. Everything after that is the path it will follow.

At the Z prompt, I typed C (after it said the C drive was mounted) - the
Intro file said to then type Dir and you would see all your game files,
which I did, then I think I typed go.exe which is supposed to start the
game, but it just hung and that was it. I didn't bother with a
config.file. It makes it more complicated and I just did things
manually, but that doesn't work anyway.

> (Just as a side note, this comes in handy for an old game that insists
> on saving games to a floppy and you wanna save to your hard drive.
> You can type "mount a: c:\gamedirectory\save" or whatever, and when it
> looks for the a: it'll redirect it to the saved game folder. :))
>
> Then also, supposing your CD drive is d, you also want to type:
>
> mount d: d:\ -t cdrom
>
> The "-t cdrom" will let it know that it's a CD, cause it doesn't know.
> And you have to mount it too or it won't know what "d:" means.

So at the Z prompt, what am I supposed to type? c c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe
and in the next line put mount e: d:\ -t cdrom (for my E drive which is
my DVD rom drive where the game CD is). I also have an F drive, which is
a cdrom drive, but for some reason the Goblins game won't even come on
the screen when I use the cdrom. But if I use the DVD rom drive which is
E, the game will run but will have no sound which is the problem.

> I would also suggest that you uninstall the game. Then mount both the
> C: and CD drives. Then reinstall it FROM Dosbox. So from the Z
> prompt you'd change directory to your CD drive and install like usual.

Well, on the intro in dosbox screen where it tells you how to start the
game, it doesn't mention anything about mounting your cdrom drive.

> See if any of that helps.
>
> Also, in the config file is stuff for sound cards. You might want to
> check the irq, dma, etc., and make sure it matches what you've got.
> There's several popular old sound cards in there. Just scroll through
> all the stuff and have a look around.

I saw SB16 which probably means the old sb16 sound card. I have sblive.
The IRQ, DMA, port, etc. all match what I have.

> If you get this working, I would suggest mounting *all* your drives
> and save that in the config file permanently. Then you can add the
> path to your game below that, and when you start Dosbox it will
> automatically go there and execute your game. When you start a new
> game, you leave all the mounting, but just replace the path with the
> new game.

Those are the things that I don't know what to type or where to type.
For now, I would be satisfied to get things working the manual way, but
that might never happen by the looks of things.

> "Mary" wrote in news:XfidnfZQGszRnELfRVn-tQ@rogers.com:
>
> > I went to sourceforge.net but could only see the download for Win
> > 200/XP/NT. I also went to another site with google search, and it
> > was the same VMsound (version 2.1.0). I find virtual sound stuff
> > confusing. I may have to give up on this.
>
> The strange thing is that while the site says "for MS Windows NT/2000
> DOS boxes", a few lines below it also says "All 32-bit MS Windows
> (95/98/NT/2000/XP)". That is what confused me.

I saw that too, but saw no download for Win 98SE. So yes, it is
confusing..

Reading through the
> documentation I find "VDMSound will only run on Windows NT 4 SP3,
> Windows 2000 or Windows XP. It will not work with Windows 95, 98 or
> Millennium." so I guess you're out of luck there. It looks as if
> DosBox is the best way to get it working for you. If you can get that
> working.

Yes, thats what it looks like. I have Win 2000 installed on my D
partition, but I thought I would try things in win 98SE, that it might
be easier, but now I think nothing is easy about this. Even if I used
Win2000, I wouldn't know how to do that anyway and if it would be any
easier than Win 98SE.

> > Autoexec:
> >
> > LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000
> > SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P300 T6
> > SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
> > C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
> > SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
> >
> > Config:
> >
> > DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
> > DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
> > DOS=HIGH,UMB
> > DEVICEHIGH=C:\HXCD-ROM\CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000
> >
> > (I've tried leaving NOEMS out in config).
> >
> > Mary
>
> Have you tried loading the SB driver high, too? Other than that, I
> have no suggestion. You don't have much stuff in your startup files
> (not even a mouse driver?).

You mean the Sbinit line? or the SEt blaster line?
Yes, I know it doesn't have a mouse driver. I took it out before in
order to put another mouse driver in, but forgot about it. I had the
mouse driver in C:\ so just typed mouse at the C prompt and it got
loaded, but now I put it back in the autoexec.bat. I load the mouse
high. I have a simple autoexec and config because thats all I need. I
think the simpler the better. I haven't played any DOS games for a long
time. It was better in my old machine that didn't have such a fast CPU,
but since I got my new system about a year and a half ago, I haven't
figured how to play some older DOS games, or even if I can. I tried
ScummVM (or whatever its called) and was able to get Fate of Atlantis
going. I found ScummVM much easier to get working than Dos box.

> "Mary" wrote in news:9MCdnarqAurQtkLfRVn-jQ@rogers.com:
>
> > Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c
> > c:\sierra (directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is
> > mounted C:\sierra". So far OK.
> > Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the
> > game, so
> > I typed cd
> > sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I
> > tried cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed
> > C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe and same thing. Obviously doing something
> > wrong.
> >
> > Mary
>
> I may be misunderstanding you here, but it seems to me you might have
> misunderstood the mounting thing. If you mount C:\sierra as C:, DosBox
> treats your C:\sierra folder as your C: drive. What's really
"C:\sierra
> \gob2" on your hard drive becomes "C:\gob2". (Do a dir command to find
> out where you are!) I find it easier to simply mount the entire drive.

In Dosbox, I typed intro at Z prompt, and it gives some instructions.
According to the intro instruction, I typed c: c:\sierra and it then
says below "Drive C is mounted". Then it says "type C at Z prompt" and I
did that and I now have C prompt. Then says to type "dir" and you will
see your game files, which I do see. Then it says "cd will allow you to
enter a directory". You can run programs whichi end with exe, bat and
com. At that point I am still at the C prompt, and not sure what to
type after cd or what I am supposed to type next, If I type
cd\sierra\gob2\go.exe, it says "unable to change drive" . Thats where I
get stuck.

> DosBox is complicated.

You're telling me!! (at least for me it is)

<erimess> wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:01:44 -0400, erimess wrote:
>

> >mount c: c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe
>
> Another P.S. LOL!!!
>
> It just occurs to me. This thing is actually more like Unix. Which I
> know very little about and am not sure whether the full path on one
> line like that works. I never do it that way so I've never had the
> opportunity to find out.
>
> Right now mine looks like this:
> mount g: g:\
> MOUNT m: m:\ -t cdrom
> mount n: n:\ -t cdrom
> g:
> cd conquest [mec-devil, don't laugh!!]
> cnwmain
>
> So you might try instead one line at a time, that is:
> c:
> cd sierra
> cd gob2
> go
>
> Oh, oh, oh, and no "exe"!!! Just "go"
>
> I honestly have no clue whether this is part of your problem or not,
> but can't hurt to try.

I don't know either and am becoming more confused than I was at the
start, if that is possible. :)
Do you mean after I get the c drive mounted successfully, and I get a C
prompt, that I should type cd sierra in one line, cd gob2 in the next
line and go in the next line?

<erimess> wrote in message
> P.S. You can change the cycle speed with F keys. F12 will speed it
> up and F11 will slow it down. Dosbox should slow it down so you
> shouldn't need the Moslo. In fact, everything seems to run *too* slow
> for me and I always have to speed them up.

I had Moslo and tried to run it and forget how it works, so didn't get
it to run. I will forget about it for now I think. I have enough trouble
concentrating on one thing at a time. I am definitely not a multi
tasker.

> The F keys are a good way to experiment until you decide where you
> want it. I think it goes by 1000's. So just keep count of how many
> times you hit F12, and then you can go in and add it to the number in
> the config file so it will always do that for the game. I think it
> defaults at something like 1500, so if that thing about the sound card
> needing it under 3000 is true, then that's not

That is over my head. You and the others who replied to my original
post, seem to have had a lot of experience at these virtual drives? and
have a good idea what to do. I wish I could say the same thing for
myself. Oh well, it got a thread going which brought out some "old"
regulars. So the adventure NG is not dead. We need some new games which
require lively discussions from our old regulars to revive the NG and
bring back our former glory :) - Oh well, sounds good.

Mary