Help needed on Goblins 2 - DOS game

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

This message didn't seem to go through last night. So I will re-post.

I installed Goblins 2, CD version, but can't get the sound to work. Its
DOS based and says its better to play it in DOS (as in Exit to MSDOS in
Win 98SE). There is a setup file for win 95, but that didn't seem to
work too well. The game starts and plays OK but there is no sound and
the choices for choosing sound are all dimmed out except for No sound.
There is a patch for on the CD to fid some sound cards but that didn't
help. I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version I got) but that
hung my computer, if I did it right. I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive which
has the line installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody have any
ideas.? Its been a long time since I played this game (or any DOS games)
and can't remember if I had this sound problem before.

Mary
114 answers Last reply
More about help needed goblins game
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:
    > This message didn't seem to go through last night. So I will re-post.
    >
    > I installed Goblins 2, CD version, but can't get the sound to work. Its
    > DOS based and says its better to play it in DOS (as in Exit to MSDOS in
    > Win 98SE). There is a setup file for win 95, but that didn't seem to
    > work too well. The game starts and plays OK but there is no sound and
    > the choices for choosing sound are all dimmed out except for No sound.
    > There is a patch for on the CD to fid some sound cards but that didn't
    > help. I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version I got) but that
    > hung my computer, if I did it right. I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive which
    > has the line installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody have any
    > ideas.? Its been a long time since I played this game (or any DOS games)
    > and can't remember if I had this sound problem before.
    >
    > Mary

    First, the SB16 DOS emulation may not have been correctly installed for
    the SBLive card. This would seem to be the case as the game can't find
    your card.

    Second, I don't own the game so I searched the Internet for a copy.
    Unfortunately all I could find was a Russian version of the game but it
    is still a test case. I've tested it with Win98SE and an Audigy2 card in
    a DOS Window with SB16 emulation and the game runs. Well it runs in
    Russian only so I haven't a clue how to use it but the sound works. I've
    also tested it with DOSBOX .63 and again it seems to work with sound.

    Check the GO.BAT file and make sure it is not preset for NOSOUND. Or,
    start the game by executing LOADER.EXE instead of the batch file.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Hi,

    "Robert Gault" <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Mary wrote:
    > > This message didn't seem to go through last night. So I will
    re-post.

    > > I installed Goblins 2, CD version, but can't get the sound to work.
    Its
    > > DOS based and says its better to play it in DOS (as in Exit to MSDOS
    in
    > > Win 98SE). There is a setup file for win 95, but that didn't seem to
    > > work too well. The game starts and plays OK but there is no sound
    and
    > > the choices for choosing sound are all dimmed out except for No
    sound.
    > > There is a patch for on the CD to fid some sound cards but that
    didn't
    > > help. I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version I got) but
    that
    > > hung my computer, if I did it right. I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive
    which
    > > has the line installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody have
    any
    > > ideas.? Its been a long time since I played this game (or any DOS
    games)
    > > and can't remember if I had this sound problem before.
    > >
    > > Mary
    > >

    > First, the SB16 DOS emulation may not have been correctly installed
    for
    > the SBLive card. This would seem to be the case as the game can't find
    > your card.

    Thats what I thought, but when my computer is loading everything in, I
    can see it says SB emulation loaded. I also installed the sb Live
    drivers again just to be sure.

    > Second, I don't own the game so I searched the Internet for a copy.
    > Unfortunately all I could find was a Russian version of the game but
    it
    > is still a test case. I've tested it with Win98SE and an Audigy2 card
    in
    > a DOS Window with SB16 emulation and the game runs. Well it runs in
    > Russian only so I haven't a clue how to use it but the sound works.

    Well, even though in Russian, you got the sound working. Thanks for
    checking that out.
    Do you have your speakers plugged into the back of your sound card? I
    thought this was maybe a game where you had to plug the speakers into
    the front of your CDrom when you have certain kinds of audio files.

    I've
    > also tested it with DOSBOX .63 and again it seems to work with sound.

    That was the version I used. If I did it correctly, I typed Intro at
    the Z prompt which Dosbox .63 uses, and it said you have to mount the
    virtual drive I guess it is, and then it says its C:\ and type dir and
    you should see all your files from the game which I did, then I typed
    sierra\gob2 then go.exe but then it hung. So maybe I didn't do it
    right.

    > Check the GO.BAT file and make sure it is not preset for NOSOUND.

    The Go.bat file just has the GO command in it. When I installed the
    game, it said No sounds under sound card.

    Or,
    > start the game by executing LOADER.EXE instead of the batch file.

    I just looked and don't even see Loader.exe in the Sierra directory. I
    remember it from when I played the game years ago, but can't see it now.
    I feel I am back in the old DOS days when I didn't have enough
    conventional memory and stuff like that. In fact, when I was installing
    the game, it did say I needed 580k to run the game but only had 575k. My
    config.sys has emm386 in it and devices are in high memory. Well, I
    can't figure out the problem. Thanks for your help.

    Mary
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary typed:

    Hey MaryJ, :)

    > This message didn't seem to go through last night.

    Yes it did ;), I can see it under the thread about "Do you still
    play DOS games" - and there was a reply from "djin" suggesting
    you could try VDMsound and/or a slowdown program.

    > I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version
    > I got) but that hung my computer, if I did it right.
    > I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive which has the line
    > installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody
    > have any ideas.?

    As for DOSbox, some games do not recognize the sound card
    unless the CPU cycles are set to 3000 or lower (I've just learnt
    this myself - I'm still learning the art of DOSboxing ;>) So you
    could try installing /re-installing /running the game at the slow
    speed of 3000 cycles.

    Which version of the game is it? According to the DOSbox website,
    the game is "supported", but there are four different entires for
    "Gobliins 2" (?) - one for CD, one for CD v2.01, one for FDD (etc)
    Also you could try mounting the CD drive with the "-ioctl" option,
    as someone there recommended.

    I prefer using a frontend (D-Fend v2) to handle DOSbox options,
    makes it much easier to edit and change config files (I'm too lazy
    to type at the Z: prompt ;>)

    --
    };> Matt v3.2 <.{

    <random sig>
    A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "mec-devil" <delusions@fools.paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Mary typed:
    >
    > Hey MaryJ, :)
    >
    > > This message didn't seem to go through last night.
    >
    > Yes it did ;), I can see it under the thread about "Do you still
    > play DOS games" - and there was a reply from "djin" suggesting
    > you could try VDMsound and/or a slowdown program.

    I found my original message. I should probably have created a new
    message instead of using the existing thread, since I wanted to try to
    get specific information about an adventure game.
    I don't see any reply from djin or anyone else in that thread though. I
    will check google groups to see if I can see it there. I don't know how
    VDMsound is, but for slowdown, I could try moslo. It seems more like I
    don't have enough memory for the game keeps saying I need 580K memory
    but only have 560k or something like that. How would I get more memory?
    maybe using a boot disk? I am not sure that would help though.

    > > I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version
    > > I got) but that hung my computer, if I did it right.
    > > I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive which has the line
    > > installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody
    > > have any ideas.?
    >
    > As for DOSbox, some games do not recognize the sound card
    > unless the CPU cycles are set to 3000 or lower (I've just learnt
    > this myself - I'm still learning the art of DOSboxing ;>) So you
    > could try installing /re-installing /running the game at the slow
    > speed of 3000 cycles.

    I wouldn't know anything about cycles.
    I just tried DOS box again and mounted the C drive as it describes, but
    when I type go.bat or go.exe, (I tried both), the DOS box screen hangs
    and thats as far as I get.

    > Which version of the game is it? According to the DOSbox website,
    > the game is "supported", but there are four different entires for
    > "Gobliins 2" (?) - one for CD, one for CD v2.01, one for FDD (etc)
    > Also you could try mounting the CD drive with the "-ioctl" option,
    > as someone there recommended.

    Its a CD , v 2.01. What is the command for "ioctl" when you are in DOS
    box?
    Maybe I should check Dosbox website to see if I can figure anything out.

    > I prefer using a frontend (D-Fend v2) to handle DOSbox options,
    > makes it much easier to edit and change config files (I'm too lazy
    > to type at the Z: prompt ;>)

    I have never used D-Fend . There are so many utilities out for fixing
    this and that, it gets very confusing. Thanks. MacDevil. Weren't you
    Maddie at one time?

    Mary
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Mary" wrote in news:v7ednasL1-xNWEPfRVn-1g@rogers.com:

    > I found my original message. I should probably have created a new
    > message instead of using the existing thread, since I wanted to
    > try to get specific information about an adventure game.
    > I don't see any reply from djin or anyone else in that thread
    > though. I will check google groups to see if I can see it there. I
    > don't know how VDMsound is, but for slowdown, I could try moslo.

    I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000 and XP only, but taking a
    look at their web site I see that it now runs on all Windowses from 95
    and forward. (And has been for quite a while, it seems. I need to keep
    up better.) Then you should give it a try - it's easy to use and if it
    works with Gobliins 2 you won't have to mess with DOS drivers. You'll
    simply run it from within Windows. (The memory issue might also go away
    that way.)

    > It seems more like I don't have enough memory for the game keeps
    > saying I need 580K memory but only have 560k or something like
    > that. How would I get more memory? maybe using a boot disk? I am
    > not sure that would help though.

    I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions. It's been a while since I had
    to mess around with those things and, as you said in that other thread,
    the last versions of DOS had memmaker to help. (Wasn't that still
    around in W98? Maybe not in the second edition - I only used the first.
    I think it was on the CD but wasn't installed automatically.) Maybe
    someone could think of something if you posted the contents of your
    autoexec.bat and config.sys?

    Rikard
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Rikard Peterson" <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

    > "Mary" wrote in news:v7ednasL1-xNWEPfRVn-1g@rogers.com:
    >
    > > I found my original message. I should probably have created a new
    > > message instead of using the existing thread, since I wanted to
    > > try to get specific information about an adventure game.
    > > I don't see any reply from djin or anyone else in that thread
    > > though. I will check google groups to see if I can see it there. I
    > > don't know how VDMsound is, but for slowdown, I could try moslo.
    >
    > I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000 and XP only, but taking a
    > look at their web site I see that it now runs on all Windowses from 95
    > and forward. (And has been for quite a while, it seems. I need to keep
    > up better.) Then you should give it a try - it's easy to use and if it
    > works with Gobliins 2 you won't have to mess with DOS drivers. You'll
    > simply run it from within Windows. (The memory issue might also go
    away
    > that way.)

    I went to sourceforge.net but could only see the download for Win
    200/XP/NT. I also went to another site with google search, and it was
    the same VMsound (version 2.1.0). I find virtual sound stuff confusing.
    I may have to give up on this.

    > > It seems more like I don't have enough memory for the game keeps
    > > saying I need 580K memory but only have 560k or something like
    > > that. How would I get more memory? maybe using a boot disk? I am
    > > not sure that would help though.
    >
    > I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions. It's been a while since I had
    > to mess around with those things and, as you said in that other
    thread,
    > the last versions of DOS had memmaker to help. (Wasn't that still
    > around in W98? Maybe not in the second edition - I only used the
    first.
    > I think it was on the CD but wasn't installed automatically.) Maybe
    > someone could think of something if you posted the contents of your
    > autoexec.bat and config.sys?

    Autoexec:

    LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000
    SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P300 T6
    SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
    C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
    SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

    Config:

    DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    DEVICEHIGH=C:\HXCD-ROM\CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000

    (I've tried leaving NOEMS out in config).

    Mary
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:
    ><snip>
    > I wouldn't know anything about cycles.

    That is on a line in the DOSBOX.conf file; usually 3000.

    > I just tried DOS box again and mounted the C drive as it describes, but
    > when I type go.bat or go.exe, (I tried both), the DOS box screen hangs
    > and thats as far as I get.

    If the game wants to run from the CD, then your problem is that you did
    not mount the CDROM drive in the .conf file or manually. The needed line
    would be something like:
    mount E E:\ f\ -t cdrom -usecd 2 -apsi
    where you put the correct drive letter for your system.

    > <snip>
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Mary wrote:
    > ><snip>
    > > I wouldn't know anything about cycles.

    > That is on a line in the DOSBOX.conf file; usually 3000.

    The readme file explains about it and tells you to go to the DOSbox
    config file and change 3000 cycles to 60000 cycles, which I did but it
    didn't help.

    > > I just tried DOS box again and mounted the C drive as it describes,
    but
    > > when I type go.bat or go.exe, (I tried both), the DOS box screen
    hangs
    > > and thats as far as I get.
    >
    > If the game wants to run from the CD, then your problem is that you
    did
    > not mount the CDROM drive in the .conf file or manually. The needed
    line
    > would be something like:
    > mount E E:\ f\ -t cdrom -usecd 2 -apsi
    > where you put the correct drive letter for your system.

    This is where I must be typing the wrong thing.
    In Dosbox there is a Z:\prompt and you can type intro for more
    instructions which I did.
    Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c c:\sierra
    (directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is mounted C:\sierra".
    So far OK.
    Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the game, so
    I typed cd
    sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I tried
    cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe and
    same thing. Obviously doing something wrong.

    Mary
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:59:50 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:

    >This is where I must be typing the wrong thing.
    >In Dosbox there is a Z:\prompt and you can type intro for more
    >instructions which I did.
    >Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c c:\sierra
    >(directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is mounted C:\sierra".
    >So far OK.
    > Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the game, so
    >I typed cd
    >sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I tried
    >cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe and
    >same thing. Obviously doing something wrong.

    Here's your problem. You need to mount all drives you are planning to
    use, i.e. the one with the game install and the CD drives.

    A few suggestions. You can add the mounting in the configuration
    file, at the bottom, so that you don't have to do this every time.
    So, for instance, type:

    mount c: c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe

    and then at the Z prompt just type C: and it will go to the directory
    and execute the file automatically. I don't personally put that all
    in the config file until I know everything's working OK though. Of
    course, you don't *need* to do that -- you can do it manually each
    time if you wanna. The first "c:" will be what you type at the Z
    prompt. Everything after that is the path it will follow.

    (Just as a side note, this comes in handy for an old game that insists
    on saving games to a floppy and you wanna save to your hard drive.
    You can type "mount a: c:\gamedirectory\save" or whatever, and when it
    looks for the a: it'll redirect it to the saved game folder. :-))

    Then also, supposing your CD drive is d, you also want to type:

    mount d: d:\ -t cdrom

    The "-t cdrom" will let it know that it's a CD, cause it doesn't know.
    And you have to mount it too or it won't know what "d:" means.

    I would also suggest that you uninstall the game. Then mount both the
    C: and CD drives. Then reinstall it FROM Dosbox. So from the Z
    prompt you'd change directory to your CD drive and install like usual.

    See if any of that helps.

    Also, in the config file is stuff for sound cards. You might want to
    check the irq, dma, etc., and make sure it matches what you've got.
    There's several popular old sound cards in there. Just scroll through
    all the stuff and have a look around.

    If you get this working, I would suggest mounting *all* your drives
    and save that in the config file permanently. Then you can add the
    path to your game below that, and when you start Dosbox it will
    automatically go there and execute your game. When you start a new
    game, you leave all the mounting, but just replace the path with the
    new game.

    ---
    erimess

    This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
    may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
    are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
    ~William Penn
    In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    P.S. You can change the cycle speed with F keys. F12 will speed it
    up and F11 will slow it down. Dosbox should slow it down so you
    shouldn't need the Moslo. In fact, everything seems to run *too* slow
    for me and I always have to speed them up.

    The F keys are a good way to experiment until you decide where you
    want it. I think it goes by 1000's. So just keep count of how many
    times you hit F12, and then you can go in and add it to the number in
    the config file so it will always do that for the game. I think it
    defaults at something like 1500, so if that thing about the sound card
    needing it under 3000 is true, then that's not

    ---
    erimess

    This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
    may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
    are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
    ~William Penn
    In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05 your problem.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:01:44 -0400, erimess wrote:

    >Here's your problem. You need to mount all drives you are planning to
    >use, i.e. the one with the game install and the CD drives.

    Another P.S. I just realized I read something you typed wrong. I saw
    the "cd" and you meant change directory, and my eye just said CD
    drive. :-)

    But everything I said was true anyway. I just don't know if that's
    your problem. It's possible it's looking for that CD to run. And I
    would definitely install it from within Dosbox.

    ---
    erimess

    This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
    may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
    are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
    ~William Penn
    In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:01:44 -0400, erimess wrote:

    >mount c: c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe

    Another P.S. LOL!!!

    It just occurs to me. This thing is actually more like Unix. Which I
    know very little about and am not sure whether the full path on one
    line like that works. I never do it that way so I've never had the
    opportunity to find out.

    Right now mine looks like this:
    mount g: g:\
    MOUNT m: m:\ -t cdrom
    mount n: n:\ -t cdrom
    g:
    cd conquest [mec-devil, don't laugh!!]
    cnwmain

    So you might try instead one line at a time, that is:
    c:
    cd sierra
    cd gob2
    go

    Oh, oh, oh, and no "exe"!!! Just "go"

    I honestly have no clue whether this is part of your problem or not,
    but can't hurt to try.

    ---
    erimess

    This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
    may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
    are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
    ~William Penn
    In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Mary" wrote in news:9MCdnarqAurQtkLfRVn-jQ@rogers.com:

    > Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c
    > c:\sierra (directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is
    > mounted C:\sierra". So far OK.
    > Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the
    > game, so
    > I typed cd
    > sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I
    > tried cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed
    > C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe and same thing. Obviously doing something
    > wrong.
    >
    > Mary

    I may be misunderstanding you here, but it seems to me you might have
    misunderstood the mounting thing. If you mount C:\sierra as C:, DosBox
    treats your C:\sierra folder as your C: drive. What's really "C:\sierra
    \gob2" on your hard drive becomes "C:\gob2". (Do a dir command to find
    out where you are!) I find it easier to simply mount the entire drive.

    DosBox is complicated.

    Rikard
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Mary" wrote in news:XfidnfZQGszRnELfRVn-tQ@rogers.com:

    > I went to sourceforge.net but could only see the download for Win
    > 200/XP/NT. I also went to another site with google search, and it
    > was the same VMsound (version 2.1.0). I find virtual sound stuff
    > confusing. I may have to give up on this.

    The strange thing is that while the site says "for MS Windows NT/2000
    DOS boxes", a few lines below it also says "All 32-bit MS Windows
    (95/98/NT/2000/XP)". That is what confused me. Reading through the
    documentation I find "VDMSound will only run on Windows NT 4 SP3,
    Windows 2000 or Windows XP. It will not work with Windows 95, 98 or
    Millennium." so I guess you're out of luck there. It looks as if
    DosBox is the best way to get it working for you. If you can get that
    working.

    > Autoexec:
    >
    > LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000
    > SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P300 T6
    > SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
    > C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
    > SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
    >
    > Config:
    >
    > DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    > DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
    > DOS=HIGH,UMB
    > DEVICEHIGH=C:\HXCD-ROM\CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000
    >
    > (I've tried leaving NOEMS out in config).
    >
    > Mary

    Have you tried loading the SB driver high, too? Other than that, I
    have no suggestion. You don't have much stuff in your startup files
    (not even a mouse driver?).

    Rikard
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary typed:
    > Its a CD , v 2.01. What is the command for "ioctl" when
    > you are in DOS box?
    > Maybe I should check Dosbox website to see if I can figure
    > anything out.

    Robert has answered that below now. (Actually I think the
    'ioctl' one is only for WinNT/XP, so forget it)

    In the folder where you installed DOSbox, there is a helpful
    'readme.txt' that has the commands, I just remembered.

    You could also check the VOGONS forums for help:
    http://vogons.zetafleet.com/
    (They have separate sections for DOSbox and VDMsound,
    but you could start with the DOS section)

    > I have never used D-Fend . There are so many utilities out
    > for fixing this and that, it gets very confusing.

    Think of D-Fend as just a graphical representation of DOSbox
    - click buttons with your mouse instead of typing commands.

    > Thanks. MacDevil. Weren't you Maddie at one time?

    Yes ;) - that nickname was one of my former incarnations. ;)
    You can just call me Matt ... (verson number not necessary)

    Nice to meet you, MaryJ ;) <*shakes hands*>

    --
    };> Matt v3.2 <.{

    <random sig>
    He has the wisdom of youth, and the energy of old age.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Mary typed:
    > > Its a CD , v 2.01. What is the command for "ioctl" when
    > > you are in DOS box?
    > > Maybe I should check Dosbox website to see if I can figure
    > > anything out.
    >
    > Robert has answered that below now. (Actually I think the
    > 'ioctl' one is only for WinNT/XP, so forget it)

    I found that out. I think its also for Win 2000. I have a parition with
    Win 2000 on it but I don't use it very often. It was more of an
    experiment to test win 2000 but I haven't really studied Win 2k very
    much. I do most things in Win 98SE because so far I can run everything I
    ever wanted to, in win 98SE. But I might try Win 2000 to see if I can
    solve this present problem but right now, its not my OS system that
    keeps me back. Its not knowing what I am doing.

    > In the folder where you installed DOSbox, there is a helpful
    > 'readme.txt' that has the commands, I just remembered.
    >
    > You could also check the VOGONS forums for help:
    > http://vogons.zetafleet.com/
    > (They have separate sections for DOSbox and VDMsound,
    > but you could start with the DOS section)

    I think I will leave it for now. Its making my brain tired and the heat
    has gotten to me. Its been too hot here in Toronto. 90F and 95F every
    day for the past 3 weeks. Hottest June and July on record.

    > > I have never used D-Fend . There are so many utilities out
    > > for fixing this and that, it gets very confusing.
    >
    > Think of D-Fend as just a graphical representation of DOSbox
    > - click buttons with your mouse instead of typing commands.
    >
    > > Thanks. MacDevil. Weren't you Maddie at one time?
    >
    > Yes ;) - that nickname was one of my former incarnations. ;)
    > You can just call me Matt ... (verson number not necessary)

    OK Matt. At least my memory is not completely gone. I remembered you.
    What a relief :)

    > Nice to meet you, MaryJ ;) <*shakes hands*>

    Same here Matt.

    MaryJ (my old sig)
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Rikard Peterson typed:
    > I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000
    > and XP only, but taking a look at their web site I see
    > that it now runs on all Windowses

    ;D Whats it got in its pocketses, huh my precious-ss??

    --
    };> Matt v3.2 <.{
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Rikard Peterson typed:
    > > I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000
    > > and XP only, but taking a look at their web site I see
    > > that it now runs on all Windowses
    >
    > ;D Whats it got in its pocketses, huh my precious-ss??

    I think Rikard maybe got that from Gollum I just finished Return of the
    King DVD. I also have the first two movies. Hard to understand
    everything though. I watched all three movies twice now but no doubt
    will watch them again sometime. I didn't think I would like those
    movies, because when my son was in high school, the books were part of
    his curriculum and he mentioned to me that he liked The Hobbit and asked
    me to look at it and I remember saying what a boring thing and never
    looked at it again. But a movie is different. I find visuals much easier
    to understand than books, particularly if the book is complicated (to
    me). All the actors were very good in Lord of the Rings. The special
    effects were so well done. I don't know how they managed to make such
    good movies out of the stories. Peter Jackson is so talented.

    MaryJ
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "mec-devil" wrote in news:42df1eac@clear.net.nz:

    > Rikard Peterson typed:
    >> I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000
    >> and XP only, but taking a look at their web site I see
    >> that it now runs on all Windowses
    >
    > ;D Whats it got in its pocketses, huh my precious-ss??

    :) Yes, I also thought that when I read what I had written, but when
    you have one Windows and then another Windows, what do you get? Two
    versions of Windows, I suppose.

    But Gollum is fun! And after having seen the behind-the-scenes
    documentaries on the movies' DVD's (the best part of the movies
    according to my older sister), I also think the actor did an amazing
    job.

    Rikard
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    <erimess> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:59:50 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:
    >

    > >This is where I must be typing the wrong thing.
    > >In Dosbox there is a Z:\prompt and you can type intro for more
    > >instructions which I did.
    > >Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c
    c:\sierra
    > >(directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is mounted
    C:\sierra".
    > >So far OK.
    > > Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the game,
    so
    > >I typed cd
    > >sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I
    tried
    > >cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe
    and
    > >same thing. Obviously doing something wrong.
    >
    > Here's your problem. You need to mount all drives you are planning to
    > use, i.e. the one with the game install and the CD drives.
    >
    > A few suggestions. You can add the mounting in the configuration
    > file, at the bottom, so that you don't have to do this every time.
    > So, for instance, type:
    >
    > mount c: c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe

    Thats what I did in the Dosbox screen and after I typed the above, it
    said "c drive mounted successfully" or some such thing.

    > and then at the Z prompt just type C: and it will go to the directory
    > and execute the file automatically. I don't personally put that all
    > in the config file until I know everything's working OK though. Of
    > course, you don't *need* to do that -- you can do it manually each
    > time if you wanna. The first "c:" will be what you type at the Z
    > prompt. Everything after that is the path it will follow.

    At the Z prompt, I typed C (after it said the C drive was mounted) - the
    Intro file said to then type Dir and you would see all your game files,
    which I did, then I think I typed go.exe which is supposed to start the
    game, but it just hung and that was it. I didn't bother with a
    config.file. It makes it more complicated and I just did things
    manually, but that doesn't work anyway.

    > (Just as a side note, this comes in handy for an old game that insists
    > on saving games to a floppy and you wanna save to your hard drive.
    > You can type "mount a: c:\gamedirectory\save" or whatever, and when it
    > looks for the a: it'll redirect it to the saved game folder. :-))
    >
    > Then also, supposing your CD drive is d, you also want to type:
    >
    > mount d: d:\ -t cdrom
    >
    > The "-t cdrom" will let it know that it's a CD, cause it doesn't know.
    > And you have to mount it too or it won't know what "d:" means.

    So at the Z prompt, what am I supposed to type? c c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe
    and in the next line put mount e: d:\ -t cdrom (for my E drive which is
    my DVD rom drive where the game CD is). I also have an F drive, which is
    a cdrom drive, but for some reason the Goblins game won't even come on
    the screen when I use the cdrom. But if I use the DVD rom drive which is
    E, the game will run but will have no sound which is the problem.

    > I would also suggest that you uninstall the game. Then mount both the
    > C: and CD drives. Then reinstall it FROM Dosbox. So from the Z
    > prompt you'd change directory to your CD drive and install like usual.

    Well, on the intro in dosbox screen where it tells you how to start the
    game, it doesn't mention anything about mounting your cdrom drive.

    > See if any of that helps.
    >
    > Also, in the config file is stuff for sound cards. You might want to
    > check the irq, dma, etc., and make sure it matches what you've got.
    > There's several popular old sound cards in there. Just scroll through
    > all the stuff and have a look around.

    I saw SB16 which probably means the old sb16 sound card. I have sblive.
    The IRQ, DMA, port, etc. all match what I have.

    > If you get this working, I would suggest mounting *all* your drives
    > and save that in the config file permanently. Then you can add the
    > path to your game below that, and when you start Dosbox it will
    > automatically go there and execute your game. When you start a new
    > game, you leave all the mounting, but just replace the path with the
    > new game.

    Those are the things that I don't know what to type or where to type.
    For now, I would be satisfied to get things working the manual way, but
    that might never happen by the looks of things.

    Mary
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > "Mary" wrote in news:XfidnfZQGszRnELfRVn-tQ@rogers.com:
    >
    > > I went to sourceforge.net but could only see the download for Win
    > > 200/XP/NT. I also went to another site with google search, and it
    > > was the same VMsound (version 2.1.0). I find virtual sound stuff
    > > confusing. I may have to give up on this.
    >
    > The strange thing is that while the site says "for MS Windows NT/2000
    > DOS boxes", a few lines below it also says "All 32-bit MS Windows
    > (95/98/NT/2000/XP)". That is what confused me.

    I saw that too, but saw no download for Win 98SE. So yes, it is
    confusing..

    Reading through the
    > documentation I find "VDMSound will only run on Windows NT 4 SP3,
    > Windows 2000 or Windows XP. It will not work with Windows 95, 98 or
    > Millennium." so I guess you're out of luck there. It looks as if
    > DosBox is the best way to get it working for you. If you can get that
    > working.

    Yes, thats what it looks like. I have Win 2000 installed on my D
    partition, but I thought I would try things in win 98SE, that it might
    be easier, but now I think nothing is easy about this. Even if I used
    Win2000, I wouldn't know how to do that anyway and if it would be any
    easier than Win 98SE.

    > > Autoexec:
    > >
    > > LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000
    > > SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P300 T6
    > > SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
    > > C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
    > > SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
    > >
    > > Config:
    > >
    > > DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    > > DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
    > > DOS=HIGH,UMB
    > > DEVICEHIGH=C:\HXCD-ROM\CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD000
    > >
    > > (I've tried leaving NOEMS out in config).
    > >
    > > Mary
    >
    > Have you tried loading the SB driver high, too? Other than that, I
    > have no suggestion. You don't have much stuff in your startup files
    > (not even a mouse driver?).

    You mean the Sbinit line? or the SEt blaster line?
    Yes, I know it doesn't have a mouse driver. I took it out before in
    order to put another mouse driver in, but forgot about it. I had the
    mouse driver in C:\ so just typed mouse at the C prompt and it got
    loaded, but now I put it back in the autoexec.bat. I load the mouse
    high. I have a simple autoexec and config because thats all I need. I
    think the simpler the better. I haven't played any DOS games for a long
    time. It was better in my old machine that didn't have such a fast CPU,
    but since I got my new system about a year and a half ago, I haven't
    figured how to play some older DOS games, or even if I can. I tried
    ScummVM (or whatever its called) and was able to get Fate of Atlantis
    going. I found ScummVM much easier to get working than Dos box.

    Mary
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > "Mary" wrote in news:9MCdnarqAurQtkLfRVn-jQ@rogers.com:
    >
    > > Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c
    > > c:\sierra (directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is
    > > mounted C:\sierra". So far OK.
    > > Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the
    > > game, so
    > > I typed cd
    > > sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I
    > > tried cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed
    > > C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe and same thing. Obviously doing something
    > > wrong.
    > >
    > > Mary
    >
    > I may be misunderstanding you here, but it seems to me you might have
    > misunderstood the mounting thing. If you mount C:\sierra as C:, DosBox
    > treats your C:\sierra folder as your C: drive. What's really
    "C:\sierra
    > \gob2" on your hard drive becomes "C:\gob2". (Do a dir command to find
    > out where you are!) I find it easier to simply mount the entire drive.

    In Dosbox, I typed intro at Z prompt, and it gives some instructions.
    According to the intro instruction, I typed c: c:\sierra and it then
    says below "Drive C is mounted". Then it says "type C at Z prompt" and I
    did that and I now have C prompt. Then says to type "dir" and you will
    see your game files, which I do see. Then it says "cd will allow you to
    enter a directory". You can run programs whichi end with exe, bat and
    com. At that point I am still at the C prompt, and not sure what to
    type after cd or what I am supposed to type next, If I type
    cd\sierra\gob2\go.exe, it says "unable to change drive" . Thats where I
    get stuck.

    > DosBox is complicated.

    You're telling me!! (at least for me it is)

    Mary
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    <erimess> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:01:44 -0400, erimess wrote:
    >

    > >mount c: c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe
    >
    > Another P.S. LOL!!!
    >
    > It just occurs to me. This thing is actually more like Unix. Which I
    > know very little about and am not sure whether the full path on one
    > line like that works. I never do it that way so I've never had the
    > opportunity to find out.
    >
    > Right now mine looks like this:
    > mount g: g:\
    > MOUNT m: m:\ -t cdrom
    > mount n: n:\ -t cdrom
    > g:
    > cd conquest [mec-devil, don't laugh!!]
    > cnwmain
    >
    > So you might try instead one line at a time, that is:
    > c:
    > cd sierra
    > cd gob2
    > go
    >
    > Oh, oh, oh, and no "exe"!!! Just "go"
    >
    > I honestly have no clue whether this is part of your problem or not,
    > but can't hurt to try.

    I don't know either and am becoming more confused than I was at the
    start, if that is possible. :)
    Do you mean after I get the c drive mounted successfully, and I get a C
    prompt, that I should type cd sierra in one line, cd gob2 in the next
    line and go in the next line?

    Mary
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    <erimess> wrote in message
    > P.S. You can change the cycle speed with F keys. F12 will speed it
    > up and F11 will slow it down. Dosbox should slow it down so you
    > shouldn't need the Moslo. In fact, everything seems to run *too* slow
    > for me and I always have to speed them up.

    I had Moslo and tried to run it and forget how it works, so didn't get
    it to run. I will forget about it for now I think. I have enough trouble
    concentrating on one thing at a time. I am definitely not a multi
    tasker.

    > The F keys are a good way to experiment until you decide where you
    > want it. I think it goes by 1000's. So just keep count of how many
    > times you hit F12, and then you can go in and add it to the number in
    > the config file so it will always do that for the game. I think it
    > defaults at something like 1500, so if that thing about the sound card
    > needing it under 3000 is true, then that's not

    That is over my head. You and the others who replied to my original
    post, seem to have had a lot of experience at these virtual drives? and
    have a good idea what to do. I wish I could say the same thing for
    myself. Oh well, it got a thread going which brought out some "old"
    regulars. So the adventure NG is not dead. We need some new games which
    require lively discussions from our old regulars to revive the NG and
    bring back our former glory :) - Oh well, sounds good.

    Mary
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:00:16 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:

    >In Dosbox, I typed intro at Z prompt, and it gives some instructions.
    >According to the intro instruction, I typed c: c:\sierra and it then
    >says below "Drive C is mounted". Then it says "type C at Z prompt" and I
    >did that and I now have C prompt. Then says to type "dir" and you will
    >see your game files, which I do see. Then it says "cd will allow you to
    >enter a directory". You can run programs whichi end with exe, bat and
    >com. At that point I am still at the C prompt, and not sure what to
    >type after cd or what I am supposed to type next, If I type
    >cd\sierra\gob2\go.exe, it says "unable to change drive" . Thats where I
    >get stuck.

    It's unable to change drives cause "go.exe" isn't a folder. It's an
    executable. At the very least, leave off the ".exe". I honestly
    don't remember whether the executable needs to be on a separate line
    than the path, but you could try:
    cd\sierra\gob2
    go

    >> DosBox is complicated.
    >
    >You're telling me!! (at least for me it is)

    Doing basic things on it isn't that complicated once you get some idea
    of how it's working. Even after everything I blabbered about it, I
    really know very little of what can be done with it. I don't *need*
    to know anything else, at least as of yet. :-)

    OK, let's start over. Since you'd already mentioned doing some of
    this other stuff, I thought you had already familiarized yourself with
    Dosbox so I went on that assumption. And I guess I also assumed since
    you got as far as you did that you already know DOS, and maybe you
    don't.

    Let's try this. Just do the following verbatim. There are some
    unknown's from my end, so I don't know if it all *needs* to be done
    this way, but it won't hurt. So just try this and see what happens
    and if it gets into the game:

    mount c: c:\
    mount e: e:\ -t cdrom [that's a Tee in case your font makes it look
    funny]
    c:
    cd sierra
    cd gob2
    go

    Just try that and see if it gets into the game at all or gets hung up
    or gives you weird messages.

    If that doesn't work, I would then suggest you uninstall the game, and
    reinstall from within Dosbox. I always install from Dosbox because I
    know it works and saves me the trouble of finding out the hard way.
    :-)

    Which consists of the above steps, except you have to stop and install
    the game. So:

    mount c: c:\
    mount e: e:\ -t cdrom

    Then stop and install how you normally would. I assume that means
    something like
    e:
    install

    Once installed, continue what you were doing:
    c:
    cd sierra
    cd gob2
    go

    If you leave Dosbox in the middle of any of that, you will have to
    start over with the mounting each time you return.

    Since I don't know if you need to run any configuration for the game,
    I'd rather not go there if it's going to confuse matters. So just try
    the above and if it doesn't work, report back what happened. If it
    does work, great.

    If it works, but you still have other issues, at least you learned how
    to get in the game for now. Once you get that part down, then if you
    want, you can learn how to configure other stuff, and how to save it
    so you don't have to keep repeating all this manually every time. If
    you want to continue to use it for old games (and it's a great
    emulator), then it would help if you eventually learned more.

    I'm also not going to answer the other posts for right now because I
    don't want to confuse things even more. (Like some comments about
    what you said about your sound card.) That can be dealt with later if
    you get this to work.

    ---
    erimess

    This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
    may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
    are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
    ~William Penn
    In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Mary" wrote in news:MKqdnUfWzJu_333fRVn-pA@rogers.com:

    >> Have you tried loading the SB driver high, too?
    >
    > You mean the Sbinit line? or the SEt blaster line?

    I meant the sbinit line. The set blaster line is not a driver, it's not
    even a program. What it does is that it sets an environment variable
    that programs can read in order to get information about the sound
    card. ("The sound card is at address 220, uses interrupt 7, DMA channel
    1, high DMA 5...") The same goes for the other Set commands.

    Rikard
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Erimess typed:
    > cd conquest [mec-devil, don't laugh!!]

    ROFL! :) I cannot help but laugh! ;D :)

    (I probably laughed even *more* because you put
    that in brackets ;D)

    So you're still- *still* playing Conquest? ;) This
    is just incredible.

    (Admittedly, I'm still saving my Lemmings :) after
    all this time, but even so...)

    --
    };> Matt v3.2 <.{
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Erimess typed:
    > > cd conquest [mec-devil, don't laugh!!]
    >
    > ROFL! :) I cannot help but laugh! ;D :)
    >
    > (I probably laughed even *more* because you put
    > that in brackets ;D)
    >
    > So you're still- *still* playing Conquest? ;) This
    > is just incredible.
    >
    > (Admittedly, I'm still saving my Lemmings :) after
    > all this time, but even so...)

    I started to play Lemmings about two years ago and it got so difficult,
    I had to give up because I couldn't get past one of the levels. I forget
    which version of Lemmings it was. It was on CD. I think it was Oh no,
    not more Lemmings. Its kind of a different kind of game. I think I have
    the saves from it on a floppy, but never went back to it. I found a
    walkthrough for it at one time, but even that couldn't get me past the
    level I got stuck at.

    MaryJ
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:02:32 +1200, "mec-devil"
    <delusions@fools.paradise.net.nz> wrote:

    >Erimess typed:
    >> cd conquest [mec-devil, don't laugh!!]
    >
    >ROFL! :) I cannot help but laugh! ;D :)
    >
    >(I probably laughed even *more* because you put
    >that in brackets ;D)
    >
    >So you're still- *still* playing Conquest? ;) This
    >is just incredible.

    I only installed it a year and a half ago, what's your problem? :-)

    Actually, I just play it in between other stuff. I *have* played
    seven Nancy Drews since about last November, so yes, I have been doing
    something else. I've just been so busy that I haven't wanted to start
    anything long and involved (I keep saying that), so I just keep
    returning to Conquest. Besides, it's the only thing I've played using
    Dosbox for quite a while, so that config file just sits there looking
    the same way all the time. :-)

    However, I just ordered a box 'o games. Actually, most of it I'm just
    going to re-sell. But it had a couple of things I wanted. And I
    never would've played it otherwise, but since it was included in the
    gang, I'm actually going to take a crack at Dungeon Siege.

    ---
    erimess

    This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
    may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
    are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
    ~William Penn
    In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Erimess typed:
    [Re: DOSbox cycles]
    > So just keep count of how many times you hit F12,
    > and then you can go in and add it to the number in
    > the config file so it will always do that for the game.

    The current cycles are on the DOSbox title bar if you're
    not full-screen, too.

    (Note to MaryJ: when we're talking about cycles, it just
    means what speed of computer DOSbox is emulating. So
    3000 cycles is probably around a 386 20Mhz or so, for
    example (I'm not sure what it corresponds to exactly ?)

    The funny thing about it is, you need a *GHz* computer
    to actually get it to emulate a 15 year old computer ;D

    > I think it defaults at something like 1500, so if that
    > thing about the sound card needing it under 3000 is
    > true, then that's not

    Only *some* games, such as my favourite Lemmings. :)
    I'd already turned the cycles up, because ... well, I'm a
    speed-demon (devil?) ;D If the cycles are too high, there
    is no SB sound, game can only detect PC speaker (bah!)
    Depends on the game, I guess.

    --
    };> Matt v3.2 <.{

    <random sig>
    If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:39:41 +1200, "mec-devil"
    <delusions@fools.paradise.net.nz> wrote:

    >Erimess typed:
    >[Re: DOSbox cycles]
    >> So just keep count of how many times you hit F12,
    >> and then you can go in and add it to the number in
    >> the config file so it will always do that for the game.
    >
    >The current cycles are on the DOSbox title bar if you're
    >not full-screen, too.

    I always have it set to full screen so I've never seen that.

    >(Note to MaryJ: when we're talking about cycles, it just
    >means what speed of computer DOSbox is emulating. So
    >3000 cycles is probably around a 386 20Mhz or so, for
    >example (I'm not sure what it corresponds to exactly ?)

    From what I heard, nothing.

    >The funny thing about it is, you need a *GHz* computer
    >to actually get it to emulate a 15 year old computer ;D

    Probably cause it slows it down so dang much. :-)

    >> I think it defaults at something like 1500, so if that
    >> thing about the sound card needing it under 3000 is
    >> true, then that's not
    >
    >Only *some* games, such as my favourite Lemmings. :)
    >I'd already turned the cycles up, because ... well, I'm a
    >speed-demon (devil?) ;D If the cycles are too high, there
    >is no SB sound, game can only detect PC speaker (bah!)
    >Depends on the game, I guess.

    Well, it does default at something regardless of the game, but of
    course that just about always needs changed. It also seems to me that
    once I got it up to about 13500 or so it wouldn't go any faster. And
    the sound on my game doesn't work real great, it's kind of off and on.
    But I've tried probably every sound card and each one has its own
    problems. That could be entirely a game issue, I don't know. For my
    game the sound isn't too terribly important. It's worked for other
    stuff just fine though. Except it doesn't support CD sound, which has
    always bugged me. If a game is old enough, I figure it's not
    mattering much anymore though. :-)

    ---
    erimess

    This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
    may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
    are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
    ~William Penn
    In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary typed:
    > I started to play Lemmings about two years ago
    > and it got so difficult, I had to give up because
    > I couldn't get past one of the levels. I forget
    > which version of Lemmings it was. It was on CD.
    > I think it was Oh no, not more Lemmings.

    Yes! :) 'Oh No! More Lemmings' is probably the most
    difficult of all of them, one for the veterans. ;) I'm
    only half way through it myself, but I decided to go
    save a less tricky Lemmings and get back to it later,
    because it was getting too frustrating.

    > Its kind of a different kind of game. I think I
    > have the saves from it on a floppy, but never went
    > back to it. I found a walkthrough for it at one time,
    > but even that couldn't get me past the level I got
    > stuck at.

    Lemmings *can* be difficult to save sometimes, not
    so much because of the puzzles, but the execution :)

    (Not executing the Lemmings ;D :\, but executing the
    puzzles - need very precise clicking sometimes)

    (Executing the Lemmings, on the other hand, extremely
    easy. ;) But we must not give in to temptation! ;D)

    At any rate, they are incredibly addictive (and cute!)

    Lemmings, you see, they *need* saving. In fact, I dare
    say they *want* to be saved. ;) And so, I have devoted
    my life to saving the Lemmings.

    (Mwahah)

    --
    };> Matt v3.2 <.{

    <random sig>
    Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary typed:
    > So at the Z prompt, what am I supposed to type?

    Ok, let us review what we have so far.

    MaryJ, type each line into DOSbox (pressing enter
    after each line):

    mount c: c:\
    mount e: e:\ -t cdrom
    c:
    cd sierra
    cd gob2
    go

    This is assuming you have already installed the game
    into the 'c:\sierra\gob2' directory.

    However, as Erimess suggested, you might want to
    try re-installing the game, in which case type:

    mount c: c:\
    mount e: e:\ -t cdrom
    e:
    install

    This is assuming there is an 'e:\install.exe' file on
    your Gobliins 2 CD (replace filename if needed)

    Explanation:

    The two mount commands above should give you
    access to C: (you HD) and E: (your DVD). Then
    all you need do is navigate as if you were in DOS-
    for example: typing 'e:' switches to E drive, typing
    'cd sierra' changes directories, typing 'dir' shows
    you the disc contents, etc...

    --
    };> Matt v3.2 <.{

    <random sig>
    There is an exception to every rule, except this one.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:
    > This message didn't seem to go through last night. So I will re-post.
    >
    > I installed Goblins 2, CD version, but can't get the sound to work. Its
    > DOS based and says its better to play it in DOS (as in Exit to MSDOS in
    > Win 98SE). There is a setup file for win 95, but that didn't seem to
    > work too well. The game starts and plays OK but there is no sound and
    > the choices for choosing sound are all dimmed out except for No sound.
    > There is a patch for on the CD to fid some sound cards but that didn't
    > help. I downloaded Dosbox 63 (I think thats the version I got) but that
    > hung my computer, if I did it right. I have AMD CPU 3200, Sblive which
    > has the line installed in autoexec for IRQ 7, etc. Does anybody have any
    > ideas.? Its been a long time since I played this game (or any DOS games)
    > and can't remember if I had this sound problem before.
    >
    > Mary

    Mary, I think you know my experience with Gobliiins and Gobliins 2.
    Neither one would work on my PII 400 with my SBLive. I played
    a lot of DOS games with the SBLive on that computer, including
    Ripper, Sherlock Holmes and the Rose Tattoo, and Pandora Directive.
    But Gobliiins and Gobliins 2 just crashed to a black screen.
    They don't like the way the SBLive emulates DOS sound.
    So I think you can forget about playing that game using your
    config.sys and autoexec.bat.

    Which means it will have to be played using something like
    either DOSBox or VDMSound. And if you're using either of
    those, it's best to do it booted to Win 2000 because they
    were originally developed for Win 2000 and XP and are
    better tested and debugged for those OS.
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    <erimess> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:59:50 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:

    > >This is where I must be typing the wrong thing.
    > >In Dosbox there is a Z:\prompt and you can type intro for more
    > >instructions which I did.
    > >Then it says to mount the C drive at the Z:\ prompt to type c
    c:\sierra
    > >(directory name) which I did and it says "Drive C is mounted
    C:\sierra".
    > >So far OK.
    > > Then it said to type cd\ and the directory name to access the game,
    so
    > >I typed cd
    > >sierra\gob2- but it says "unable to change to C:\sierra\gob2" - I
    tried
    > >cd sierra and it says the same thing. I typed C:\sierra\gob2\go.exe
    and
    > >same thing. Obviously doing something wrong.
    >
    > Here's your problem. You need to mount all drives you are planning to
    > use, i.e. the one with the game install and the CD drives.

    I worked on the problem this afternoon for a couple of hours and still
    haven't got it going. When I read the Intro on the Dosbox screen, it
    said type Intro for instructions, which I did, and it said here is some
    instructions to get you going and it only mention ed mount c: c:\ so not
    knowing anything about Dosbox program or virtual drives, I thought thats
    all you had to do.
    I didn't know you had to mount the CD rom drive. You have to look at
    another area to find out that information.

    > A few suggestions. You can add the mounting in the configuration
    > file, at the bottom, so that you don't have to do this every time.
    > So, for instance, type:
    >
    > mount c: c:\sierra\gob2\go.exe
    >
    > and then at the Z prompt just type C: and it will go to the directory
    > and execute the file automatically. I don't personally put that all
    > in the config file until I know everything's working OK though. Of
    > course, you don't *need* to do that -- you can do it manually each
    > time if you wanna. The first "c:" will be what you type at the Z
    > prompt. Everything after that is the path it will follow.

    For now, I won't try to create a config for this till I know what I am
    doing. I will just do it manually for now. more work, but easier for me
    for now. By the way do you mean the config.sys or the config file in
    Dosbox. program?

    > (Just as a side note, this comes in handy for an old game that insists
    > on saving games to a floppy and you wanna save to your hard drive.
    > You can type "mount a: c:\gamedirectory\save" or whatever, and when it
    > looks for the a: it'll redirect it to the saved game folder. :-))
    >
    > Then also, supposing your CD drive is d, you also want to type:
    >
    > mount d: d:\ -t cdrom
    >
    > The "-t cdrom" will let it know that it's a CD, cause it doesn't know.
    > And you have to mount it too or it won't know what "d:" means.

    Thats what I wasn't doing because I didn't know I had to do that.

    > I would also suggest that you uninstall the game. Then mount both the
    > C: and CD drives. Then reinstall it FROM Dosbox. So from the Z
    > prompt you'd change directory to your CD drive and install like usual.
    >
    > See if any of that helps.

    This is what I did this afternoon in detail right from a new Install.

    In Dosbox there is a Z:\ prompt, so at the Z prompt, I typed "mount c:
    c:\ " - then Enter and it said "mounted c local directory successfully"
    or similar. In next line with still a Z prompt, I typed "mount e: e:
    / -t cdrom" Enter. And it says "E drive mounted successfullY" and right
    below that
    line it says "MSCDEX loaded" which we didn't discuss at all but that is
    loaded. Then still with a Z prompt, I typed C:\ at the Z prompt and it
    changed to C drive. At this point, I guess the C prompt will give me all
    my files on my "real" C drive? Then I typed "install" and the install
    program came up on the screen, and Soundblaster was already inserted as
    the sound card. Before, it said No sound and soundblaster was dimmed
    out. The game is now installed, so I am back at C prompt in Dos box and
    I typed cd sierra\gob2 Enter, then go, and the next screen was black and
    blank with a big cursor and that was it. It never went anywhere. There
    was no lilght flickering on the CD drive where the CD was and no hard
    drive flickering. so looks like the drive is not detected. Yet, when I
    go to E in Dosbox, or Dos in Windows or Windows explorer, the files on
    Goblins CD show up. My E drive is a DVD rom, and I tried all of the
    above on F drive which is a cdrom drive, but made no difference. So this
    time because I mounted the cdrom drive I guess, I can get the
    soundblaster choice, but the game won't come up on the screen at all.
    When I didn't mount the CDrom drive at all, I got the game on the
    screen, but there was no sound and soundblaster was dimmed out on the
    install. Now, I can't get the game to show on the screen at all.

    I went back to the Help file in Dosbox program, and there are a lot of
    instructions, and it said if the basic instructions for mounting the
    cdrom drive doesn't work, you may need to type the CD label. What CD
    label? I've never had to do that with any game.

    > Also, in the config file is stuff for sound cards. You might want to
    > check the irq, dma, etc., and make sure it matches what you've got.
    > There's several popular old sound cards in there. Just scroll through
    > all the stuff and have a look around.

    Sb16 is there. Doesn't mention sblive. The irq,dma etc. matches my
    autoexec.bat.

    > If you get this working, I would suggest mounting *all* your drives
    > and save that in the config file permanently. Then you can add the
    > path to your game below that, and when you start Dosbox it will
    > automatically go there and execute your game. When you start a new
    > game, you leave all the mounting, but just replace the path with the
    > new game.

    You are probably right, but for now I think it better if I don't concern
    myself with a config file right now till I know what I am doing (if
    ever). Right now, I am getting very frustrated and not going to spend
    much more time on this if I am not able to understand it and get it
    going soon.

    Mary
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    <erimess> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:01:44 -0400, erimess wrote:
    >

    > >Here's your problem. You need to mount all drives you are planning
    > >use, i.e. the one with the game install and the CD drives.
    >
    > Another P.S. I just realized I read something you typed wrong. I saw
    > the "cd" and you meant change directory, and my eye just said CD
    > drive. :-)
    >
    > But everything I said was true anyway. I just don't know if that's
    > your problem. It's possible it's looking for that CD to run. And I
    > would definitely install it from within Dosbox.

    It looks like it can't find the Cd drive or the CD even though it says
    the cdrom is mounted..

    Mary
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Mary typed:
    > > I started to play Lemmings about two years ago
    > > and it got so difficult, I had to give up because
    > > I couldn't get past one of the levels. I forget
    > > which version of Lemmings it was. It was on CD.
    > > I think it was Oh no, not more Lemmings.
    >
    > Yes! :) 'Oh No! More Lemmings' is probably the most
    > difficult of all of them, one for the veterans. ;) I'm
    > only half way through it myself, but I decided to go
    > save a less tricky Lemmings and get back to it later,
    > because it was getting too frustrating.

    I had to give up on Lemmings as it became very difficult. I haven't seen
    any new Lemmings since Oh no more Lemmings in any of the game software
    stores I go to, have you? At least I think thats the version I have,
    though not positive. It was fun for a while, till I couldn't go any
    further.

    > > Its kind of a different kind of game. I think I
    > > have the saves from it on a floppy, but never went
    > > back to it. I found a walkthrough for it at one time,
    > > but even that couldn't get me past the level I got
    > > stuck at.
    >
    > Lemmings *can* be difficult to save sometimes, not
    > so much because of the puzzles, but the execution :)

    Because its time limited, it can be annoying though. But its fun till
    you get to the really difficult parts.

    > At any rate, they are incredibly addictive (and cute!)

    The music is kind of catchy, but the game can be frustrating because of
    having to do the same thing over and over if you don't succeed on a
    level.

    > Lemmings, you see, they *need* saving. In fact, I dare
    > say they *want* to be saved. ;) And so, I have devoted
    > my life to saving the Lemmings.

    A worthy cause :)

    Mary
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    <erimess> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:00:16 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:
    >

    > >In Dosbox, I typed intro at Z prompt, and it gives some instructions.
    > >According to the intro instruction, I typed c: c:\sierra and it then
    > >says below "Drive C is mounted". Then it says "type C at Z prompt"
    and I
    > >did that and I now have C prompt. Then says to type "dir" and you
    will
    > >see your game files, which I do see. Then it says "cd will allow you
    > >enter a directory". You can run programs whichi end with exe, bat and
    > >com. At that point I am still at the C prompt, and not sure what to
    > >type after cd or what I am supposed to type next, If I type
    > >cd\sierra\gob2\go.exe, it says "unable to change drive" . Thats where
    > >get stuck.
    >
    > It's unable to change drives cause "go.exe" isn't a folder. It's an
    > executable. At the very least, leave off the ".exe". I honestly
    > don't remember whether the executable needs to be on a separate line
    > than the path, but you could try:
    > cd\sierra\gob2
    > go

    I tried various ways of typing cd\sierra\gob2, then tried sierra\ enter,
    then gob2. Different ways were tried, but I don't think thats the
    problem anyway.

    > >> DosBox is complicated.
    > >
    > >You're telling me!! (at least for me it is)
    >
    > Doing basic things on it isn't that complicated once you get some idea
    > of how it's working. Even after everything I blabbered about it, I
    > really know very little of what can be done with it. I don't *need*
    > to know anything else, at least as of yet. :-)

    Well, of course, everything is easy when you know how, but to get it
    started and to fully understand it, is not easy in my opinion, and even
    Rikard mentioned it was complicated, and in the FAQ's in DOSbox one of
    the questions was "your FAQ's for Dosbox are fine, but I still don't
    understand some thing" and the answer was " go to XXX" for more
    information. So I am not the only one who is "slow". Maybe you are a
    fast thinker or catch on quicker to some things than me.

    > OK, let's start over. Since you'd already mentioned doing some of
    > this other stuff, I thought you had already familiarized yourself with
    > Dosbox so I went on that assumption. And I guess I also assumed since
    > you got as far as you did that you already know DOS, and maybe you
    > don't.

    Yes, I am familiar with DOS as that was the only OS when I got a
    computer in 1990, so I
    was brought up on it since there was no other OS in existence at the
    time. But knowing DOS and knowing how to understand DOS box program is
    two different things. I know most all commands in real DOS, but that
    doesn't help me to understand how a virtual device works. It involves
    some DOS commands, but you have to know what to type in and understand
    the program which really doesn't have a lot to do with real DOS.

    > Let's try this. Just do the following verbatim. There are some
    > unknown's from my end, so I don't know if it all *needs* to be done
    > this way, but it won't hurt. So just try this and see what happens
    > and if it gets into the game:
    >
    > mount c: c:\
    > mount e: e:\ -t cdrom [that's a Tee in case your font makes it look
    > funny]
    > c:
    > cd sierra
    > cd gob2
    > go
    >
    > Just try that and see if it gets into the game at all or gets hung up
    > or gives you weird messages.

    I tried the above several times. I just get a black/blank screen with a
    big pointer for a cursor and the screen just stays there. I can usually
    close it, but sometimes it locks and I have to reboot.

    > If that doesn't work, I would then suggest you uninstall the game, and
    > reinstall from within Dosbox. I always install from Dosbox because I
    > know it works and saves me the trouble of finding out the hard way.
    > :-)

    I tried that too.

    I deleted the rest of your message as it was repeats of things we have
    already discussed.
    Thanks for all your suggestions though.

    Mary
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Mary typed:
    > > So at the Z prompt, what am I supposed to type?
    >
    > Ok, let us review what we have so far.
    >
    > MaryJ, type each line into DOSbox (pressing enter
    > after each line):
    >
    > mount c: c:\
    > mount e: e:\ -t cdrom
    > c:
    > cd sierra
    > cd gob2
    > go
    >
    > This is assuming you have already installed the game
    > into the 'c:\sierra\gob2' directory.

    Did all the above. I just get a black/blank screen and a big pointer for
    a cursor and nothing ever appears on the screen. The cdrom does not
    light up. I tried installing the game in F drive which is my cdrom
    drive, but that didn't do any good. See my message to Erimess.

    > However, as Erimess suggested, you might want to
    > try re-installing the game, in which case type:
    >
    > mount c: c:\
    > mount e: e:\ -t cdrom
    > e:
    > install
    >
    > This is assuming there is an 'e:\install.exe' file on
    > your Gobliins 2 CD (replace filename if needed)
    >
    > Explanation:
    >
    > The two mount commands above should give you
    > access to C: (you HD) and E: (your DVD). Then
    > all you need do is navigate as if you were in DOS-
    > for example: typing 'e:' switches to E drive, typing
    > 'cd sierra' changes directories, typing 'dir' shows
    > you the disc contents, etc...

    After mounting both C and E drives, I changed to E drive to install the
    game (after uninstalling the old one), and then went to C:\ drive after
    installation, and that should have put me back to using my C drive (in
    DOS box program) and then cd\sierra or cd sierra\gob2, then typing go,
    should have worked, but it didn.t. I don't know why. No lights went on
    the DVD rom and this game runs from the CD a lot so if it recognized the
    CD and the CD rom, the light would be flickering.

    Mary
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > "Mary" wrote in news:MKqdnUfWzJu_333fRVn-pA@rogers.com:
    >
    > >> Have you tried loading the SB driver high, too?
    > >
    > > You mean the Sbinit line? or the SEt blaster line?
    >
    > I meant the sbinit line. The set blaster line is not a driver, it's
    not
    > even a program. What it does is that it sets an environment variable
    > that programs can read in order to get information about the sound
    > card. ("The sound card is at address 220, uses interrupt 7, DMA
    channel
    > 1, high DMA 5...") The same goes for the other Set commands.

    Yes, the sbinit line had LH in front of it, (you can use LH instead of
    putting Loadhigh fully).
    But when I typed in Auto after EMM386.EXE it takes out the LH at the
    start of sbinit in the autoexec. It says this somwhere. I think in the
    Dosbox help file. I didn't know it did that, because I've never used
    Auto after EMM386.EXE, I have put RAM before, and sometimes that has
    helped in older games, but not this time.
    Thanks anyway.

    Mary
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "mec-devil" <delusions@fools.paradise.net.nz> schreef in bericht
    > Rikard Peterson typed:
    > > I thought VDMSound was for Windows NT, 2000
    > > and XP only, but taking a look at their web site I see
    > > that it now runs on all Windowses
    >
    > ;D Whats it got in its pocketses, huh my precious-ss??
    >

    > --
    > };> Matt v3.2 <.{

    Haha ;-)
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Erimess typed:
    > OK, let's start over. [...]

    That was my thinking exactly. ;)

    (I typed out basically the same instructions you did
    in a post further up, if it sync'd properly, about five
    minutes after you did)

    <*gets on the same page as dragon*>

    Now we just have to see if it works. ;)

    MaryJ: Do not give up! We're getting very close! :)

    --
    };> Matt v3.2 <.{
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Erimess typed:
    > > OK, let's start over. [...]
    >
    > That was my thinking exactly. ;)
    >
    > (I typed out basically the same instructions you did
    > in a post further up, if it sync'd properly, about five
    > minutes after you did)
    >
    > <*gets on the same page as dragon*>
    >
    > Now we just have to see if it works. ;)
    >
    > MaryJ: Do not give up! We're getting very close! :)

    The only thing I got solved was seeing the soundblaster choice upon
    installation of the game, but that wasn't much good when the game still
    won't run.
    I am about to give up. I've spent enough time on it and my thinking cap
    is worn out :)

    Mary
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:22:57 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:

    >> >You're telling me!! (at least for me it is)
    >>
    >> Doing basic things on it isn't that complicated once you get some idea
    >> of how it's working. Even after everything I blabbered about it, I
    >> really know very little of what can be done with it. I don't *need*
    >> to know anything else, at least as of yet. :-)
    >
    >Well, of course, everything is easy when you know how, but to get it
    >started and to fully understand it, is not easy in my opinion, and even
    >Rikard mentioned it was complicated, and in the FAQ's in DOSbox one of
    >the questions was "your FAQ's for Dosbox are fine, but I still don't
    >understand some thing" and the answer was " go to XXX" for more
    >information. So I am not the only one who is "slow". Maybe you are a
    >fast thinker or catch on quicker to some things than me.

    If you already know DOS, then to *get started* with just some basics,
    all you really need to understand about it is how to mount the drives.
    (Out of all that set of verbatim instructions I gave, only mounting
    the drives, two lines, had anything to do with Dosbox. The rest was
    DOS.)

    Now, it can *get* complicated when you start having problems or you
    want to start configuring things in different ways. You just learn
    that over time. Believing ahead of time that it's difficult (and
    getting confirmation of your belief) is setting yourself up to have a
    difficult time of things. I'd rather believe that if you take it one
    step at a time that you're capable of learning it.

    And not because *I* already know it, but because *you* are capable of
    learning it.

    But you've got 10 different people telling you how to do stuff, and
    because it sounded like you'd already done some reading I know I
    assumed you knew more than you did. Which means we need to take a
    step back. And it would also help if you stopped reading the help
    files because they STINK!! :-) They used to be even worse and I had
    no clue what they were talking about. So I learned it here and a guy
    also posted a beginner's guide on the forums at the site. So I'd
    suggest not even reading the instructions until you get more
    comfortable with the basics. Or maybe go try to find that beginner's
    guide thing.

    >> OK, let's start over. Since you'd already mentioned doing some of
    >> this other stuff, I thought you had already familiarized yourself with
    >> Dosbox so I went on that assumption. And I guess I also assumed since
    >> you got as far as you did that you already know DOS, and maybe you
    >> don't.
    >
    >Yes, I am familiar with DOS as that was the only OS when I got a
    >computer in 1990, so I
    >was brought up on it since there was no other OS in existence at the
    >time. But knowing DOS and knowing how to understand DOS box program is
    >two different things. I know most all commands in real DOS, but that
    >doesn't help me to understand how a virtual device works. It involves
    >some DOS commands, but you have to know what to type in and understand
    >the program which really doesn't have a lot to do with real DOS.

    I never claimed otherwise. I just meant that I whizzed through a lot
    of stuff because I thought you already knew DOS *and* that you had
    already messed with the Dosbox more than you have.

    If you're already comfortable with DOS, then you've already got a good
    deal of the problem of learning Dosbox solved, whether you see that
    now or not. If you get some basics of Dosbox down, that statement
    might make more sense later.

    Since you followed the instructions verbatim, then I think something
    else is going on if you're just getting a blank screen and it's
    locking up. That may have absolutely nothing to do with Dosbox
    itself. But since you gave more detail in the other post, I'm going
    to switch over to that.

    ---
    erimess

    This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
    may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
    are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
    ~William Penn
    In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:23:29 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:

    >> I can't remember
    >> because it's *ages* since I configured DOSBox. I seem to recall that
    >if
    >> you have more than one optical device, you might need to tell DOSBox
    >> which number it is. -usecd 0 for the first device, and -usecd 1 for
    >the
    >> second. I think.
    >
    >Well, that could be a possibility. I really don't know. It doesn't
    >mention this in the dosbox program Help file but I found some of the
    >instructions in the help file are not fully clear, or maybe its just me.
    >Where would you type usecd 0? in " mount e: e:/ -t =usecd 0" for
    >example? rather than just mount e: e:/ -t cdrom? Is that what you mean?
    >When I mount e: or f: whichever drive I tried to get the game going
    >with, I wouldn't have thought I would need to specify further which
    >drive I am using such as typing usecd 0 or whatever, but I could be
    >wrong.

    It's like this:
    mount E E:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0
    This is, you're adding the "-usecd 0" to the end of what you already
    typed. This is also based on the assumption that E is really the
    first one. And based on that assumption the other one would be
    mount F F:\ -t cdrom -usecd 1
    Sometimes those drives end up backwards for whatever reason. (My
    dad's old computer they were.) So E might be 1 and F might be 0.
    You'd just have to experiment with that.

    You can also try:
    mount E E:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -aspi
    I don't even know what the "-aspi" is for. It's just in the list of
    stuff to try if the other ones don't work.

    Does anyone know if these drive letters are case sensitive? I didn't
    think so but could be wrong.

    ---
    erimess

    This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
    may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
    are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
    ~William Penn
    In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:38:43 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:

    ><erimess> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:49:31 -0400, "Mary" <nothere@non.com> wrote:
    >>

    >> >Reading through the
    >or
    >that
    >> >
    >> >Yes, thats what it looks like. I have Win 2000 installed on my D
    >> >partition, but I thought I would try things in win 98SE, that it
    >might
    >> >be easier, but now I think nothing is easy about this. Even if I used
    >> >Win2000, I wouldn't know how to do that anyway and if it would be any
    >> >easier than Win 98SE.
    >>
    >> Well, yeah, except you could try the VDMSound with W2K. You can also
    >> add to that a thing called VDMLaunchpad.
    >
    >I won't bother with that. I have enough problems trying to figure out
    >Win 98SE Dosbox stuff.

    Just as a note, VDMSound *can* get very complicated with a lot of
    configuration stuff, etc. I don't know how to do any of it cause I've
    only used it with one game and it worked "as is."

    However, if you don't need to do any type of configuration, there is
    nothing to "figure out."

    All you need to do is install VDMSound. Then RIGHT-click on the .exe
    file (in this case "go"), and you will see a choice near the top that
    says "run with VDMSound." You click on that.

    If it works, you've tried something relatively simple. If it doesn't,
    then it might require the difficult configuring, but you can just give
    up at that point and uninstall the thing and not much time and effort
    lost.

    If you give up on everything else, you can always give this a quick
    try. The whole point of VDMsound is that it emulates an SB16
    regardless of what you have. Since you are having sound difficulties,
    this might be worth giving a shot.

    ---
    erimess

    This is the comfort of everyone: That tho' they
    may be said to die, yet their love and devotion
    are, in best sense, ever present because immortal.
    ~William Penn
    In memory of my father, 1 Jan 05
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Yes, I am familiar with DOS as that was the only OS when I got a
    > computer in 1990, so I
    > was brought up on it since there was no other OS in existence at the
    > time.

    Not technically true. There were a whole bunch of Unixes popular at the
    time, and it wasn't long till Linux was doing its thing. And wasn't
    DR-DOS around this time? I know you could run Windows on it, despite
    Microsoft saying you couldn't.

    Not that any of this matters, particularly. Just sticking my oar in, I
    suppose.

    But knowing DOS and knowing how to understand DOS box program is
    > two different things. I know most all commands in real DOS, but that
    > doesn't help me to understand how a virtual device works. It involves
    > some DOS commands, but you have to know what to type in and understand
    > the program which really doesn't have a lot to do with real DOS.

    Most of the (usual) commands are pretty much the same. Although the
    whole mounting thing isn't a DOS thing, just an artifact of it being an
    emulator. Of course, if you want authentic you could always go for
    Bochs. It's a machine emulator, and you specify all the architectural
    parameters that you want it to emulate. And then install proper DOS on
    it, if you want to run proper DOS. It's a bit slow, though, since it's
    emulating *everything* in software, rather than the almost everything
    that DOSBox does.

    CK
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "CK" <CatKiller@nospamplease.Bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes, I am familiar with DOS as that was the only OS when I got a
    > > computer in 1990, so I
    > > was brought up on it since there was no other OS in existence at the
    > > time.
    >
    > Not technically true. There were a whole bunch of Unixes popular at
    the
    > time, and it wasn't long till Linux was doing its thing. And wasn't
    > DR-DOS around this time? I know you could run Windows on it, despite
    > Microsoft saying you couldn't.

    True, but you must admit, for the PC in 1990, such as my first 286 IBM
    compatible, Microsoft had its hand already into the PC market and had
    the share. It would have been unusual to buy a PC at a store, which had
    any other OS than DOS installed as the stores had DOS installed in the
    PC when you bought it. Maybe some people installed Unix if they knew
    what they were doing and were computer geeks, but most people had DOS on
    their systems as thats what the store already had it installed before
    you bought it. MS still have the lions share of the PC market as an OS,
    only its Win XP now instead of DOS and will be Longhorn in another year.

    > Not that any of this matters, particularly. Just sticking my oar in, I
    > suppose.
    >
    > But knowing DOS and knowing how to understand DOS box program is
    > > two different things. I know most all commands in real DOS, but that
    > > doesn't help me to understand how a virtual device works. It
    involves
    > > some DOS commands, but you have to know what to type in and
    understand
    > > the program which really doesn't have a lot to do with real DOS.
    >
    > Most of the (usual) commands are pretty much the same. Although the
    > whole mounting thing isn't a DOS thing, just an artifact of it being
    an
    > emulator.

    Thats what I meant. There are only a few DOS commands which Dosbox tells
    you, if you are successful in getting dosbox program to function
    properly. You don't really need to know a lot about DOS.

    Of course, if you want authentic you could always go for
    > Bochs. It's a machine emulator, and you specify all the architectural
    > parameters that you want it to emulate. And then install proper DOS on
    > it, if you want to run proper DOS. It's a bit slow, though, since it's
    > emulating *everything* in software, rather than the almost everything
    > that DOSBox does.

    Ackkk. thats going even more over my head. Never heard of Bochs.I think
    for now, I better stick to trying to either success with doscbox to get
    my game going, or give up and forget about it for now at least, till my
    frustration level goes down :)

    Mary
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary, there is a later game call "Lemmings Revolution" for Windows 98 &
    98Se. Plays great in Windows XP. Its nice and is a 3D world. Just as
    aggravating at times, but nicer scenery.
    Joan

    Mary wrote:
    > "mec-devil" <delusions@fools.paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mary typed:
    >>
    >>>I started to play Lemmings about two years ago
    >>>and it got so difficult, I had to give up because
    >>>I couldn't get past one of the levels. I forget
    >>>which version of Lemmings it was. It was on CD.
    >>>I think it was Oh no, not more Lemmings.
    >>
    >>Yes! :) 'Oh No! More Lemmings' is probably the most
    >>difficult of all of them, one for the veterans. ;) I'm
    >>only half way through it myself, but I decided to go
    >>save a less tricky Lemmings and get back to it later,
    >>because it was getting too frustrating.
    >

    > I had to give up on Lemmings as it became very difficult. I haven't seen
    > any new Lemmings since Oh no more Lemmings in any of the game software
    > stores I go to, have you? At least I think thats the version I have,
    > though not positive. It was fun for a while, till I couldn't go any
    > further.
    >

    >>>Its kind of a different kind of game. I think I
    >>>have the saves from it on a floppy, but never went
    >>>back to it. I found a walkthrough for it at one time,
    >>>but even that couldn't get me past the level I got
    >>>stuck at.
    >>
    >>Lemmings *can* be difficult to save sometimes, not
    >>so much because of the puzzles, but the execution :)
    >

    > Because its time limited, it can be annoying though. But its fun till
    > you get to the really difficult parts.
    >

    >>At any rate, they are incredibly addictive (and cute!)
    >

    > The music is kind of catchy, but the game can be frustrating because of
    > having to do the same thing over and over if you don't succeed on a
    > level.
    >

    >>Lemmings, you see, they *need* saving. In fact, I dare
    >>say they *want* to be saved. ;) And so, I have devoted
    >>my life to saving the Lemmings.
    >

    > A worthy cause :)
    >
    > Mary

PC gaming DOS Games Video Games