Best option for networking two computers with only wifi hotspot access

jlazarus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I am helping out a friend who has an office that is not in a location where DSL or Cable is available. His only option for internet is using a hotspot - in this case, the Elevate Hot Spot from AT&T.

He needs to network two computers so that he can enable QuickBooks Pro in multi user mode - i.e., data file shared on Computer A, accessed by Computer B.

I thought at first that perhaps I could just setup a wireless connection for the office network - however, whenever that connection is on, then obviously neither computer can access the hotspot.

Trying to keep this at *minimal* cost.

My best idea is to old school network - i.e., connect the two computers via crossover ethernet. Am I correct that this will work? Seems to me that then both computers *should* still be able to access the hotspot via their wifi, yet also be networked for file sharing.

My questions are:

1.) Is this a correct assessment?

2.) Are there any road blocks I should be thinking about?

3.) Any reason not to do a direct connection (i.e., any reason I should entertain connecting to a switch instead?)

4.) Is there a certain order I should do things?

5.) Am I missing any alternative?

Thanks!

jlazarus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

I'm primarily a web developer - not a hardware girl ;-) But from time to time I do help folks out who need it. I can follow instructions well, but I'm not a network expert by any means at all.

Having said that, I didn't realize I would need to assign static IPs to each computer....I thought I was just going to set up workgroups, plug in ethernet, share the appropriate files and go! lol.....

So.........basically I need to do something else first - I assume then (I googled this to better understand but correct me if I did not) I need to:

1.) Give one computer an IP address of say 192.168.0.1, then give the second computer an IP of say 192.168.0.2.

2.) What about subnet mask?

3.) And you said leave Default Gateway and DNS server values blank, right?

So I do all that FIRST? Then Set up workgroup, then connect?

Thanks!!!

jlazarus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

Thank you. Will be a few days before I actually do this - tried yesterday (unsuccessfully) to use a wireless router to network - which networked the computers but then they couldn't access the hotspot simultaneously. I'll check back in Friday once I've actually done this if I have additional questions.

Thanks again!

jlazarus

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Well, I am stuck. I did everything set ips, etc., , created a new workgroup, rebooted, etc...when i click on network i can see the other computer but can't access. Anytime I try to share a file, the only option is to share with a homegroup? And then I'm told that the computer can't connect to a homegroup...Any ideas????

NeVErmIND - lol....I think I got it ;-)