New License for OEM

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
I tried to sell my OEM copy of Win7 along with the motherboard it was tied to. But I couldn't. I managed to sell the board, but am stuck with the OEM copy of Win7. So now I was wondering... if I install the old OEM Win7 on my new build, can I purchase a new license from M$ at the time of activation? Or do I have to trash this copy and physically buy a new copy?

Solution
Sometimes The License will reactivate on the new system using the old key ( though technically against their EULA - it can be reused at times depending on when the last time the OS was reinstalled and how many times it has been reinstalled ) - so never hurts to give it a try (also if it fails to activate at times calling the activation support line (phone # given if\when it fails to activate) sometimes talking to them and letting them know the old install is no longer in use will get them to reactivate it for you (this depends on the support person you talk to at the time and the mood (s)he is in at the time !) but also does not hurt to try --- Figure worse case it fails to activate and you have 30 days to purchase a new license (which...

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know I won't have to waste perfectly good plastic. :) I'm assuming the price would be the retail price for another OEM. (??) About $100.

Sometimes The License will reactivate on the new system using the old key ( though technically against their EULA - it can be reused at times depending on when the last time the OS was reinstalled and how many times it has been reinstalled ) - so never hurts to give it a try (also if it fails to activate at times calling the activation support line (phone # given if\when it fails to activate) sometimes talking to them and letting them know the old install is no longer in use will get them to reactivate it for you (this depends on the support person you talk to at the time and the mood (s)he is in at the time !) but also does not hurt to try --- Figure worse case it fails to activate and you have 30 days to purchase a new license (which can be done without the need to reinstall !) - so best bet is to try it and be ready to purchase a new key if trying other options fails - since it can be used on a trial basis for 30 days without activating you have plenty of time to test out methods for activating and still purchase a code if needed without any problems.

Solution

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

Another good point. Thanks, I will try the above. But this OEM has run out of licenses, I think. It was originally on my 1st Gigabyte board that failed while it was under warranty (thankfully). I RMA'd the board and replaced it with a similar but slightly different Gigabyte model because the original was out of stock. I was able to obtain a free replacement license during that installation and activation. So I imagine this time I will be expected to pay since I'm using it on a new build.

Like I said it really depends on who you talk to and what kind of mood they are in (I've done the same before and after calling a few times and talking to different people was able to get a new code (figure the support personnel are minimum wage workers that have no loyalty to MS, so will many times just give out the codes needed) - there is no real way of knowing without asking just be polite and understanding (since they listen to complaints all day !) sometimes being persistent and polite pays off.

mmilner1

Honorable
May 10, 2012

I am an upgrade junky and everytime I add an SSD, MB/CPU or even have to reload my software for newer SSD drivers I have to call Microsoft and renew so to speak my license. If you call them from the activation screen you should just be able to explain you have new hardware and they most likely will just issue you new license number.