Logitech Z-680 5.1 THX Speakers

oskool

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2001
I see logitech have released a new 5.1 speaker system to improve on the the Z-560.

Looking at the pics, they look pretty cool ;)

Looks like they will be a nice alternative to the creative megaworks, good news seeing how creative seems to have such bad after sales service.

Anyone got any views on them?

oskool

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2001
Here's a link <A HREF="http://gear.ign.com/articles/371/371336p1.html" target="_new">http://gear.ign.com/articles/371/371336p1.html</A>

riko

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2002
Sorry I'm still borderline bankrupt (which I have a tendency to use as my reasoning behind trying to leverage every dollar I got and jump on the consumer advocates bandwagon).... but...

I wouldn't be too sure that the pricing is reasonable considering the good deal and price mark made by the z560's. They were close to, at intro time, around 200$ Canadian, and now rest at $240 or so. Judging by the price conversion the 680's'll end up about $400 (Can.). This 5.1 offering, (which they should have made when they entered the market)considering the advent of 6.1 DD & DTS (and some 7.1 cards) and possibly THX Ultra 2 seems really half axed or a way, way too slow.

I was wondering also about the technology of the speaker design itself, has this improved? Are there specs concerning the current technology, I mean specs that I can objectively compare? Are there treble adjustments, an easy to access fuse, crossover adjustments, DTS-ES decoding, yadayadayada...

I've politely (hard for me) inquired with Logitech several times over many months specifically about upcoming products, to which I get the most inane and ridiculous responses. Which makes it absolutely obvious they are not allowed to/going to/want to release any details about any future products (speakers). Like pricing the z-560 well below the market wasn't a loud enough shot over the bows of the competition. Gimme a break.

Reaveal yourselves or get toasted. Like I said I'm probably going to end up getting even another set of z560's Unless I can find a demo setup of Megtaworks and Altech 641's.

I think the market is prime right now for dual 10" sub's, satelittes with at least an additional 1" tweeter, and a center speaker adding 4.5" dual perimeter cones and variable inputs on it for combined or 7.1 setup and a bump of about 20 watts.

A neat marketing trick might be; to also allow the setup of of additional satelittes ( or accessories) to the base or any number of schemes that allow tweaking and flexibility. Now I know it is very easy to snipe at an individual's ideas, but if a manufacturer puts out a product with crazy ideas we lap it up, why? Is it the perceived authority or credibility we associate with a maker that suggest they 'know'?

I like the power of PC setup because I use it as my stereo, home theater and for gaming. I probably got real bad ears from all the Zep, Funk and Floyd concerts I went to, but until I get a hearing aid I can not justify a separate audio system with all it's square plastic lights and square plastic price.

Rico