Sign in with
Your question

Best 5.1 card?

Last response: in Components
October 9, 2002 4:45:59 AM

Ok, I'm planning on buying a new sound card to go with the Klipsch promedia 5.1 speakers I plan to get around xmas. Could you please post your vote for best 5.1 sound card? Just do me a favor and include both the good and bad aspects of the card you recommend. Thanks.

Oh, and please if your going to say this or that card sucks, give a reason. :) 

--Xenius
-non computer guru

More about : card

October 10, 2002 3:47:37 AM

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
You can choose where you want the control panel to activate from.
Comes with a Versa Jack that can be configured for input or output.
Gives you the ability to configure your sound for Music or Games and save your favorite settings.
The control panel is very user friendly.
The sound is exceptional quality.
The center channel works with music and games.
You can individually control center and sub-woofer channels.

I've also got a Creative Audigy Gamer Soundcard, of which I started noticing the loss of the Center chanel function when playing music, it worked great in games with EAX but no matter what I did to resolve the issue it would not work in music playback, I felt kinda ripped off after spending over 100 dollars US on the card so I purchased the TBSC at first just to give it a try, I figured if I didn't like it I could take it back to the store and get my money back, well the difference between the two cards was so obvious I kept the TBSC, I can honestly tell you if it blew up today, I would go back to the store and buy me another one. I don't know what else to tell you, but the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is just a better card than the Creative Audigy Gamer, unless all you do is play games and never listen to MP3s or watch DVDs on your computer. Ryan

PS I wish I'd had the information I just gave you before I wasted 100 dollars on the Creative Soundcard.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
October 10, 2002 4:19:57 AM

Quote:
I've also got a Creative Audigy Gamer Soundcard, of which I started noticing the loss of the Center chanel function when playing music, it worked great in games with EAX but no matter what I did to resolve the issue it would not work in music playback

Lol, that's by design. The Audigy doesn't use the center channel for stereo sources unless you force it with the CMSS mode in Playcenter (sounds like crap).

Ritesh
Related resources
October 10, 2002 7:03:44 PM

Be brave and adventuresome! Try the new Herculees Fortismo III 7.1 card and let us know what you think about it!

Windows is like a house of cards... One wrong move and it all comes crashing down.
October 13, 2002 1:47:13 AM

Well, i have an audigy sound card. it runs great for me, no conflicts as of yet and the sound is incredible. It is so much better than the live sound card which sucked and had conflicts with the VIA chipset on the mobo. I can only compare the audigy to the sound blaster live, i havent owned a santa cruz but i have heard that they are great cards.
October 13, 2002 3:03:54 PM

I use philphs sound card. Well, my dad has it now and he is to cheap to buy $100 speakers for the 5.1 sound

A 5 foot work fan, plastic sheeting for the funnel, some tubing, and duct tape is all you need for a cooling system. :wink:
October 13, 2002 9:14:54 PM

I didn't know TBSC was a 5.1 card, I've only heard it on an Altec-Lansing 3-speaker setup (2 satelites + 1 subwoofer). The card sounds great, but the Audigy Platinum sounded better on my system with Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 speakers.
I'd stay away from SIS chipsets if you get an Audigy. Not sure about ALI. AMD, Nvidia, and VIA work fine.
Creative's downloadable drivers have diagnostic tools in them. Depending on your specific setup, you may need them to resolve problems.
I didn't have a problem at all, though.
P.S. I didn't/wouldn't pay over $150 for the card. I believe the X-Gamer and MP3 versions only differ from the Platinum in software and the lack of an Audigy drive.

Pain is the realization of your own weakness.
!