Burner acting really wierd! Please help!

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I own a Compaq Presario 8000Z. The CD burner that came with the computer(which I've already had to replace once via warranty)is...

HL-DT-ST GCE-8240B

Whatever the hell that is. It's been working for me since 03/19/02 when I had it replaced. Since about yesterday I am not able to burn working cd-r's anymore.

Nero Burning Rom no longer detects my CD-RW. So I can only use the Image Recorder which only creates image files.

For some reason, creating an ISO w/Nero and using Roxio doesn't work either. It only burns the actual .cue and .bin files directly as they are to the cd-r. So by this I assume my burner works, but I'm not sure.

Then I used Fireburner and it looked like all was good. Added .cue and .bin file and it burned completely with no errors. But when I loaded said CD-R into my DVD-Rom, it wouldn't read it. I've been through 7 coasters since yesterday.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when fireburner first started up, it said it couldn't read my device because it was missing <b>WNASPI32.dll</b>. Is this suppossed to be strange? So then I downloaded the .dll and put it in c:\windows\setup. Well this fixed the fireburner not reading device issue, but the cd-r was still unreadable after I tried burning the .cue and .bin files. I also tried burning an .iso which didn't read either.

After putting wnaspi32.dll back in my computer I thought maybe Nero would read my CD-RW again. Nope.

Is there something I can do to fix this problem?

And I know that the .cue/.bin files aren't corrupt. And my CD-RW seems to work for other burns, just not with image/.cue file burning.

I can't find drivers for my backwards branded CD burner either.

Is it time to take it back to Best Buy for a new one again?

Thanks for any and all help.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Uh, nevermind. Sorry.

I rebooted then re-installed Nero. It recognized my burner. I guess that .dll file was the problem.

Sorry for the wasted space.