Cannot play Yahoo videos

Ricochet_16

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
You were right that it was an Adobe Flash problem. Something happened today, however, that changed the flash. I discovered that my Firefox had been updated to Version 12, from 10. Version 12 will not accept the latest Flash updates to work with Yahoo. I experimented with several of the latest Flash versions without success before I realized that I had to go back to Firefox 10 and reinstall the separate Adobe Flash versions 11.10102.55 for IE and non-IE. Now I can play my online videos again, including those on Yahoo.

I have another question related to Firefox. How can I prevent Firefox from automatically updating to Version 12?

Ricochet_16

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I found the answer to preventing Firefox from automatically updating. That should have been posted on a separate thread. You go to Options, click on the Advanced Tab and check next to "Never check for updates". I went a little further and unchecked "Automatically update" for add-ons and search engines.

Thanks guys for the suggestions, especially that it was a flash version problem, which seems to be related to Version 12 of Firefox.

Ricochet_16

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
What are some other things you do not like about Firefox 12 besides the apparent incompatibility with the latest Adobe Flash Player pllugins? Or is that the main reason you don't like it?

I forgot to mention that, after I reverted Firefox back to Version 10, and installed the matching flash plugins, I found another problem that I corrected, in order to make the Yahoo videos play. Under Firefox Tools and Options, I unchecked "Enable Javascript". I don't know what that did, but it worked.

It seems that Adobe and Mozilla need to get together about compatibility issues between the latest flash plugins and Firefox 12. It may have something to do with Windows 7, also. I have Win7 64 bit. Adobe's latest plugin combines 32 bit and 64 bit, but I don't believe the 64 bit part of it is compatible with Windows 7. Therefore, the older flash plugin combined with an older version of Firefox worked. But, maybe someone has a better explanation for it.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
My Firefox has always worked fine, however its always worth having a couple browsers on every computer. Some websites just work better with some browsers (like how internet explorer works terrible on 90% of them).

Chrome is nice, but I really appreciate using a nonprofit product instead of helping Google conquer the world. The last few versions of firefox have caught it up to Chrome in speed and simplicity. the best add-ons are now available on both though -- (ad-block, downthemall, Smartr)

I've just found the responsiveness of the browser to be... lacking. Not to toot my own horn here or anything but you'll notice that my PC isn't exactly a Pentium 4 if you know what I mean. There's a reason Mozilla has lost a lot of marketshare, they've fallen behind

Ricochet_16

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I have noticed that, also, compared with the IE9 and Avant. It's just that I have become so used to Firefox that I practically make it my primary browser. But I have also tried Chrome, which has its own Java plugin, and I found no problems with it.

Since my last post I also discovered something else with my Firefox, with respect to playing videos. To play videos on Yahoo News, I have to uncheck "Enable Javascript". However, to play videos on CNN News I have to check that box to Enable Javascript. To login to this site and send emails to those on my Yahoo Mail Contact List I have to enable Javascript. I don't have that problem with IE9 and Avant. The Avant browser is configured with videos, Active X, scripts, and Java applets enabled, unless you disable them, and I have mine set to IE Compatible.

rhlappraisals

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

I had the same problem on my Dell desktop with Windows 7 OS on it. I tried everything under he sun. I finally resolved it by downloading Avast free anti virus software (minimal install) and doing a full scan. It took a long time to scan but it worked.

Good luck