New build, Windows wont show hard drive. Help please

emoney123

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
I just built a computer for the first time and for the boot drive i have a ssd. With that i have a hard drive. Now windows finds it in device manager but not in "computer". the Bios finds it too. i re installed the driver and restarted still nothing. Help?

Solution

You may need to go to disk management and initialize/format the drive. You did not mention what version of windows you are using. If it is WIN 7 right click on computer, context menu pops up, left click manage, computer management window opens, left click disk management. you should disk 0 = C drive and Disk 1 should be your hard drive. left click the box with disk 1 to select, right click for context menu pop up, select format, select drive letter, size, and format NTFS.

t53186

Distinguished

You may need to go to disk management and initialize/format the drive. You did not mention what version of windows you are using. If it is WIN 7 right click on computer, context menu pops up, left click manage, computer management window opens, left click disk management. you should disk 0 = C drive and Disk 1 should be your hard drive. left click the box with disk 1 to select, right click for context menu pop up, select format, select drive letter, size, and format NTFS.

Solution

emoney123

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

It worked! Thanks! and yeah it was windows 7 sorry about that it was getting late :sleep:

t53186

Distinguished

Fantastic, glad it worked, just for your info. A drive that is seen in bios and device manager is a physical storage device. After it has been formatted and initialized there is logical information available to the OS. Such as sector size, number of sectors, stripe size, etc. All the information needed for the operating system to write chunks of data to the drive. Kind of like houses on a street. Lets say 5 people per house, 10 houses, maximum storage of people is 50, no one "lives" in between.