Sound on Soundstage

Last response: in Home Audio
October 7, 2004 6:56:26 AM

I'm watching "Yes" on Soundstage. Is the sound on this show always this bad?
They're trying an acoustic set (all the ORIGINAL members playing "Owner of a
Lonely Heart" on ACOUSTIC instruments and it's just NOT working). Very
muddy.

--
Thanks,
Ricky W. Hunt

More about : sound soundstage

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 6:56:27 AM

"Ricky W. Hunt" wrote:

> I'm watching "Yes" on Soundstage. Is the sound on this show always this bad?
> They're trying an acoustic set (all the ORIGINAL members playing "Owner of a
> Lonely Heart" on ACOUSTIC instruments and it's just NOT working). Very
> muddy.

I saw that the other night, and I agree. Although we know these guys are
great musicians, there's something about the mix, or their arrangements,
that doesn't blend too well, especially on those acoustic tunes.

And I thought the "unplugged" thing was over for now.
October 7, 2004 8:38:46 AM

"Don Cooper" <dcooper288000@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Ricky W. Hunt" wrote:
>
>> I'm watching "Yes" on Soundstage. Is the sound on this show always this
>> bad?
>> They're trying an acoustic set (all the ORIGINAL members playing "Owner
>> of a
>> Lonely Heart" on ACOUSTIC instruments and it's just NOT working). Very
>> muddy.
>

> I saw that the other night, and I agree. Although we know these guys are
> great musicians, there's something about the mix, or their arrangements,
> that doesn't blend too well, especially on those acoustic tunes.
>
> And I thought the "unplugged" thing was over for now.

I tried to watch and enjoy their Soundstage show some the other night and it
was just as muddy as it was when I saw them live in 1979...

I'm guessing Yes is simply a better studio band?

Dunno...

Andy
October 7, 2004 10:58:31 AM

"Andy" <nospamaeng@hovston.rr.com> wrote in message

> I'm gvessing Yes is simply a better stvdio band?

I definitely didn't feel their chops were what they were in their prime (bvt
whose are?). Bvt "Yes" has done some great sovnding live recordings. I'm
betting it's "Sovndstage". I saw Todd Rvndgren awhile back and he had that
same awfvl sovnd and I think it was on Sovndstage. That "fvll" acovstic
gvitar jvst DOES NOT go over well on TV. Union Station (Alison Kravss' band)
pvlls it off better than abovt anyone IMO.
October 7, 2004 5:46:49 PM

"Ricky W. Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> writes:

>I'm watching "Yes" on Soundstage. Is the sound on this show always this bad?
>They're trying an acoustic set (all the ORIGINAL members playing "Owner of a
>Lonely Heart" on ACOUSTIC instruments and it's just NOT working). Very
>muddy.

Didn't see that one, but I caught Steve Winwood on Soundstage over
the weekend. He and the band were SO damned GOOD I didn't even notice
the sound quality.
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 5:46:50 PM

georgeh wrote:

> Didn't see that one, but I caught Steve Winwood on Soundstage over
> the weekend. He and the band were SO damned GOOD I didn't even notice
> the sound quality.

Steve was great on Austin City Limits, too. It was more of a Traffic
vibe than his MIDI'ed, triggered, 80's sound.
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 7:05:04 PM

"georgeh" <georgeh@gjhsun.cl.msu.edu> wrote in message
> "Ricky W. Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>>I'm watching "Yes" on Soundstage. Is the sound on this show always this
>>bad?
>>They're trying an acoustic set (all the ORIGINAL members playing "Owner of
>>Lonely Heart" on ACOUSTIC instruments and it's just NOT working). Very
>>muddy.
>
> Didn't see that one, but I caught Steve Winwood on Soundstage over
> the weekend. He and the band were SO damned GOOD I didn't even notice
> the sound quality.

Was it an acoustic set? The two times I've noticed it was acoustic sets.
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 11:57:29 PM

Actually, the sound from KCET-HD, from my Comcast Motorola6208 HD DVR cable
box in DD2.0 to my Denon receiver decoded with Dolby ProLogic to my M&K
MPS2510 system sounded fabulous. Not muddy, very well mixed and transmitted.

I recorded the show on the DVR, and you're welcome to come over and
listen...

--
Doug Osborne

my day job: http://www.martinsound.com/

"Ricky W. Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm watching "Yes" on Soundstage. Is the sound on this show always this
> bad? They're trying an acoustic set (all the ORIGINAL members playing
> "Owner of a Lonely Heart" on ACOUSTIC instruments and it's just NOT
> working). Very muddy.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Ricky W. Hunt
> freendeed

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 11:56:05 PM

"serious fun" <seriousfun@attbi.com> wrote in message
> Actually, the sound from KCET-HD, from my Comcast Motorola6208 HD DVR
> cable box in DD2.0 to my Denon receiver decoded with Dolby ProLogic to my
> M&K MPS2510 system sounded fabulous. Not muddy, very well mixed and
> transmitted.
>
> I recorded the show on the DVR, and you're welcome to come over and
> listen...

Maybe it's my (admittedly cheap) subwoofer on my TV setup.
!