2-256mb vs 1-512mb?

athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
i just ordered a gigabyte GA-8PE667. it's due tomorrow and before i buy the memory there is 2 questions i have.

1) which is better 2-256mb of ram or 1-512mb of ram?

2) which is the best brand (aka stability)?

thanks in advance

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
usually i would say get 1 stick of 512, but with new chipset technology its better to get 2 sticks of 256. that way your also safe for future dual ddr motherboards as well.

keep this i mind; its better to get ram with lower mhz ans lower cas. now i don't mean you should get pc2100 @ cas 2, but if you are going to get pc3200 @ cas 2.5, the better thing to do it to get pc3000 @ cas 2.0.

<b><font color=orange>*my favorite bum on 21st street*

-please help-
will code HTML for food.
-god bless you-

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm going to go against what scamtron suggests. DDR400 (and in some cases DDR333) has a noisy signal that causes instability with the more sticks of RAM you put in there. Because of this, I would suggest that you go with a single 512MB stick of DDR333 so that you know that you will be able to upgrade your system in the future with another stick and not cause the PC to become unstable.

As far as what memory brand/stick to go with, I'd suggest checking out what Intel has <A HREF="http://www.intel.com/technology/memory/ddr/valid/dram_results.htm" target="_new">validated</A> and chosing from that list.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
DDR400 (and in some cases DDR333) has a noisy signal that causes instability with the more sticks of RAM you put in there.
i agree...
I would suggest that you go with a single 512MB stick of DDR333 so that you know that you will be able to upgrade your system in the future with another stick and not cause the PC to become unstable
ditto..
anyways...if you're planning on using anything higher than pc2700/pc3000....then get a single stick...otherwise 2 sticks are fine...

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek:

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
You have your opinions and I have mine, but never are you going to find me make such a post:
I'm going to go against what scamtron suggests
Here is how I will back up what I have to say; I for one am going to have a motherboard with dual DDR before I have two sticks of 512MB ram (now 1 could be 512 as you mention and the other could be ???). and so could the person who made this thread. another <b>very important</b> point is the fact that if 1 stick goes bad, which isn’t at all uncommon, you still can operate your pc while you wait for the other to arrive (hopefully covered be the warranty).

Based on those facts, you can give your suggestions or opinions, but please do stop going around and making such posts that remind me of childish behavior. i don’t care if you get a kick out of it, but I’m letting you know I don’t like such behavior.

Now one thing you CAN try is making a post that explains the pros and cons of both setups, as they exist with both setups. Then it is up to the user to decide which suits him/her better. I’m sure not everyone is going to like either what you say or what I say.

Anyway, I only wanted you to know that I didn’t appreciate the way you made your post. Now if you were right and there were no buts or ifs, I would not mind as you did in the other thread (remember?).

-please help-
will code HTML for food.
-god bless you-

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
well you can call me a baby if it makes you happy. you don't know me, but if you did, you'd know that i'm a very logical guy. i wouldn't call this being a baby, but i would say i explain me self well.

let me tell you something... making posts like that starts arguments that go on for pages. it happens simply because one person only sees his/her point of view only. i could get very detailed about this, but i'm not going to. i just don't feel like it.

i could have just said, you wouldn't understand (meaning you are stupid). do you see what i'm saying? do think before you say something.

-please help-
will code HTML for food.
-god bless you-

Bahumut

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
Two sticks = 4 banks
Transfering through four banks is faster than transfering through two.
A side-effect of heat spreaders is they usually disrupt noise, effectively ruducing it.
Even with the noise, most new boards can run two DDR333 (PC2700) sticks.

Go with two sticks, it'll be faster and if one goes out, you'll still have the other.

Brands: Samsung, Crucial(Micron), Corsair.
Take your pick.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Poster: scamtron
Subject: Re: 2-256mb vs 1-512mb?

You have your opinions and I have mine, but never are you going to find me make such a post:
In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to go against what scamtron suggests

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how I will back up what I have to say; I for one am going to have a motherboard with dual DDR before I have two sticks of 512MB ram (now 1 could be 512 as you mention and the other could be ???). and so could the person who made this thread. another very important point is the fact that if 1 stick goes bad, which isn’t at all uncommon, you still can operate your pc while you wait for the other to arrive (hopefully covered be the warranty).

Based on those facts, you can give your suggestions or opinions, but please do stop going around and making such posts that remind me of childish behavior. i don’t care if you get a kick out of it, but I’m letting you know I don’t like such behavior.

Now one thing you CAN try is making a post that explains the pros and cons of both setups, as they exist with both setups. Then it is up to the user to decide which suits him/her better. I’m sure not everyone is going to like either what you say or what I say.

Anyway, I only wanted you to know that I didn’t appreciate the way you made your post. Now if you were right and there were no buts or ifs, I would not mind as you did in the other thread (remember?).
Whoah, scamtron, settle down! Maybe the English language isn't your bag? All that I said was that I'm going to suggest something different from what you suggested. If you have a problem with people having an opinion different than yours, too bad. :p

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
> I'm going to go against what scamtron suggests

When I read that I thought okay here silver is postioning his next comment to make it clear. I didn't take it as a shot at scamtron at all.

John A