Check this site out if youare an old Sierra+Lucas fan!!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Check this site out, it really really good!!!

http://www.agamesroom.com/

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"whick90" wrote in news:1123403484.145059.321130
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Check this site out, it really really good!!!

It's also really really illegal.

Rikard Peterson wrote:

> "whick90" wrote in news:1123403484.145059.321130
> @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>

>>Check this site out, it really really good!!!
>

> It's also really really illegal.

Old Sierra and LucasArts games.
I thought some of the LucasArts games are still being sold
from the LucasArts site. But I don't see them there anymore.
The Sierra games haven't been sold for quite some time.
I don't even know who owns what used to be Sierra anymore.
So the site may be technically illegal, but I don't think
it's hurting company sales at all - not like a warez site
with recent games.
Scan for viruses before using any download though - just in case.

In article <Xns96ABE61A1190Btrumgottistbigfootco@127.0.0.1>, Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>"whick90" wrote in news:1123403484.145059.321130
>@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Check this site out, it really really good!!!
>
>It's also really really illegal.

it is abandoned software! it's not illegal.

"Frederic Gillioz" wrote in news:dd8hrp$c68$00$1@news.t-online.com:

> Rikard Peterson wrote:
>>
>>"whick90" wrote in news:1123403484.145059.321130
>>@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> Check this site out, it really really good!!!
>>
>>It's also really really illegal.
>
> it is abandoned software! it's not illegal.

Yes it is. Regardless of how "abandoned" the software is, it's still
illegal. No question about that. Morally however, some people use the
tag "abandonware" to describe a case where they think it's ok to copy
the programs. I happen to disagree, but I can see the point they're
making.

The site in question also offers games like Full Throttle which I saw a
budget release of in a store yesterday, so the level of abandonment of
those titles can also be discussed. But I'd rather not. I'll just point
out that abandoned or not, those games are still copyrighted and
illegal to copy.

Rikard

In article <Xns96ACF21AD458Ctrumgottistbigfootco@127.0.0.1>, Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>"Frederic Gillioz" wrote in news:dd8hrp$c68$00$1@news.t-online.com:
>
>> Rikard Peterson wrote:
>>>
>>>"whick90" wrote in news:1123403484.145059.321130
>>>@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

>>>It's also really really illegal.
>>
>> it is abandoned software! it's not illegal.
>
>Yes it is. Regardless of how "abandoned" the software is, it's still
>illegal. No question about that. Morally however, some people use the
>tag "abandonware" to describe a case where they think it's ok to copy
>the programs. I happen to disagree, but I can see the point they're
>making.
>
>The site in question also offers games like Full Throttle which I saw a
>budget release of in a store yesterday, so the level of abandonment of
>those titles can also be discussed. But I'd rather not. I'll just point
>out that abandoned or not, those games are still copyrighted and
>illegal to copy.
>
>Rikard

ok

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Jenny100 wrote:

> The Sierra games haven't been sold for quite some time.
> I don't even know who owns what used to be Sierra anymore.

Vivendi does, and they've re-released some of the old Sierra games.
I've noticed new versions of The Bard's Tale and The Hobbit in the
stores, but there's no sign of the adventures yet.

don wrote:

> Jenny100 wrote:
>

>>The Sierra games haven't been sold for quite some time.
>>I don't even know who owns what used to be Sierra anymore.
>

> Vivendi does, and they've re-released some of the old Sierra games.
> I've noticed new versions of The Bard's Tale and The Hobbit in the
> stores, but there's no sign of the adventures yet.

The recent game called "The Bard's Tale" has nothing to do
with the older one. Two different games with the same name.
Same with "The Hobbit."

And I thought Vivendi had to sell off what used to be Sierra
because of financial troubles.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

In article <42FA1312.A0E57198@no.spam>, don@no.spam says...

>Jenny100 wrote:

>> The Sierra games haven't been sold for quite some time.
>> I don't even know who owns what used to be Sierra anymore.

>Vivendi does, and they've re-released some of the old Sierra games.
>I've noticed new versions of The Bard's Tale and The Hobbit in the
>stores, but there's no sign of the adventures yet.

The Bard's Tale was released by Interplay, which is still an independent
company.

Civil War Round Table of DC & Concentration Camp made of Lego bricks
http://members.tripod.com/~kennrice
Maps of Ultima 7 Parts 1 & 2, Prophecy of the Shadow, Savage Empire,
Crusaders of Dark Savant & Others.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

In article <WcsKe.5240$0d.2035@trnddc03>, no@email.ads says...

>In article <42FA1312.A0E57198@no.spam>, don@no.spam says...

>>Jenny100 wrote:

>>> The Sierra games haven't been sold for quite some time.
>>> I don't even know who owns what used to be Sierra anymore.

>>Vivendi does, and they've re-released some of the old Sierra games.
>>I've noticed new versions of The Bard's Tale and The Hobbit in the
>>stores, but there's no sign of the adventures yet.

>The Bard's Tale was released by Interplay, which is still an independent
>company.

That should have been the original Bard's Tale. The new game is being released
by InXile Entertainment. The original author of the Bard's Tale, Brian Fargo,
is also authoring the new game.

Jenny100 wrote:

> The recent game called "The Bard's Tale" has nothing to do
> with the older one. Two different games with the same name.
> Same with "The Hobbit."

As Ken pointed out, the new Bard's Tale is a reworking of the original
game by the original author. I guess I was wrong about The Hobbit, but
when I saw Sierra's name on the box along with their logo, I couldn't
help but think it was either a re-release or a reworking of the original
game. I checked, and the original game called The Hobbit was published
by Melbourne House.

> And I thought Vivendi had to sell off what used to be Sierra
> because of financial troubles.

I seem to remember something about that, but the Sierra site sill has
Vivendi's name on it, and it's been updated recently. I looks like
Vivendi still owns Sierra, but do they own the rights to the older
games? Half-Life looks like the oldest Sierra game they sell.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Ken Rice wrote:

> >The Bard's Tale was released by Interplay, which is still an independent
> >company.

Oh, right! I should have know that because I have it in Interplay's
10th Year Anthology! Interplay is barely still a company. Haven't they
been in bankruptcy for some time?

> That should have been the original Bard's Tale. The new game is being released
> by InXile Entertainment.

It's featured on the Sierra site. Is there a connection between InXile
and Sierra?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On that special day, don, (don@no.spam) said...

> As Ken pointed out, the new Bard's Tale is a reworking of the original
> game by the original author.

Reworking? How can you call that one-person 3D FPS Action "role
playing" game a "rework" of a classical turn-based 6-guysngals-party 2D
game, that had a step by step movement from square to square?

Gabriele "played Thief of Time on a German keyboard" Neukam

Gabriele.Spamfighter.Neukam@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

Gabriele Neukam wrote:
> On that special day, don, (don@no.spam) said...
>

>>As Ken pointed out, the new Bard's Tale is a reworking of the original
>>game by the original author.
>

> Reworking? How can you call that one-person 3D FPS Action "role
> playing" game a "rework" of a classical turn-based 6-guysngals-party 2D
> game, that had a step by step movement from square to square?

That's kind of what I meant. I didn't realize the author
of the original Bard's Tale had anything to do with the
newer game though.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

In article <42FABFE3.CF36940B@no.spam>, don@no.spam says...

>Ken Rice wrote:

>> >The Bard's Tale was released by Interplay, which is still an independent
>> >company.

>Oh, right! I should have know that because I have it in Interplay's
>10th Year Anthology! Interplay is barely still a company. Haven't they
>been in bankruptcy for some time?

>> That should have been the original Bard's Tale. The new game is being
>> released by InXile Entertainment.

>It's featured on the Sierra site. Is there a connection between InXile
>and Sierra?

I didn't find any connection mentioned on either The Bard's Tale or InXile's
web sites. Perhaps Sierra is the US distributor of the game. Apparently Ubisoft
is now distributing Bard's Tale for the PS2 and XBox in Europe, according to
inXile's web site

http://www.inxile-entertainment.com/

http://www.thebardstale.com/

http://www.sierra.com/product.do?gamePlatformId=595

Gabriele Neukam wrote:

> On that special day, don, (don@no.spam) said...
>
> > As Ken pointed out, the new Bard's Tale is a reworking of the original
> > game by the original author.
>
> Reworking? How can you call that one-person 3D FPS Action "role
> playing" game a "rework" of a classical turn-based 6-guysngals-party 2D
> game, that had a step by step movement from square to square?

"Reworking" just means using the material again in altered form. It
doesn't imply to me that it's the exact same game with updated graphics
and sound. Besides, it's a third-person perspective, and according to
the official site, you can "develop your combat party by summoning a
group of eccentrics and misfits to do your bidding." They probably
thought adding more action elements would attract more of the younger
console playing crowd, but it still sounds like it has a lot of role
playing elements.

"don" wrote in news:42FA1312.A0E57198@no.spam:

> Jenny100 wrote:
>
>> The Sierra games haven't been sold for quite some time.
>> I don't even know who owns what used to be Sierra anymore.
>
> Vivendi does, and they've re-released some of the old Sierra games.
> I've noticed new versions of The Bard's Tale and The Hobbit in the
> stores, but there's no sign of the adventures yet.

I just read that there might be something going on. Apparently
Amazon.com currently lists a October 11 2005 release date for the
following titles:

Kings Quest Compilation
Leisure Suit Larry Compilation
Police Quest Compilation
Space Quest Compilation

All published by Vivendi Universal Interactive Publishing
_for_Windows_XP_. Updated? That'd be great. Of those games, I only have
KQ6 and 7 so I'd find those collections interesting.

Rikard

Rikard Peterson wrote:

> "don" wrote in news:42FA1312.A0E57198@no.spam:
>

>>Jenny100 wrote:
>>

>>>The Sierra games haven't been sold for quite some time.
>>>I don't even know who owns what used to be Sierra anymore.
>>
>>Vivendi does, and they've re-released some of the old Sierra games.
>>I've noticed new versions of The Bard's Tale and The Hobbit in the
>>stores, but there's no sign of the adventures yet.
>

> I just read that there might be something going on. Apparently
> Amazon.com currently lists a October 11 2005 release date for the
> following titles:
>
> Kings Quest Compilation
> Leisure Suit Larry Compilation
> Police Quest Compilation
> Space Quest Compilation
>
> All published by Vivendi Universal Interactive Publishing
> _for_Windows_XP_. Updated? That'd be great. Of those games, I only have
> KQ6 and 7 so I'd find those collections interesting.
>
> Rikard

Why is it I can't find any mention of these games on any site
other than Amazon?