Sign in with
Your question

Comp Probs, PSU 2blame? (moved from mobo's forum)

Last response: in Components
October 10, 2002 3:37:42 AM

Got my new kx7 in yesterday, and I got it up and running in a little while. only problem is, when ever I run something that will stress the system (winxp code gen, United Devices processing), I get driver irq not or less equal errors and a memory dump from windows.

My temps are good, 43c idle, 51c load. My voltages are a little suspect, as my +5v line on MBM is showing 4.95v - 4.89v on my +5.0 line. I didnt think that a mobo would suck more power than my last (ABIT KG7). I Even removed all usb devices, and one stick of SAMSUNG 512 PC2100 to troubleshoot power and memory problems (have had problems with that stick before)

Xp 1800+ Swiftech Mcxc copper cooler w tip powered fan
400w Antec PSU
Abit KX7-333
256mb Crucial 2100 DDR
IBM DTLA 20gb 7200 HD
Maxtor 5400 10gb HD
Creative DVD 12x
SAF SCSI Cd-r
teac floppy
ATI RadeonLE 64mb oem - (Using the newest catalyst drivers)
Cmedia 5.1 sound
adaptec SCSI
hapagaugh wintv
3com NIC
and
4 80mm Case fans cooling very nicely
Win Xp Pro SP1

I just upgraded the mobo cause the last one died on me.. maybe too much oc'ing and probably an insufficiant amount of cooling on the northbridge. but its dead, possilbly an RMA if I can get ABIT to take it back to fix for a reasonable price.

I just dumped too much money in this to not be able to do anything "rough" on the system. Any help? I have read through the bios, set everything for stability and not speed, updated the via drivers, updated my windows drivers, hell updated my mouse drivers.

Any clues?

------------------------

A further look at my voltages

MBM says:
+3.3v = 3.49
+12.0v = 11.98
+5.0 = 4.95 <-- Seen it as low as 4.89v
-12.0 = -7.26 <-- This a problem?
Core 0 = 1.76 ~ 1.79 (1.775 enabled in bios)

I also emailed antec on if the PSU could be the case, but I dont have my recept so I dont think an RMA will work.. but Ill try if need be.

You dont have an <b>ANY</b> key? Your keyboard must not be Windows XP certified...
October 11, 2002 7:20:25 AM

The 12v voltage is WAY low. I'm not sure what the BOARD uses 12v for besides fans, but it could cause several problems:
Fans running too slow can cause overheating
Drives running too low a voltage can loose data in transfer

Both situations are bad for stability of course.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
October 11, 2002 1:34:19 PM

I pulled out my tv card.. and I havent had any crashes since. And everything seems to be running at the right rpm's, is there a way to check the PSU without having it on the board wit a multimeter?

You dont have an <b>ANY</b> key? Your keyboard must not be Windows XP certified...
Related resources
October 11, 2002 3:06:29 PM

Is there a 12v line on the PCI slot? Maybe that card was overloading the power supply? Also it could be an IRQ conflict.

Anyway, the easiest way to check the +5v and +12v power with a multimeter is on a 4-pin moles connector, where the +12v is a yellow wire, the +5v is a red wire, and the black wires are ground.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
October 11, 2002 3:59:24 PM

Ill try and check that tonight

October 13, 2002 8:58:37 PM

I dont know about the 12v line on the pci, but I did measure with a voltmeter, and I got over 12 (just over, using an analog till I can get out and buy a digital meter), but the 5v said It was over 20 volts, so I am guessing I am measureing something wrong. should I be crossing 2 wires or something on the molex? or am I looking at a problem?

October 13, 2002 10:20:27 PM

Er, one lead to the 5v (red wire on the molex) and the other to the GROUND (black wire on the molex) gave you 20v? I think you're reading the wrong line on the scale!

October 13, 2002 11:54:45 PM

Found one problem, I just removed the tip powered fan. It decided to stop on me and my system almost went to critical mass. Heck, couldnt even touch the fan until I had a house fan blow on the system for a few min. Thought my Athlon was toast, but cleaned it back up, put a 60mm delta on the "new" stock heatsink (never used), and it booted right back up.

Tip powered fan works again now that I check it out off of the system, but I am not going to trust it for that detail again.

But with that gone, my 12v line is back up to 12.4v, I have yet to run any stress tests to check for stability.

bad fan = low 12v line? I heard these things draw a bit of current..

Ill check those voltages again once I buy or borrow a digital VOM.

October 14, 2002 12:26:01 AM

I have had systems that SHUT THE CPU FAN OFF when they went into power saving mode! Luckily I was running a PIII system, where the CPU cuts power at a certain temp...but man was it hot when it did!

October 14, 2002 12:44:37 AM

Hell if that was an XP, you might have not had a room left...

!