Sign in with
Your question

Which type of connection for a gamer?

Last response: in Networking
October 31, 2012 9:27:44 PM

Hi guys,

Just moved to a new house where the router is on a different floor so I can't really run a wire to connect my PC to the internet. I'm looking at other methods and just need some advice, networking isn't exactly my speciality. The router is wireless N, probably 150mbps.

Which do you guys think is going to be the best option for a gamer like me? I'm not doing any heavy file transfers or HD streaming or anything, I just want something reliable so I can keep low ping in games and browse the web without interruption.

I don't really have a budget as such but I wouldn't like to spend a ridiculous amount. I'd be happy if I could keep it under £40. My current connection is 20mbps, I'll probably upgrade to 120mbps in 6 months or so if that matters.

So, powerline? Wireless N PCI/PCI-e/USB (lol) adapter? Wireless bridge? Some kind of other option?

Thanks for any suggestions.

More about : type connection gamer

November 1, 2012 2:24:17 PM

Most games don't use a lot of bandwidth so most any router will do. What you should be looking for is a router that has QoS (Quality of Service) so that you can do things like tell the router games should get a higher priority than bittorent so that your downloads don't bog down the connection and make online gaming useless.
m
l
November 1, 2012 5:13:19 PM

I already have a wireless router, I'm asking what is the best way to connect my desktop to it if it's on another floor. It needs to be some kind of wireless method or powerline. Just wondering which would be more reliable.
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2012 10:58:00 AM

I think wireless tends to work better than powerline, especially in homes that have older electrical wiring. I hear that powerline products are getting better, but I haven't tried any in years.
m
l
March 12, 2013 10:35:41 AM

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I completely forgot about this thread, the new look forums reminded me. I went with wireless N and it was awful so i ended up buying a massive cable and spent hours wiring it to the router upstairs. Its fine now :) 
m
l
March 12, 2013 11:20:20 AM

I prefer wired myself. Luckily my house is a ranch style so it's easy for me to run cabling.
m
l
!