New Build, anything I should do to prepare for future SSD

Cojakn

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Hi, I'd like to get some opinions on how I should install Win 7 Pro on my new build.

Here's the situation: This is my first fresh build but I have done upgrades in the past. Enough to say I'm a small step past a novice at this.

I have ordered all the parts for a new build. This PC is being built for any number of things, but I tried to build it for video editing with Power Director 10, lightweight gaming for my 11 yr old(Minecraft), a few older games for me (counter strike), and for future expand-ability if needed.

I'm tired of spending money for the moment and so I am going to start with what I have for now and only improve if it necessary.

You'll notice two obvious gaps in the build listed below. I haven't purchased a video card because I read some promising reviews on the Ivy bridge integrated graphics, especially for Power Director. My original plan was to get a GTX 560i. I'll wait to see if I need one.

My build has no SSD for now because some Power Director articles indicated a need for significant available Hard Drive space (100GB) for temporary files or whatever. which brings me to my questions.

Should I setup my 1TB hard drive in any special way?

Should I partition it for any reason?

What if I buy a SDD in the future, is there something I will wish I had done to make my life easier?

For reference, here's what I'll have:
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred
PSU: Antec HCG-620M
Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD65
Memory: G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
CPU: I7-3770k
DVD: This Lite-On 24 X iHAS424-98 DVD writer
Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Oh, any opinion on the push button overclock on this Mobo. Any reason that I should stay away from it?

Thanks for your help and for all the posts I've read over the last few weeks to build this in the first place.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
You can buy SSDs up to 256GB for a reasonable price, however you must have a small budget in mind going with MSI Z77. Go with 3TB or find a hybrid 2TB at least SATA-3 a must. Integrated graphics are NEVER better than the consumer gaming cards, I would never waste my money on nVidia, the lowest game performer, AMD or nothing. If you're serious about making it a professional video editing machine, get a professional card that is suggested by software makers not the gaming consumer cards. They might cost thousands and so will the monitor but it maybe needed for your video editing to go smoothly. I suggest streamlining your RAM also, for speed and stability. Make sure you have the power to run what you want to put in it. If dual video cards, get at least 750w-850w.