Using a wifi router and ethernet at the same time

Tuan1969

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Hello,
I get my internet from a cable modem thru Comcast. My house has a smart panel with 8 LAN ports, each going to the 8 rooms in my house. The cable modem links directly to an 8-port hub which allows 8 lines to feed each of the 8 ports in the house's smart panel... so every room has a live ethernet wall jack.

In room #1, I have a netgear wifi router connected to the wall jack. The router supplies the wifi network, and also has extra ethernet ports which I connect to my PC.

Everything works fine!!

Here's my problem. Let's say in room #2 I want to connect a laptop to the ethernet wall jack. I do that and the laptop recognizes an "unidentified" network... but does NOT see the Internet. I can't get the Internet!

But when I take the laptop to room #1 and connect it directly to the router via ethernet cable, the Internet is seen (easy plug-n-play)!

Why can't any of the wall jacks in the other 7 rooms connect to the internet???

I realize I can fix this by putting the router BETWEEN the cable modem and the house's smart panel... instead of its current location in room#1.

But why can't I place it there in room #1?? Even though the router is in room #1, shouldn’t all the other rooms have internet? Isn't the cable modem supplying "internet" to all the rooms??

THANKS in advance for the education!!

Tuan1969

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

Thank you so much!!!