mpx220 and pharos bluetooth gps

Last response: in Brands
October 26, 2004 8:58:34 AM

Hi,
I have the Motorola MPX220 and I am trying to connect it to pharos's
bluetooth GPS. No luck though.
Did anyone try this?
Any help will be apreciated.
Thanks
Tsoglan
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 2:50:56 PM

"Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<_Pkfd.6663$8W6.2853@trnddc05>...
> Hi,
> I have the Motorola MPX220 and I am trying to connect it to pharos's
> bluetooth GPS. No luck though.
> Did anyone try this?
> Any help will be apreciated.
> Thanks
> Tsoglan

Tsoglan, any luck with that...I was about to get one at CompUSA but
based on your findings maybe I should get a different brand.

Ed,
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 6:06:32 AM

Ed, No luck whatsoever. I've tried everything but I failed.
Plus the phone seems to "freeze" quite often. I would strongly recommend
another phone.
BIG disappointment!!!

"ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message
> "Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have the Motorola MPX220 and I am trying to connect it to pharos's
>> bluetooth GPS. No luck though.
>> Did anyone try this?
>> Any help will be apreciated.
>> Thanks
>> Tsoglan
>
> Tsoglan, any luck with that...I was about to get one at CompUSA but
> based on your findings maybe I should get a different brand.
>
> Ed,
November 3, 2004 11:07:15 AM

Actually I already got the phone, I set it up to work on T-Mobile and
luckily I have had pretty good luck with it. It has locked up but I
would say less than my T68 did. I also loaded Doom and some other 3rd
party stuff on the phone so that may not be helping me out 

Anyhow I may try another GPS receiver…if I decide to get the Pharos's
or another one I will let you know if it works…thanks for the
feedback.

Ed,

"Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<YWXhd.5039$RA4.1922@trnddc06>...
> Ed, No luck whatsoever. I've tried everything but I failed.
> Plus the phone seems to "freeze" quite often. I would strongly recommend
> another phone.
> BIG disappointment!!!
>

> "ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message
> > "Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >> I have the Motorola MPX220 and I am trying to connect it to pharos's
> >> bluetooth GPS. No luck though.
> >> Did anyone try this?
> >> Any help will be apreciated.
> >> Thanks
> >> Tsoglan
> >
> > Tsoglan, any luck with that...I was about to get one at CompUSA but
> > based on your findings maybe I should get a different brand.
> >
> > Ed,
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 9:26:42 AM

Ed,

I finally got it to work. The problem was the software that I was using
(mapopolis beta).
I installed pocket streets 2005 and it found the Pharos GPS in a couple of
seconds.

Too bad streets do not have turn by turn directions.
Hopefully mapopolis will fix the problem on their next release.
If you know any other software that gives you turn-by-turn directions let me
know.

Thanks
Tsoglan

> Actually I already got the phone, I set it up to work on T-Mobile and
> luckily I have had pretty good luck with it. It has locked up but I
> would say less than my T68 did. I also loaded Doom and some other 3rd
> party stuff on the phone so that may not be helping me out 
>
> Anyhow I may try another GPS receiver.if I decide to get the Pharos's
> or another one I will let you know if it works.thanks for the
> feedback.
>
> Ed,
>

> "Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ed, No luck whatsoever. I've tried everything but I failed.
>> Plus the phone seems to "freeze" quite often. I would strongly recommend
>> another phone.
>> BIG disappointment!!!
>>

>> "ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message
>> > "Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Tsoglan, any luck with that...I was about to get one at CompUSA but
>> > based on your findings maybe I should get a different brand.
>> >
>> > Ed,
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 9:42:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback, yes I would like it to do turn-by-turn
This guy seemed to have luck with the mapopolis with a Fortuna BT GPS
on a smartphone...maybe I will see if I can find a Fortuna reciever.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=OVaXc...

Ed,

"Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<C2Fid.2049$Uy5.1908@trnddc07>...
> Ed,
>
> I finally got it to work. The problem was the software that I was using
> (mapopolis beta).
> I installed pocket streets 2005 and it found the Pharos GPS in a couple of
> seconds.
>
> Too bad streets do not have turn by turn directions.
> Hopefully mapopolis will fix the problem on their next release.
> If you know any other software that gives you turn-by-turn directions let me
> know.
>
> Thanks
> Tsoglan
>

> "ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message
> > Actually I already got the phone, I set it up to work on T-Mobile and
> > luckily I have had pretty good luck with it. It has locked up but I
> > would say less than my T68 did. I also loaded Doom and some other 3rd
> > party stuff on the phone so that may not be helping me out 
> >
> > Anyhow I may try another GPS receiver.if I decide to get the Pharos's
> > or another one I will let you know if it works.thanks for the
> > feedback.
> >
> > Ed,
> >

> > "Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Ed, No luck whatsoever. I've tried everything but I failed.
> >> Plus the phone seems to "freeze" quite often. I would strongly recommend
> >> another phone.
> >> BIG disappointment!!!
> >>

> >> "ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
November 6, 2004 6:00:13 AM

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 06:26:42 GMT, "Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com>
said in alt.cellular.motorola:

>Too bad streets do not have turn by turn directions.
>Hopefully mapopolis will fix the problem on their next release.
>If you know any other software that gives you turn-by-turn directions let me
>know.

Navman, but it only works with their hardware, and it's only for PDAs.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 8:54:09 AM

If it helps here is the info I got back from Mapopolis support.

I wrote:
Will you support Bluetooth Pharos GPS in the future?
Phone MPX220
Pharos Bluetooth GPS
Thanks, Ed,

Response was:

Hi, Ed,

It's not the GPS - it's the phone. However, I did
ask a while back in the forums at
smartphone.modaco.com, and I got this response:

"I don't believe you can set the ports from within the
phone at all. All you need to do is set the com ports
on your PC and Activesync BEFORE you pair it with the
phone. It seems to automatically use the open ports.
The phone is also fairly picky about having the com
ports set up before it is paired with the PC. I've
had no luck getting it to work if I set up the ports
after."

So, that seems to indicate that you need to get
a BT card for your PC or laptop, set it for ActiveSync
over BT, and then connect the GPS. It should be seen
on COM PORT 7.

Ed, I'm sorry, but that's the only information I have
so far on this new phone.

Thank you for your interest in Mapopolis.

Lamar @ Mapopolis support

"Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<C2Fid.2049$Uy5.1908@trnddc07>...
> Ed,
>
> I finally got it to work. The problem was the software that I was using
> (mapopolis beta).
> I installed pocket streets 2005 and it found the Pharos GPS in a couple of
> seconds.
>
> Too bad streets do not have turn by turn directions.
> Hopefully mapopolis will fix the problem on their next release.
> If you know any other software that gives you turn-by-turn directions let me
> know.
>
> Thanks
> Tsoglan
>

> "ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message
> > Actually I already got the phone, I set it up to work on T-Mobile and
> > luckily I have had pretty good luck with it. It has locked up but I
> > would say less than my T68 did. I also loaded Doom and some other 3rd
> > party stuff on the phone so that may not be helping me out 
> >
> > Anyhow I may try another GPS receiver.if I decide to get the Pharos's
> > or another one I will let you know if it works.thanks for the
> > feedback.
> >
> > Ed,
> >

> > "Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Ed, No luck whatsoever. I've tried everything but I failed.
> >> Plus the phone seems to "freeze" quite often. I would strongly recommend
> >> another phone.
> >> BIG disappointment!!!
> >>

> >> "ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 12:32:29 PM

Tsoglan,

Have you got the pharos bluetooth gps to work with a laptop and the PC
version of Microsoft Streets & Trips?

I got it to pair just fine...but it can not find the COM Port that the
Pharos uses. Works fine from the MPX220 but not from the laptop.

I use a WIDCOMM Bluetooth driver on a TDK Bluetooth card

Ed,

"Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<C2Fid.2049$Uy5.1908@trnddc07>...
> Ed,
>
> I finally got it to work. The problem was the software that I was using
> (mapopolis beta).
> I installed pocket streets 2005 and it found the Pharos GPS in a couple of
> seconds.
>
> Too bad streets do not have turn by turn directions.
> Hopefully mapopolis will fix the problem on their next release.
> If you know any other software that gives you turn-by-turn directions let me
> know.
>
> Thanks
> Tsoglan
>

> "ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message
> > Actually I already got the phone, I set it up to work on T-Mobile and
> > luckily I have had pretty good luck with it. It has locked up but I
> > would say less than my T68 did. I also loaded Doom and some other 3rd
> > party stuff on the phone so that may not be helping me out 
> >
> > Anyhow I may try another GPS receiver.if I decide to get the Pharos's
> > or another one I will let you know if it works.thanks for the
> > feedback.
> >
> > Ed,
> >

> > "Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Ed, No luck whatsoever. I've tried everything but I failed.
> >> Plus the phone seems to "freeze" quite often. I would strongly recommend
> >> another phone.
> >> BIG disappointment!!!
> >>

> >> "ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 4:27:45 PM

Check this one out...it has been tested with the MPX220 and should be
released in the next couple months. Turn-By-Turn etc

This is the itialian version...look at the
http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/recensioni/software/desti...

There is a US version too
Here is the site
http://www.destinator1.com/

"Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<C2Fid.2049$Uy5.1908@trnddc07>...
> Ed,
>
> I finally got it to work. The problem was the software that I was using
> (mapopolis beta).
> I installed pocket streets 2005 and it found the Pharos GPS in a couple of
> seconds.
>
> Too bad streets do not have turn by turn directions.
> Hopefully mapopolis will fix the problem on their next release.
> If you know any other software that gives you turn-by-turn directions let me
> know.
>
> Thanks
> Tsoglan
>

> "ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message
> > Actually I already got the phone, I set it up to work on T-Mobile and
> > luckily I have had pretty good luck with it. It has locked up but I
> > would say less than my T68 did. I also loaded Doom and some other 3rd
> > party stuff on the phone so that may not be helping me out 
> >
> > Anyhow I may try another GPS receiver.if I decide to get the Pharos's
> > or another one I will let you know if it works.thanks for the
> > feedback.
> >
> > Ed,
> >

> > "Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Ed, No luck whatsoever. I've tried everything but I failed.
> >> Plus the phone seems to "freeze" quite often. I would strongly recommend
> >> another phone.
> >> BIG disappointment!!!
> >>

> >> "ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 12:54:22 AM

ED,

The pharos GPS works with my laptop and the PC version of Streets and Trips.
I used a Kensington Bluetooth USB adapter (Model number: 33085) and the
software that come with it.

My laptop is using COM6 for connecting to pharos GPS with no problems

Tsoglan

> Tsoglan,
>
> Have you got the pharos bluetooth gps to work with a laptop and the PC
> version of Microsoft Streets & Trips?
>
> I got it to pair just fine...but it can not find the COM Port that the
> Pharos uses. Works fine from the MPX220 but not from the laptop.
>
> I use a WIDCOMM Bluetooth driver on a TDK Bluetooth card
>
> Ed,
>

> "Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ed,
>>
>> I finally got it to work. The problem was the software that I was using
>> (mapopolis beta).
>> I installed pocket streets 2005 and it found the Pharos GPS in a couple
>> of
>> seconds.
>>
>> Too bad streets do not have turn by turn directions.
>> Hopefully mapopolis will fix the problem on their next release.
>> If you know any other software that gives you turn-by-turn directions let
>> me
>> know.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tsoglan
>>

>> "ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message
>> > Actually I already got the phone, I set it up to work on T-Mobile and
>> > luckily I have had pretty good luck with it. It has locked up but I
>> > would say less than my T68 did. I also loaded Doom and some other 3rd
>> > party stuff on the phone so that may not be helping me out 
>> >
>> > Anyhow I may try another GPS receiver.if I decide to get the Pharos's
>> > or another one I will let you know if it works.thanks for the
>> > feedback.
>> >
>> > Ed,
>> >

>> > "Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 1:03:15 AM

Ed,

I was able to make mapopolis work with the Pharos GPS and the MPX 220. The
fix was to play with the mpx220 registry.
I found the answer in another newsgroup:
http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?...

You can download a RegEdit tool from
http://www.phm.lu/Products/Smartphone/RegEdit/

Here is the fix I did (quoted from the post above):
1. go to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ControlPanel/Bluetooth and change the two
values to '1'.
2. Then do a repair with the GPS unit (first delete it, then search, and
then pair).
3. Use COM6 port in mapopolis and connect.

Hope it helps
Tsoglan

> Check this one out...it has been tested with the MPX220 and should be
> released in the next couple months. Turn-By-Turn etc
>
> This is the itialian version...look at the
> http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/recensioni/software/desti...
>
> There is a US version too
> Here is the site
> http://www.destinator1.com/
>

> "Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ed,
>>
>> I finally got it to work. The problem was the software that I was using
>> (mapopolis beta).
>> I installed pocket streets 2005 and it found the Pharos GPS in a couple
>> of
>> seconds.
>>
>> Too bad streets do not have turn by turn directions.
>> Hopefully mapopolis will fix the problem on their next release.
>> If you know any other software that gives you turn-by-turn directions let
>> me
>> know.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tsoglan
>>

>> "ECVerify.com" <google@gencode.com> wrote in message
>> > Actually I already got the phone, I set it up to work on T-Mobile and
>> > luckily I have had pretty good luck with it. It has locked up but I
>> > would say less than my T68 did. I also loaded Doom and some other 3rd
>> > party stuff on the phone so that may not be helping me out 
>> >
>> > Anyhow I may try another GPS receiver.if I decide to get the Pharos's
>> > or another one I will let you know if it works.thanks for the
>> > feedback.
>> >
>> > Ed,
>> >

>> > "Tsoglan Boy" <tsoglanb@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
December 1, 2004 4:45:36 PM

Tsoglan,

I did what you said and yep, sure enough it now works, Wahoooo!!!!!
Well it seemes "sometimes" I have to "redo" the steps, not always but
sometimes, I even shutdown both the GPS and the phone and did not have
to redo the steps, but then later that day I did it again and I had to
this time. Odd, but it does work. Thanks.

Did you ever get the Pharos BT GPS to work with Microsoft Streets and
Trips (PC Version), I can not get S&T to see the virtual COM port
(Port 5 on my PC).

Ed,

!