Sign in with
Your question

Static IP for home office can I use wireless?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 19, 2012 12:47:59 AM

I currently have a work computer which was set up by the IT department from a company I do consulting for. They send me work over a fixed IP that I have (I have 5 fixed IPs). The fixed IP for this workstation goes from the modem to a Cisco 8100 ethernet router to the PC. I am told (by the company IT) I cannot use this fixed IP address for anything else and the connection has to be on at all times. I recently relocated the computer to an area of my apartment that does not have easy wired access to the modem. So, I'd like to set something up that would go from cable modem to Cisco 8100 to a ?wireless access point? then connect a wireless adapter to the workstation. (note the cisco 8100 is a model without wireless connection).

When I connect to the work site it is via VPN which I assume is set up through the Cisco router.

So, I am assuming that my PC has to have the same IP address as the fixed IP address that my work expects the computer to be at. Or is this not true and can a router be used and forward all ports? In essence I would like to replace either the ethernet cord from the cisco box to the PC or from the cable modem to the Cisco box, whichever is doable.

My personal internet traffic is via one of the other fixed IPs I have and I have a wireless router connected to that. I am expecting that I will have to have a second wireless router for the work IP.

I'm sorry this is probably confusing post but I'm having difficulty figuring this out with my meager knowledge in networking. My next step is asking the company IT person, but I'm afraid he will say it is not possible outright without working with me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kevin
September 20, 2012 1:41:35 PM

Not sure what a 8100 is are you sure you did not mean 1800.

A wireless AP connected to the router and using your wireless adapter in the PC should work as you describe. Just be sure if you use a wireless router you force it to ONLY be a AP. Since the AP does not care about IP addresses it will not interfere.

Just be sure you use WPA2 for the wireless connection. It is very likely what they have done is build a VPN tunnel with the router and the network behind the cisco is your corporate network. If you left this open other people could gain access or possibly intercept traffic going to your company network.

Now if your IT is paranoid like me and have used something like 802.1x to prevent you from putting things between the PC and the router you are going to have to try the other option you propose.

You could use the powerline things as suggested above or you could use wireless bridge devices. Since it is between the modem and the router it will work even if they restrict it....and they won't care since the corporate network is in the VPN at this point.

I would try you first option using a router that can act as a bridge or a AP then you will not be out the money if you need go the second way. Besides most companies have not gotten to the point mine has about user networks in their house.
m
l
!