When to add Heat Covers?

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
At what point should I add heat covers on my memory sticks?

Currently running PC2100 CL2 at 266 on Gigabyte GA-8IEXP with P4 1.8a. I am planning to upgrade to at least a P4 2.4 533 or higher.

Thanks for you comments.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
At what point should I add heat covers on my memory sticks?
At the point where you don't want your customers to see that your DDR400 sticks are in actuality just overclocked DDR333 sticks. Heh heh heh.

Okay, seriously ... if the memory needs a heat cover it'll probably already have it. If your memory doesn't have one, you'll only need one if you overclock your memory. So if you OC your memory and your system gets to be unstable, then try reducing their heat problems. :)

Currently running PC2100 CL2 at 266 on Gigabyte GA-8IEXP with P4 1.8a. I am planning to upgrade to at least a P4 2.4 533 or higher.
Are you <i>really</i> going to upgrade to a 2.4b? Or are you just going to overclock your 1.8a to a 2.4b by changing the FSB from 100MHz to 133MHz?

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Good question, why would you want to drop $200 for a 2.4 when your 1.8A will go 2.4 at the same bus speed?

Anyway, you can run PC2100 with the 2.4 "533" or the overclocked 1.8A at 2.4/533. You just run it at a 1:1 ratio with the bus speed. You won't get the best possible performance because DDR only has half the bandwidth per clock cycle as the current P4.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

You don't need, as you say, heat covers on your memory sticks, unless you're going to overclock your system, and really only if you're seriously overclocking, just doing an upgrade to a faster processor doesn't require memory cooling. Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
>> Are you really going to upgrade to a 2.4b? Or are you just going to overclock your 1.8a to a 2.4b by changing the FSB from 100MHz to 133MHz? <<

Actually, I'm preparing to build another system having learned from the experience of building this one. I may additionally purchase a 2.4/533 for the existing system. I beiieve I have found a place to sell my 1.8a for very little loss $$.

I tried to oc my system by increasing the FSB to 110 which worked full load for a few hours but then the screen went blank. After I powered it off and turned it back on a minute later, all was well for a few hours.. As far as I can tell, it was not a temperature problem.
Sissoft Sandra said some of my memory was not the same tech spec as the best of the three. I removed the poorer two and have replaced of them. I have a 256 and a 128 stick of matched memory chips. Add Single sided DDR PC2100.
I intend to be more particular on the next system.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JEFF68005 on 10/12/02 08:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>