HELP using Harman/Kardon CDR 20 CD burner

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
October 7, 2004 9:20:05 PM

Ok, So Im a newbee to these units.
I HOPE someone has one and can help.

Im trying to record from a tape deck.

I come out of the deck (out/play) and into the CDR In.
then on deck 2 of the cd unit I choose analog.
I put a blank cd in.
Ok, so then I hit play on the tape deck and get nothing. the audio is
coming out of the deck because I bypassed the rca cables past the cd.
I hit record on the cd and it says NO AUDIO.

Any idea whats wrong? I cant be hooking somthing up wrong, can I???

PLEASE let me know if someone can help.

Thank you again group.
October 8, 2004 10:16:32 AM

vsnsound@aol.com (Jay) wrote in message news:<94c5d9af.0410071620.6c16fd89@posting.google.com>...
> Ok, So Im a newbee to these units.
> I HOPE someone has one and can help.
>
> Im trying to record from a tape deck.
>
> I come out of the deck (out/play) and into the CDR In.
> then on deck 2 of the cd unit I choose analog.
> I put a blank cd in.
> Ok, so then I hit play on the tape deck and get nothing. the audio is
> coming out of the deck because I bypassed the rca cables past the cd.
> I hit record on the cd and it says NO AUDIO.
>
> Any idea whats wrong? I cant be hooking somthing up wrong, can I???
>
> PLEASE let me know if someone can help.
>
> Thank you again group.

Is your blank disc a DATA CD-R or a MUSIC CD-R.

The CD recorder might be complaining becuase consumer CD recorders require
MUSIC CD-Rs thanks to the RIAA.

Mark
October 19, 2004 10:03:24 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Im using Imation CD-R.
It says on it Compact Disk Recordable on it. They arent generic or cheep disks.

PLEASE let me know what anyone thinks.
Jay

> > Ok, So Im a newbee to these units.
> > I HOPE someone has one and can help.
> >
> > Im trying to record from a tape deck.
> >
> > I come out of the deck (out/play) and into the CDR In.
> > then on deck 2 of the cd unit I choose analog.
> > I put a blank cd in.
> > Ok, so then I hit play on the tape deck and get nothing. the audio is
> > coming out of the deck because I bypassed the rca cables past the cd.
> > I hit record on the cd and it says NO AUDIO.
> >
> > Any idea whats wrong? I cant be hooking somthing up wrong, can I???
> >
> > PLEASE let me know if someone can help.
> >
> > Thank you again group.
>

> Is your blank disc a DATA CD-R or a MUSIC CD-R.
>
> The CD recorder might be complaining becuase consumer CD recorders require
> MUSIC CD-Rs thanks to the RIAA.
>
> Mark
October 20, 2004 2:49:13 PM

In article <94c5d9af.0410191703.742bfdfb@posting.google.com> vsnsound@aol.com writes:

> Im using Imation CD-R.
> It says on it Compact Disk Recordable on it. They arent generic or cheep
> disks.

If your recorder is one that requires audio blanks (and I suspect that
it is) the standard computer store blanks won't work. The audio blanks
have a pre-recorded track that the recorder looks for. However I would
expect that it wouldn't let you get far enough to try, but would
simply tell you that it wasn't a recordable blank and spit it out.
Does the manual say anything about this?

There are only a few companies that actually make recordable CD blanks
(and I-Mation isn't one of them). All the name brands buy blanks from
one of the few makers, and, given where they're sold and for what
application, they buy from the cheapest source, and may very well
change sources every few months to get the best price. So what appears
to be the same make and type of blank that you buy today that you
bought a few months ago (and which worked) may not work now.

You really just have to experiment, buy from a local dealer, and not
be afraid to return the package of blanks if you try a few and they
don't work. I've never had a problem returning an opened pack of CD-Rs
to Best Buy or Micro Center. Comp USA is a bit fussier about returns
so I don't buy anything there that I expect that I might not want to
keep.

It might be worth calling a real media supplier, telling them what
machine you have, and ask them if they know what blanks work well in
it. They may be willing to send you a couple of samples. Don't be
afraid to ask. Media Supply and Cassette House (the obvious web sites)
are friendly folks who sell enough product to have a good sense of
what works, or is likely to work, with what.

October 20, 2004 7:02:40 PM

Jay wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Im using Imation CD-R.
> It says on it Compact Disk Recordable on it. They arent generic or cheep disks.

But does it say Audio anywhere? - if not then you'll need to buy some
Audio CD-R's.

Imation don't make their own CD's either - they just rebrand other
people's and they don't always use the best discs.

Cheers.

James.
!