Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy Review

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"NL" wrote in

> I think this is the first full review by a major games website..
>
> Eurogamer: "For Kristan, it's Fahrenaway the best adventure game
> of modern times. "
>
> http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60494

An interesting read.

Rikard

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

NL typed:
> I think this is the first full review by a major games
> website..
>
> Eurogamer: "For Kristan, it's Fahrenaway the best
> adventure game of modern times. "
>
> http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60494

An Xbox review. I'm curious, for people that have played
the PC demo: how differently does it play on the PC? (with
keyboard and mouse, as opposed to gamepad - is it better
to control than what the reviewer indicates?)

In any case, I'm intrigued. ;)

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{

"mec-devil" <delusions@fools.paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> NL typed:
>> I think this is the first full review by a major games
>> website.. Eurogamer: "For Kristan, it's Fahrenaway the best
>> adventure game of modern times. "
>>
>> http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60494
>
> An Xbox review. I'm curious, for people that have played
> the PC demo: how differently does it play on the PC? (with
> keyboard and mouse, as opposed to gamepad - is it better
> to control than what the reviewer indicates?)
>
> In any case, I'm intrigued. ;)
>
> --
> };> Matt v3.2 <.{

Must admit I didn't actually read the review properly in fear of spoilers,
so don't know about the controller issue.

Having both an Xbox and a PC, I am too weighing which version to purchase
(big vs. small screen, low vs. high resolution, gamepad vs. mouse etc.).
___
NL

noman

mec-devil wrote:
> NL typed:
>

>> http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60494
>

> An Xbox review. I'm curious, for people that have played
> the PC demo: how differently does it play on the PC? (with
> keyboard and mouse, as opposed to gamepad - is it better
> to control than what the reviewer indicates?)

I played the demo with both mouse/keyboard and gamepad. Found
it better with gamepad (one with two analog sticks).

Basically, all the context-based actions (like looking in mirror,
picking an object, looking through window etc) are performed
by moving the right analog stick of a gamepad or by moving a
mouse with the right button pressed. In the demo, the movements
are pretty simple (left, right, up, down and single strokes)
but the actual game may have patterns like 'Z' or 'N'. Occassionally
a pattern may have to be performed more than once and that
adds puzzle solving right into the interface, because the
game only prompts you with a pattern, not with how many times
it needs to be done (although, for these particular game-world
actions, having to do multiple tries make sense)

Also, some actions need to be performed by pressing left and right
arrow keys repeatedly. That works very well on gamepad, as those
keys are assigned to shoulder buttons.

Looks like a pretty polished adventure game with a very unusual
interface. I recommend trying the demo first, before getting the
game. I'll definitely buy it.

By the way, a gamepad with dual analog sticks can be found in US
for $20 at most stores. Games like Grim Fandango, Broken Sword 3
and Escape from Monkey Island, play a lot better on gamepads.

My 2¢
--
Noman