Sign in with
Your question

Intel SSD and windows 7 install from boot disk problem

Last response: in Windows 7
February 13, 2010 6:17:48 AM

Alright I've been having this problem with my SSD. I want to use it as only my operating system HDD. So I try and install Windows 7 x64 on it. And Im not getting any HDD to show up when I'm attempting the install. I've been having this problem ever since I got it. WIndows installed just fine on my 1 TB HDD, but wont even give me an option to install on the SDD. I dont have the HDD connected when I attempt to install the SDD. When I'm in windows 7 from the HDD i can plug in my SSD and it recognizes it at this stage, but not when I'm trying to install windows on it.

This is my first system build, so I'm trying to get in as much education on this experience as I can. My system is as follows, just in case it matters:

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel Core i7-920
SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770
Intel X25-V SSDSA2MP040G2R5 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive
G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB)
Samsung 1TB HDD

So I dont know if I'm missing something, or need something for the Boot disk to recognize the SSD, my bios is completely updated so I dont know what else to do. Is there a workaround? The SSD has more than enough room to use windows 7 Pro, which uses what like 15 GB, so it shouldn't be a problem in that respect.

Thanks in advance
February 13, 2010 8:08:18 AM

The only checks I can think of:

Check BIOS settings for the SATA interface and change from AHCI to back IDE compatible and see if this makes any difference

If you have already IDE compatible enabled in your BIOS:
Check with your motherboard manual (at least this was the case with the with the motherboard I have) if there is a recommendation to use certain SATA connectors on your motherboard for OS disks - as they are set to "master" and should have a different colour.

Hope this will help.
m
l
February 13, 2010 3:57:59 PM

Whats the difference between IDE and AHCI?
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2010 8:45:36 AM

AHCI (copied from Wikipedia as it saves me a lot of typing):

------------------------------------------------------
The Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an application programming interface defined by Intel which defines the operation of Serial ATA host bus adapters in a non-implementation-specific manner. The specification describes a system memory structure for computer hardware vendors to exchange data between host system memory and attached storage devices. As of June 2008, the current version of the specification is v. 1.3.[1] AHCI gives software developers and hardware designers a standard method for detecting, configuring, and programming SATA/AHCI adapters. AHCI is separate from the SATA 3Gb/s standard, although it exposes SATA's advanced capabilities (such as hot-plugging and native command queuing) such that host systems can utilize them.

Many SATA controllers offer selectable modes of operation: legacy Parallel ATA emulation, standard AHCI mode, or vendor-specific RAID. Intel recommends choosing RAID mode on their motherboards (which also enables AHCI) rather than the plain AHCI/SATA mode for maximum flexibility, due to the issues caused when the mode is switched once an operating system has already been installed.[2] Legacy mode is a software backward-compatibility mechanism intended to allow the SATA controller to run in legacy operating systems which are not SATA-aware or where a driver does not exist to make the operating systems SATA-aware.
---------------------------------------------------------

basically if you have a modern hard drive enabling AHCI might give you some minor performance benefits due to the support of native command queuing.
you should be able to switch between the modes without any problems by changing your BIOS settings, the only issue to keep in mind is -if you have installed Windows 7 with IDE compatible enabled in your BIOS (or legacy ATA emulation or whatever your BIOS calls it)- that you need to get some Windows 7 settings changed beforehand; otherwise Windows 7 will not boot (as it will not have the required drivers ready to support AHCI)
See link below how to do this if required:

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows...

...but I think this goes a bit of topic in regards to the problem you currently having.

m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
March 19, 2010 1:21:21 PM

Here's the way I installed Windows 7 x64 using AHCI.

I powered the system on and went into System Setup and then enabled AHCI.

I exited System Setup and let the Windows 7 x64 install disk boot up.

The setup installed Windows 7 and it booted and runs OK. No problems.
m
l
!