Status
Not open for further replies.

gmc

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I have heard that spending time in an anechoic chamber can be a very
disorientating experience - tales of people only being able to spend
eg 10 mins in that environment before having to get out & reorientate
themselves.

Experiences?

gmc <gmc@intlog.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I have heard that spending time in an anechoic chamber can be a very
>disorientating experience - tales of people only being able to spend
>eg 10 mins in that environment before having to get out & reorientate
>themselves.

Yes, it's very weird. I think being able to spend only ten minutes there
seems a bit exaggerated, but it is a bit disconcerting. It helps if you
try to imagine you're outdoors...
--scott

gmc wrote:
> I have heard that spending time in an anechoic chamber can be a very
> disorientating experience - tales of people only being able to spend
> eg 10 mins in that environment before having to get out & reorientate
> themselves.

I haven't tried this myself (but I would like to), but F.Alton Everest
reports in his book "Master Handbook of Acoustics" (Fourth Edition) in
chapter 3 in the section entitled "Sensitivity of the Ear" the following...

"The delicate and sensitive nature of our hearing can be
underscored dramatically by a little experiment. A bulky
door of an anechoic chamber is slowly opened, revealing
extremely thick walls, and three-foot wedges of glass fibre,
points inward, lining all walls, ceiling, and what could be
called the floor, except that you walk on an open steel
grillwork.
"A chair is brought in, and you sit down. This experiment
takes time, and as a result of your prior briefing, you
lean back, patiently counting the glass fibre wedges to pass
the time. It is very eerie in here. The sea of sound and
noise of life and activity in which we are normally
immersed and of which we are ordinarily scarcely conscious
is now conspicuous by its absence.
"The silence presses down on you in the tomblike room; 10
minutes, then half an hour pass. New sounds are discovered,
sounds that come from within your own body. First, the loud
pounding of your own heart, still recovering from the novelty
of the situation. An hour goes by. The blood coursing
through the vessels becomes audible. At last, if your ears
are keen, your patience is rewarded by a strange hissing
sound between the "ker-bumps" of your heart and the slushing
of blood. What is it? It is the sound of air molecules
pounding against your eardrums. The eardrum motion resulting
from that hissing sound is unbelievably small – only 1/100th
of a millionth of a centimetre – or 1/10th the diameter of a
hydrogen molecule!"

I'm not entirely sure that single oxygen or nitrogen molecules have
enough momentum to stimulate the mechanical apparatus of the middle ear.
Nonetheless, I would like to hear this effect for myself. Personally,
I think the observed phenomenon is more likely to be some sort of neural
background noise similar to amplifier hiss.

Anyway, you'll have to spend a good deal more than 10 minutes in an
anechoic chamber to observe this.

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
but the words of the wise are quiet and few.

"gmc" <gmc@intlog.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> I have heard that spending time in an anechoic chamber can be a very
> disorientating experience - tales of people only being able to spend
> eg 10 mins in that environment before having to get out & reorientate
> themselves.

> Experiences?

IME it is a kind of sonic vertigo - the listener is deprived of many cues
and clues that he ordinarly receives in perfusion.

Personally, I'm not that strongly affected.

There's probably some kind of a learning curve where newbies take a bigger
hit than people who do it a lot.

>"gmc" <gmc@intlog.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> I have heard that spending time in an anechoic chamber can be a very
>> disorientating experience - tales of people only being able to spend
>> eg 10 mins in that environment before having to get out & reorientate
>> themselves.
>
>> Experiences?
>
>IME it is a kind of sonic vertigo - the listener is deprived of many cues
>and clues that he ordinarly receives in perfusion.
>
>Personally, I'm not that strongly affected.
>
>There's probably some kind of a learning curve where newbies take a bigger
>hit than people who do it a lot.

Why would a person spend a lot of time in an anechoic chamber??

ItsTooLoud <itstooloud@aol.com> wrote:

>Why would a person spend a lot of time in an anechoic chamber??

Well, for a year or so I had my desk in a Faraday cage because they
were short on office space... I am sure they put someone in the anechoic
chamber too. Grad students are expendable, though.
--scott

"ItsTooLoud" <itstooloud@aol.com> wrote in message
>> "gmc" <gmc@intlog.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>> I have heard that spending time in an anechoic chamber can be a very
>>> disorientating experience - tales of people only being able to spend
>>> eg 10 mins in that environment before having to get out &
>>> reorientate themselves.
>>
>>> Experiences?
>>
>> IME it is a kind of sonic vertigo - the listener is deprived of many
>> cues and clues that he ordinarly receives in perfusion.
>>
>> Personally, I'm not that strongly affected.
>>
>> There's probably some kind of a learning curve where newbies take a
>> bigger hit than people who do it a lot.
>
> Why would a person spend a lot of time in an anechoic chamber??

The usual reason is that they are testing equipment in an anechoic chamber
because that's the right way to run the test.

>"ItsTooLoud" <itstooloud@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> "gmc" <gmc@intlog.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> IME it is a kind of sonic vertigo - the listener is deprived of many
>>> cues and clues that he ordinarly receives in perfusion.
>>>
>>> Personally, I'm not that strongly affected.
>>>
>>> There's probably some kind of a learning curve where newbies take a
>>> bigger hit than people who do it a lot.
>>
>> Why would a person spend a lot of time in an anechoic chamber??
>
>The usual reason is that they are testing equipment in an anechoic chamber
>because that's the right way to run the test.

Obviously the person would be in and out for testing, but that wouldn't be 10
minutes or more in silence. If they stayed in, I would assume there to be a
loud enough source to mask their own bodily sounds. It was just one of those
rhetorical questions... why would anyone repeatedly sit in an empty room??

>> "ItsTooLoud" <itstooloud@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> Why would a person spend a lot of time in an anechoic chamber??
>>
>> The usual reason is that they are testing equipment in an anechoic
>> chamber because that's the right way to run the test.
>
> Obviously the person would be in and out for testing, but that
> wouldn't be 10 minutes or more in silence.

What's so obvious? Often, the anechoic chamber is not chosen because it
creates total silence, it is chosen because its a place where noisy
equipment can be operated without causing other problems.

OTOH, if you want the quietest possible place to test equipment, you chase
the people out. But, what if it takes 8 hours of work to set up the test? Do
people work in 10 minute shifts? Why? Trust me, 10 minutes or 3 hours in a
totally quiet room does not make most people go crazy.

> If they stayed in, I
> would assume there to be a loud enough source to mask their own
> bodily sounds.

I know that it really doesn't matter to people who are acclimatized to
working in such a place.

>It was just one of those rhetorical questions... why would anyone
>repeatedly sit in an empty room??

Same reason people work in a sewage plant or a fine restaurant or at a rock
concert. Because they've got a job to do.

In article <20041008102437.22466.00000442@mb-m06.aol.com> itstooloud@aol.com writes:

> Why would a person spend a lot of time in an anechoic chamber??

To get away from annoying noise sources such as Phil Allison.

ItsTooLoud wrote:

> It was just one of those
> rhetorical questions... why would anyone repeatedly sit in an empty room??

Because it's very quiet in there and one may get to hear things one has
never before heard. In other words, it's not too loud.

--
ha

"gmc" <gmc@intlog.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> I have heard that spending time in an anechoic chamber can be a very
> disorientating experience - tales of people only being able to spend
> eg 10 mins in that environment before having to get out & reorientate
> themselves.
>
> Experiences?

Most people find it a bit strange at first I think, but you soon get used to
it. I know I did anyway.

TonyP.

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 02:36:10 GMT, gmc@intlog.demon.co.uk (gmc) wrote:

>I have heard that spending time in an anechoic chamber can be a very
>disorientating experience - tales of people only being able to spend
>eg 10 mins in that environment before having to get out & reorientate
>themselves.
>
>Experiences?

In college, my small Microwave Communications class (around twelve
students) visited the Owens Corning R&D facility. I can't for the life
of me remember why. Anyways, part of the field trip consisted of a
period of time in their chamber. (About 20 minutes, as I recall.) I
remember it being near disorienting, and generally just strange.

However, that being said, I also remember being told by the Prof that
it would be an odd experience and so forth, days before the trip. I
think that this type of 'suggestion' actually subconsciously makes
your mind search for, and exaggerate the weirdness. I'm pretty sure
that if you were in there and performing specific tasks, rather than
checking out how odd it is, your attentions would be paid to the tasks
at hand rather than the unfamiliar ambience (or lack thereof.)

====================
Tracy Wintermute
arrgh@greenapple.com
Rushcreek Ranch
====================

gmc

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

On 8 Oct 2004 08:27:40 -0400, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>gmc <gmc@intlog.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>I have heard that spending time in an anechoic chamber can be a very
>>disorientating experience - tales of people only being able to spend
>>eg 10 mins in that environment before having to get out & reorientate
>>themselves.
>
>Yes, it's very weird. I think being able to spend only ten minutes there
>seems a bit exaggerated, but it is a bit disconcerting. It helps if you
>try to imagine you're outdoors...

Yeah, 10 mins is perhaps an underestimate on my part - my pal who was
involved in the supervision of the construction of an anechoic chamber
told me that he tried sitting in it "for a while"..

He said it freaked him - he *had* to get out...

I'd imagine that one's perception of time might be warped in such an
environment - guess all your time-clues have gone - ??

OK, up the ante :) - what about:

In the chamber, blindfolded & free-floating naked in a
blood-temperature saline bath?

"ItsTooLoud" <itstooloud@aol.com> wrote in message
> >"ItsTooLoud" <itstooloud@aol.com> wrote in message

> >> Why would a person spend a lot of time in an anechoic chamber??
> >
> >The usual reason is that they are testing equipment in an anechoic
chamber
> >because that's the right way to run the test.
>
> Obviously the person would be in and out for testing, but that wouldn't be
10
> minutes or more in silence. If they stayed in, I would assume there to be
> loud enough source to mask their own bodily sounds. It was just one of
those
> rhetorical questions... why would anyone repeatedly sit in an empty room??

Weren't anechoic chambers used to torture prisoners?

Predrag

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message news:znr1097255204k@trad...

> In article <20041008102437.22466.00000442@mb-m06.aol.com> itstooloud@aol.com writes:
>
> > Why would a person spend a lot of time in an anechoic chamber??
>
> To get away from annoying noise sources such as Phil Allison.

....Or the sound of WD-40 being sprayed.

Nevermind....

Bryson

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2004

gmc wrote:
> On 8 Oct 2004 08:27:40 -0400, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>>gmc <gmc@intlog.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>I have heard that spending time in an anechoic chamber can be a very
>>>disorientating experience - tales of people only being able to spend
>>>eg 10 mins in that environment before having to get out & reorientate
>>>themselves.
>>
>>Yes, it's very weird. I think being able to spend only ten minutes there
>>seems a bit exaggerated, but it is a bit disconcerting. It helps if you
>>try to imagine you're outdoors...
>

> Yeah, 10 mins is perhaps an underestimate on my part - my pal who was
> involved in the supervision of the construction of an anechoic chamber
> told me that he tried sitting in it "for a while"..
>
> He said it freaked him - he *had* to get out...
>
> I'd imagine that one's perception of time might be warped in such an
> environment - guess all your time-clues have gone - ??
>
> OK, up the ante :) - what about:
>
> In the chamber, blindfolded & free-floating naked in a
> blood-temperature saline bath?

With whomever I choose?

"gmc"

> I have heard that spending time in an anechoic chamber can be a very
> disorientating experience - tales of people only being able to spend
> eg 10 mins in that environment before having to get out & reorientate
> themselves.

** Although an anechoic chamber would likely be an extremely quiet place
there is no need for a room to be anechoic in order to be dead silent. Thick
walls with no windows and air tight double doors will block out all sounds.

I suspect that the lack of anything resembling smooth walls nor any
identifiable ceiling or floor to be found in an anechoic chamber would be
VERY disorienting from the purely visual aspect.

If the lack of sound was an significant for people working in one then a
little Musak piped in would soon fix that !

.............. Phil

Phil Allison wrote:

> little Musak piped in would soon fix that !

How could you possibly suggest such a thing? That's unmercifully cruel.

itstooloud@aol.com (ItsTooLoud) writes:

>Obviously the person would be in and out for testing, but that wouldn't be 10
>minutes or more in silence. If they stayed in, I would assume there to be a
>loud enough source to mask their own bodily sounds. It was just one of those
>rhetorical questions... why would anyone repeatedly sit in an empty room??

I take it you never go to the bathroom by yourself. :cool:

The *real* answer to the question is that we can't afford to
hire anyone to sit with me.

I've spent a *lot* of time in these sorts of rooms, setting up
tests. And I'm not the least bit crazy, ask anybody. :cool: Even
showing the quiet room off to management is likely to take more
than 10 minutes.

We once had a visiting repairman who wandered into the quiet
room (it was quiet, but not quite anechoic) out of curiosity.
He didn't like it. He had claustrophobia, even though the room
was 22 x 27 x 17 ft. It reminded him of a painful childhood
experience of being locked in a coat closet.

It's a bit creepy, but you get over it, and it's not as bad as
sitting through meetings.

--
J. Porter Clark <jpc@suespammers.org>

> >> The usual reason is that they are testing equipment in an anechoic
> >> chamber because that's the right way to run the test.
>
> > Obviously the person would be in and out for testing, but that
> > wouldn't be 10 minutes or more in silence.
>
> OTOH, if you want the quietest possible place to test equipment, you chase
> the people out. But, what if it takes 8 hours of work to set up the test?
Do
> people work in 10 minute shifts? Why? Trust me, 10 minutes or 3 hours in
> totally quiet room does not make most people go crazy.

From experience I can say that working in an anechoic chamber all day is no
problem. The simple reason is that the door will be open most of the time
while you are setting up, even if it's closed you are making your own noise
while working. You will be OUTSIDE the chamber while making measurements in
nearly all cases.
However every person who has never been in one always sits in it quietly for
10 minutes, just for the experience.

> > If they stayed in, I
> > would assume there to be a loud enough source to mask their own
> > bodily sounds.
> I know that it really doesn't matter to people who are acclimatized to
> working in such a place.

Agreed.

TonyP.

gmc

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 06:33:50 GMT, Bryson
<redbugg@mindNOSPAMspring.com> wrote:
>gmc wrote:

>>>Yes, it's very weird. I think being able to spend only ten minutes there
>>>seems a bit exaggerated, but it is a bit disconcerting. It helps if you
>>>try to imagine you're outdoors...
>>

>> Yeah, 10 mins is perhaps an underestimate on my part - my pal who was
>> involved in the supervision of the construction of an anechoic chamber
>> told me that he tried sitting in it "for a while"..
>>
>> He said it freaked him - he *had* to get out...
>>
>> I'd imagine that one's perception of time might be warped in such an
>> environment - guess all your time-clues have gone - ??
>>
>> OK, up the ante :) - what about:
>>
>> In the chamber, blindfolded & free-floating naked in a
>> blood-temperature saline bath?
>
>With whomever I choose?

Yup - you'll just have to make do with your remaining senses ;-)

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:37:53 -0000, jpc@suespammers.org (J. Porter
Clark) wrote:

>We once had a visiting repairman who wandered into the quiet
>room (it was quiet, but not quite anechoic) out of curiosity.
>He didn't like it. He had claustrophobia, even though the room
>was 22 x 27 x 17 ft. It reminded him of a painful childhood
>experience of being locked in a coat closet.

Bless! Did he claim compensation?

Laurence Payne <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

>On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 15:37:53 -0000, jpc@suespammers.org (J. Porter
>Clark) wrote:

>>We once had a visiting repairman who wandered into the quiet
>>room (it was quiet, but not quite anechoic) out of curiosity.
>>He didn't like it. He had claustrophobia, even though the room
>>was 22 x 27 x 17 ft. It reminded him of a painful childhood
>>experience of being locked in a coat closet.

>Bless! Did he claim compensation?

No, but he did finish the job in a hurry. So I guess it was a
good thing. :cool:

--
J. Porter Clark <jpc@suespammers.org>

mark

S O'Neill <nopsam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:<JYWdnfulFfUev_XcRVn-iA@omsoft.com>...
> Phil Allison wrote:
>

> > little Musak piped in would soon fix that !
>

> How could you possibly suggest such a thing? That's unmercifully cruel.

It's not so much the silence as the almost total lack of reverberation
that makes it so strange.

Mark