Sign in with
Your question

Add router to existing wireless network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 19, 2012 10:09:24 AM

Hello,
I moved into an apartment complex that has wireless already set up, but it is sooooo slow! I heard that if I connect with my own router then the speed will be faster. How do I configure my router for that? I have a netgear WGR614v.10 and am using a macbook pro. Thanks!
September 19, 2012 12:44:07 PM

Your internet is delivered to your apartment via wireless...or they provide a wireless router in your apartment.

If the second maybe it will help some of the older router run kinda slow.

If it is the first case then having your own router will not help, its not a magic box that somehow can get better wireless signal than your PC.

The only way you are going to make it run faster is to increase you signal strength and that normally means putting something like a wireless bridge outside where it can get better signal and run a cable into the apartment. The apartment may not allow this.
Now if you get strong signal already and it is still slow then go tell all your neighbors to stop hogging the connection :) 
September 19, 2012 1:18:41 PM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

bill001g is right but there are some points to raise. Your own wireless router might be able to pick up a signal from down below and pass it on to your computer a little more strongly if you set it up as an access point or repeater. It's also worth checking with neighbours to ask which channel's their computers are set to receive on or get in direct contact with the basement router and check which one it broadcasts on.

Sadly, though, the overstretched bandwidth you're all trying to share is probably the main reason.

!