Problem with running Pandora Directive

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and mouse
problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the game is
supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I couldn't get it
to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect will accept Sbpro, Sb
1.0. I thought the game would run OK, because the setup test for sound
and music worked fine, but the sound in the intro breaks up and the
characters move too slow. After the intro and into the game itself, the
sound is not as broken up, but still not right either. Also, when I push
the mouse in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its either too fast
or too slow. Not sure which. I am using Win 98SE but tried the game in
Win 2K and had the same problem, though I am not familiar with running
DOS games in Win 2K. My video and sound drivers are up to date. I
thought I read that someone here was having problems running Pandora
Directive a while back, but maybe it involved Win XP. I checked google
but couldn't find anything. Anybody had the same problem or have
suggestions?

Mary
113 answers Last reply
More about problem running pandora directive
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:55:22 -0400, "Mary" <notme@notin.com> wrote:

    >I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and mouse
    >problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the game is
    >supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I couldn't get it
    >to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect will accept Sbpro, Sb
    >1.0.

    That's okay. DOSBox sound emulation is up to Sound Blaster Pro levels.

    >I thought the game would run OK, because the setup test for sound
    >and music worked fine, but the sound in the intro breaks up and the
    >characters move too slow. After the intro and into the game itself, the
    >sound is not as broken up, but still not right either. Also, when I push
    >the mouse in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its either too fast
    >or too slow.

    Try hitting Ctrl-F12 and Ctrl-F11 a few times. This changes the CPU
    cycles devoted to the DOSBox application. You'll have to find the
    sweet spot by trying. While doing that, stay in the windowed mode, so
    you can see the CPU cycles in the title bar. Once you determine a
    suitable number (where the sound doesn't break and the game-speed
    feels right), you can either add it to the DOSBox config file (so as
    to set it by default) or you can quickly set it through Ctrl-F12 and
    Ctrl-F11 combo for subsequent sessions.

    Good luck.
    --
    Noman
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Hi Noman,

    Do you think my CPU cycles are too fast or too slow for Dosbox?
    I have an Asus A7V8X-X with AMD Athlon 2200 XP CPU.
    I will try your suggestion and see if it works.Thanks.

    Mary

    "noman" <no_m_an@zzzyahoo.yycom> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:55:22 -0400, "Mary" <notme@notin.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and
    mouse
    > >problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the game is
    > >supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I couldn't get
    it
    > >to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect will accept Sbpro, Sb
    > >1.0.
    >
    > That's okay. DOSBox sound emulation is up to Sound Blaster Pro levels.
    >
    > >I thought the game would run OK, because the setup test for sound
    > >and music worked fine, but the sound in the intro breaks up and the
    > >characters move too slow. After the intro and into the game itself,
    the
    > >sound is not as broken up, but still not right either. Also, when I
    push
    > >the mouse in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its either too
    fast
    > >or too slow.
    >
    > Try hitting Ctrl-F12 and Ctrl-F11 a few times. This changes the CPU
    > cycles devoted to the DOSBox application. You'll have to find the
    > sweet spot by trying. While doing that, stay in the windowed mode, so
    > you can see the CPU cycles in the title bar. Once you determine a
    > suitable number (where the sound doesn't break and the game-speed
    > feels right), you can either add it to the DOSBox config file (so as
    > to set it by default) or you can quickly set it through Ctrl-F12 and
    > Ctrl-F11 combo for subsequent sessions.
    >
    > Good luck.
    > --
    > Noman
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote in

    > I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and
    > mouse problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the
    > game is supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I
    > couldn't get it to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect
    > will accept Sbpro, Sb 1.0. I thought the game would run OK,
    > because the setup test for sound and music worked fine, but the
    > sound in the intro breaks up and the characters move too slow.
    > After the intro and into the game itself, the sound is not as
    > broken up, but still not right either. Also, when I push the mouse
    > in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its either too fast or
    > too slow. Not sure which. I am using Win 98SE but tried the game
    > in Win 2K and had the same problem, though I am not familiar with
    > running DOS games in Win 2K. My video and sound drivers are up to
    > date. I thought I read that someone here was having problems
    > running Pandora Directive a while back, but maybe it involved Win
    > XP. I checked google but couldn't find anything. Anybody had the
    > same problem or have suggestions?
    >
    > Mary

    I don't think it is a sound problem. It sounds like your computer is
    simply too slow to run the game well in DosBox. I'll let someone more
    experienced with DosBox suggest things to try in order to tweak DosBox.

    Instead I'll simply suggest that you try the game outside DosBox. It
    runs fine for me in Windows XP. No special tricks was required besides
    VDMSound (which was only needed since DOS programs don't get sound in
    XP without it).

    Rikard
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Rikard Peterson" <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

    > Mary wrote in
    >
    > > I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and
    > > mouse problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the
    > > game is supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I
    > > couldn't get it to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect
    > > will accept Sbpro, Sb 1.0. I thought the game would run OK,
    > > because the setup test for sound and music worked fine, but the
    > > sound in the intro breaks up and the characters move too slow.
    > > After the intro and into the game itself, the sound is not as
    > > broken up, but still not right either. Also, when I push the mouse
    > > in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its either too fast or
    > > too slow. Not sure which. I am using Win 98SE but tried the game
    > > in Win 2K and had the same problem, though I am not familiar with
    > > running DOS games in Win 2K. My video and sound drivers are up to
    > > date. I thought I read that someone here was having problems
    > > running Pandora Directive a while back, but maybe it involved Win
    > > XP. I checked google but couldn't find anything. Anybody had the
    > > same problem or have suggestions?
    > >
    > > Mary
    >
    > I don't think it is a sound problem. It sounds like your computer is
    > simply too slow to run the game well in DosBox. I'll let someone more
    > experienced with DosBox suggest things to try in order to tweak
    DosBox.

    Do you think an Asus A7V8X-X with AMD Athlon 2200 XP is too slow to run
    this game.?Or do you mean that Winn 98SE is too slow? The game was made
    for a 486.

    > Instead I'll simply suggest that you try the game outside DosBox. It
    > runs fine for me in Windows XP. No special tricks was required besides
    > VDMSound (which was only needed since DOS programs don't get sound in
    > XP without it).

    I only have a partition with Win2K on it. I don't have Win XP. I tried
    VDmsound in Win2K but had the same sound problems. Or maybe VDm sound
    doesn't work with Win 2k.

    Mary
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:
    > I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and mouse
    > problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the game is
    > supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I couldn't get it
    > to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect will accept Sbpro, Sb
    > 1.0. I thought the game would run OK, because the setup test for sound
    > and music worked fine, but the sound in the intro breaks up and the
    > characters move too slow. After the intro and into the game itself, the
    > sound is not as broken up, but still not right either. Also, when I push
    > the mouse in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its either too fast
    > or too slow. Not sure which. I am using Win 98SE but tried the game in
    > Win 2K and had the same problem, though I am not familiar with running
    > DOS games in Win 2K. My video and sound drivers are up to date. I
    > thought I read that someone here was having problems running Pandora
    > Directive a while back, but maybe it involved Win XP. I checked google
    > but couldn't find anything. Anybody had the same problem or have
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Mary

    You should get much better response with DOSBOX if you edit the config
    file so that cycles=16000, or faster if need be. SB1.0 seems to work
    well for digital sound.

    However, Pandora should run in a DOS Window in Win98SE with no problems.
    Just make sure you have installed the SBLive SB16 emulation, and select
    SB16 in the game.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Robert Gault" <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Mary wrote:
    > > I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and
    mouse
    > > problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the game is
    > > supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I couldn't
    get it
    > > to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect will accept Sbpro,
    Sb
    > > 1.0. I thought the game would run OK, because the setup test for
    sound
    > > and music worked fine, but the sound in the intro breaks up and the
    > > characters move too slow. After the intro and into the game itself,
    the
    > > sound is not as broken up, but still not right either. Also, when I
    push
    > > the mouse in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its either too
    fast
    > > or too slow. Not sure which. I am using Win 98SE but tried the game
    in
    > > Win 2K and had the same problem, though I am not familiar with
    running
    > > DOS games in Win 2K. My video and sound drivers are up to date. I
    > > thought I read that someone here was having problems running Pandora
    > > Directive a while back, but maybe it involved Win XP. I checked
    google
    > > but couldn't find anything. Anybody had the same problem or have
    > > suggestions?
    > >
    > > Mary
    > >

    > You should get much better response with DOSBOX if you edit the config
    > file so that cycles=16000, or faster if need be. SB1.0 seems to work
    > well for digital sound.

    Hi Robert, I will try 16000. I tried up to 8000 and it was the same. I
    wasn't sure how high I should go. SBpro , Sb 1.0 seem to both work for
    sound and music. How is it the test for the game for sound and music
    work properly, but in the game they don't?

    > However, Pandora should run in a DOS Window in Win98SE with no
    problems.
    > Just make sure you have installed the SBLive SB16 emulation, and
    select
    > SB16 in the game.

    DOS games won't work with my motherboard in Dos in Win 98SE, because my
    board does not have NMI (Non-maskable interrupt) which is needed to run
    DOS games.. Jenny was the first person who mentioned this to me a while
    back- a few months after I got my motherboard, and she was right. Its
    not something I would even have thought about when buying a motherboard.
    But some newer boards don't have it. Maybe some of the cheaper ones,
    though there were lots of boards around the same price as mine. But lots
    more money too :) There are not too many people who play DOS games, so I
    guess Asus didn't bother to put NMI on it.

    I have always had SBlive SB16 enabled, even though I couldn't use it :)
    BTW, I got an old DOS game working with Dosbox - The Serrated Scalpel.
    I've never been able to get it to work with my present computer, because
    of not having NMI. The game is pretty old now, but its very good and so
    far, works fine. It even has speech at the intro and text for the rest
    of the game, which is what its supposed to do.

    Mary
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Robert Gault wrote:
    > Mary wrote:
    >
    >> I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and mouse
    >> problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the game is
    >> supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I couldn't get it
    >> to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect will accept Sbpro, Sb
    >> 1.0. I thought the game would run OK, because the setup test for sound
    >> and music worked fine, but the sound in the intro breaks up and the
    >> characters move too slow. After the intro and into the game itself, the
    >> sound is not as broken up, but still not right either. Also, when I push
    >> the mouse in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its either too fast
    >> or too slow. Not sure which. I am using Win 98SE but tried the game in
    >> Win 2K and had the same problem, though I am not familiar with running
    >> DOS games in Win 2K. My video and sound drivers are up to date. I
    >> thought I read that someone here was having problems running Pandora
    >> Directive a while back, but maybe it involved Win XP. I checked google
    >> but couldn't find anything. Anybody had the same problem or have
    >> suggestions?
    >>
    >> Mary
    >>

    > You should get much better response with DOSBOX if you edit the config
    > file so that cycles=16000, or faster if need be. SB1.0 seems to work
    > well for digital sound.
    >
    > However, Pandora should run in a DOS Window in Win98SE with no problems.
    > Just make sure you have installed the SBLive SB16 emulation, and select
    > SB16 in the game.

    Within the game go to Aux Panel/Config/Preferences and you can set the
    mouse sensitivity and "walking" speed.

    I just tested the game on a Win98SE system with an Audigy2 card. The
    Audigy2 does not have as good SB16 emulation as the SBLive and setting
    the game to SB16 gave a sound stutter but SB1.0 and SBPro worked well.

    Using the normal Start/Programs/Pandora/Pandora.exe automatically runs
    the game in a full screen DOS Window. There were no problems for me and
    this should be preferred over DOSBOX unless you just refuse to install
    your SB16 emulation for the SBLive card.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Robert Gault wrote:
    > > Mary wrote:
    > >
    > >> I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and
    mouse
    > >> problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the game is
    > >> supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I couldn't
    get it
    > >> to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect will accept Sbpro,
    Sb
    > >> 1.0. I thought the game would run OK, because the setup test for
    sound
    > >> and music worked fine, but the sound in the intro breaks up and the
    > >> characters move too slow. After the intro and into the game itself,
    the
    > >> sound is not as broken up, but still not right either. Also, when I
    push
    > >> the mouse in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its either too
    fast
    > >> or too slow. Not sure which. I am using Win 98SE but tried the game
    in
    > >> Win 2K and had the same problem, though I am not familiar with
    running
    > >> DOS games in Win 2K. My video and sound drivers are up to date. I
    > >> thought I read that someone here was having problems running
    Pandora
    > >> Directive a while back, but maybe it involved Win XP. I checked
    google
    > >> but couldn't find anything. Anybody had the same problem or have
    > >> suggestions?
    > >>
    > >> Mary
    > >>

    > > You should get much better response with DOSBOX if you edit the
    config
    > > file so that cycles=16000, or faster if need be. SB1.0 seems to work
    > > well for digital sound.

    Haven't tried that yet because I developed an unrelated problem after
    trying different cycle amounts, but probably nothing to do with that. My
    keyboard won't do an ":" in Dosbox. I went to dosbox to change the
    config to change something at the part at the bottom where you can add
    "Mount f: f:\ -t cdrom -aspi" or whatever, and where you put the colon
    after the f or whatever letter it is, it will only show a semi-colon.
    Never had this problem before.I checked in dosbox readme and one of the
    FAQ's said you might have trouble typing a colon in dosbox if you have a
    non US keyboard. I live in Canada, but the stores in Toronto at least,
    only sell
    ordinary 101/102 US keyboards (made in China -heh). I re-installed
    Dosbox again and its the same, so I can't mount any of the drives in
    Dosbox, so can't use it at all. So for now, I have to try to fix the
    colon problem.

    > > However, Pandora should run in a DOS Window in Win98SE with no
    problems.
    > > Just make sure you have installed the SBLive SB16 emulation, and
    select
    > > SB16 in the game.
    >
    > Within the game go to Aux Panel/Config/Preferences and you can set the
    > mouse sensitivity and "walking" speed.

    > I just tested the game on a Win98SE system with an Audigy2 card. The
    > Audigy2 does not have as good SB16 emulation as the SBLive and setting
    > the game to SB16 gave a sound stutter but SB1.0 and SBPro worked well.

    The game won't run on my computer because of the motherboard limitation
    as I mentioned in my previous message. So whether I try to run the game
    in windows setup or Dos, wouldn't matter. It will only run in dosbox, if
    I can get it to.

    > Using the normal Start/Programs/Pandora/Pandora.exe automatically runs
    > the game in a full screen DOS Window.

    >There were no problems for me and
    > this should be preferred over DOSBOX unless you just refuse to install
    > your SB16 emulation for the SBLive card.

    I always had it installed, though it won't work with my board for an y
    DOS games because of
    motherboard limitation.
    Well, I have to see if I can get the colon working in dosbox before I
    can do any more. It worked fine before and I made a lot of changes in
    the dosbox config when playing Goblins and I am now finished Goblins and
    everything worked fine.

    Mary
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:
    ><snip>
    >
    > DOS games won't work with my motherboard in Dos in Win 98SE, because my
    > board does not have NMI (Non-maskable interrupt) which is needed to run
    > DOS games.. Jenny was the first person who mentioned this to me a while
    > back- a few months after I got my motherboard, and she was right. Its
    > not something I would even have thought about when buying a motherboard.
    > But some newer boards don't have it. Maybe some of the cheaper ones,
    > though there were lots of boards around the same price as mine. But lots
    > more money too :) There are not too many people who play DOS games, so I
    > guess Asus didn't bother to put NMI on it.
    >
    > I have always had SBlive SB16 enabled, even though I couldn't use it :)
    > BTW, I got an old DOS game working with Dosbox - The Serrated Scalpel.
    > I've never been able to get it to work with my present computer, because
    > of not having NMI. The game is pretty old now, but its very good and so
    > far, works fine. It even has speech at the intro and text for the rest
    > of the game, which is what its supposed to do.
    >
    > Mary

    Mary,

    Don't confuse using your computer in DOS mode with running in a DOS
    Window. The SBLive SB16 emulator driver is a Windows package not DOS.
    Most old games (and Pandora is an example) will be happy with the SB16
    emulation under Windows. You just need to try it. DOSBOX should be a
    last resort when all other more normal methods don't work.

    If your SB16 emulation shows up in System/Device Manager as properly
    functioning, Pandora should detect it.

    By the way, just what make and model is your motherboard?
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Mary wrote:
    > ><snip>
    > >
    > > DOS games won't work with my motherboard in Dos in Win 98SE, because
    my
    > > board does not have NMI (Non-maskable interrupt) which is needed to
    run
    > > DOS games.. Jenny was the first person who mentioned this to me a
    while
    > > back- a few months after I got my motherboard, and she was right.
    Its
    > > not something I would even have thought about when buying a
    motherboard.
    > > But some newer boards don't have it. Maybe some of the cheaper ones,
    > > though there were lots of boards around the same price as mine. But
    lots
    > > more money too :) There are not too many people who play DOS games,
    so I
    > > guess Asus didn't bother to put NMI on it.
    > >
    > > I have always had SBlive SB16 enabled, even though I couldn't use it
    :)
    > > BTW, I got an old DOS game working with Dosbox - The Serrated
    Scalpel.
    > > I've never been able to get it to work with my present computer,
    because
    > > of not having NMI. The game is pretty old now, but its very good and
    so
    > > far, works fine. It even has speech at the intro and text for the
    rest
    > > of the game, which is what its supposed to do.
    > >
    > > Mary
    > >

    > Mary,
    >
    > Don't confuse using your computer in DOS mode with running in a DOS
    > Window.

    "Real" Dos mode is Start/exit to msdos. and dos window is MS dos prompt
    in Windows directory, right?

    > The SBLive SB16 emulator driver is a Windows package not DOS.

    Doesn't Windows use the sb16 emulator for dos games only? Wouldn't
    windows use the "regular" sblive drivers not sb16 emulator.?

    > Most old games (and Pandora is an example) will be happy with the SB16
    > emulation under Windows. You just need to try it. DOSBOX should be a
    > last resort when all other more normal methods don't work.

    I first installed Pandora by trying setup.exe on the CD and when I did
    that, no sound cards were recognized or auto detected in the setup
    screen tester in Pandora after the game was installed. When I installed
    the game in
    dosbox, at least the sb 1.0 and sbpro showed up on auto detect, though I
    have the sound problem and slow running game.

    > If your SB16 emulation shows up in System/Device Manager as properly
    > functioning, Pandora should detect it.

    It shows up in Device Manager and shows up on the screen when booting
    up.

    > By the way, just what make and model is your motherboard?

    Asus A7V8X-X

    Mary
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:
    ><snip>
    > Haven't tried that yet because I developed an unrelated problem after
    > trying different cycle amounts, but probably nothing to do with that. My
    > keyboard won't do an ":" in Dosbox. I went to dosbox to change the
    > config to change something at the part at the bottom where you can add
    > "Mount f: f:\ -t cdrom -aspi" or whatever, and where you put the colon
    > after the f or whatever letter it is, it will only show a semi-colon.
    > Never had this problem before.I checked in dosbox readme and one of the
    > FAQ's said you might have trouble typing a colon in dosbox if you have a
    > non US keyboard. I live in Canada, but the stores in Toronto at least,
    > only sell
    > ordinary 101/102 US keyboards (made in China -heh). I re-installed
    > Dosbox again and its the same, so I can't mount any of the drives in
    > Dosbox, so can't use it at all. So for now, I have to try to fix the
    > colon problem.
    >
    ><snip>

    Don't try to edit the DOSBOX.conf file from within DOSBOX. You should
    have direct access to the config file either from the Start menu or via
    Windows Explorer. You will certainly be able to enter the : via Windows
    programs.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Mary wrote:
    > ><snip>
    > > Haven't tried that yet because I developed an unrelated problem
    after
    > > trying different cycle amounts, but probably nothing to do with
    that. My
    > > keyboard won't do an ":" in Dosbox. I went to dosbox to change the
    > > config to change something at the part at the bottom where you can
    add
    > > "Mount f: f:\ -t cdrom -aspi" or whatever, and where you put the
    colon
    > > after the f or whatever letter it is, it will only show a
    semi-colon.
    > > Never had this problem before.I checked in dosbox readme and one of
    the
    > > FAQ's said you might have trouble typing a colon in dosbox if you
    have a
    > > non US keyboard. I live in Canada, but the stores in Toronto at
    least,
    > > only sell
    > > ordinary 101/102 US keyboards (made in China -heh). I re-installed
    > > Dosbox again and its the same, so I can't mount any of the drives in
    > > Dosbox, so can't use it at all. So for now, I have to try to fix the
    > > colon problem.
    > >
    > ><snip>
    >
    > Don't try to edit the DOSBOX.conf file from within DOSBOX. You should
    > have direct access to the config file either from the Start menu or
    via
    > Windows Explorer. You will certainly be able to enter the : via
    Windows
    > programs.

    I only used windows explorer when I wanted to change include certain
    things in the disbox config file for the startup items.
    But for temporary editing to see how things would work out, I always did
    it from within dosbox screen and it always worked fine till tonight.
    When I was playing Goblins, I only mounted the c: drive in dosbox config
    at first, and added the "mount f: f:\ -t cdrom" every time I went into
    dosbox screen before playing the game, just to test it without having to
    change the config file and it always worked fine. At first, I intended
    to play two dos games, so I added one at a time in dosbox screen, then
    put the commands for the game in dosbox screen. I never put the game
    commands in config file till I was sure thats what I wanted. If you are
    playing more than one dos games, you would have to change the config
    file all the time.
    But yes, the colon will work in windows explorer, but you should be also
    able to add things in the dosbox screen at the bottom. Thats what the
    instructions tell you in dosbox screen.

    Mary
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:

    ><snip>
    > "Real" Dos mode is Start/exit to msdos. and dos window is MS dos prompt
    > in Windows directory, right?

    Yes.

    >>The SBLive SB16 emulator driver is a Windows package not DOS.
    >

    > Doesn't Windows use the sb16 emulator for dos games only? Wouldn't
    > windows use the "regular" sblive drivers not sb16 emulator.?

    That is not the way to look at what happens. Regardless whether a game
    runs in DOS or Windows, it either looks for an SB16 or does not. SB16
    Windows emulation just fools games into thinking that the SB16 is present.

    Modern games don't look for audio cards directly but either MS or
    DirectX code that will eventually vector to the audio card drivers.

    >>Most old games (and Pandora is an example) will be happy with the SB16
    >>emulation under Windows. You just need to try it. DOSBOX should be a
    >>last resort when all other more normal methods don't work.
    >

    > I first installed Pandora by trying setup.exe on the CD and when I did
    > that, no sound cards were recognized or auto detected in the setup
    > screen tester in Pandora after the game was installed.

    That is strange given that we use the same motherboard.

    > When I installed
    > the game in
    > dosbox, at least the sb 1.0 and sbpro showed up on auto detect, though I
    > have the sound problem and slow running game.
    >

    >>If your SB16 emulation shows up in System/Device Manager as properly
    >>functioning, Pandora should detect it.
    >

    > It shows up in Device Manager and shows up on the screen when booting
    > up.
    >

    >>By the way, just what make and model is your motherboard?
    >

    > Asus A7V8X-X
    >
    > Mary

    I'm using the exact same motherboard. If necessary I could run a test
    with an SBLive card but I don't see that as necessary as I can run
    Pandora with an Audigy2 card and SB16 emulation. As I said earlier, SB16
    emulation is better with an SBLive than the Audigy2.

    Regardless of what Jenny said about an NMI, there is something else
    wrong with your setup that is preventing old games like Pandora from
    running correctly.

    What do you see on screen if you start a DOS Window and type Set
    [Enter]? You should see something like
    BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T4
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Mary wrote:
    >
    > ><snip>
    > > "Real" Dos mode is Start/exit to msdos. and dos window is MS dos
    prompt
    > > in Windows directory, right?
    > >

    > Yes.

    Well, thats what I figured, but just confirming.

    > >>The SBLive SB16 emulator driver is a Windows package not DOS.
    > >

    > > Doesn't Windows use the sb16 emulator for dos games only? Wouldn't
    > > windows use the "regular" sblive drivers not sb16 emulator.?
    > >

    > That is not the way to look at what happens. Regardless whether a game
    > runs in DOS or Windows, it either looks for an SB16 or does not. SB16
    > Windows emulation just fools games into thinking that the SB16 is
    present.

    > Modern games don't look for audio cards directly but either MS or
    > DirectX code that will eventually vector to the audio card drivers.
    >

    > >>Most old games (and Pandora is an example) will be happy with the
    SB16
    > >>emulation under Windows. You just need to try it. DOSBOX should be a
    > >>last resort when all other more normal methods don't work.
    > >

    > > I first installed Pandora by trying setup.exe on the CD and when I
    did
    > > that, no sound cards were recognized or auto detected in the setup
    > > screen tester in Pandora after the game was installed.
    >
    > That is strange given that we use the same motherboard.

    Well, thats good we have the same motherboard. easier for us to compare.
    I tried installing Pandora using Setup.exe again, but as I said, I tried
    sb 1.0, sbpro and sb16, in the Pandora game setup menu when setting up
    the game, and whatever sound card I clicked on, it said "not detected".

    > >>By the way, just what make and model is your motherboard?
    > >

    > > Asus A7V8X-X
    > >
    > > Mary
    > >

    > I'm using the exact same motherboard. If necessary I could run a test
    > with an SBLive card but I don't see that as necessary as I can run
    > Pandora with an Audigy2 card and SB16 emulation. As I said earlier,
    SB16
    > emulation is better with an SBLive than the Audigy2.

    If you're using the exact same board as me, thats good, we can compare.
    For testing and comparing purposes, if you have a Sblive card, it
    would be good if you tried to play Pandora Directive with it so see if
    you can
    get it to run via DOS. There could be differences between Sblive and
    Audigy
    and how they interact with some motherboards. From what I recall, the
    NMI thing
    was a problem with our board and sblive. Thats why you should install a
    sblive, then see
    if you can run Pandora Directive and I would be surprised if you can.

    > Regardless of what Jenny said about an NMI, there is something else
    > wrong with your setup that is preventing old games like Pandora from
    > running correctly.

    I checked about NMI with others at the time and they said it if it
    wasn't on your motherboard, you will not be able to play DOS only games.
    I also did some research myself. It was quite a while ago so I forget
    the details. I would have to look into it again. I tried other DOS
    games before and none of them would work since I got my new motherboard
    which was almost two years ago now. I couldn't get Goblins or Serrated
    Scalpel, both DOS games, till I got them to run in dosbox.

    > What do you see on screen if you start a DOS Window and type Set
    > [Enter]? You should see something like
    > BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T4

    BLASTER-A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6

    (I seem to have T6 and the other difference is I am using I7). I can't
    remember what T6 means.

    Mary
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:
    ><snip>
    >>What do you see on screen if you start a DOS Window and type Set
    >>[Enter]? You should see something like
    >>BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T4
    >

    > BLASTER-A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
    >
    > (I seem to have T6 and the other difference is I am using I7). I can't
    > remember what T6 means.
    >
    > Mary

    T6 is correct I entered 4 as a typo.

    I have to admit I was wrong in assuming the SBLive card would work as
    well as the Audigy2 on the A7V8X-X board; it doesn't. I am unable to get
    Pandora or The Case of the Rose Tattoo to work directly from Windows
    with the SBLive.

    Pandora does run nicely from DOSBOX with the SBLive when cycles is set
    as needed.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Mary wrote:
    > ><snip>
    > >>What do you see on screen if you start a DOS Window and type Set
    > >>[Enter]? You should see something like
    > >>BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T4
    > >

    > > BLASTER-A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
    > >
    > > (I seem to have T6 and the other difference is I am using I7). I
    can't
    > > remember what T6 means.
    > >
    > > Mary
    > >

    > T6 is correct I entered 4 as a typo.
    >
    > I have to admit I was wrong in assuming the SBLive card would work as
    > well as the Audigy2 on the A7V8X-X board; it doesn't. I am unable to
    get
    > Pandora or The Case of the Rose Tattoo to work directly from Windows
    > with the SBLive.

    Now he tells me :) - I just did about a half hours research finding
    information on our motherboard regarding lack of NMI support when using
    sblive to try to convince you that me and Jenny were right :).I went
    through all this when I first got the board and Jenny researched to help
    me..

    > Pandora does run nicely from DOSBOX with the SBLive when cycles is set
    > as needed.

    I've been so busy thinking about NMI, how many cycles should I try? Of
    course that depends on what speed CPU you have? What make and speed do
    you have? I might have to try different cycles.

    Mary
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Robert Gault" <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > I have to admit I was wrong in assuming the SBLive card would work as
    > well as the Audigy2 on the A7V8X-X board; it doesn't. I am unable to
    get
    > Pandora or The Case of the Rose Tattoo to work directly from Windows
    > with the SBLive.

    See. told ya :) There must be something on the Audigy which allows it
    to overcome the NMI problem with the motherboard. Oh well, since you
    already tried it, you can ignore my message I sent not long ago asking
    you to install the sblive and Pandora. You have now confirmed what I
    thought which is - The Audigy doesn't have the same problem as the
    sblive with DOS games. So the Audigy is better in that way - at least
    for people who have a desire to play Dos games now and then. I will have
    to look at the asus site and see if it has any bios update where it
    added NMI support as one of the sites I referred you to said. My BIOS is
    up to date (or was not long ago) and I've never seen any updated Bios
    for NMI support. I think I looked before.

    >Pandora does run nicely from DOSBOX with the SBLive when cycles is set
    as needed.

    The amount of cycles is what I need to find out and I still need to find
    out about that colon :)
    I was able to get it before in dosbox which is my point. I don't like
    when I got things before, and suddenly can't get them. Thanks for your
    input.

    Mary
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:25:35 -0400, "Mary" <notme@notin.com> wrote:

    >Hi Noman,
    >
    >Do you think my CPU cycles are too fast or too slow for Dosbox?
    >I have an Asus A7V8X-X with AMD Athlon 2200 XP CPU.
    >I will try your suggestion and see if it works.Thanks.

    Each game can have its own comfort setting in DOSBox. So you'll
    have to experiment.

    Don't worry about the interrupts. If your sound card works in
    Windows applications, it should work through DOSBox, as it emulates
    all BIOS interrupt calls for screen graphics and sound.

    Your CPU is more than enough to run almost all DOS games in
    DOSBox, barring the game-compatibility (with DOSBox) factor.
    In general, it's better if you spend time on trying to get DOSBox
    working, rather than running games in DOS mode.
    --
    Noman
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:
    > "Robert Gault" <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mary wrote:
    >>
    >>><snip>

    >>>BLASTER-A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
    >>>
    >>>(I seem to have T6 and the other difference is I am using I7). I
    >
    > can't
    >
    >>>remember what T6 means.
    >>>
    >>>Mary
    >>>

    >>T6 is correct I entered 4 as a typo.
    >>
    >>I have to admit I was wrong in assuming the SBLive card would work as
    >>well as the Audigy2 on the A7V8X-X board; it doesn't. I am unable to
    >
    > get
    >
    >>Pandora or The Case of the Rose Tattoo to work directly from Windows
    >>with the SBLive.
    >

    > Now he tells me :) - I just did about a half hours research finding
    > information on our motherboard regarding lack of NMI support when using
    > sblive to try to convince you that me and Jenny were right :).I went
    > through all this when I first got the board and Jenny researched to help
    > me..
    >

    >>Pandora does run nicely from DOSBOX with the SBLive when cycles is set
    >>as needed.
    >

    > I've been so busy thinking about NMI, how many cycles should I try? Of
    > course that depends on what speed CPU you have? What make and speed do
    > you have? I might have to try different cycles.
    >
    > Mary

    I have and AMD Athlon XP2500+ and while the DOSBOX optimal cycle setting
    does vary depending on the game, Pandora seems good at 16000.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:

    > "Robert Gault" <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>I have to admit I was wrong in assuming the SBLive card would work as
    >>well as the Audigy2 on the A7V8X-X board; it doesn't. I am unable to
    >
    > get
    >
    >>Pandora or The Case of the Rose Tattoo to work directly from Windows
    >>with the SBLive.
    >

    > See. told ya :) There must be something on the Audigy which allows it
    > to overcome the NMI problem with the motherboard. Oh well, since you
    > already tried it, you can ignore my message I sent not long ago asking
    > you to install the sblive and Pandora. You have now confirmed what I
    > thought which is - The Audigy doesn't have the same problem as the
    > sblive with DOS games. So the Audigy is better in that way - at least
    > for people who have a desire to play Dos games now and then. I will have
    > to look at the asus site and see if it has any bios update where it
    > added NMI support as one of the sites I referred you to said. My BIOS is
    > up to date (or was not long ago) and I've never seen any updated Bios
    > for NMI support. I think I looked before.

    If you find out, please post the info!

    Let me make clear that the Audigy2 will not work for DOS games in DOS
    mode. The DOS drivers don't exist for this card. Audigy2 SB16 or SBPro
    emulation does work for DOS windows. While this is true and tested on my
    system, Creative does not support this and claims it can't be done. In
    fact there is a trick to get the SB16 emulation to work.

    There is a package that claims to permit the Audigy2 to work with the
    Audigy1 DOS drivers. But whether it will work with our Asus board is
    unknown.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Mary wrote:
    >
    > > "Robert Gault" <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > >>I have to admit I was wrong in assuming the SBLive card would work
    as
    > >>well as the Audigy2 on the A7V8X-X board; it doesn't. I am unable to
    > >
    > > get
    > >
    > >>Pandora or The Case of the Rose Tattoo to work directly from Windows
    > >>with the SBLive.
    > >

    > > See. told ya :) There must be something on the Audigy which allows
    it
    > > to overcome the NMI problem with the motherboard. Oh well, since you
    > > already tried it, you can ignore my message I sent not long ago
    asking
    > > you to install the sblive and Pandora. You have now confirmed what I
    > > thought which is - The Audigy doesn't have the same problem as the
    > > sblive with DOS games. So the Audigy is better in that way - at
    least
    > > for people who have a desire to play Dos games now and then. I will
    have
    > > to look at the asus site and see if it has any bios update where it
    > > added NMI support as one of the sites I referred you to said. My
    BIOS is
    > > up to date (or was not long ago) and I've never seen any updated
    Bios
    > > for NMI support. I think I looked before.
    > >

    > If you find out, please post the info!

    I'll check it later. It would be a lot easier if Asus did have a BIOS
    update to support NMI and I think they should have made one. Doesnt mean
    they did though.

    > Let me make clear that the Audigy2 will not work for DOS games in DOS
    > mode. The DOS drivers don't exist for this card.

    Well, whether in Windows or DOS , the Audigy seems to be able to play
    DOS games which is an advantage over the combination of our motherboard
    and Sblive which won't play DOS games via Windows or DOS at all.

    >Audigy2 SB16 or SBPro
    > emulation does work for DOS windows. While this is true and tested on
    my
    > system, Creative does not support this and claims it can't be done. In
    > fact there is a trick to get the SB16 emulation to work.

    What is Creative's reasoning that the Audigy2 Sb16 or Sbpro won't work
    in Dos windows? What is the trick to get the Sb16 to work? (I presume
    you are talking about getting the Audigy2 to work via Start/exit to
    msdos screen?
    BTW what is the difference between Audigy1 and Audigy2? I haven't paid
    much attention to those sound cards.

    > There is a package that claims to permit the Audigy2 to work with the
    > Audigy1 DOS drivers. But whether it will work with our Asus board is
    > unknown.

    Where is the package and who created it?

    Mary
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Mary wrote:
    > > "Robert Gault" <robert.gault@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    > > can't

    > >>T6 is correct I entered 4 as a typo.
    > >>
    > >>I have to admit I was wrong in assuming the SBLive card would work
    as
    > >>well as the Audigy2 on the A7V8X-X board; it doesn't. I am unable to
    > >
    > > get
    > >
    > >>Pandora or The Case of the Rose Tattoo to work directly from Windows
    > >>with the SBLive.
    > >

    > > Now he tells me :) - I just did about a half hours research finding
    > > information on our motherboard regarding lack of NMI support when
    using
    > > sblive to try to convince you that me and Jenny were right :).I went
    > > through all this when I first got the board and Jenny researched to
    help
    > > me..
    > >

    > >>Pandora does run nicely from DOSBOX with the SBLive when cycles is
    set
    > >>as needed.
    > >

    > > I've been so busy thinking about NMI, how many cycles should I try?
    Of
    > > course that depends on what speed CPU you have? What make and speed
    do
    > > you have? I might have to try different cycles.
    > >
    > > Mary
    > >

    > I have and AMD Athlon XP2500+ and while the DOSBOX optimal cycle
    setting
    > does vary depending on the game, Pandora seems good at 16000.

    So your computer setup (motherboard and CPU speed) is much the same as
    mine except I don't have the Audigy. And I have an Athlon XP2200 which
    is not much slower than your CPU.
    I tried 10000 cycles last night and it was better than before,but 16000
    seems like a lot more, but I will have to see.
    I haven't worked on the problem today yet as I've spent so much time on
    it already and have to get other things done, but I will fiddle with it
    again later. I'll let you know if I get it going properly.

    Mary
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:25:35 -0400, "Mary" <notme@notin.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Noman,
    > >
    > >Do you think my CPU cycles are too fast or too slow for Dosbox?
    > >I have an Asus A7V8X-X with AMD Athlon 2200 XP CPU.
    > >I will try your suggestion and see if it works.Thanks.
    >
    > Each game can have its own comfort setting in DOSBox. So you'll
    > have to experiment.

    Robert Gault has the same motherboard as me only he has AMD Athlon 2400,
    so not much different. He tried win 98SE and sblive with Pandora last
    night both through windows and Dos and didn't work. But got it to work
    in dosbox with win 98SE and sblive, which is what I am using. He did get
    Pandora to work in Windows with his Audigy2, and that worked. You will
    see updated messages here today about some Asus boards not having NMI
    support for sblive for dos games, so no dos games will work on my
    system.

    > Don't worry about the interrupts. If your sound card works in
    > Windows applications, it should work through DOSBox, as it emulates
    > all BIOS interrupt calls for screen graphics and sound.
    >
    > Your CPU is more than enough to run almost all DOS games in
    > DOSBox, barring the game-compatibility (with DOSBox) factor.
    > In general, it's better if you spend time on trying to get DOSBox
    > working, rather than running games in DOS mode.

    I have to agree, because dosbox is the only thing that will work with
    Pandora Directive on my system. I should have remembered that my system
    wont run Dos games from before, but I forgot. Windows and Dos will not
    play any dos games on my computer. Robert set dosbox at 16000 and got
    the game going ok. I tried 10000 last night and the sound was better,
    though not yet correct. I will try later today. I think I am getting
    there slow but sure (I hope) :)
    Thanks.

    Mary
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Mary" wrote in

    > "Rikard Peterson" <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I don't think it is a sound problem. It sounds like your computer
    >> is simply too slow to run the game well in DosBox. I'll let
    >> someone more experienced with DosBox suggest things to try in
    >> order to tweak
    >> DosBox.
    >
    > Do you think an Asus A7V8X-X with AMD Athlon 2200 XP is too slow
    > to run this game.?Or do you mean that Winn 98SE is too slow? The
    > game was made for a 486.

    Things run much slower inside DosBox, since it does its emulation
    thing. My previous computer, an AMD Athlon 1800, was too slow to run
    PD well inside DosBox.

    >> Instead I'll simply suggest that you try the game outside DosBox.
    >> It runs fine for me in Windows XP. No special tricks was required
    >> besides VDMSound (which was only needed since DOS programs don't
    >> get sound in XP without it).
    >
    > I only have a partition with Win2K on it. I don't have Win XP. I
    > tried VDmsound in Win2K but had the same sound problems. Or maybe
    > VDm sound doesn't work with Win 2k.

    It should work in w2k, but I don't know what to suggest. I don't
    think I've ever had reason to use VDMSound with anything but its
    default settings. Hm. Wait a minute... On second thought, I may have
    done some things to get it running. I probably followed the
    instructions at http://home.earthlink.net/
    ~infernofilecabinet4/XpSetupsP_T/Guest/pandorad.htm
    That might work in w2k, too.

    Rikard
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > "Mary" wrote in
    >
    > > "Rikard Peterson" <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I don't think it is a sound problem. It sounds like your computer
    > >> is simply too slow to run the game well in DosBox. I'll let
    > >> someone more experienced with DosBox suggest things to try in
    > >> order to tweak
    > >> DosBox.
    > >
    > > Do you think an Asus A7V8X-X with AMD Athlon 2200 XP is too slow
    > > to run this game.?Or do you mean that Winn 98SE is too slow? The
    > > game was made for a 486.
    >
    > Things run much slower inside DosBox, since it does its emulation
    > thing. My previous computer, an AMD Athlon 1800, was too slow to run
    > PD well inside DosBox.

    Really! Maybe you saw Robert Gault's previous message regarding his
    computer components.
    He and I have the same motherboard but he has an AMD XP 2400, and mine
    is AMD XP2200 so not much difference in speeds between the two CPU's. He
    tried Pandora directive and sblive in dosbox yesterday and said it
    worked fine at 16000 cycles. I tried it at 10000 last night and the game
    ran faster and the sound was better, but still breaking up a bit but at
    least better than before. The cycles were too slow before. I will fiddle
    with it later when I have more time.

    > >> Instead I'll simply suggest that you try the game outside DosBox.
    > >> It runs fine for me in Windows XP. No special tricks was required
    > >> besides VDMSound (which was only needed since DOS programs don't
    > >> get sound in XP without it).
    > >
    > > I only have a partition with Win2K on it. I don't have Win XP. I
    > > tried VDmsound in Win2K but had the same sound problems. Or maybe
    > > VDm sound doesn't work with Win 2k.
    >
    > It should work in w2k, but I don't know what to suggest. I don't
    > think I've ever had reason to use VDMSound with anything but its
    > default settings. Hm. Wait a minute... On second thought, I may have
    > done some things to get it running. I probably followed the
    > instructions at http://home.earthlink.net/
    > ~infernofilecabinet4/XpSetupsP_T/Guest/pandorad.htm
    > That might work in w2k, too.

    Thanks Rikard, but I would only use Win2k if I had to, and since Robert
    got Win 98SE and sblive to work fine with dosbox, and my motherboard is
    the same as his and my CPU not much slower than his, it should work for
    me.Its more convenient for me to use win 98SE, as everything I do is
    there. I would only use win 2k if I had to. Besides, the link you
    mention above mentions only WinXP but as you say, it might work on Win
    2k as well. I will keep it in mind, if need be. Thanks again.

    Mary
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Robert Gault wrote:
    > Mary wrote:
    >

    >> Doesn't Windows use the sb16 emulator for dos games only? Wouldn't
    >> windows use the "regular" sblive drivers not sb16 emulator.?
    >>

    > That is not the way to look at what happens. Regardless whether a game
    > runs in DOS or Windows, it either looks for an SB16 or does not. SB16
    > Windows emulation just fools games into thinking that the SB16 is present.
    >
    > Modern games don't look for audio cards directly but either MS or
    > DirectX code that will eventually vector to the audio card drivers.

    More on the SBLive NMI problem
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive/msg/147b2fbdaeff13e6?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "djin" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Robert Gault wrote:
    > > Mary wrote:
    > >

    > >> Doesn't Windows use the sb16 emulator for dos games only? Wouldn't
    > >> windows use the "regular" sblive drivers not sb16 emulator.?
    > >>

    > > That is not the way to look at what happens. Regardless whether a
    game
    > > runs in DOS or Windows, it either looks for an SB16 or does not.
    SB16
    > > Windows emulation just fools games into thinking that the SB16 is
    present.

    > > Modern games don't look for audio cards directly but either MS or
    > > DirectX code that will eventually vector to the audio card drivers.
    >

    > More on the SBLive NMI problem

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive/msg/147b2fbdaeff13e6?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8

    Thanks. That was the same link I gave to Robert Gault here last night.
    It was a message written on alt.periphs.soundcard.sblive by Lee York in
    1999. I remember seeing that same message
    when researching in 2003 after I first got the board and found out that
    some Asus boards do not have NMI support so won't work with sblive for
    dos games. Lee's message gives very good detail and information. The
    message says it can be resolved by buying another motherboard.
    I won't be doing that. Thanks to Dosbox and similar programs which
    people have been good enough to make for us, there are now easier ways.
    It was pretty cheap of Asus not to put NMI on some of their boards. I
    guess they figured nobody would notice and most people
    probably didn't :).

    Mary
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:
    > I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and
    > mouse problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the game
    > is supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I couldn't
    > get it to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect will accept
    > Sbpro, Sb
    > 1.0. I thought the game would run OK, because the setup test for sound
    > and music worked fine, but the sound in the intro breaks up and the
    > characters move too slow. After the intro and into the game itself,
    > the sound is not as broken up, but still not right either. Also, when
    > I push the mouse in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its either
    > too fast or too slow. Not sure which. I am using Win 98SE but tried
    > the game in Win 2K and had the same problem, though I am not familiar
    > with running DOS games in Win 2K. My video and sound drivers are up
    > to date. I thought I read that someone here was having problems
    > running Pandora Directive a while back, but maybe it involved Win XP.
    > I checked google but couldn't find anything. Anybody had the same
    > problem or have suggestions?

    You shouldn`t need to run it via Dosbox. I`m still using Win98 FE and it
    runs fine.

    mick
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "mick" <coughcough.@privacy.com> wrote in message
    > Mary wrote:
    > > I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and
    > > mouse problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the game
    > > is supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I couldn't
    > > get it to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect will accept
    > > Sbpro, Sb
    > > 1.0. I thought the game would run OK, because the setup test for
    sound
    > > and music worked fine, but the sound in the intro breaks up and the
    > > characters move too slow. After the intro and into the game itself,
    > > the sound is not as broken up, but still not right either. Also,
    when
    > > I push the mouse in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its
    either
    > > too fast or too slow. Not sure which. I am using Win 98SE but tried
    > > the game in Win 2K and had the same problem, though I am not
    familiar
    > > with running DOS games in Win 2K. My video and sound drivers are up
    > > to date. I thought I read that someone here was having problems
    > > running Pandora Directive a while back, but maybe it involved Win
    XP.
    > > I checked google but couldn't find anything. Anybody had the same
    > > problem or have suggestions?
    >

    > You shouldn`t need to run it via Dosbox. I`m still using Win98 FE and
    it
    > runs fine.

    By now, you've probably seen messages posted around the same type as you
    posted your message this afternoon..
    Pandora probably runs fine for you, because you are not using an Asus
    board and sblive.
    Some Asus boards, such as mine, do not have NMI support which is needed
    for sblive to run DOS games with sound.

    See:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive/msg/147b2fbdaeff13e6?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8

    Mary
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:
    ><snip>
    >>Audigy2 SB16 or SBPro
    >>emulation does work for DOS windows. While this is true and tested on
    >
    > my
    >
    >>system, Creative does not support this and claims it can't be done. In
    >>fact there is a trick to get the SB16 emulation to work.
    >

    > What is Creative's reasoning that the Audigy2 Sb16 or Sbpro won't work
    > in Dos windows? What is the trick to get the Sb16 to work? (I presume
    > you are talking about getting the Audigy2 to work via Start/exit to
    > msdos screen?

    No, I'm referring to SB16 or SBPro emulation in a DOS Window with
    Windows running.

    > BTW what is the difference between Audigy1 and Audigy2? I haven't paid
    > much attention to those sound cards.

    Quite a lot and the Audigy1 has DOS drivers while the Audigy2 does not.
    The main difference is sound quality with the Audigy2 being much better.
    That is not an issue for old games but for audio CD and MIDI use.

    >>There is a package that claims to permit the Audigy2 to work with the
    >>Audigy1 DOS drivers. But whether it will work with our Asus board is
    >>unknown.
    >

    > Where is the package and who created it?

    " Audigy12

    a 'patch' for Audigy 2 cards using DOS drivers of Audigy 1
    written by PDSoft (Attila Padar, http://mpxplay.cjb.net)
    (based on some opensource EMU10Kx drivers)
    important:
    use it under DOS only! (don't try under Win)"

    > Mary

    The Audigy2 card will emulate SBPro boards using the WDM drivers.
    Nothing special needs to be done.

    SB16 emulation requires the .vxd driver set. Additionally a change to
    the registry is needed and the driver needs to be installed twice.

    The Creative inf files do not install SB16.inf and can’t correctly
    install it by any method until you add an entry to the registry.

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CreativeTech\
    Emu10kx\Emulation]
    "EnableSB16Emulation"=dword:00000001

    You can either create an SB16.reg with the above lines and double click
    on it, or manually add the entry to the registry. Once this is done and
    you reboot, the system will try to install SB16 emulation from the
    SB16.inf. Typically installation will fail and you will see a yellow !
    with Device Manager. Don’t worry, just go to control panel / Add New
    Hardware and reinstall the emulation. When using Add New Hardware, make
    sure to select manually from a list of Sound Devices / Creative
    Technology LTD the SB16 emulation drive with the most recent date if
    more than one is present. After a reboot, a second entry will appear in
    Device Manager for emulation, it will work, and you can ignore the
    original non-functional entry still present.

    Mary, none of the above is likely to help you with your SBLive card.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    djin wrote:

    > Robert Gault wrote:
    >
    >> Mary wrote:
    >>

    >>> Doesn't Windows use the sb16 emulator for dos games only? Wouldn't
    >>> windows use the "regular" sblive drivers not sb16 emulator.?
    >>>

    >> That is not the way to look at what happens. Regardless whether a game
    >> runs in DOS or Windows, it either looks for an SB16 or does not. SB16
    >> Windows emulation just fools games into thinking that the SB16 is
    >> present.
    >>
    >> Modern games don't look for audio cards directly but either MS or
    >> DirectX code that will eventually vector to the audio card drivers.
    >

    > More on the SBLive NMI problem
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive/msg/147b2fbdaeff13e6?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8

    I've searched for information on activating SERR on an Asus A7V8X-X
    board with something like WPCREDIT with no success. None of the
    available BIOS for this board permits activation of this function.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:
    > Lee's message gives very good detail and information. The
    > message says it can be resolved by buying another motherboard.
    > I won't be doing that.

    hehe
    Can't say I blame you.

    > Thanks to Dosbox and similar programs which
    > people have been good enough to make for us, there are now easier ways.
    > It was pretty cheap of Asus not to put NMI on some of their boards. I
    > guess they figured nobody would notice and most people
    > probably didn't :).
    >
    > Mary

  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:
    > "mick" <coughcough.@privacy.com> wrote in message
    >> Mary wrote:
    >>> I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and
    >>> mouse problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the game
    >>> is supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I couldn't
    >>> get it to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect will accept
    >>> Sbpro, Sb
    >>> 1.0. I thought the game would run OK, because the setup test for
    >>> sound and music worked fine, but the sound in the intro breaks up
    >>> and the characters move too slow. After the intro and into the game
    >>> itself, the sound is not as broken up, but still not right either.
    >>> Also, when I push the mouse in "Movement" mode, its hard to
    >>> control. Its either too fast or too slow. Not sure which. I am
    >>> using Win 98SE but tried the game in Win 2K and had the same
    >>> problem, though I am not familiar with running DOS games in Win 2K.
    >>> My video and sound drivers are up to date. I thought I read that
    >>> someone here was having problems running Pandora Directive a while
    >>> back, but maybe it involved Win XP. I checked google but couldn't
    >>> find anything. Anybody had the same problem or have suggestions?
    >>

    >> You shouldn`t need to run it via Dosbox. I`m still using Win98 FE
    >> and it runs fine.
    >
    > By now, you've probably seen messages posted around the same type as
    > you posted your message this afternoon..
    > Pandora probably runs fine for you, because you are not using an Asus
    > board and sblive.
    > Some Asus boards, such as mine, do not have NMI support which is
    > needed for sblive to run DOS games with sound.
    >
    > See:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive/msg/147b2fbdaeff13e6?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8

    Yes I posted before I`d noticed the size of the thread. Unhelpful; sorry
    about that.
    I was actually involved in one of the threads about the NMI problem a few
    years ago in this group, as I had a similar experience with my old
    motherboard and had to resort to turning off the soundcard and using the
    motherboards onboard sound instead.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure/browse_thread/thread/2410990250a98690/997ebc1c8a87ed8d?q=NMI+mick&rnum=2&hl=en#997ebc1c8a87ed8d

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/c85mr

    mick
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:
    > I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and mouse
    > problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the game is
    > supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I couldn't get it
    > to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect will accept Sbpro, Sb
    > 1.0. I thought the game would run OK, because the setup test for sound
    > and music worked fine, but the sound in the intro breaks up and the
    > characters move too slow. After the intro and into the game itself, the
    > sound is not as broken up, but still not right either. Also, when I push
    > the mouse in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its either too fast
    > or too slow. Not sure which. I am using Win 98SE but tried the game in
    > Win 2K and had the same problem, though I am not familiar with running
    > DOS games in Win 2K. My video and sound drivers are up to date. I
    > thought I read that someone here was having problems running Pandora
    > Directive a while back, but maybe it involved Win XP. I checked google
    > but couldn't find anything. Anybody had the same problem or have
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Mary

    Here is another route to try if your A7V8X-X has on board sound (as mine
    does.) You can activate the SoundMAX drivers and AC97 hardware, plug
    your speakers into the on board outputs, and test your DOS games in a
    DOS Window.

    I have been able to get digital sound but no MIDI by this route with
    Pandora. You may have better success, if so post the results.

    I ran this test with the Audigy2 card installed. Perhaps MIDI will work
    better with the on board sound if the Audigy2 were removed?
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Robert Gault wrote:
    > Here is another route to try if your A7V8X-X has on board sound (as
    > mine does.) You can activate the SoundMAX drivers and AC97 hardware,
    > plug your speakers into the on board outputs, and test your DOS games
    > in a DOS Window.
    >
    > I have been able to get digital sound but no MIDI by this route with
    > Pandora. You may have better success, if so post the results.
    >
    > I ran this test with the Audigy2 card installed. Perhaps MIDI will
    > work better with the on board sound if the Audigy2 were removed?

    This is the route I ended up taking a few years ago (see other post in this
    thread).

    mick
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    mick wrote:

    > Robert Gault wrote:
    >
    >>Here is another route to try if your A7V8X-X has on board sound (as
    >>mine does.) You can activate the SoundMAX drivers and AC97 hardware,
    >>plug your speakers into the on board outputs, and test your DOS games
    >>in a DOS Window.
    >>
    >>I have been able to get digital sound but no MIDI by this route with
    >>Pandora. You may have better success, if so post the results.
    >>
    >>I ran this test with the Audigy2 card installed. Perhaps MIDI will
    >>work better with the on board sound if the Audigy2 were removed?
    >

    > This is the route I ended up taking a few years ago (see other post in this
    > thread).
    >
    > mick

    Could you get MIDI output working? If so, what did you do?
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Robert Gault wrote:
    > mick wrote:
    >
    >> Robert Gault wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here is another route to try if your A7V8X-X has on board sound (as
    >>> mine does.) You can activate the SoundMAX drivers and AC97 hardware,
    >>> plug your speakers into the on board outputs, and test your DOS
    >>> games in a DOS Window.
    >>>
    >>> I have been able to get digital sound but no MIDI by this route with
    >>> Pandora. You may have better success, if so post the results.
    >>>
    >>> I ran this test with the Audigy2 card installed. Perhaps MIDI will
    >>> work better with the on board sound if the Audigy2 were removed?
    >>

    >> This is the route I ended up taking a few years ago (see other post
    >> in this thread).
    >>

    > Could you get MIDI output working?

    Yes it definately worked.

    >If so, what did you do?

    There`s the problem I can`t remember exactly what I did now (if anything).
    Isn`t it possible to select MIDI output through one of the control panels or
    from the DOS script?

    mick
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    On 18 Aug 2005 21:22:07 GMT, Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com>
    wrote:

    >Instead I'll simply suggest that you try the game outside DosBox. It
    >runs fine for me in Windows XP. No special tricks was required besides
    >VDMSound (which was only needed since DOS programs don't get sound in
    >XP without it).
    >
    >Rikard

    I have tried to run PD on XP with VDMSound........system goes
    BLACK..... ANY IDEAS would be appreciated !!

    Many Thanks !!

    Cliff
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:

    > I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and mouse
    > problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the game is
    > supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I couldn't get it
    > to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect will accept Sbpro, Sb
    > 1.0. I thought the game would run OK, because the setup test for sound
    > and music worked fine, but the sound in the intro breaks up and the
    > characters move too slow. After the intro and into the game itself, the
    > sound is not as broken up, but still not right either. Also, when I push
    > the mouse in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its either too fast
    > or too slow. Not sure which. I am using Win 98SE but tried the game in
    > Win 2K and had the same problem, though I am not familiar with running
    > DOS games in Win 2K. My video and sound drivers are up to date. I
    > thought I read that someone here was having problems running Pandora
    > Directive a while back, but maybe it involved Win XP. I checked google
    > but couldn't find anything. Anybody had the same problem or have
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Mary

    Here is an interesting observation on the "problem" of a missing NMI.
    The following test with Win98SE, SBLive card, and Audigy2 .vxd drivers
    was able to get SB16 emulation to work correctly in a DOS Window with
    several games including Pandora.

    This clearly means that the presence or lack of the NMI is not relevant
    to SB16 emulation from within Windows. It probably will still be
    critical in DOS. Put another way, Creative could have issued an update
    to the SBLive drivers to correct the problem.

    Unfortunately, it is not possible to run most of the SBLive support
    programs on top of the Audigy2 drivers. In addition, the size of the
    original zipped Audigy2 driver set is 24Megs so it can't be e-mailed
    without a broadband connection. (I don't have one.) The driver set is
    not on the Creative site and may not be on the Internet.
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    I've been busy for a couple of days so will reply to a few messages. I
    also had video problems. will explain in a later message.

    > Mary wrote:
    > ><snip>
    > >>Audigy2 SB16 or SBPro
    > >>emulation does work for DOS windows. While this is true and tested
    on

    > > my
    > >
    > >>system, Creative does not support this and claims it can't be done.
    In
    > >>fact there is a trick to get the SB16 emulation to work.
    > >

    > > What is Creative's reasoning that the Audigy2 Sb16 or Sbpro won't
    work
    > > in Dos windows? What is the trick to get the Sb16 to work? (I
    presume
    > > you are talking about getting the Audigy2 to work via Start/exit to
    > > msdos screen?
    >
    > No, I'm referring to SB16 or SBPro emulation in a DOS Window with
    > Windows running.

    This is a bit confusing.It looked like from your above comment that you
    were referring to your Audigy2 getting sb16 or sbpro emulation to work.
    Since you mentioned that Audigy2 did not have any DOS drivers, I didn't
    think it had any sb16 emulation either. BTW, isn't Pandora a Dos
    programmed game? In that case, I would think it would only work in Dos
    as in Start/exit/restart in MSDOS? or maybe through windows but using a
    dos base.

    > > BTW what is the difference between Audigy1 and Audigy2? I haven't
    paid
    > > much attention to those sound cards.
    > >

    > Quite a lot and the Audigy1 has DOS drivers while the Audigy2 does
    not.
    > The main difference is sound quality with the Audigy2 being much
    better.
    > That is not an issue for old games but for audio CD and MIDI use.

    I didn't know that Audigy1 had DOS drivers. I thought sblive was the
    last to have DOS drivers.

    > >>There is a package that claims to permit the Audigy2 to work with
    the
    > >>Audigy1 DOS drivers. But whether it will work with our Asus board is
    > >>unknown.
    > >

    > > Where is the package and who created it?
    >
    > " Audigy12
    >
    > a 'patch' for Audigy 2 cards using DOS drivers of Audigy 1
    > written by PDSoft (Attila Padar, http://mpxplay.cjb.net)
    > (based on some opensource EMU10Kx drivers)
    > important:
    > use it under DOS only! (don't try under Win)"

    Have you tried the above?

    > The Audigy2 card will emulate SBPro boards using the WDM drivers.
    > Nothing special needs to be done.

    What are WDM drivers?

    > SB16 emulation requires the .vxd driver set. Additionally a change to
    > the registry is needed and the driver needs to be installed twice.
    >
    > The Creative inf files do not install SB16.inf and can’t correctly
    > install it by any method until you add an entry to the registry.
    >
    > REGEDIT4
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CreativeTech\
    > Emu10kx\Emulation]
    > "EnableSB16Emulation"=dword:00000001
    >
    > You can either create an SB16.reg with the above lines and double
    click
    > on it, or manually add the entry to the registry. Once this is done
    and
    > you reboot, the system will try to install SB16 emulation from the
    > SB16.inf. Typically installation will fail and you will see a yellow !
    > with Device Manager. Don’t worry, just go to control panel / Add New
    > Hardware and reinstall the emulation. When using Add New Hardware,
    make
    > sure to select manually from a list of Sound Devices / Creative
    > Technology LTD the SB16 emulation drive with the most recent date if
    > more than one is present. After a reboot, a second entry will appear
    in
    > Device Manager for emulation, it will work, and you can ignore the
    > original non-functional entry still present.

    Are we talking about Audigy2 card above? I've lost track :)

    > Mary, none of the above is likely to help you with your SBLive card.

    True, as I doubt I would ever be using Audigy cards. I just wondered how
    things worked with
    Audigy sound cards.

    Mary
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Mary wrote:
    > > "mick" <coughcough.@privacy.com> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> You shouldn`t need to run it via Dosbox. I`m still using Win98 FE
    > >> and it runs fine.
    > >
    > > By now, you've probably seen messages posted around the same type as
    > > you posted your message this afternoon..
    > > Pandora probably runs fine for you, because you are not using an
    Asus
    > > board and sblive.
    > > Some Asus boards, such as mine, do not have NMI support which is
    > > needed for sblive to run DOS games with sound.
    > >
    > > See:

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive/msg/147b2fbdaeff13e6?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8

    > Yes I posted before I`d noticed the size of the thread. Unhelpful;
    sorry
    > about that.

    Thats OK.

    > I was actually involved in one of the threads about the NMI problem a
    few
    > years ago in this group, as I had a similar experience with my old
    > motherboard and had to resort to turning off the soundcard and using
    the
    > motherboards onboard sound instead.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure/browse_thread/thread/2410990250a98690/997ebc1c8a87ed8d?q=NMI+mick&rnum=2&hl=en#997ebc1c8a87ed8d

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/c85mr

    mick

    I think I remember you now after I looked at the above thread which was
    almost 3 years ago, when were were talking about various things and at
    that time you couldn't get Overseer to work. Jenny suggested in one
    message that it might be because you didn't have NMI on your motherboard
    (Jenny's ears must be burning by now at us mentioning her name. I don't
    see her around much here any more). In that thread I suggested you get a
    Sb16 ISA card, as you had a sblive.I wonder now if a regular SB16 in an
    ISA slot would have solved your problem.
    I didn't buy a new motherboard (which has the NMI problem) for more than
    a year after those discussions so didn't know what NMI was. But now I
    sure do. BTW, how DID you finally get Overseer working? and was the
    problem lack of NMI support on your board? 3 years is much too long for
    me to remember. I can barely remember back to yesterday :)

    As an aside, I played Overseer but I didn't think it was nearly as good
    as Pandora Directive. Under a killing moon was ok, but it was so hard to
    guide the mouse into awkward places. I don't care for Pandora's
    interface regarding the mouse either. I seem to go past places I am
    supposed to stop at and manouvering in and out is a nuisance. To me it
    is distracting in the game. I like the game very much, but point and
    click is so much easier and the focus is on the game, not trying to get
    into low or high drawers.

    MaryJ
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Mary wrote:

    > > or too slow. Not sure which. I am using Win 98SE but tried the game
    in
    > > Win 2K and had the same problem, though I am not familiar with
    running
    > > DOS games in Win 2K. My video and sound drivers are up to date. I
    > > thought I read that someone here was having problems running Pandora
    > > Directive a while back, but maybe it involved Win XP. I checked
    google
    > > but couldn't find anything. Anybody had the same problem or have
    > > suggestions?
    > >
    > > Mary
    > >

    > Here is another route to try if your A7V8X-X has on board sound (as
    mine
    > does.) You can activate the SoundMAX drivers and AC97 hardware, plug
    > your speakers into the on board outputs, and test your DOS games in a
    > DOS Window.

    I briefly thought about that, but figured it should work properly in
    dosbox, since you said you had been successful. Isn't the sound onboard
    Realtek? I tried onboard sound with my previous board and the sound was
    not good. Thats why I bought a sblive. The sb16 ISA card is the best
    card I ever had and caused me no problems.

    Anyway, to update. I got Pandora working ok now and put 16000 cycles as
    you said and the game is running a little faster. And it works fine. The
    sound slightly breaks up a bit but nothing bad and far better than it
    was at the start, and the mouse runs fine.

    But it took me a long time to get things fixed up. On Friday, after
    changing the cycles and trying this and that in dosbox, when I exited,
    suddenly my video drivers went funny and I could
    only get 16 colours and my enhanced video drivers were gone. So Direct
    draw, direct acceleration and AGP texture were all disabled in
    DirectX9c. So off and on for 4 hours at least,
    on Friday and yesterday, I tried uninstalling and installing various
    Catalyst drivers and 4 in 1 drivers so many times, I lost count. I went
    to ati site and took ages to find older Catalyst drivers which I need
    for my ATI 9000 Pro. I couldn't find any and wrote to them.They are all
    the same those companies and don't want you to write to them, so make it
    almost impossible to find how to contact them by email. ATI even charge
    you if you have to phone them. They never used to do that. They all want
    you to buy stop, but not bother them after that. So cheap!

    Yesterday, I finally got the regular video drivers to work but not
    enhanced drivers.This happened one time before, about a year ago when I
    was playing The Silver Earring. Near the end of the game, it crashed
    and I got kicked out to the desktop and had only 16 colours. Very
    strange. So it took a few days trying off and off various Catalyst
    drivers and yes I know you have to make sure to uninstall all previous
    Catalyst drivers. I finally got Win 2k from my son and where the game
    crashed, I was able to get past that part. (I kept my save). So I never
    did finish the game in win 98SE. Eventually, in win 98SE I got the
    enhanced video drivers back, but took a lot of patience and time. It
    seems to me that I also had to reformat my drive to fix the problem.
    I've played different games in win 98SE since then and never had that
    same experience with the video drivers till now.

    Today, when I logged on, I checked Display /Advanced and lo and behold,
    the enhanced drivers were all there and when I checked DirectX 9c
    everything is enabled again. Yet, last night when I did one last reboot
    to and check before logging off, there were no enhanced drivers.So
    figure that one out!
    BTW, in the Control panel in Display, Smartgart used to be there but is
    not there now.
    I am not going out of my way to find out because I've had enough
    aggravation, but
    since Smartgart is part of Catalyst drivers, why would it not be
    installed ? I know you can uninstall it separately, but can you install
    it separately? Oh, and another strange thing, now that things got fixed,
    in dosbox I can type the colon sign again. Remember I said I could only
    type apostrophe before?

    > I have been able to get digital sound but no MIDI by this route with
    > Pandora. You may have better success, if so post the results.
    >
    > I ran this test with the Audigy2 card installed. Perhaps MIDI will
    work
    > better with the on board sound if the Audigy2 were removed?

    I doubt it would matter if the Audigy2 card were removed. If you
    disabled it in Device Manager, the onboard sound should ignore your
    Audigy.

    Mary
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > djin wrote:
    >
    > > Robert Gault wrote:

    > >> That is not the way to look at what happens. Regardless whether a
    game
    > >> runs in DOS or Windows, it either looks for an SB16 or does not.
    SB16
    > >> Windows emulation just fools games into thinking that the SB16 is
    > >> present.
    > >>
    > >> Modern games don't look for audio cards directly but either MS or
    > >> DirectX code that will eventually vector to the audio card drivers.
    > >

    > > More on the SBLive NMI problem

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive/msg/147b2fbdaeff13e6?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8

    > I've searched for information on activating SERR on an Asus A7V8X-X
    > board with something like WPCREDIT with no success. None of the
    > available BIOS for this board permits activation of this function.

    Robert, I checked on Asus bios for our board, and don't see any updates
    since I updated to 1013 which was ages ago. Is that what you are using
    for bios number?

    Mary
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Mary wrote:
    > > characters move too slow. After the intro and into the game itself,
    the
    > > sound is not as broken up, but still not right either. Also, when I
    push
    > > the mouse in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its either too
    fast
    > > or too slow. Not sure which. I am using Win 98SE but tried the game
    in
    > > Win 2K and had the same problem, though I am not familiar with
    running
    > > DOS games in Win 2K. My video and sound drivers are up to date. I
    > > thought I read that someone here was having problems running Pandora
    > > Directive a while back, but maybe it involved Win XP. I checked
    google
    > > but couldn't find anything. Anybody had the same problem or have
    > > suggestions?
    > >
    > > Mary
    > >

    > Here is an interesting observation on the "problem" of a missing NMI.
    > The following test with Win98SE, SBLive card, and Audigy2 .vxd drivers
    > was able to get SB16 emulation to work correctly in a DOS Window with
    > several games including Pandora.

    Do you mean you installed both the sblive drivers and audigy2 drivers ?
    Even if that is true, many, if not most people only have one sound card.
    So the problem of some boards not having NMI support is still valid with
    a sblive and
    lots of people still have sblive cards.

    > This clearly means that the presence or lack of the NMI is not
    relevant
    > to SB16 emulation from within Windows.

    It is relevant if you have a sblive which will not work with lack of NMI
    support though even if in windows?

    >It probably will still be
    > critical in DOS. Put another way, Creative could have issued an update
    > to the SBLive drivers to correct the problem.

    Yes, they could have, but on the other hand, why did some of the cheaper
    boards stop putting NMI on their boards? They used to have them there
    before and probably just want to cut costs of manufacture by leavingout
    NMI. Its probably one small chip on the motherboard, though I don't
    really know.

    > Unfortunately, it is not possible to run most of the SBLive support
    > programs on top of the Audigy2 drivers.

    Not sure what you mean again. What programs? and do you mean installing
    both sblive and audigy2 sound drivers for games?

    In addition, the size of the
    > original zipped Audigy2 driver set is 24Megs so it can't be e-mailed
    > without a broadband connection. (I don't have one.) The driver set is
    > not on the Creative site and may not be on the Internet.

    I wonder why the audigy2 drivers are not on Creative labs when people
    are presently using the audigy2? Creative used to have sblive and even
    sb16 on their site for years. I have a lite broadband connection. not as
    fast as regular, but a few times faster than dialup.And my phone line is
    free which I didn't like with dialup.

    Mary
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Cliff" wrote in news:hn9hg19kcddhk7g8rc3lick5o6e6sm9v6a@4ax.com:

    > I have tried to run PD on XP with VDMSound........system goes
    > BLACK..... ANY IDEAS would be appreciated !!

    Do you have a TV connected to your computer? Try disconnecting it
    before starting the game.

    My previous computer (with a GeForce 4 card, I haven't tried it on my
    current one with an ATI card, so I don't know if it's an nVidia thing
    or not) would only activate one monitor for DOS programs, so the other
    ones were turned off. The image was displayed on the TV, with my LCD
    monitor tuned off. (IIRC, the card chooses in the order CRT - TV -
    LCD.) I was confused for quite a while when my screen turned off after
    starting PD.

    Rikard
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Robert Gault wrote:
    > Mary wrote:
    >
    >> I was going to re-play Pandora Directive, but am having sound and mouse
    >> problems. I used Dosbox to install as their site says the game is
    >> supported. When choosing sound and music for the game, I couldn't get it
    >> to accept SB16 (my card is sblive). Auto detect will accept Sbpro, Sb
    >> 1.0. I thought the game would run OK, because the setup test for sound
    >> and music worked fine, but the sound in the intro breaks up and the
    >> characters move too slow. After the intro and into the game itself, the
    >> sound is not as broken up, but still not right either. Also, when I push
    >> the mouse in "Movement" mode, its hard to control. Its either too fast
    >> or too slow. Not sure which. I am using Win 98SE but tried the game in
    >> Win 2K and had the same problem, though I am not familiar with running
    >> DOS games in Win 2K. My video and sound drivers are up to date. I
    >> thought I read that someone here was having problems running Pandora
    >> Directive a while back, but maybe it involved Win XP. I checked google
    >> but couldn't find anything. Anybody had the same problem or have
    >> suggestions?
    >>
    >> Mary
    >>

    > Here is an interesting observation on the "problem" of a missing NMI.
    > The following test with Win98SE, SBLive card, and Audigy2 .vxd drivers
    > was able to get SB16 emulation to work correctly in a DOS Window with
    > several games including Pandora.
    >
    > This clearly means that the presence or lack of the NMI is not relevant
    > to SB16 emulation from within Windows. It probably will still be
    > critical in DOS. Put another way, Creative could have issued an update
    > to the SBLive drivers to correct the problem.
    >
    > Unfortunately, it is not possible to run most of the SBLive support
    > programs on top of the Audigy2 drivers. In addition, the size of the
    > original zipped Audigy2 driver set is 24Megs so it can't be e-mailed
    > without a broadband connection. (I don't have one.) The driver set is
    > not on the Creative site and may not be on the Internet.

    Is it not at driverguide.com ?
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:
    > "mick" <coughcough.@privacy.com> wrote in message
    >> Mary wrote:

    >> I was actually involved in one of the threads about the NMI problem
    >> a few years ago in this group, as I had a similar experience with my
    >> old motherboard and had to resort to turning off the soundcard and
    >> using the motherboards onboard sound instead.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure/browse_thread/thread/2410990250a98690/997ebc1c8a87ed8d?q=NMI+mick&rnum=2&hl=en#997ebc1c8a87ed8d

    > or
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/c85mr
    >

    > I think I remember you now after I looked at the above thread which
    > was almost 3 years ago, when were were talking about various things
    > and at that time you couldn't get Overseer to work. Jenny suggested
    > in one message that it might be because you didn't have NMI on your
    > motherboard (Jenny's ears must be burning by now at us mentioning her
    > name. I don't see her around much here any more). In that thread I
    > suggested you get a Sb16 ISA card, as you had a sblive.I wonder now
    > if a regular SB16 in an ISA slot would have solved your problem.
    > I didn't buy a new motherboard (which has the NMI problem) for more
    > than a year after those discussions so didn't know what NMI was. But
    > now I sure do. BTW, how DID you finally get Overseer working? and was
    > the problem lack of NMI support on your board? 3 years is much too
    > long for me to remember. I can barely remember back to yesterday :)

    Yes, have a look at the last post of the old Overseer thread (link above)

    My MB had onboard sound which I had turned off (via a jumper) when I
    installed the SBLive. I had assumed that when I changed the jumper back so I
    could use the onboard sound for old games that this would mean the SBLive
    would no longer work. This turned out not to be the case. Both systems
    worked together. All I then had to do was connect the output from the
    onboard sound (ESS) to the input for the SBLive so I didn`t have to mess
    about changing the speakers. Of course this will only work if your MB has
    onboard sound as well.

    > As an aside, I played Overseer but I didn't think it was nearly as
    > good as Pandora Directive. Under a killing moon was ok, but it was so
    > hard to guide the mouse into awkward places. I don't care for
    > Pandora's interface regarding the mouse either. I seem to go past
    > places I am supposed to stop at and manouvering in and out is a
    > nuisance. To me it is distracting in the game. I like the game very
    > much, but point and click is so much easier and the focus is on the
    > game, not trying to get into low or high drawers.

    I`m half way through replaying Pandora Directive. Unfortunately my system
    went down a while ago, and by the time I`d got it up and running again and
    got things in a reasonable state (this took quite a while) I`d rather lost
    the gist of the plot; so I`m now stuck in a sort of a limbo and I don`t
    fancy starting the game all over again:-)

    As for the game navigation - if you press the Right Mouse Button the
    movement will stop dead. So it`s a combination of mouse and RMB. Hope that
    helps

    mick
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Mary wrote:

    ><snip>
    >
    > Robert, I checked on Asus bios for our board, and don't see any updates
    > since I updated to 1013 which was ages ago. Is that what you are using
    > for bios number?
    >
    > Mary

    Yes.
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    > Mary wrote:
    > > "mick" <coughcough.@privacy.com> wrote in message
    > >> Mary wrote:
    >
    > >> I was actually involved in one of the threads about the NMI problem
    > >> a few years ago in this group, as I had a similar experience with
    my
    > >> old motherboard and had to resort to turning off the soundcard and
    > >> using the motherboards onboard sound instead.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure/browse_thread/thread/2410990250a98690/997ebc1c8a87ed8d?q=NMI+mick&rnum=2&hl=en#997ebc1c8a87ed8d

    > > or
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/c85mr
    > >

    > > I think I remember you now after I looked at the above thread which
    > > was almost 3 years ago, when were were talking about various things
    > > and at that time you couldn't get Overseer to work. Jenny suggested
    > > in one message that it might be because you didn't have NMI on your
    > > motherboard (Jenny's ears must be burning by now at us mentioning
    her
    > > name. I don't see her around much here any more). In that thread I
    > > suggested you get a Sb16 ISA card, as you had a sblive.I wonder now
    > > if a regular SB16 in an ISA slot would have solved your problem.
    > > I didn't buy a new motherboard (which has the NMI problem) for more
    > > than a year after those discussions so didn't know what NMI was. But
    > > now I sure do. BTW, how DID you finally get Overseer working? and
    was
    > > the problem lack of NMI support on your board? 3 years is much too
    > > long for me to remember. I can barely remember back to yesterday :)
    >
    > Yes, have a look at the last post of the old Overseer thread (link
    above)

    So you used the onboard sound and looks like it worked OK. That might
    have been something I could have tried with Pandora, but luckily, I have
    solved my problem, which I hope remains solved.

    > My MB had onboard sound which I had turned off (via a jumper) when I
    > installed the SBLive. I had assumed that when I changed the jumper
    back so I
    > could use the onboard sound for old games that this would mean the
    SBLive
    > would no longer work. This turned out not to be the case. Both systems
    > worked together. All I then had to do was connect the output from the
    > onboard sound (ESS) to the input for the SBLive so I didn`t have to
    mess
    > about changing the speakers. Of course this will only work if your MB
    has
    > onboard sound as well.

    I don't remember removing the jumper on my motherboard to disable
    onboard sound but maybe I did. I've had the motherboard for almost two
    years so I made most changes when I first got it. I disabled the onboard
    modem and sound when I first used the board.

    > > As an aside, I played Overseer but I didn't think it was nearly as
    > > good as Pandora Directive. Under a killing moon was ok, but it was
    so
    > > hard to guide the mouse into awkward places. I don't care for
    > > Pandora's interface regarding the mouse either. I seem to go past
    > > places I am supposed to stop at and manouvering in and out is a
    > > nuisance. To me it is distracting in the game. I like the game very
    > > much, but point and click is so much easier and the focus is on the
    > > game, not trying to get into low or high drawers.
    >
    > I`m half way through replaying Pandora Directive. Unfortunately my
    system
    > went down a while ago, and by the time I`d got it up and running
    again and
    > got things in a reasonable state (this took quite a while) I`d rather
    lost
    > the gist of the plot; so I`m now stuck in a sort of a limbo and I
    don`t
    > fancy starting the game all over again:-)

    I've done that with some games. Annoying, aint it?

    > As for the game navigation - if you press the Right Mouse Button the
    > movement will stop dead. So it`s a combination of mouse and RMB. Hope
    that
    > helps

    Yes, I knew about that, but its moving the mouse around rather than
    point and click is what I don't much care for, and also moving yourself
    up to see into high places and down for low places.
    But you get used to it as the game goes on.

    Mary

PC gaming Games Pandora Video Games