noman

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

The 250+ meg demo came out yesterday. Its installed size is about 150
megs.

The game is rendered in real time, unlike Myst 3 and 4. In that
regards, it's like RealMyst or Uru with one very big difference - its
interface. Its developers, Cyan, have put in three interfaces into
this game. The first one is just like that in the first two Myst
titles. You click in some direction and the point of view moves.
Looking up or down requires single mouse clicks as well. Cyan call
this, the classic interface. With the second interface, you can look
around in any direction without pressing any mouse button and then
click anywhere when you want to move. The game then automatically move
you to the closest 'node' in the direction you clicked. It's somewhat
like Myst4, except that you don't have to press a button to look
around (maybe you didn't need it in Myst 4 as well, I don't remember).
Lastly, there's a full WASD movement interface like RealMyst. In that
mode, the interaction cursor stays in screen centre unless you press
right click which turns off 'mouselook' and frees up the cursor to go
anywhere on screen (similar to System Shock 2). Unfortunately I
couldn't find anyway to invert y-axis when in exploration mode.

Cyan need to be commended for giving gamers so many choices. It really
is in the best interest of both developers and gamers. By the way, the
'jump' command is thankfully omitted from the interface.

Other than that, the gameplay is par for the series. The animation for
the real-time-rendered characters is quite good. Graphics are
excellent, although it may need a decent graphic card (unlike Myst 3
and 4). I'd say, to enjoy its graphics fully, one 'd need at least
Radeon 9600 or GeForce 6200 level card (prices for both start around
$50). These cards will also help with upcoming adventures such as
Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy in US), Dreamfall, Broken Sword 4 etc.

My 2¢
--

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:33:50 -0700, noman <no_m_an@zzzyahoo.yycom>
wrote:

|The 250+ meg demo came out yesterday. Its installed size is about 150
|megs.

Noman, do you have a link for that demo? Thanks.

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:04:52 -0400, Opsimath <castalides@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:33:50 -0700, noman <no_m_an@zzzyahoo.yycom>
>wrote:
>
>|The 250+ meg demo came out yesterday. Its installed size is about 150
>|megs.
>

>Noman, do you have a link for that demo? Thanks.

Try http://www.gamershell.com

By the way, there's a typo in my original post. Installed size is 450
megs.
--

"noman" wrote in news:vf0ng1dmt0s888geooebq5mstgetlkavcq@4ax.com:

> Try http://www.gamershell.com
>
> By the way, there's a typo in my original post.
> Installed size is 450 megs.

Ah. I wondered why the download should be 100MB larger than
the installed game. :)

Rikard

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

noman <no_m_an@zzzyahoo.yycom> wrote in

> [snip]
> By the way, the 'jump' command is thankfully omitted from the interface.

This calls for celebration at the Peterson house tonight!

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray.spamtrap2@shaw.ca

Mary

"Murray Peterson" <mwp@home.com.invalid> wrote in message
> noman <no_m_an@zzzyahoo.yycom> wrote in
>
> > [snip]
> > By the way, the 'jump' command is thankfully omitted from the
interface.

> This calls for celebration at the Peterson house tonight!

Haha. You've made Murray's day. Murray, didn't you say before that you
liked Myst Exile, the best of the Myst games so far? or am I mistaken? I
liked Myst Exile the best by far, because I didn't like the first Myst
and Riven was OK. I didn't play Myst 4.

Mary

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"noman" <no_m_an@zzzyahoo.yycom> wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:04:52 -0400, Opsimath <castalides@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:33:50 -0700, noman <no_m_an@zzzyahoo.yycom>
> >wrote:
> >
> >|The 250+ meg demo came out yesterday. Its installed size is about 150
> >|megs.
> >

> >Noman, do you have a link for that demo? Thanks.
>
> Try http://www.gamershell.com
>
> By the way, there's a typo in my original post. Installed size is 450
> megs.
> --
> Noman

I see that the download is specifically stated as being for PC but I've read
elsewhere that currently there is only a Mac version. Please can you clarify
if this is for Mac-OS or Windows?
TIA,
Nick.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Mary" <no@nothing.com> schreef in bericht
> "Murray Peterson" <mwp@home.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> noman <no_m_an@zzzyahoo.yycom> wrote in

>> This calls for celebration at the Peterson house tonight!

Well a glass of wine will do for me to join the celebration!!
:)
I'll start downloading it right away.........

Barbara

dotcom

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Yes indeed!
Thank you noman!
dot

"Nick" <no_bother@all> schreef in bericht

>> >Noman, do you have a link for that demo? Thanks.
>>
>> Try http://www.gamershell.com
> I see that the download is specifically stated as being for PC but I've
> read
> elsewhere that currently there is only a Mac version. Please can you
> clarify
> if this is for Mac-OS or Windows?
> TIA,
> Nick.

Follow the link Noman gave us ( I thought the same: its only for Mac!) But
you'll see by demos there is also a PC version.......I am from the
Netherlands, but downloaded from the UK download....it works fine!
Good luck........
Question................is there a way to safe in the demo??
Barbara

"Mary" <no@nothing.com> wrote in news:qt6dnU47Pd20fZbeRVn-uw@rogers.com:

> Haha. You've made Murray's day. Murray, didn't you say before that you
> liked Myst Exile, the best of the Myst games so far? or am I mistaken?

I enjoyed all three (Myst, Riven, and Exile), but on reflection, I would
have to call Riven the best of the three. The sheer difficulty of some of
Riven's puzzles was a problem for me, but it was still a great game.

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray.spamtrap2@shaw.ca

dotcom

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

My sentiments exactly!
dot

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:50:13 +0100, "Nick" <no_bother@all> wrote:

>I see that the download is specifically stated as being for PC but I've read
>elsewhere that currently there is only a Mac version. Please can you clarify
>if this is for Mac-OS or Windows?

I can tell you that is works for winxp but don't remember to see a mac
version. But the release will also be for the mac.

--
Sven Teirlinck

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

I downloaded the demo and it loads a Java runtime environment then
installshield wizard (the bar fills a total of about ten times quickly),
then there's a blank "installer" window up for the longest time, (sometimes
it will show up asking me to choose a language) then I get a large screen
that is blank gray. Nothing seems to happen. There was one time I somehow
glitched a corner of it and game art actually showed up in the dead corner
of the window.

I downloaded the latest java updates from the Sun site, but that doesn't
seem to help. Anyone know what's going on?

Jason Travis wrote:
> I downloaded the demo and it loads a Java runtime environment then
> installshield wizard (the bar fills a total of about ten times quickly),
> then there's a blank "installer" window up for the longest time, (sometimes
> it will show up asking me to choose a language) then I get a large screen
> that is blank gray. Nothing seems to happen. There was one time I somehow
> glitched a corner of it and game art actually showed up in the dead corner
> of the window.
>
> I downloaded the latest java updates from the Sun site, but that doesn't
> seem to help. Anyone know what's going on?

I had it loading that Java thing too. Never saw that in a
game install before. There were also delays where it didn't
seem to be doing anything - on a 3.2 GHz computer it had
lags like that.
It did eventually install. When I tried to start it I'd get
a menu screen, then click the Play button, then nothing.
For a split second, it looked like it was about to start,
then nothing. I tried running it directly from the aoe.exe
file in the Demo folder. Same deal - a flicker of the screen
then back to the desktop.

I got disgusted and uninstalled it.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

> Jason Travis wrote:
>> I downloaded the demo and it loads a Java runtime environment then
>> installshield wizard (the bar fills a total of about ten times quickly),
>> then there's a blank "installer" window up for the longest time,
>> (sometimes it will show up asking me to choose a language) then I get a
>> large screen that is blank gray. Nothing seems to happen. There was one
>> time I somehow glitched a corner of it and game art actually showed up in
>> the dead corner of the window.
>>
>> I downloaded the latest java updates from the Sun site, but that doesn't
>> seem to help. Anyone know what's going on?
>>

> I had it loading that Java thing too. Never saw that in a
> game install before. There were also delays where it didn't
> seem to be doing anything - on a 3.2 GHz computer it had
> lags like that.
> It did eventually install. When I tried to start it I'd get
> a menu screen, then click the Play button, then nothing.
> For a split second, it looked like it was about to start,
> then nothing. I tried running it directly from the aoe.exe
> file in the Demo folder. Same deal - a flicker of the screen
> then back to the desktop.
>
> I got disgusted and uninstalled it.

I *finally* got it to work ... apparently the java buttons were there but
the picture wasn't being displayed. I clicked around for about an hour and
got it to progress through the install by guessing where the options were.
Perhaps that's part of the plot...the whole game is a puzzle to make work.
(eyeroll)