The Adventure Company

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

I looked at a game being marketed by TAC called 'Ralms of Illusion'.
This is the game description:
Product Description
The legacy of the Tastan tombs has long held some of the most profound
secrets of an extinct race of people. Some believe the tombs hold a
fabulous treasure; others say wealth is in the knowledge and
technology left behind by this advanced civilization. Watching over
their sacred caverns is a holographic image with advanced A.I. who
randomly appears in the form of a mysterious woman, awakened when
there is disturbance in the tombs. You will soon discover that in the
realm of illusion, the sentinel is much more than she appears to be –
her dark purpose might threaten your very existence.

Doesn't that sound exactly like 'Sentinel: Descendants in Time'? What
is going on? If this is the same game, why does TAC do this?

"Opsimath" wrote:
> I looked at a game being marketed by TAC called 'Realms of Illusion'.
> This is the game description:<snipped>

> Doesn't that sound exactly like 'Sentinel: Descendants in Time'?

It is the same game , just renamed. Therefore, "Sentinel: Descendants in
Time" = "Realms of Illusion".

> What is going on? If this is the same game, why does TAC do this?

To try and fool us into buying two copies of the same game, or maybe find
new gaming customers that like the new name better.

Mark

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"MP" <markparrish@mindspring.com> wrote in

> "Opsimath" wrote:
>> I looked at a game being marketed by TAC called 'Realms of
>> Illusion'. This is the game description:<snipped>
>
>> Doesn't that sound exactly like 'Sentinel: Descendants in
>> Time'?
>
> It is the same game , just renamed. Therefore, "Sentinel:
> Descendants in Time" = "Realms of Illusion".
>
>> What is going on? If this is the same game, why does TAC
>> do this?
>
> To try and fool us into buying two copies of the same game,
> or maybe find new gaming customers that like the new name
> better.
>
> Mark

Is it available under the new title in the same countries, or
is this just the name used in another country? e.g. Cydonia in
the UK was called something entirely different for the US
release.

On 27 Aug 2005 15:31:02 GMT, Lithurge <bogorfspam@bogoff.net> wrote:

|"MP" <markparrish@mindspring.com> wrote in

|> "Opsimath" wrote:
|>> I looked at a game being marketed by TAC called 'Realms of
|>> Illusion'. This is the game description:<snipped>
|>
|>> Doesn't that sound exactly like 'Sentinel: Descendants in
|>> Time'?
(snipped)

|Is it available under the new title in the same countries, or
|is this just the name used in another country? e.g. Cydonia in
|the UK was called something entirely different for the US
|release.

I am in the US and it is being sold here under both titles. Leaves me
feeling the way I do when I buy a paperback book with a title
different from the hard cover book I've already read - and with no
indication from the publisher that it is the same.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Opsimath <castalides@yahoo.com> wrote in

> On 27 Aug 2005 15:31:02 GMT, Lithurge
> <bogorfspam@bogoff.net> wrote:
>
>|"MP" <markparrish@mindspring.com> wrote in

> (snipped)
>|
>|Is it available under the new title in the same countries,
>|or is this just the name used in another country? e.g.
>|Cydonia in the UK was called something entirely different
>|for the US release.
>
> I am in the US and it is being sold here under both titles.
> Leaves me feeling the way I do when I buy a paperback book
> with a title different from the hard cover book I've
> already read - and with no indication from the publisher
> that it is the same.

That is somewhat poor behaviour on their part.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On 27 Aug 2005 17:28:44 GMT, Lithurge <bogorfspam@bogoff.net> wrote:
(snipped)

|That is somewhat poor behaviour on their part.

Just now came across the same thing. TAC is now marketing The Dark
Side of the Moon as an adventure called Voyage. Same company, same
game, same country, same wallets. 'nuff said.

Opsimath wrote:
> Just now came across the same thing. TAC is now marketing The Dark
> Side of the Moon as an adventure called Voyage. Same company, same
> game, same country, same wallets. 'nuff said.

No. I played The Dark Side of the Moon (
http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/DSOM/DSOM_Review.shtm )
many years ago (one of my favorite games) and I just read the
description and viewed the screenshots of Voyage - A History of the
Selenites ( http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,559/ ).
The two games have nothing in common (except being adventure games).

Volker

Here, Volker Blasius <nomail@invalid> wrote:
> Opsimath wrote:
> > Just now came across the same thing. TAC is now marketing The Dark
> > Side of the Moon as an adventure called Voyage. Same company, same
> > game, same country, same wallets. 'nuff said.
>
> No. I played The Dark Side of the Moon (
> http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/DSOM/DSOM_Review.shtm )
> many years ago (one of my favorite games) and I just read the
> description and viewed the screenshots of Voyage - A History of the
> Selenites ( http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,559/ ).
> The two games have nothing in common (except being adventure games).

"Voyage" is, however, the game that TAC originally announced as
"Journey to the Center of the Moon".

(Not that I have a problem with them changing the name of a game
*before* its release. But they do, this case aside, frequently release
a game under two titles. Even within the same country.)

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in

> Here, Volker Blasius <nomail@invalid> wrote:
>> Opsimath wrote:
>> > Just now came across the same thing. TAC is now
>> > marketing The Dark Side of the Moon as an adventure
>> > called Voyage. Same company, same game, same country,
>> > same wallets. 'nuff said.
>>
>> No. I played The Dark Side of the Moon (
>> http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/DSOM/DSOM_Review.shtm
>> ) many years ago (one of my favorite games) and I just
>> read the description and viewed the screenshots of Voyage
>> - A History of the Selenites (
>> http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,559/ ). The two
>> games have nothing in common (except being adventure
>> games).
>
> "Voyage" is, however, the game that TAC originally
> announced as "Journey to the Center of the Moon".
>
> (Not that I have a problem with them changing the name of a
> game *before* its release. But they do, this case aside,
> frequently release a game under two titles. Even within the
> same country.)
>
> --Z

They do actually mention on their website that Realms of
Illusion was originally releases as something else.

It's just in very very small text at the bottom of the page,
with no reason as to why they've actually re-released it under
another name.

The developers page, linked by them, still has the original
name.

Andrew Plotkin wrote:
> Here, Volker Blasius <nomail@invalid> wrote:
>
>>Opsimath wrote:
>>
>>>Just now came across the same thing. TAC is now marketing The Dark
>>>Side of the Moon as an adventure called Voyage. Same company, same
>>>game, same country, same wallets. 'nuff said.
>>
>>No. I played The Dark Side of the Moon (
>>http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/DSOM/DSOM_Review.shtm )
>>many years ago (one of my favorite games) and I just read the
>>description and viewed the screenshots of Voyage - A History of the
>>Selenites ( http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,559/ ).
>>The two games have nothing in common (except being adventure games).
>

> "Voyage" is, however, the game that TAC originally announced as
> "Journey to the Center of the Moon".
>
> (Not that I have a problem with them changing the name of a game
> *before* its release. But they do, this case aside, frequently release
> a game under two titles. Even within the same country.)

Have you tried Voyage yet?
I'm not far into it, but so far it is a lot of fun (except for
one timed sequence that should have been omitted)
And it doesn't require you to have a CD in the drive to play,
which is always a good thing.

Opsimath wrote:
> On 27 Aug 2005 15:31:02 GMT, Lithurge <bogorfspam@bogoff.net> wrote:
>
> |"MP" <markparrish@mindspring.com> wrote in

> (snipped)
> I am in the US and it is being sold here under both titles. Leaves me
> feeling the way I do when I buy a paperback book with a title
> different from the hard cover book I've already read - and with no
> indication from the publisher that it is the same.

On the back of the "Realms of Illusion" box (that I bought) it
says that it was previously marketed as "Sentinel ...". Inside, there's
a form to send in so that if you accidentally bought both you can get
a refund (or maybe an alternate TAC title, I forget).
--
David Adrien Tanguay