v505 Networks

Last response: in Brands
Share
October 31, 2004 8:12:23 PM

Greetigs - I just purchased a v505 phone with AT&T service. When working
out of my home, I struggle with catching a reliable AT&T signal, but the
Cingular strength is good.

I can register the phone with Cingular and it generally stays registered on
that network for the call, but tends to go back to AT&T. It's becoming a
real pain to keep switching it manually, especially considering half the
time when searching for networks, the phone comes back with "network busy".

I don't see it in the menus, but is there a way to force the phone to
Cingular or AT&T? TIA!

Ryan

More about : v505 networks

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 9:11:07 PM

I've had this same issue with all the phones I've owned on the ATT
network for the past 6 or so months when I was living in a certain
location which had quite a bit of hills and buildings to block
signals. For me the issue existed in an mpx200 and a SE T637. I now
own a V505 and I get the problem in certain places as you just
desribed here. I haven't been able to find a solution, other than to
manually switch to the network proving the stronger signal each time
you want to make a call. Or to leave the place the problems occur at.
If you ask ATT They most likely will not have much to say to you other
than what I just said. They will ask you where you live and if there
are arial obstructions and so on.. and that it is most likely why you
get the problem, they may also say to you that the ATT signal may be
weak in the area and that the Cingular signal is stronger, in my mind,
this all may be happening for the most part due to constant variance
in air signal activity.. perhaps constant uncontrollable distortions -
given out either by other devices, or utility lines, or who knows
what?...

Good luck, don't pull your hairs out - maybe if you walked 30 seconds
in a certain direction it may not be so bad :)  or if maybe exiting the
building/area.

> Greetigs - I just purchased a v505 phone with AT&T service. When working
> out of my home, I struggle with catching a reliable AT&T signal, but the
> Cingular strength is good.
>
> I can register the phone with Cingular and it generally stays registered on
> that network for the call, but tends to go back to AT&T. It's becoming a
> real pain to keep switching it manually, especially considering half the
> time when searching for networks, the phone comes back with "network busy".
>
> I don't see it in the menus, but is there a way to force the phone to
> Cingular or AT&T? TIA!
>
> Ryan
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 1:10:53 AM

"dazed" <dazed@confused.org> wrote in message
> Greetigs - I just purchased a v505 phone with AT&T service. When working
> out of my home, I struggle with catching a reliable AT&T signal, but the
> Cingular strength is good.
>
> I can register the phone with Cingular and it generally stays registered
> on that network for the call, but tends to go back to AT&T. It's becoming
> a real pain to keep switching it manually, especially considering half the
> time when searching for networks, the phone comes back with "network
> busy".
>
> I don't see it in the menus, but is there a way to force the phone to
> Cingular or AT&T? TIA!

Note the name of this newsgroup! ALT.CELLULAR.MOTOROLA....Not cingular, or
AT&T!
November 1, 2004 10:16:15 AM

> > Greetigs - I just purchased a v505 phone with AT&T service. When working
> > out of my home, I struggle with catching a reliable AT&T signal, but the
> > Cingular strength is good.
> >
> > I can register the phone with Cingular and it generally stays registered
> > on that network for the call, but tends to go back to AT&T. It's becoming
> > a real pain to keep switching it manually, especially considering half the
> > time when searching for networks, the phone comes back with "network
> > busy".
> >
> > I don't see it in the menus, but is there a way to force the phone to
> > Cingular or AT&T? TIA!
>
> Note the name of this newsgroup! ALT.CELLULAR.MOTOROLA....Not cingular, or
> AT&T!

NOTE the fact that he is having these issues with a motorola phone.
Not all people are cellular wizards and know that sometimes their
reception issues are not phone induced but caused due to other
reasons. Give him a break Bob.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 11:15:18 PM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <X19hd.33783$EI6.26640@fe2.texas.rr.com> on Sun, 31 Oct 2004 17:12:23 GMT,
"dazed" <dazed@confused.org> wrote:

>Greetigs - I just purchased a v505 phone with AT&T service. When working
>out of my home, I struggle with catching a reliable AT&T signal, but the
>Cingular strength is good.
>
>I can register the phone with Cingular and it generally stays registered on
>that network for the call, but tends to go back to AT&T. It's becoming a
>real pain to keep switching it manually, especially considering half the
>time when searching for networks, the phone comes back with "network busy".
>
>I don't see it in the menus, but is there a way to force the phone to
>Cingular or AT&T? TIA!

This is due to the programming on your ATTWS SIM, which is out of your
control, not the phone itself. That programming tells the phone to use the
ATTWS network when it's available, no matter if Cingular has a better signal.

I expect this to change in the relatively near future as Cingular integrates
the two networks. Until then you're only solutions are (a) what you're doing
now or (b) switch to Cingular (although you might lose use of ATTWS in the
short term).

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;

John - thanks for the clarification. Looks like I'm stuck b/t a rock and a
hard place on this one. Makes me wonder whether or not I should have gone
with Verizon.

In any event, I've heard that on the Moto phones with the stub antenna, you
could find replacement retractable antennas that may give you an extra bar
of signal strength. Do you know if there's any truth (or value) to that
statement? Thanks!

Ryan

!