Connect two separate LANs

RamG

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I need a cheap router that can route between two ranges.

10.10.6.x
and
10.10.7.x

I don't want to use a PC with two network cards....I just need something cheap and simple.

I was wondering whether any low to mid end consumer routers allows you to assign IP addresses for ethernet slots, or even create VLANs..?

Ideally the interfaces would be separate, like on a usual Cisco router etc, but this is just a cheap solution required.

All the machines on the 10.10.6.x need to communicate with 10.10.7.x and vici versa

Solution
Sorry for the long delay.

Commercial routers tend to be very pricey unless you are a good sized business.
Your best bet is used equipment..you can get it from certified resellers if you need to put it on service agreements.

If you can live without NAT something a layer 3 switch like a cisco 3550 gives you 24 ports with the ability to run as many networks as you like. You should be able to find one for less than $100. The current models are 3560.

If you need nat you are most likely going to have to buy a switch and a router since even most cisco routers only have 2 ethernet ports. Something like a 1841 running vlan trunks to a switch.

RamG

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
thanks bill, if you had to recommend a commercial grade router. which is a good one, low end of commercial grade.

Sorry for the long delay.

Commercial routers tend to be very pricey unless you are a good sized business.
Your best bet is used equipment..you can get it from certified resellers if you need to put it on service agreements.

If you can live without NAT something a layer 3 switch like a cisco 3550 gives you 24 ports with the ability to run as many networks as you like. You should be able to find one for less than $100. The current models are 3560.

If you need nat you are most likely going to have to buy a switch and a router since even most cisco routers only have 2 ethernet ports. Something like a 1841 running vlan trunks to a switch.

Solution

RamG

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Hi Bill,

Just one more question, will a soho router running dd wrt suffice ?