How to change network type in win 7

sgb02

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

This does not work. On my Win 7 machine, my network says HOME, but the node type is Peer-Peer - which is incorrect and does not allow me to see other Win XP machines on the network. It should be Broadcast.

How do I use the Win 7 standard Network Control Panels to get the node type to become Broadcast?

I know how to change it by editing the registry, but that seems like a hack. What is the correct way to setup the node type using the provided Network Control Panels GUI?

sgb02

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

This does not work. On my Win 7 machine, my network says HOME, but the node type is Peer-Peer - which is incorrect and does not allow me to see other Win XP machines on the network. It should be Broadcast.

How do I use the Win 7 standard Network Control Panels to get the node type to become Broadcast?

I know how to change it by editing the registry, but that seems like a hack. What is the correct way to setup the node type using the provided Network Control Panels GUI?

I don't regard editing the Registry as a hack in these circumstances - mainly because I can't think of a GUI setting you could change. I'm not at a W7 machine at the moment and could be wrong but go into the Registry, make a backup from the File>Export menu and note where you put it. Then,. navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters
and delete the DhcpNodeType value if it’s there. That, after a restart, should be sufficient but if it's not, post back - you may need to create that DWord and add a setting or two.