Indie / Freeware Adventures

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Can you guys make any recommendations and/or links to some independent
and/or freeware adventures in the Lucas Arts or old school Sierra
style? I seem to recall that there are quite a few adventure-maker
tools out there and have been out for a while so I'd be surprised if no
one has used them to make something interesting.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"knight37" wrote in

> Can you guys make any recommendations and/or links to some
> independent and/or freeware adventures in the Lucas Arts or old
> school Sierra style? I seem to recall that there are quite a few
> adventure-maker tools out there and have been out for a while so
> I'd be surprised if no one has used them to make something
> interesting.

I'm unfortunately not a capable reviewer, or I'd written some reviews,
but here are some personal favourites of mine:

Out of Order
http://outoforder.adventuredevelopers.com/

Funny, has decent graphics and a good soundtrack. Puzzles are varied
and interesting (if maybe a bit on the difficult side), and it's longer
than most freeware games.

Apprentice 1 & 2 (probably 3 too, when they finish the trilogy)
http://herculeaneffort.adventuredevelopers.com/apprentice.html

Very good music and graphics (low res, but still good). Also fun.

Cubert Badbone, PI
http://cubert.deirdrakiai.com/

This one has a unique style, and once again plenty of humour. The
website almost suffers from Mystery Meat Flash Disorder, but don't let
that stop you.

The Nick Bounty Games
http://www.pinheadgames.com/

Another detective in black and white. Case of the Crabs and Goat in the
Grey Fedora are two flash games (with downloadable versions if you
prefer) that are short, easy and fun.

The Breakdown
http://thebreakdown.adventuredevelopers.com/

Small game, silly plot, good graphics. Fun.

5 Days a Stranger
http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/

A game that's not comedy first. I didn't like the ending, but there is
a lot to like about this well done game.

Rikard

knight37 wrote:
> Can you guys make any recommendations and/or links to some independent
> and/or freeware adventures in the Lucas Arts or old school Sierra
> style? I seem to recall that there are quite a few adventure-maker
> tools out there and have been out for a while so I'd be surprised if no
> one has used them to make something interesting.

"Jessica Plunkenstein and the Düsseldorf Conspiracy" seems to
be getting some good press.
http://www.gregames.net/

"Cirque de Zale"
http://www.bigbluecup.com/games.php?action=detail&id=377

"Five Magical Amulets" - a fairy tale type game
http://offstudio.fabry.cz/index3.html

"The White Chamber" is an anime style game. Not for kids.
http://www.studiotrophis.com/wc.php

I think these are all free, but some have large downloads.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Most of the games Rikard mentioned can be downloaded from links in The
Underdogs site Adventure Games section. There were some other good
freeware games there too. I sort of liked the Calsoon games.

Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>"knight37" wrote in
>
>> Can you guys make any recommendations and/or links to some
>> independent and/or freeware adventures in the Lucas Arts or old
>> school Sierra style? I seem to recall that there are quite a few
>> adventure-maker tools out there and have been out for a while so
>> I'd be surprised if no one has used them to make something
>> interesting.
>
>I'm unfortunately not a capable reviewer, or I'd written some reviews,
>but here are some personal favourites of mine:
>

>Out of Order
>http://outoforder.adventuredevelopers.com/
>
>Funny, has decent graphics and a good soundtrack. Puzzles are varied
>and interesting (if maybe a bit on the difficult side), and it's longer
>than most freeware games.
>

>Apprentice 1 & 2 (probably 3 too, when they finish the trilogy)
>http://herculeaneffort.adventuredevelopers.com/apprentice.html
>
>Very good music and graphics (low res, but still good). Also fun.
>

>Cubert Badbone, PI
>http://cubert.deirdrakiai.com/
>
>This one has a unique style, and once again plenty of humour. The
>website almost suffers from Mystery Meat Flash Disorder, but don't let
>that stop you.
>

>The Nick Bounty Games
>http://www.pinheadgames.com/
>
>Another detective in black and white. Case of the Crabs and Goat in the
>Grey Fedora are two flash games (with downloadable versions if you
>prefer) that are short, easy and fun.
>

>The Breakdown
>http://thebreakdown.adventuredevelopers.com/
>
>Small game, silly plot, good graphics. Fun.
>

>5 Days a Stranger
>http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/
>
>A game that's not comedy first. I didn't like the ending, but there is
>a lot to like about this well done game.

Yep it's great. You forgot http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/
It's got some kick ass games.

"Bateau" wrote in news:cvo2i1hmkf14vbutk91cm808g2te93i5vk@4ax.com:

> You forgot http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/
> It's got some kick ass games.

I didn't really forget about it - I just listed some of my favourite
games. I did mention Apprentice and 5 Days a Stranger, which are both
made with AGS. I'd be interested to hear which your recommended "kick
ass games" are, though.

Here are some other relevant sites, btw:

* http://www.adventuredevelopers.com/ has a database with games.
* http://diygames.com/ has a regular column "Independent Adventuring"
that gives a good monthly roundup of what's been happening. (DIY Games
hasn't been updating for a while, but I've been told that's beacuse
only one person can update the site and he's on vacation. There are
articles just waiting to be uploaded.)
* http://www.quandaryland.com/ has a "Free Fun" category - a list of
free games, and they also have reviews for a couple of them.
* The big sites also have an eye open to the small games:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/underground/index.php and
http://www.justadventure.com/

And the separate game engines has their lists, too, as Bateau pointed
out

Rikard

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

djin typed:
> "The White Chamber" is an anime style game. Not for kids.
> http://www.studiotrophis.com/wc.php

Damn, that looks nice! ;> (LOL) I'm getting it! ;) (306mb on
dial-up, should only take me a week...)

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

>> "The White Chamber" is an anime style game. Not for kids.
>> http://www.studiotrophis.com/wc.php
>
> Damn, that looks nice! ;> (LOL) I'm getting it! ;) (306mb on
> dial-up, should only take me a week...)

If it makes you feel any better, I thought the same, and even though
I've got broadband, it's downloading at dial-up speeds. Guess the
bandwidth's capped. Maybe I should have used my Linux install to
download it - I think there's a bittorrent client in there somewhere.

CK

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:54:58 -0400, don <don@no.spam> wrote:

>Most of the games Rikard mentioned can be downloaded from links in The
>Underdogs site Adventure Games section. There were some other good
>freeware games there too. I sort of liked the Calsoon games.

true, but downloading from the Underdogs lately is like having teeth
pulled.. bad

toadie

knight37 wrote:
> Can you guys make any recommendations and/or links to some independent
> and/or freeware adventures in the Lucas Arts or old school Sierra
> style? I seem to recall that there are quite a few adventure-maker
> tools out there and have been out for a while so I'd be surprised if no
> one has used them to make something interesting.

http://www.monochrom.at/sowjet-unterzoegersdorf/

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

toadie05@sbcglobal.net wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:54:58 -0400, don <don@no.spam> wrote:
>
> >Most of the games Rikard mentioned can be downloaded from links in The
> >Underdogs site Adventure Games section.

> true, but downloading from the Underdogs lately is like having teeth
> pulled.. bad

I don't think any of the freeware games download directly from their
site. The links usually refer you to the game's own site or another
site that has the game on it. It's just a convenient place to get links
to all the various games instead of going to each game's site
individually.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Werner Punz wrote:

> http://www.monochrom.at/sowjet-unterzoegersdorf/

This game was just advertised in another newsgroup. Is it any good?

don wrote:

> Werner Punz wrote:
>

>>http://www.monochrom.at/sowjet-unterzoegersdorf/
> This game was just advertised in another newsgroup. Is it any good?

Very funny... but I am not sure if you can get some of the jokes
if you are not Austrian, part of the really weird humor is from the
fact that the area really exists, it just is not communistic, but
it is sort of backcountry (hick country), where nothing really exists
than farms.
Anyway I really can recommend it, a good example of really black
weird austrian humor (which is very close to english humor
but on the more sarcastic and weird side of things)

It even starts with being entirely in russian with english or german
subtitles and this weird humor goes way through the game.
Since I am not very far yet I cannot really comment on the game quality.

Werner

don wrote:

> Werner Punz wrote:
>

>>http://www.monochrom.at/sowjet-unterzoegersdorf/
>

> This game was just advertised in another newsgroup. Is it any good?

Ok I am done with it, a very funny and well made game, is is also very
easy, but unfortunately very short as well because it is only the first
of three parts.
I really can recommend it.. it is one of the funniest games which I have
played in a long time.

knight37 wrote:
> Can you guys make any recommendations and/or links to some independent
> and/or freeware adventures in the Lucas Arts or old school Sierra
> style? I seem to recall that there are quite a few adventure-maker
> tools out there and have been out for a while so I'd be surprised if no
> one has used them to make something interesting.

http://www.absurdus.net/
eye of the kraken is now freeware as well, I have played the pay
version, good game

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>"Bateau" wrote in news:cvo2i1hmkf14vbutk91cm808g2te93i5vk@4ax.com:
>
>> You forgot http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/
>> It's got some kick ass games.
>
>I didn't really forget about it - I just listed some of my favourite
>games. I did mention Apprentice and 5 Days a Stranger, which are both
>made with AGS. I'd be interested to hear which your recommended "kick
>ass games" are, though.

5 Days a Stranger is what made me think of the site :p
I like games that tell a good story and aren't very difficult.