Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 freezes, can move the cursor but can't click on anything?

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
May 11, 2012 3:33:01 PM

I can still hear the sound (I was listening to music on iTunes the first time and the second time I was watching a movie on VLC)
ctrl+alt+del works, (when I choose cancel, the screen goes blank)
I can log off and everything's fine when I log back in.
This happened twice within past two hours... when I was listening to music and watching movie in the background... and it happened when I was typing details of a mp3 file's properties...
May 19, 2012 4:47:47 AM

Is this a laptop and do you have the FN key for graphics switch to external monitor ? Make sure you don't hit the combo if yes. Otherwise, you're either overloading the system or graphics card is cooking. Do you overclock ? I have no details to work with.
m
0
l
May 19, 2012 7:32:19 AM

It's PC. I use turbo mode from TuneUp Utilities software. Is that count as overclocking? I stopped that and it seems to be working fine now...
At least that's what I think it is. I checked my GPU temperature and it's around 55C. It's normal, right? I'm not sure if I'm overloading the system. Memory is usually around 1.2 GB and CPU is 12% to 22% when I'm running a lot of programs. My memory is 4GB. CPU is Quad Core 2.5 GHz. Thank you for the help.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 19, 2012 7:34:42 AM

Cyberat_88 said:
Is this a laptop and do you have the FN key for graphics switch to external monitor ? Make sure you don't hit the combo if yes. Otherwise, you're either overloading the system or graphics card is cooking. Do you overclock ? I have no details to work with.


It's PC. I use turbo mode from TuneUp Utilities software. Is that count as overclocking? I stopped that and it seems to be working fine now...
At least that's what I think it is. I checked my GPU temperature and it's around 55C. It's normal, right? I'm not sure if I'm overloading the system. Memory is usually around 1.2 GB and CPU is 12% to 22% when I'm running a lot of programs. My memory is 4GB. CPU is Quad Core 2.5 GHz. Thank you for the help.
m
0
l
May 31, 2012 2:02:51 AM

Don't run "tuneups" they are Overclocking and they are dangerous in overriding the drivers and how they work, making your system unstable.
What did you wish to accomplish by Turbo mode ? 55C is above 131F, it's EXTREME overheating, I am surprised you did not FRY your video card. What kind of cooling does it have, what is your idle temp without the overclocking ?
m
0
l
May 31, 2012 10:41:32 AM

Cyberat_88 said:
Don't run "tuneups" they are Overclocking and they are dangerous in overriding the drivers and how they work, making your system unstable.
What did you wish to accomplish by Turbo mode ? 55C is above 131F, it's EXTREME overheating, I am surprised you did not FRY your video card. What kind of cooling does it have, what is your idle temp without the overclocking ?



I use Turbo Mode when I watch videos or play games. I stopped using it as soon as I saw your post. It's very warm where I live. The room temperature is usually above 33C and that's considered cool weather here. Idle temp is 53C.
I'm not sure about the cooling system. Sorry but I really suck when it comes to hardware.
I switched to Avast free anti-virus like a week ago. I was using Kaspersky earlier but my license expired...
I scanned the whole computer with Avast and found some virus. They couldn't be repaired so I deleted all of them.
My PC's working fine after that but if I'm overheating, I really want to know more on that subject too.
Thank you so much :) 
m
0
l

Best solution

June 1, 2012 10:31:27 PM

So it only dropped 2C from stopping turbo mode ? I suggest you invest in a good liquid cooling system that covers the chipset and maybe ram extensions. Do you have AMD or NVidia ? Do you have the native software on overclocking gpu speed and clock ? Turn that off if yes. You can run the fan on gpu 100% all the time, same for cpu. Overclocking is usually performed on CPU from Bios, by upping the bus frequency, voltage and multiplier, in any and all combination. I want my PC to last me many years so I never do it. Playing videos does not require a P4 processor even.
As for anti-virus it gets complicated, AVG got hacked and now many sites have a virus that dismantles it on contact. Avast is good if you don't do any gaming, for me it was a big problem even though I don't play the latest games, it caused delays and glitches I did not have before, I think Comodo has the same problem but you can try that one if you do.
McAfee has a free virus remover - Avert Stinger, but it's only good for running scans. Guess who writes the majority of alerting virii that are basically passive (nothing doing but attach to files and alert system) ? The anti-virus companies. As for FREE software... you get what you pay for, although I would never install Norton on my systems again, only for bloatware. I am using McAfee cause it came with my system and still active. After that I'll have to do another research.
Share
June 9, 2012 6:50:54 AM

Cyberat_88 said:
So it only dropped 2C from stopping turbo mode ? I suggest you invest in a good liquid cooling system that covers the chipset and maybe ram extensions. Do you have AMD or NVidia ? Do you have the native software on overclocking gpu speed and clock ? Turn that off if yes. You can run the fan on gpu 100% all the time, same for cpu. Overclocking is usually performed on CPU from Bios, by upping the bus frequency, voltage and multiplier, in any and all combination. I want my PC to last me many years so I never do it. Playing videos does not require a P4 processor even.
As for anti-virus it gets complicated, AVG got hacked and now many sites have a virus that dismantles it on contact. Avast is good if you don't do any gaming, for me it was a big problem even though I don't play the latest games, it caused delays and glitches I did not have before, I think Comodo has the same problem but you can try that one if you do.
McAfee has a free virus remover - Avert Stinger, but it's only good for running scans. Guess who writes the majority of alerting virii that are basically passive (nothing doing but attach to files and alert system) ? The anti-virus companies. As for FREE software... you get what you pay for, although I would never install Norton on my systems again, only for bloatware. I am using McAfee cause it came with my system and still active. After that I'll have to do another research.


I use Comodo on my laptop. It's good. Thank you so much for the detailed answer... It's NVidia and I will look into quid cooling system. Thank you again...
m
0
l
June 9, 2012 6:51:19 AM

Best answer selected by DarkForest.
m
0
l
!