Windows 7 freezes, can move the cursor but can't click on anything?

DarkForest

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I can still hear the sound (I was listening to music on iTunes the first time and the second time I was watching a movie on VLC)
ctrl+alt+del works, (when I choose cancel, the screen goes blank)
I can log off and everything's fine when I log back in.
This happened twice within past two hours... when I was listening to music and watching movie in the background... and it happened when I was typing details of a mp3 file's properties...

Solution
So it only dropped 2C from stopping turbo mode ? I suggest you invest in a good liquid cooling system that covers the chipset and maybe ram extensions. Do you have AMD or NVidia ? Do you have the native software on overclocking gpu speed and clock ? Turn that off if yes. You can run the fan on gpu 100% all the time, same for cpu. Overclocking is usually performed on CPU from Bios, by upping the bus frequency, voltage and multiplier, in any and all combination. I want my PC to last me many years so I never do it. Playing videos does not require a P4 processor even.
As for anti-virus it gets complicated, AVG got hacked and now many sites have a virus that dismantles it on contact. Avast is good if you don't do any gaming, for me it was a...

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Is this a laptop and do you have the FN key for graphics switch to external monitor ? Make sure you don't hit the combo if yes. Otherwise, you're either overloading the system or graphics card is cooking. Do you overclock ? I have no details to work with.

DarkForest

Honorable
May 11, 2012
It's PC. I use turbo mode from TuneUp Utilities software. Is that count as overclocking? I stopped that and it seems to be working fine now...
At least that's what I think it is. I checked my GPU temperature and it's around 55C. It's normal, right? I'm not sure if I'm overloading the system. Memory is usually around 1.2 GB and CPU is 12% to 22% when I'm running a lot of programs. My memory is 4GB. CPU is Quad Core 2.5 GHz. Thank you for the help.

DarkForest

Honorable
May 11, 2012

It's PC. I use turbo mode from TuneUp Utilities software. Is that count as overclocking? I stopped that and it seems to be working fine now...
At least that's what I think it is. I checked my GPU temperature and it's around 55C. It's normal, right? I'm not sure if I'm overloading the system. Memory is usually around 1.2 GB and CPU is 12% to 22% when I'm running a lot of programs. My memory is 4GB. CPU is Quad Core 2.5 GHz. Thank you for the help.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Don't run "tuneups" they are Overclocking and they are dangerous in overriding the drivers and how they work, making your system unstable.
What did you wish to accomplish by Turbo mode ? 55C is above 131F, it's EXTREME overheating, I am surprised you did not FRY your video card. What kind of cooling does it have, what is your idle temp without the overclocking ?

DarkForest

Honorable
May 11, 2012

I use Turbo Mode when I watch videos or play games. I stopped using it as soon as I saw your post. It's very warm where I live. The room temperature is usually above 33C and that's considered cool weather here. Idle temp is 53C.
I'm not sure about the cooling system. Sorry but I really suck when it comes to hardware.
I switched to Avast free anti-virus like a week ago. I was using Kaspersky earlier but my license expired...
I scanned the whole computer with Avast and found some virus. They couldn't be repaired so I deleted all of them.
My PC's working fine after that but if I'm overheating, I really want to know more on that subject too.
Thank you so much :)

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
So it only dropped 2C from stopping turbo mode ? I suggest you invest in a good liquid cooling system that covers the chipset and maybe ram extensions. Do you have AMD or NVidia ? Do you have the native software on overclocking gpu speed and clock ? Turn that off if yes. You can run the fan on gpu 100% all the time, same for cpu. Overclocking is usually performed on CPU from Bios, by upping the bus frequency, voltage and multiplier, in any and all combination. I want my PC to last me many years so I never do it. Playing videos does not require a P4 processor even.
As for anti-virus it gets complicated, AVG got hacked and now many sites have a virus that dismantles it on contact. Avast is good if you don't do any gaming, for me it was a big problem even though I don't play the latest games, it caused delays and glitches I did not have before, I think Comodo has the same problem but you can try that one if you do.
McAfee has a free virus remover - Avert Stinger, but it's only good for running scans. Guess who writes the majority of alerting virii that are basically passive (nothing doing but attach to files and alert system) ? The anti-virus companies. As for FREE software... you get what you pay for, although I would never install Norton on my systems again, only for bloatware. I am using McAfee cause it came with my system and still active. After that I'll have to do another research.

Solution

DarkForest

Honorable
May 11, 2012

I use Comodo on my laptop. It's good. Thank you so much for the detailed answer... It's NVidia and I will look into quid cooling system. Thank you again...