Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Slipstreaming more than SP1

Last response: in Windows 7
May 11, 2012 4:29:19 PM

Hail all:

I am a pro-hobbyist, who installs systems for the less fortunate.
I own a multi-install license, but...

I do like 5 to 20 computers a month, all with different hardware.
Installing is not so the problem, updating however is.
I have been looking myself silly for a specific problem, but I cannot find any info on this matter.

I want to make a 'Full-Updated Win 7 Ultimate' install dvd, that has actually EVERY possible update out.
Can this be done, and if so yes, where do I get all the updates?

Thank you very much.

PS: this is my first slipstream ever, it's driving me insane, and have a massive headache.
If this question is already answered, I apologize...

More about : slipstreaming sp1

a b $ Windows 7
May 11, 2012 5:08:21 PM

How is this legal?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 11, 2012 5:31:03 PM

Slipstreaming I'm happy with, the provision of windows installations from a multi license is what i'm questioning, else i could provide for everyone in the country.

There has to be terms attached to the multilicense, such as same company, family, etc. and not just anyone you feel like offering it to.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 11, 2012 5:33:42 PM

13thmonkey said:
How is this legal?

Microsoft doesn't care very much about distribution of Windows installers. They make the ISO files and updates publicly available for academic, trial, and recovery purposes if you know where to look. There are also tools for customizing Windows deployments available from Microsoft which is what the OP wants to do. What Microsoft does care about is unlicensed use of the software which isn't a problem because the OP has a license. There are obviously terms attached to the license but Microsoft has been a big supporter of non-profits and charitable organizations and often gives out blanket licenses to them
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 11, 2012 5:52:04 PM

Realise the iso is irrelevant in many ways.

I'd like to hear from the OP why this is legal, giving the machines to 'the less fortunate' is all we've got so far. I'd believe MS licensing charities for the use of the charity and employees of the charity, but to give away to anyone outside of the charity that they see fit?
m
l
May 11, 2012 6:36:44 PM

Pinhedd said:
Microsoft doesn't care very much about distribution of Windows installers. They make the ISO files and updates publicly available for academic, trial, and recovery purposes if you know where to look. There are also tools for customizing Windows deployments available from Microsoft which is what the OP wants to do. What Microsoft does care about is unlicensed use of the software which isn't a problem because the OP has a license. There are obviously terms attached to the license but Microsoft has been a big supporter of non-profits and charitable organizations and often gives out blanket licenses to them

Im not sure where you are coming up with this, but EVERY computer that runs Windows has to have a license and the End User must be the one to agree to the licensing information. The OP has to be installing the OS in a way that the user is prompted to agree or disagree (cancel) to all terms.

Retail or OEM license are the only valid licensing that I am aware of and neither of them allow you to freely distribute multiple machines throughout your city/state/country/world with the same license (beyond Enterprise editions).

I wont disagree that the OP has a valid license, however, he does not have a freely distributable one that he can just pass around.

I have posted here before the EXACT licensing terms of MS. You can search for that, if you have something that shows there is a magical and freely distributable license somewhere, please link me. Otherwise he either purchases a license for each machine or he uses the OEM installation procedure (used for refurbish as well) and provides a license through that.

Edit: Took me all of 5 seconds to find your silliness.

Open License

Open License is a good choice if you are a corporate, academic, charitable, or government organization that wants to pay as you go. You must have a minimum initial purchase of five software licenses for an Open License agreement, but you can acquire additional licensed products through Open License in any quantity at any time during the two-year agreement term.
m
l
a c 233 $ Windows 7
May 11, 2012 7:17:56 PM

We purchased a volume license from microsoft for our business years ago. A volume license doesn't mean unlimited licenses. They are sold in bundles or at least were at the time. Now, the volume license agreement specifies who you can give these keys too. In our case it was any employee of our company as long as it was for business use.

The OP would need to read his license agreement to see who he is qualified to hand keys out to.

Personally I don't see why microsoft would care as long as the keys/license were purchased. It's not like it's a lost sale.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
May 11, 2012 8:14:15 PM

Hi

Ignoring the license implications above

there are a number of projects which contain every update issued after Windows 7 (service pack 1) was issued.
[X64 and X86 versions are separate]

This list of updates gets updated once a month so building a new slipstreamed Windows disk would be a never ending job.

So install Windows 7 SP1 then any motherboard chipset drivers, sound drivers, graphics card drivers etc then ALL relevant updates for the Windows version.

The project I use is Autopatcher, this project is legal as it gives you a list of Microsoft updates to download from Microsoft (using a downloader program)
then Autopatcher to apply the updates with a list of critical (all pre selected), then optional and cosmetic updates to select from

Some of the other projects are less legal as they distribute the Microsoft updates

(Autopatcher is available for XP SP3, Vista SP2 , 7 SP1 (X86 & X64 versions) also most Microsoft Office versions etc

regards

Mike Barnes
May 11, 2012 9:11:28 PM

Excuse me the dumb question: does this contain ALL update files?

Duh, sorry, my bad.
You stated the obvious, Barnes.

Thank you very much.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 12, 2012 1:22:20 AM

Hi :) 

What the OP is asking for is ILLEGAL.... WE all know it, and Toms does NOT ALLOW us to help with this....reported....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 12, 2012 1:37:46 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

What the OP is asking for is ILLEGAL.... WE all know it, and Toms does NOT ALLOW us to help with this....reported....

All the best Brett :) 

What the OP is asking for is not at all illegal. Please read the contents of the thread before you jump to conclusions
m
l
May 12, 2012 2:04:22 AM

This isn't illegal. If he had said "slipstream with crack" or something of the nature this thread wouldn't be here. Slipstreaming is perfectly legit as long as no piracy occurs. Ie. you have a license for Windows for that certain machine.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 12, 2012 10:02:50 AM

Yes slipstreaming is not illegal, but the rest of what he is doing is, and he needs to know it before he, and the people he is helping, end up in trouble because of this.

He is providing machines from a multiuser license for other people outside of his company, out of the goodness of his heart, that is, I am 99% sure, is illegal. The OP has never answered any questions about this part of the problem.

I'm sure he's doing nice things for people, but they need a license that they own, not that a company is lending them.

m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 12, 2012 10:30:08 AM

completely ignoring the debate amongst the legal "experts" around here :p 
Caraxua said:

I want to make a 'Full-Updated Win 7 Ultimate' install dvd, that has actually EVERY possible update out.
Can this be done, and if so yes, where do I get all the updates?

though i admit complete ignorance about slipstreaming, i have my doubts about the possibility of EVERY possible update from MS ( i believe you are most interested in the hardware drivers) as it would be a large amount of data that would not fit on a disc.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 12, 2012 10:34:57 AM

13thmonkey said:
Realise the iso is irrelevant in many ways.

I'd like to hear from the OP why this is legal, giving the machines to 'the less fortunate' is all we've got so far. I'd believe MS licensing charities for the use of the charity and employees of the charity, but to give away to anyone outside of the charity that they see fit?

The OP didn't say anything about "giving away".

Could be charity program and it sounds like, its not in the USA,

so the rules are different in different country.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 12, 2012 10:40:35 AM

Caraxua said:
Hail all:

I am a pro-hobbyist, who installs systems for the less fortunate.
I own a multi-install license, but...

Whats that but installing his multi license for someone else...
Else why mention the multi-license?
If he had said I use my install media and then apply license keys from retail/oem paid for versions of windows then there is obviously no issue.

doing what he is doing is great and more power to him but I think he should answer under what license agreement type he is doing it?
m
l
May 12, 2012 10:32:46 PM

I'm getting an iffy feeling over the word Ultimate tbh.

I was thinking that if it was charitable it would be home premium or Linux :p .

Unless he had a multi-license from work...

I'll bring this up to the council of moderators. Mkay?
m
l
May 13, 2012 10:07:04 AM

Hmmm...

I ran into a man from a company here in Belgium who gives me new licences (100-install licences) as favor.
Basically, he became my promotor once he understood the social aspect of my hobby.

Before (during the XP series), I did install not so legal versions (I am myself not rich enough to buy these licenses myself).
Once I reach the 90th volume install, I contact the man, I give him the list of PC's (containing info of the persons that received a system) and he gives me a new license...

Want to know the size of my underwear too, or my credit card number? ;) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2012 10:24:46 AM

Are you sure these are clean installations of windows, i.e. no added payloads?
Are you sure that you haven't just given him a way into each of those first 90 machines?
Was he from microsoft? did he have a right to give you those licenses for that use?

I don't believe that you are trying to do anything wrong, I believe you are trying to do good, but you still might be inadvertently doing wrong. I believe that there are refurbishing license mechanisms out there, not sure if yours is one of those.

Communities like this do and should draw a strong line in the sand against piracy, so I hope you understand why I (at least) feel I should ask these questions.

To the others in the post that questioned whether it was needed to ask these questions, yes it is, we're not legal experts but if the OP could say I am using XXX license type, or I am operating under the refurb program then we'd understand that the OP either knew to say the right words or was actually legal.
m
l
May 13, 2012 11:22:08 AM

The charity repair places I know of all use Linux.

Perhaps it is a wise proposition to do so as well.

The Moderator council is still deliberating, but I can, without any issues tell you how to slipstream Linux :) .

Sorry this is taking so long, we can't have THG promoting piracy of any kind.
m
l
May 13, 2012 12:00:38 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/licensing-options/fo...

Quote:
Microsoft Eligibility Definition
Of Charity Organizations

Microsoft makes discounted product licenses available to its authorized charity resellers for resale to customers who are eligible Charity Organizations. Such customers are also eligible for Microsoft Software Assurance. Microsoft makes charity customer eligibility determinations at its sole discretion and uses the categories and definitions below as guidelines in making them. These guidelines may change at times and without notice. You can see the latest version of these eligibility guidelines at http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/programs/open/opench....

§

Eligible Charity Organizations
[1] Qualifying 501(c)(3) Public Charities
To qualify under category [1], organizations (including all subsidiaries, branches, or divisions) must meet all of the following criteria:
a. Hold 501(c)(3) designation, conferred by the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS), at the highest level of the organization requesting licenses as a Charity Organization and submit a 501(c)(3) determination letter from the IRS on request.
b. Hold Public Charity (not Private Foundation) status, as defined by Section 509 of the United States Internal Revenue Code, at the highest level of the organization requesting License as a Charity Organization licenses.
c. Not be listed as a Non-Qualifying 501(c)(3) Public Charity in Category [4].

[2] Qualifying Per Se Organizations
Microsoft will make the eligibility determination for some organizations on a case by case basis based on their primary mission area and financial need. To qualify under category [2], organizations must meet all the following criteria;
1. Hold 501(c)(3) status and provide a 501(c)(3) determination letter upon request. If the organization does not have 501(c)(3) status they must provide satisfactory explanation as to why they did not qualify for such a status; and
2. Prove their inability to pay for the commercial licenses by providing a financial statement; and
3. Be a charitable organization apart from being a non-profit organization. Such organizations must not solely depend on fees from patients and insurance providers for revenues but must obtain a significant proportion of funding from donations.
In addition to meeting the above criteria the per se organizations must be organized and operated exclusively as one of the following:
a. Humanitarian assistance and disaster relief organizations.
b. Community health clinics designated as Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC) and FQHC
look-alikes by the United States Department of Health.
c. Voluntary health associations and clinics that provide services on a free or sliding-fee basis and employ only volunteer medical staff (other non-medical staff can be paid).
d. Blood, organ, and tissue banks with the primary mission of caching or banking blood or blood components, organs, or tissues gathered as a result of donation, then storing and preserving them to use later in blood transfusions or transplants.
e. Behavioral healthcare organizations that provide mental health, chemical dependency, mental/developmental disabilities services, and other psychosocial services to the community.
f. Freestanding women’s health organizations with the main mission of treating medical or health issues of special concern to women because of their physiology or reproductive physiology, including diseases that affect only women or mainly women.
g. Hospices: (Allowed under extra-ordinary circumstances where there is a clear demonstration of financial need and ongoing charitable activity). Hospices that provide time-limited, end-of-life care intended to provide relief from suffering, treatment of pain and other distressing symptoms, psychological and spiritual care, a support system to sustain the individual’s family, and care and support for loved ones following a death; services may include pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, and 24 hours a day, seven days a week access to assistance and may be provided in the home, residential-care facility, or in a free-standing hospice residential facility.

All organizations under categories [1] and [2] above must devote all of their resources for charitable purposes to qualify as a Charity Organization. Holding 501(c)(3) designation as a result of non-charitable activities does not suffice and does not make an organization eligible.
Ineligible Organizations
[3] Non-501(c)(3) Public Charities
Any organization that does not meet the criteria outlined in category [1] at the highest level of the organization and for any subsidiary, branch, or division and does not otherwise qualify under Category [2] is ineligible.
[4] Non-Qualifying 501(c)(3) Public Charities
Even if an organization holds Qualifying 501(c)(3) Public Charity status as defined in category [1], it will be deemed ineligible if all or any part of the organization falls into one of the following categories:
a. Organizations that pay (or otherwise make available) any portion of the funds or properties it holds or receives for the benefit of any proprietor, member, shareholder, or trustee.
b. Organizations that have as part of their organization/parent company/parent entity an organization that on its own will not qualify as a 501(c)(3) organization.
c. Federal or state and local government organizations.
d. Academic institutions eligible to participate in the Microsoft Academic License programs as a Qualified Educational User, as that term is defined in the Microsoft Academic License agreements.
e. Healthcare organizations, with the exception of those that qualify under category [2]; examples of disqualifying healthcare organizations include, but are not limited to, the following:

i. Hospitals—Healthcare organizations that have a governing body, an organized medical staff and professional staff, and in-patient facilities and provide medical, nursing, and related services for ill and injured patients 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
ii. Healthcare networks and health plans—Hospital-owned vertically-integrated delivery systems, Integrated Delivery Systems (IDS), and managed healthcare networks, including Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO), Point of Service (POS) organizations, Preferred Provider Organizations (PPO), and other specialty networks.
iii. Ambulatory healthcare organizations—Freestanding nonprofit healthcare organizations, including public health centers, medical/dental clinics, preventative healthcare offices, military clinics, mobile services, and occupational health centers. (Note: Certain ambulatory healthcare organizations are eligible to acquire licenses under Category [2].)
iv. Assisted living healthcare organizations—Organizations that provide assisted living in congregate residential settings that provide or coordinate personal services, 24-hour supervision and assistance (scheduled and unscheduled), and health-related services.
v. Health research organizations and research laboratories—Organizations with the primary mission of providing systematic investigation of health-related topics, including research development, testing and evaluation, designed to develop or contribute to the knowledgebase.
vi. Home Healthcare—Organizations that provide healthcare to individuals in their place of residence.
f. Political, labor, and fraternal organizations.

Note Regarding Your Status as an Eligible Charity Organization

If you lose your status as an eligible charity organization subsequent to licensing products under this agreement, you may continue to use copies for which you are licensed, but you may not submit a new order for licenses. You may also renew expiring Software Assurance for licenses purchased as a Charity Organization by submitting orders for Software Assurance under any other Microsoft Volume Licensing programs for which you qualify.
m
l
May 13, 2012 12:06:09 PM

The windows is an industrial one, with a continuously upgraded license.
The man I am speaking of is a head of a multinational chemical industry, being on board the company's director board.
He is more than rich, and became a good friend.

This man tells me that the licenses are in good order, and considering his position, I am not the one to question him.

The fact that all is done through more official ways (I need to sign a paper receiving the new volume) and he having the names/addresses of each installed system, makes me think, that he too has to give responsibility to someone.

I am just a man helping less fortunate people, with not that much knowledge into law things, but I think, that the man giving me the opportunity, does not have much liberty to lie to me in this regard.
Especially not due to his function...

@AMDFangirl: I am, as stated, Belgian.
The laws here are different, with other types of charity systems, such as for instance our VZW systems.
Since I do not run a company, nor make a single buck out of what I do, I do not fall under any of your stated laws.

The man offering the volumes has either payed them himself, or has them payed by for instance the company he is working in, and he lends me the gift to distribute (as in install the system on a PC) freely under the less fortunate.
We have no written contract per se, however, there is a serious paper trail....
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2012 12:13:05 PM

OK, so it sounds like he is using his companies funds to buy licenses to give to you, fair enough sounds reasonably legitimate.
Investigate the sysprep method above, its essentially what bulk PC manufacturers use, so will probably do what you want.
I did it recently on a platform upgrade, I don't recall having to download updates again.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2012 12:35:21 PM

Caraxua said:
The windows is an industrial one, with a continuously upgraded license.
The man I am speaking of is a head of a multinational chemical industry, being on board the company's director board.
He is more than rich, and became a good friend.

This man tells me that the licenses are in good order, and considering his position, I am not the one to question him.

The fact that all is done through more official ways (I need to sign a paper receiving the new volume) and he having the names/addresses of each installed system, makes me think, that he too has to give responsibility to someone.

I am just a man helping less fortunate people, with not that much knowledge into law things, but I think, that the man giving me the opportunity, does not have much liberty to lie to me in this regard.
Especially not due to his function...

@AMDFangirl: I am, as stated, Belgian.
The laws here are different, with other types of charity systems, such as for instance our VZW systems.
Since I do not run a company, nor make a single buck out of what I do, I do not fall under any of your stated laws.

The man offering the volumes has either payed them himself, or has them payed by for instance the company he is working in, and he lends me the gift to distribute (as in install the system on a PC) freely under the less fortunate.
We have no written contract per se, however, there is a serious paper trail....

I hope you understand why we have to check, tom's is ultimately responsible for what is written here, and being able to show that reasonable steps are taken to prevent this being used for promoting piracy is important for any future defences I imagine.

In the meantime I've proposed a solution.
m
l
May 13, 2012 12:53:32 PM

Thank you, my friend.
I was actually doing as proposed.

I was just a tad baffled by the fact that I had to explain the licenses, to people which are not police, lawyer, or something similar.

I think, that a pirate, would not even mention a license, and just ask his thing.
Could be wrong here.
I did not expect such level of... let's say... paranoia?

EDIT: The man who give me the licenses even gives computer parts, sometimes even entire systems, to be given away.
These are mostly parts from his company, sometimes from the store, or from himself or his kids if he does upgrades (actually, I do his upgrades, he offers me to keep the older parts to help the less fortunate).

As stated, I help the less fortunate, for a total sum of 0 cent, with help from this man, whom I am very grateful to.
If helping others these days becomes such a problem, then I wonder where we, as civilized beings, are going to...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2012 1:16:22 PM

Caraxua said:
Thank you, my friend.
I was actually doing as proposed.

I was just a tad baffled by the fact that I had to explain the licenses, to people which are not police, lawyer, or something similar.

I think, that a pirate, would not even mention a license, and just ask his thing.
Could be wrong here.
I did not expect such level of... let's say... paranoia?

EDIT: The man who give me the licenses even gives computer parts, sometimes even entire systems, to be given away.
These are mostly parts from his company, sometimes from the store, or from himself or his kids if he does upgrades (actually, I do his upgrades, he offers me to keep the older parts to help the less fortunate).

As stated, I help the less fortunate, for a total sum of 0 cent, with help from this man, whom I am very grateful to.
If helping others these days becomes such a problem, then I wonder where we, as civilized beings, are going to...

Unfortunately the paranoia is fed by lawyers who do make money off it. And Toms (I imagine) has to protect itself should it be accused, if it can be shown that the forum as a whole is challenging potential piracy then that would form a part of the defence, if it were to be shown that toms forum had piracy discussed and helped then the opposite would be true.

I'm pleased inside to hear about what you are doing and what your benefactor is doing, I hope you continue to do it.

with regards to the slipstreaming, I could see it working with a service pack, but some updates are hardware dependent, and you'll have to rebuild the slipstream regularly surely as more updates come out.
m
l
May 13, 2012 1:39:56 PM

Thank you.

I do hope to continue for at least another century (I will live up to 150 years (lol)), and not just because I am religious, but from a point of being human, and able to help others.

Being a cripple, this is a way to do something back for the community, and specifically for the less fortunate.
God knows, I always loved the underdogs...
m
l
May 25, 2012 12:36:10 PM

Best answer selected by Caraxua.
m
l
!