Do I need a new O/S

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. I,m pretty new at this.

A few years ago bought a new pc with win98 preinstalled, I've upgraded to a new HDD and it works fine. Now I,m upgradeing the rest of the system. My question is.. Can I use the HDD with the preinstalled win 98 on it or do I need a new O/S? I've been led to believe that the preinstalled win98 will only run on this pc. Is this true?
Thanks..

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you are asking but you surely had a Windows 98 CD that came with your PC. Windows 98 will work with your new PC for sure, you'll be better to install it from scratch from the original Win98 CD if you want my advice. If they gave you a pre-configured image on a CD, dont use it to reinstall, since this one will be pre-configured with all sort of drivers for your old pc.

Hope that helps!

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Thanks for the response brainstorm. The CD that came with the system is a HP Pavilion recovery. It has all the win 98 files on it but says that it can only be used on HP pc's. Can it still work? Is the disk worthless? Or is it just some copyrite thing. I don,t know, but I'll be off line (sob!!)if it don't work in my new system. I've never tried it in a non HP computer. I guess the worst that can happen is that I can't use my new system for a few days untill I get a new O/S to install.
Thanks again.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Shoot...I hope I didn't miss you. I hope you're not formatting and just using that restore CD, because I might have something you can try.

<A HREF="http://www.easydesksoftware.com/recovery.htm" target="_new">Making a Windows CD from a Recovery Disk</A>

Tell me how this goes, okay? If you didn't get this in time, then try to make a regular Windows CD anyways. It'll be good for you to have.

<font color=red><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin" target="_new">My Windows XP-based Website</A></font color=red>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, yes! Get a copy of Windows 98 Second Edition, a munch better one than the one you have, First Edition.

And you can use the HP Windows CD on other machine, after you uninstall it on yours. Nothing will stop you from making another copy, but it isnt quite legal.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Cheap, good solution for you-pick up a Win98SE disk, even a copied one. Then get the licence info and use that licence on the fresh install. You can find your licence in the system regestry (before you format).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Since he has a HP Pavillion computer, he will have the license number either on a Win 98 book or on a sticker on the case. If the machine came pre-loaded with 98SE, it should definately have the sticker on the case... if it's the original 98, then it will only be on the book.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>