Your question

Windows Hangs after it has completed installation "Starting Windows"

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
May 11, 2012 5:41:26 PM

Hello all,

I just built a brand new computer but kept the same HDD. I realized that the motherboard and my HDD were not compatible because I kept receiving a freeze at the "starting windows" logo and a blue screen shortly thereafter. So, I re-installed windows onto the HDD but I keep getting stuck at the "starting windows" logo but this time it just stays there. I've waited for 2+ hours at a time to see if time was the problem.

A short list of all the things I've seen so far:
1) Getting stuck at the "starting windows" screen AFTER windows completes its installation.
2) At the time of the hang, all of my peripherals shut off.
3) When I boot in safe mode, it gets stuck at /CLASSPNP for a minute or two, and then it says "setup preparing your computer for first use," but 5 seconds later I get a dialogue that says "Windows cannot complete installation in safe-mode."

Things I've tried:
1) Removing all RAM except for one stick.
2) Using different DVD drives.
3) Using different Windows 7 CD's.
4) Disconnecting all peripherals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm almost willing to try anything seeing as this is a very frustrating situation. Thanks!

Computer Specs:
Intel i5 2500K
GIGABYTE Z68-UD3H-B3 Motherboard
Corsair 4GB RAM x2
Seagate 500GB 7,200 RPM HDD
Refurbished LG DVD Drive
Thermaltake 600W Power Supply
NVIDIA GeForce 560 ti

More about : windows hangs completed installation starting windows

May 11, 2012 6:11:20 PM

What mode is the SATA port you connected the drive in?
m
l
May 11, 2012 6:15:24 PM

Right now, it's in IDE
m
l
Related resources
May 11, 2012 6:41:20 PM

You could try switching the option from IDE to AHCI and check the result.
m
l
May 11, 2012 6:45:12 PM

Someone actually pointed that out to me earlier and I already tried it. I forgot to put that in the original post. However, when I do switch it to AHCI, it does the same thing except it blue screens after a bit.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 11, 2012 6:49:56 PM

Are the drives plugged into the native Intel ports on the motherboard?

If you uinstalled Windows 7 with the SATA ports set to IDE, then changed them to ACHI, you need to reinstall Windows, since you can't get into it to do a registry "fix."

Is the freeze at the first "Starting Windows" orbs, or the ones at first reboot?

Also, there are some post in here about Gigabyte motherboards and problems, but I don't know if it's your board or your problem.
m
l
May 11, 2012 7:15:03 PM

What are the native Intel ports? I've reinstalled windows on both IDE and AHCI. Also, it's at the reboot orbs. It's the second reboot after windows completely installs. And thanks for the reference, I'll check out the GIG forums.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 11, 2012 10:05:26 PM

Have you wiped thet drive between re-installs? Or at least re-formated it during install?

A re-install over a previous corrupted install won't fix it. The install program sees that "stuff" is there, and moves on.

Do you have the onboard iGPU disabled, or set to PCI-e? Could be a conflict with the onboard and the discrete video card.

Probably is a drive conflict somewhere during the install, may not be only video.
m
l