DDR Mem Temp Control on MB?

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
Looking over the GigaByte MB BIOS settings, I came across a choice ENABLE/DISABLE for memory temp which the MB reads something from the memory. It appears to control memory performance in some way. I would appreciate learning more about this. Thanks in advance.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

fastingsetiman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2002
Hi.

8IRX offers various dram speed adjustments like case latency and RAS to CAS. The "DRAM Read Thermal Mgmt" is an option for ram thermal management. Current DDR ram runs hot and this setting gives you an option to lower the ram temperature for read operation. Overclockers are likely to disable this setting as lowering temperature this way normally means lowering the performance. It's better to buy ramsink or active memory cooling to lower the temperature without sacrificing the performance. Any "write" operation uses thermal management feature by default.

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
Thanks for the response and Welcome to the forums.

How much of a performance hit is likely when the thermal management is set to yes?

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

fastingsetiman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2002
Hi.I have absolutely no idea. I just copied and pasted that off some site. Granted, I'm curious also about the actual performance hit, but quantification will have to wait for another day, 'cause that research is very low priority. If the overclockers aren't doing it, then it's fine with me.

RCH