Older hardware for Older Flight SIMS.

I may bite the bullet and purchase a low-end PC, slap Windows 98 on it
so I can fly LB2, F15, USAF, etc. some of the older stuff.
No need for a monitor/keyboard or mouse, as I'd buy a KVM switch.

I have a high end machine now, run XP etc.
Yes I've tweaked these games out on XP using the web guides, but it's never
quite right.
You can never quite get everything to work perfectly (USAF for example).

What hardware should I look at?

CPU- 500Mhz, less than a GHz, 1.5Ghz (or is that too much)?
RAM - Would 256MB enough?
Video - I have a 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000PCI card, will that do?
HD - Maybe 40Gig??
No need for a CDROM driver or burner, I can install games over the network.
I can probably even get by without a floppy drive.

Thoughts, comments ...

No need. Just partition your HD and load Win98 in a second partition. USAF
works 100% when installed in this partition and the PC is booted up in
Win98. Same goes for most other Win98 games that won't load/run under XP.

doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za wrote:
> No need. Just partition your HD and load Win98 in a second
> partition. USAF works 100% when installed in this partition and the
> PC is booted up in Win98. Same goes for most other Win98 games that
> won't load/run under XP.

Yes, that thought passed my mind for around 2 seconds a while ago.
I'm not going to run a multiboot/FAT32 setup ever on my primary PC ever
again.

With the price of older hardware, that hassles not worth it to me.
You are correct that USAF USAF works, however games like LB2 needs a
correctly sized CPU or you need to slow the mother down somehow.

> doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za wrote:
>> No need. Just partition your HD and load Win98 in a second
>> partition. USAF works 100% when installed in this partition and the
>> PC is booted up in Win98. Same goes for most other Win98 games that
>> won't load/run under XP.
>>

> Yes, that thought passed my mind for around 2 seconds a while ago.
> I'm not going to run a multiboot/FAT32 setup ever on my primary PC ever
> again.
>
> With the price of older hardware, that hassles not worth it to me.
> You are correct that USAF USAF works, however games like LB2 needs a
> correctly sized CPU or you need to slow the mother down somehow.

The dual boot option didn't work very well for me because my newer hardware
didn't like Win98 very much. My 'legacy computer' is almost exactly what
you listed except I use a Voodoo 5. I have to have my FSAA. Used V5s go for
about $20 on ebay.

If u have an Nforce2 board, you will not get sound in DOS games at all,
onboard or SBlive.I tried for a long time to get USNF (and Doom, etc)to work
properly, but still no sound.

Steve H

mbeaver wrote:
> "Not-My-Real-Name" <someone@micros0ft.com> wrote in message

> The dual boot option didn't work very well for me because my newer
> hardware didn't like Win98 very much. My 'legacy computer' is
> almost exactly what you listed except I use a Voodoo 5. I have to
> have my FSAA. Used V5s go for about $20 on ebay.

I bought a used V5 for $30 CDN so I'm happy!
I think I'll target the 800Mhz to 1.2Ghz PIII range of processors.
Windows 98, 40Gig HD, SBLive. I could go with a SB 16 bit ISA card for the
older DOS games.
I'm not too worried about DOS games though, LB2, F15, USAF are the primary
games I'll be setting up.
May throw in RB3D, not sure.

The next thing is to pickup a KVM switch.

I'm guessing this will set me back $200 CDN max.

TRENDING THREADS