Motorola cell phone as laptop modem? How good?

Fido has unsuccessfully tried to sell me a Sony Ericsson Z-600 which
"should work" (according to the salesrep, ha, ha, ha) but ended up
wasting 1/2 a day of my time.

According to Fido, the only other cel phone they have that will allow
on-the-road Internet surfing is Motorola (don't have model)
GPRS-service phone.

Anybody with first-hand experience, and if so, how well does this
work?

Should I just get a Yagi or Cantenna Wi-Fi adapter for the laptop
instead of using a celphone?

My laptop runs Windows XP Home Edition and is still new.
3 answers Last reply
More about motorola cell phone laptop modem good

    More depends on your service than which phone. I don't think it has to be
    Motorola, I believe most cell phones these days will work to use as a modem
    to connect wirelessly to the Internet. How good it works would depend more
    on which service you have than which phone.

    "Jack Blake" <smogkiller2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Fido has unsuccessfully tried to sell me a Sony Ericsson Z-600 which
    > "should work" (according to the salesrep, ha, ha, ha) but ended up
    > wasting 1/2 a day of my time.
    >
    > According to Fido, the only other cel phone they have that will allow
    > on-the-road Internet surfing is Motorola (don't have model)
    > GPRS-service phone.
    >
    > Anybody with first-hand experience, and if so, how well does this
    > work?
    >
    > Should I just get a Yagi or Cantenna Wi-Fi adapter for the laptop
    > instead of using a celphone?
    >
    > My laptop runs Windows XP Home Edition and is still new.

    Hi Jack

    I bought a Motorola V525 yesterday along with software & cable, I installed
    the software on an old Sony FX101 laptop and it all worked fine. Connection
    via Vodafone.

    Bruce Liverpool UK
    "Jack Blake" <smogkiller2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Fido has unsuccessfully tried to sell me a Sony Ericsson Z-600 which
    > "should work" (according to the salesrep, ha, ha, ha) but ended up
    > wasting 1/2 a day of my time.
    >
    > According to Fido, the only other cel phone they have that will allow
    > on-the-road Internet surfing is Motorola (don't have model)
    > GPRS-service phone.
    >
    > Anybody with first-hand experience, and if so, how well does this
    > work?
    >
    > Should I just get a Yagi or Cantenna Wi-Fi adapter for the laptop
    > instead of using a celphone?
    >
    > My laptop runs Windows XP Home Edition and is still new.

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <9e26fed2.0411061005.7c0761cc@posting.google.com> on 6 Nov 2004 10:05:51
    -0800, smogkiller2004@yahoo.com (Jack Blake) wrote:

    >Fido has unsuccessfully tried to sell me a Sony Ericsson Z-600 which
    >"should work" (according to the salesrep, ha, ha, ha) but ended up
    >wasting 1/2 a day of my time.

    Very good phone.

    >According to Fido, the only other cel phone they have that will allow
    >on-the-road Internet surfing is Motorola (don't have model)
    >GPRS-service phone.
    >
    >Anybody with first-hand experience, and if so, how well does this
    >work?

    The Z600 works very well with CSD (dial-up) and GPRS.

    >Should I just get a Yagi or Cantenna Wi-Fi adapter for the laptop
    >instead of using a celphone?

    That depends on your needs and on service availability.

    >My laptop runs Windows XP Home Edition and is still new.

    Should be no problem.

Motorola Cell Phones Fido