Motorola cell phone as laptop modem? How good?

Last response: in Brands
November 6, 2004 1:05:51 PM

Fido has unsuccessfully tried to sell me a Sony Ericsson Z-600 which
"should work" (according to the salesrep, ha, ha, ha) but ended up
wasting 1/2 a day of my time.

According to Fido, the only other cel phone they have that will allow
on-the-road Internet surfing is Motorola (don't have model)
GPRS-service phone.

Anybody with first-hand experience, and if so, how well does this
work?

Should I just get a Yagi or Cantenna Wi-Fi adapter for the laptop
instead of using a celphone?

My laptop runs Windows XP Home Edition and is still new.
November 6, 2004 3:47:54 PM

More depends on your service than which phone. I don't think it has to be
Motorola, I believe most cell phones these days will work to use as a modem
to connect wirelessly to the Internet. How good it works would depend more
on which service you have than which phone.

"Jack Blake" <smogkiller2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Fido has unsuccessfully tried to sell me a Sony Ericsson Z-600 which
> "should work" (according to the salesrep, ha, ha, ha) but ended up
> wasting 1/2 a day of my time.
>
> According to Fido, the only other cel phone they have that will allow
> on-the-road Internet surfing is Motorola (don't have model)
> GPRS-service phone.
>
> Anybody with first-hand experience, and if so, how well does this
> work?
>
> Should I just get a Yagi or Cantenna Wi-Fi adapter for the laptop
> instead of using a celphone?
>
> My laptop runs Windows XP Home Edition and is still new.
November 7, 2004 5:46:57 PM

Hi Jack

I bought a Motorola V525 yesterday along with software & cable, I installed
the software on an old Sony FX101 laptop and it all worked fine. Connection
via Vodafone.

Bruce Liverpool UK
"Jack Blake" <smogkiller2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Fido has unsuccessfully tried to sell me a Sony Ericsson Z-600 which
> "should work" (according to the salesrep, ha, ha, ha) but ended up
> wasting 1/2 a day of my time.
>
> According to Fido, the only other cel phone they have that will allow
> on-the-road Internet surfing is Motorola (don't have model)
> GPRS-service phone.
>
> Anybody with first-hand experience, and if so, how well does this
> work?
>
> Should I just get a Yagi or Cantenna Wi-Fi adapter for the laptop
> instead of using a celphone?
>
> My laptop runs Windows XP Home Edition and is still new.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 5:17:53 AM

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.motorola - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <9e26fed2.0411061005.7c0761cc@posting.google.com> on 6 Nov 2004 10:05:51
-0800, smogkiller2004@yahoo.com (Jack Blake) wrote:

>Fido has unsuccessfully tried to sell me a Sony Ericsson Z-600 which
>"should work" (according to the salesrep, ha, ha, ha) but ended up
>wasting 1/2 a day of my time.

Very good phone.

>According to Fido, the only other cel phone they have that will allow
>on-the-road Internet surfing is Motorola (don't have model)
>GPRS-service phone.
>
>Anybody with first-hand experience, and if so, how well does this
>work?

The Z600 works very well with CSD (dial-up) and GPRS.

>Should I just get a Yagi or Cantenna Wi-Fi adapter for the laptop
>instead of using a celphone?

That depends on your needs and on service availability.

>My laptop runs Windows XP Home Edition and is still new.

Should be no problem.