PCI Latency Tweak - cured my stutters and fps woes in PF

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 15, 2005 3:07:15 PM

All I can say is WOW !!!

I saw the below link posted on the IL21FB Pacific Fighters community help
forum.

There is a good discussion of this latency tweak tool at

Some of you may already be aware of this tool, I was not so thought I would
post this for anyone else that may not know about it.

Yesterday evening, before using this tool, I was flying a campaign mission
in IL2 FB AEP/Pacific Fighters , protecting Midway. Ran into several enemy
fighters, plus there were 8 in my group. My fps came down to a crawl, with
stuttering, making it almost impossible to dogfight these guys.

I did the above latency tweak on my Radeon 9800 Pro. It was set at 255 I
believe,( may have been 155), and I changed it down to 32. My other pci
periphs, like soundcard, were already set at 32. They recommend trying 64
with this tool, but I went ahead and went for 32.

Loaded up the same mission, first thing I noticed after takeoff from the
carrier, was that my fps were about 5-8 fps higher. While I was on the
carrier they remained app the same as before. I think ok, so what will
happen now in the dogfight?

Here comes the enemy planes, and off we go to engage them. My fps barely
dropped. It was so smooth and completely flyable. My targeting was much
better, obviously due to the smoothness.
What a difference this has made for me.

My system specs:

Athlon XP 2800+ overcloced to 3200+ speeds.
Asus A7N8X Deluxe ver 2 mb
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb.
Audigy2 ZS
1 gb pc 3200 ddr ram.

I understand it works with Nvidia cards as well.

Anyone that is having fps/stuttering issues in combat, especially heavy
combat - you may want to check this out. Please note, that the readme
states you use it at your own risk, and your mileage may vary.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 15, 2005 3:51:47 PM

URL correction for the thread :

http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/DCForumID21/203...

Don Burnette wrote:
> All I can say is WOW !!!
>
> I saw the below link posted on the IL21FB Pacific Fighters community
> help forum.
>
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951
>
> There is a good discussion of this latency tweak tool at
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951
>
> Some of you may already be aware of this tool, I was not so thought I
> would post this for anyone else that may not know about it.
>
> Yesterday evening, before using this tool, I was flying a campaign
> mission in IL2 FB AEP/Pacific Fighters , protecting Midway. Ran into
> several enemy fighters, plus there were 8 in my group. My fps came
> down to a crawl, with stuttering, making it almost impossible to
> dogfight these guys.
> I did the above latency tweak on my Radeon 9800 Pro. It was set at
> 255 I believe,( may have been 155), and I changed it down to 32. My
> other pci periphs, like soundcard, were already set at 32. They
> recommend trying 64 with this tool, but I went ahead and went for 32.
>
> Loaded up the same mission, first thing I noticed after takeoff from
> the carrier, was that my fps were about 5-8 fps higher. While I was
> on the carrier they remained app the same as before. I think ok, so
> what will happen now in the dogfight?
>
> Here comes the enemy planes, and off we go to engage them. My fps
> barely dropped. It was so smooth and completely flyable. My targeting
> was much better, obviously due to the smoothness.
> What a difference this has made for me.
>
> My system specs:
>
> Athlon XP 2800+ overcloced to 3200+ speeds.
> Asus A7N8X Deluxe ver 2 mb
> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb.
> Audigy2 ZS
> 1 gb pc 3200 ddr ram.
>
> I understand it works with Nvidia cards as well.
>
> Anyone that is having fps/stuttering issues in combat, especially
> heavy combat - you may want to check this out. Please note, that the
> readme states you use it at your own risk, and your mileage may vary.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 16, 2005 2:18:20 AM

Don Burnette wrote:

> URL correction for the thread :
>
> http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/DCForumID21/203...
>

> Don Burnette wrote:
>> All I can say is WOW !!!
>>
>> I saw the below link posted on the IL21FB Pacific Fighters community
>> help forum.
>>
>> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951
>>
>> There is a good discussion of this latency tweak tool at
>> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951
>>
>> Some of you may already be aware of this tool, I was not so thought I
>> would post this for anyone else that may not know about it.
>>
>> Yesterday evening, before using this tool, I was flying a campaign
>> mission in IL2 FB AEP/Pacific Fighters , protecting Midway. Ran into
>> several enemy fighters, plus there were 8 in my group. My fps came
>> down to a crawl, with stuttering, making it almost impossible to
>> dogfight these guys.
>> I did the above latency tweak on my Radeon 9800 Pro. It was set at
>> 255 I believe,( may have been 155), and I changed it down to 32. My
>> other pci periphs, like soundcard, were already set at 32. They
>> recommend trying 64 with this tool, but I went ahead and went for 32.
>>
>> Loaded up the same mission, first thing I noticed after takeoff from
>> the carrier, was that my fps were about 5-8 fps higher. While I was
>> on the carrier they remained app the same as before. I think ok, so
>> what will happen now in the dogfight?
>>
>> Here comes the enemy planes, and off we go to engage them. My fps
>> barely dropped. It was so smooth and completely flyable. My targeting
>> was much better, obviously due to the smoothness.
>> What a difference this has made for me.
>>
>> My system specs:
>>
>> Athlon XP 2800+ overcloced to 3200+ speeds.
>> Asus A7N8X Deluxe ver 2 mb
>> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb.
>> Audigy2 ZS
>> 1 gb pc 3200 ddr ram.
>>
>> I understand it works with Nvidia cards as well.
>>
>> Anyone that is having fps/stuttering issues in combat, especially
>> heavy combat - you may want to check this out. Please note, that the
>> readme states you use it at your own risk, and your mileage may vary.

Yea Don thanks.

--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE3.3.2a.

Tried it but reverted back to normal setting (248). The "heaviest" game on
my system is LoMac and it could use an increase in FPS (running it on almost
"low" settings because i prefer smoothness over eyecandy. So i tried this
Latency thingy but i only found more stutter then before. Haven't tried it
on PF yet but for LoMac it was no improvement. At least not on my system
(Specs: AMD 64 bit 3000, 1GB Ram, GForce FX5900XT)

--
Lange,
666th Black Brigade

"Mitch_A" <naman@pacbell.nospam.net> schreef in bericht
> Don Burnette wrote:
>
>> URL correction for the thread :
>>
>> http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/DCForumID21/203...
>>

>> Don Burnette wrote:
>>> All I can say is WOW !!!
>>>
>>> I saw the below link posted on the IL21FB Pacific Fighters community
>>> help forum.
>>>
>>> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951
>>>
>>> There is a good discussion of this latency tweak tool at
>>> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951
>>>
>>> Some of you may already be aware of this tool, I was not so thought I
>>> would post this for anyone else that may not know about it.
>>>
>>> Yesterday evening, before using this tool, I was flying a campaign
>>> mission in IL2 FB AEP/Pacific Fighters , protecting Midway. Ran into
>>> several enemy fighters, plus there were 8 in my group. My fps came
>>> down to a crawl, with stuttering, making it almost impossible to
>>> dogfight these guys.
>>> I did the above latency tweak on my Radeon 9800 Pro. It was set at
>>> 255 I believe,( may have been 155), and I changed it down to 32. My
>>> other pci periphs, like soundcard, were already set at 32. They
>>> recommend trying 64 with this tool, but I went ahead and went for 32.
>>>
>>> Loaded up the same mission, first thing I noticed after takeoff from
>>> the carrier, was that my fps were about 5-8 fps higher. While I was
>>> on the carrier they remained app the same as before. I think ok, so
>>> what will happen now in the dogfight?
>>>
>>> Here comes the enemy planes, and off we go to engage them. My fps
>>> barely dropped. It was so smooth and completely flyable. My targeting
>>> was much better, obviously due to the smoothness.
>>> What a difference this has made for me.
>>>
>>> My system specs:
>>>
>>> Athlon XP 2800+ overcloced to 3200+ speeds.
>>> Asus A7N8X Deluxe ver 2 mb
>>> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb.
>>> Audigy2 ZS
>>> 1 gb pc 3200 ddr ram.
>>>
>>> I understand it works with Nvidia cards as well.
>>>
>>> Anyone that is having fps/stuttering issues in combat, especially
>>> heavy combat - you may want to check this out. Please note, that the
>>> readme states you use it at your own risk, and your mileage may vary.
>
> Yea Don thanks.
>
> --
> Remove "nospam." to reply.
> SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE3.3.2a.
> YaSTastic!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 16, 2005 2:50:51 AM

Once you make the change, click on settings-apply, then settings-save. You
may also want to check the load on startup option as well.

--

Lange wrote:
> Tried it but reverted back to normal setting (248). The "heaviest"
> game on my system is LoMac and it could use an increase in FPS
> (running it on almost "low" settings because i prefer smoothness over
> eyecandy. So i tried this Latency thingy but i only found more
> stutter then before. Haven't tried it on PF yet but for LoMac it was
> no improvement. At least not on my system (Specs: AMD 64 bit 3000,
> 1GB Ram, GForce FX5900XT)
>

> "Mitch_A" <naman@pacbell.nospam.net> schreef in bericht
>> Don Burnette wrote:
>>
>>> URL correction for the thread :
>>>
>>> http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/DCForumID21/203...

>> Yea Don thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Remove "nospam." to reply.
>> SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE3.3.2a.
>> YaSTastic!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 16, 2005 3:39:56 AM

"For-Example" <Id-rather@not.say> wrote in message
> Don Burnette wrote:
>> URL correction for the thread :
>>
>> http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/DCForumID21/203...
>>

> Yes good tweak, my systems seems to breath and flow a bit smoother now.

I tried running the application, and it said that my latency for my video
card (a 6800GT) was 000. Perhaps this doesn't apply to PCI-Express cards??

a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 16, 2005 3:39:57 AM

James Calivar wrote:
> "For-Example" <Id-rather@not.say> wrote in message
>> Don Burnette wrote:
>>> URL correction for the thread :
>>>
>>> http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/DCForumID21/203...
>>>

>> Yes good tweak, my systems seems to breath and flow a bit smoother
>> now.
>
> I tried running the application, and it said that my latency for my
> video card (a 6800GT) was 000. Perhaps this doesn't apply to
> PCI-Express cards??

If it says 000, then that means the latency can not be adjusted.
--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 16, 2005 3:42:27 AM

Did that in the beginning. I used (tried is a better word) the first version
quite some time ago so i know how it works.
Didn't keep my setting either then due to system instability in some
circumstances.

But as long as it works, i would keep it, every FPS gained counts.

--
Lange,
666th Black Brigade

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> schreef in bericht

> Once you make the change, click on settings-apply, then settings-save. You
> may also want to check the load on startup option as well.
>

> --
> Don Burnette
>
> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
> way of the man that's doing it."
>

> Lange wrote:
>> Tried it but reverted back to normal setting (248). The "heaviest"
>> game on my system is LoMac and it could use an increase in FPS
>> (running it on almost "low" settings because i prefer smoothness over
>> eyecandy. So i tried this Latency thingy but i only found more
>> stutter then before. Haven't tried it on PF yet but for LoMac it was
>> no improvement. At least not on my system (Specs: AMD 64 bit 3000,
>> 1GB Ram, GForce FX5900XT)
>>

>> "Mitch_A" <naman@pacbell.nospam.net> schreef in bericht

>>> Yea Don thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Remove "nospam." to reply.
>>> SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE3.3.2a.
>>> YaSTastic!

January 16, 2005 9:42:58 AM

"Lange" <lange@arodnap<--reverse_this.be> wrote in message
> Tried it but reverted back to normal setting (248). The "heaviest" game on
> my system is LoMac and it could use an increase in FPS (running it on
> almost "low" settings because i prefer smoothness over eyecandy. So i
> tried this Latency thingy but i only found more stutter then before.
> Haven't tried it on PF yet but for LoMac it was no improvement. At least
> not on my system (Specs: AMD 64 bit 3000, 1GB Ram, GForce FX5900XT)

No joy here either (for flight sims at least...) Frame rates went up
slightly,
but I got bad stutters that came out of nowhere, got me kicked from a
server yesterday too.... Thought it was just online,. but offline the same
thing.
Back to 248 on my FX 5900 Ultra.

Did help out a little in Call Of Duty, but not enough to keep using it.

--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will
Anonymous

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> James Calivar wrote:
>> "For-Example" <Id-rather@not.say> wrote in message

>>> Yes good tweak, my systems seems to breath and flow a bit smoother
>>> now.
>>
>> I tried running the application, and it said that my latency for my
>> video card (a 6800GT) was 000. Perhaps this doesn't apply to
>> PCI-Express cards??
>

> If it says 000, then that means the latency can not be adjusted.
> --
> Don Burnette
>
> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
> way of the man that's doing it."

When I bring up mine (ATI X800 XT PE), Everything is already set to 32.
Wonder why that is???
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 16, 2005 12:56:10 PM

HockeyTownUSA wrote:
> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> James Calivar wrote:
>>> "For-Example" <Id-rather@not.say> wrote in message

>>> I tried running the application, and it said that my latency for my
>>> video card (a 6800GT) was 000. Perhaps this doesn't apply to
>>> PCI-Express cards??
>>

>> If it says 000, then that means the latency can not be adjusted.
>> --
>> Don Burnette
>>
>> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of
>> the way of the man that's doing it."
>>

> When I bring up mine (ATI X800 XT PE), Everything is already set to
> 32. Wonder why that is???

Just a guess, I would say that the more cutting edge cards such as yours,
are designed to handle the lower latency.

How do you like that card?

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 16, 2005 3:20:14 PM

Since i also have a 5900 (FX5900XT) card, it might be card related...?

--
Lange,
666th Black Brigade

"AM" <SCTUSER@comcast.net> schreef in bericht

> "Lange" <lange@arodnap<--reverse_this.be> wrote in message
>> Tried it but reverted back to normal setting (248). The "heaviest" game
>> on my system is LoMac and it could use an increase in FPS (running it on
>> almost "low" settings because i prefer smoothness over eyecandy. So i
>> tried this Latency thingy but i only found more stutter then before.
>> Haven't tried it on PF yet but for LoMac it was no improvement. At least
>> not on my system (Specs: AMD 64 bit 3000, 1GB Ram, GForce FX5900XT)
>>

> No joy here either (for flight sims at least...) Frame rates went up
> slightly,
> but I got bad stutters that came out of nowhere, got me kicked from a
> server yesterday too.... Thought it was just online,. but offline the same
> thing.
> Back to 248 on my FX 5900 Ultra.
>
> Did help out a little in Call Of Duty, but not enough to keep using it.

> --
> Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

January 16, 2005 3:20:15 PM

> Since i also have a 5900 (FX5900XT) card, it might be card related...?

Must be (because must of dont sound right :)

Anyway, went back to 248, and everything is fine again
I'm already OC'ing my box, and have ram latency as low
as I can with some stability. Had to stop OC'ing the video
card as well.......(FSAA @ 4x, Ansio @ 4x, 1280x960)
I still get 30+ fps at low level in a dogfight, 44+ fps at
anything over 2,000 - 3,000 feet (1,000 - 1,700 M)
(60+ fps at 10,000 feet :)  These are average fps counts.
Offline frame rates are about the same, maybe a little higher.
Offline I have AirIntensity=High and GroundIntensity=High
in my conf.ini file. (get lots of A/C, and AAA)
The Gainward FX 5900 Ultra is a decent card, handles most
games well.

Now for COD it did seem to work fine, but it already ran
fine (what an awsome game !!!)

I am very curious to see how the PCIe works out !

--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will
January 16, 2005 7:52:42 PM

Don Burnette wrote:

> All I can say is WOW !!!
>
> I saw the below link posted on the IL21FB Pacific Fighters community help
> forum.
>
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951
>
> There is a good discussion of this latency tweak tool at
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951

Is this difference from changing the PCI Latency setting in BIOS (i.e
when one boots and hits delete to enter the BIOS setup)? If so how?

--
Werewolf

Peace is Good.
Freedom is BETTER!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 19, 2005 1:46:48 AM

> HockeyTownUSA wrote:
>> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> If it says 000, then that means the latency can not be adjusted.
>>> --
>>> Don Burnette
>>>
>>> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of
>>> the way of the man that's doing it."
>>>

>> When I bring up mine (ATI X800 XT PE), Everything is already set to
>> 32. Wonder why that is???
>

> Just a guess, I would say that the more cutting edge cards such as yours,
> are designed to handle the lower latency.
>
> How do you like that card?
>
> --
> Don Burnette

Love it! Despite my toils and troubles of acquiring it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 19, 2005 1:46:49 AM

HockeyTownUSA wrote:

>>> When I bring up mine (ATI X800 XT PE), Everything is already set to
>>> 32. Wonder why that is???
>>

>> Just a guess, I would say that the more cutting edge cards such as
>> yours, are designed to handle the lower latency.
>>
>> How do you like that card?
>>
>> --
>> Don Burnette
>>

> Love it! Despite my toils and troubles of acquiring it.

I just do not think I can bring myself to put that much money into a video
card - tempting though...

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 19, 2005 11:11:38 PM

>>> Just a guess, I would say that the more cutting edge cards such as
>>> yours, are designed to handle the lower latency.
>>>
>>> How do you like that card?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Don Burnette
>>>

>> Love it! Despite my toils and troubles of acquiring it.
>
> I just do not think I can bring myself to put that much money into a video
> card - tempting though...

I think the most I ever spent on a video card was my first Voodoo card for
$300. I felt it was such of a significant improvement that it was more than
well worth it. Since then I don't think I've spent more than $200 or so.
$500 for a video card is definitely a LOT of money, but I am to the point in
my life where I don't get as much time as I used to to play games, and don't
want to have to dick around with options. For the most part I have been able
to run everything at 1024x768 with all options maxed and in most cases at
1600x1200. I know this will change down the road, but I should hopefully get
two years out of this card instead of the normal 12-14 months.
!