okay, i need to figure out what is stoping me..

amdoverclocker

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
okay first of all you probally want to know my system...

asus a7v333-r
xp2200+
256mb corsair pc3200 cas2 and 512mb ocz pc3200 ( not both in at the same time)
abit geforce 4 ti4400
cpu and gpu cooled with water cooling.. heat is not a problem
enermax eg651p-ve psu (550w more then enough)

okay, im helping a friend with a review of the ocz ram and we cant get it to hit 200mhz... now the system will run at 200mhz fsb like it is now and its running sandra burn in test of the memory benchmark in loops and has been for 20min so the ram is fine at that speed.. oh yeah the cpu is at 9 x 200 = 1800 (stock)... and the cpu is also running fine.. but when i go to test 3dmark or any game it will freeze... it just stopes and thats it... i was thinking that it was the agp slot because it was still at 4x at 200mhz fsb so its pushing it a lot... but i cant put it on 2x or 1x because my system will start but will stop after about 15 seconds of being in windows... so i cant figure out that problem eather... and i have no pci cards in... no ide devices other then my 800jb.. so any help, i would be greatfull to you, thanks, greg gardner / amdoverclocker

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Good ram, good graphics card, water cooled cpu.
hmmm
Yes, i would say its either the graphics card crapping out at 80mhz AGP or more likely the hard drive not liking 40mhz PCI speeds.

Ive heard that the geforce4 line of cards arnt as tollerant of high AGP speeds as previous generations, so one thing you could try is get a cheap geforce2 or 3 and give that a go.

Another thing you could try is running your hard drive at ata33 or PIO mode, see if that makes things more stable. If so its the drive cauzing problems.

<b>Plaid will NEVER go out of style! :cool: </b>

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I have been told by a few people now that OCing the FSB does NOT affect the HDD bus. They're totally different. I believe one of them was svol. I'd say it's the VC aswell though.

:eek: <b>Who needs heatsinks and fans, I have an igloo</b> :eek:

amdoverclocker

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
err im almost sure that it does but cant be 100% sure that it does...

gerr im trying a radeon 32mb ddr le right now and 2x doesnt even boot, it will get to the splash screen and will stop and at 1x it runs 3dmark up until the second sceen and dies... so im sure its the agp bus

my system is just too damn good to be described in 200 characters!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Im sorry but they were speaking crap.
I managed to kill 2 motherboards thanx to FSB overclocking, with the same problem each time.
Something with the IDE controller got perminently corrupted from extensive overclocking, And both of those systems were limited to 154fsb. Anything higher the hard drives would simply crap out on me.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well thats a shame. might have to back things off a bit then.
Persionally if i were you i would run the system at 166fsb, then you wouldnt have any AGP/PCI problems, plus increased stability.

If i remember correctly, on a epox forum people generally found that 200fsb was the limit with kt333 based boards. Anything greater gave video tearing or crashes.

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
What were the symptoms I NEED to know LHGpoobaa, I'm having some self rebooting issues and other and can't put my finger on it.

:eek: <b>Who needs heatsinks and fans, I have an igloo</b> :eek: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by psykoikonov on 10/14/02 11:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
haha. who knows.
Video problems usually give image corruption/tearing, games crashing, or screen freezing with and without image corruption.

HDD problems usually give BSOD's, with lots of ntoskernl warnings or IRQ less than or equal.

If you want to test for HDD problems do the following:
Download ARJ32.
Make a directory and pile some files into it, 500mb of mp3's is good
run arj, and make an archive of the files
(arj a test.arj)
Do a test extraction of the archive, which checks it for errors/corruption. (arj t test.arj)
If you get CRC errors or the computer hangs while doing this its probably the hard drive.

A very grassroots method of HDD problem solving.

P.S. Also using unshielded extended length IDE cables is a No-No when FSB overclocking. (beyond the normal 18")