WD shipping 8meg cache 40gig drives as 2meg cache

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got a nice little supprise yesterday. I picked up a 40gig 7200rpm western digital drive for use as back up and a win2k drive. Open up the box and a little orange piece of paper informs me that my drive has been upgrade for free to a 8 meg of cache version. The manufactor date on this drive was in Septemeber. I figure they are trying to get rid of the older 40gig special editions with the 80 up to 180 gig version out already. So if you want to pickup a cheap 8meg cache drive so see what all this hoopla is about here is your chance. Mine was 89.99 at circuit city. The box will say nothing about it being an upgraded version, the only indicators are a slip in the box and the manufactor date.

Error RAID!!! Error RAID!!! Heads crashing down everywhere, oh the humanity!!!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well thats nice, but i imagine its out of practicality, not any form of intended benevolence.
My bet is that they are still selling alot of lower capacity drives, but have finally run out of old 2mb cache chips.
(The main reason why they started using 8Mb chips to begin with)

And has it got a 1 year warantee or 3?

Still, P.R. wise it does them good. 8Mb cache drives are zippy and lots of people have no use for huge 80Gb drives. How much capacity does the average Joe need to word process, surf the net and muck around with a few media files?

<b>Plaid will NEVER go out of style! :cool: </b>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Does the drive say 400JB?

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have to look at the physical drive, which is going to be a pain because they are in my tower right now. I do know that the outside of the boxes has the same part number as a 2meg version on it.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Im pretty sure it has the 3 year warranty, it is listed as a special edition drive which Western Digital said would carry the 3 yr warranty. As for the reason for them shipping the 8meg versions, I think it has something to do with old inventory of finished drives more then lack of 2meg chips. The same store had 80gig special editions in too. They are probably just trying to clear out the older stock of 40gig specials editions. Just to compare, the 80gig SE was $140, the 40gig SE was $90. When using RAID0 I'll take the 2 40gig's myself :smile: .