Your question

Windows 7 for new PC build issues...

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Build
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 7
May 12, 2012 1:20:44 AM

Question on the many types of windows 7.... So I recently built a new computer and come to find out the windows 7 64 bit that I purchased from my university was an "upgrade" version. After 99% of the install and when I type in the cd key it does not recognize it. I assume this is due to the fact that it is being installed in a new pc that I just built.

So question for the forum, what is the correct type of version of Windows 7 64 bit for a new pc build? I think the Home Premium edition version of Windows 7 64 bit would be appropriate and most cost effective as it supports >4 gb of RAM. The build is for a gaming machine based around the new i5-3550 CPU, Radeon 7870HD GPU, and Asus mobo is B75 chipset, and SSD boot drive, and 1 TB HDD. Unfortunately it looks like this will cost an extra $199.99 on the Staples website.

Also are there any security issues with this version of Windows 7 proposed above?

Please let me know if this is correct, or of there are any alternatives.

Thanks!

More about : windows build issues

May 12, 2012 2:15:32 AM

As you're installing it on a new build:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't think BestBuy carries OEM versions, Staples probably not either... maybe you have a Frys or Microcenter nearby? Or just order online.

As for security issues, not really. Just keep Windows updated, install a good AV, and steer clear of those dark corners.
m
l
May 12, 2012 10:53:04 PM

pdxalex said:
As you're installing it on a new build:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't think BestBuy carries OEM versions, Staples probably not either... maybe you have a Frys or Microcenter nearby? Or just order online.

As for security issues, not really. Just keep Windows updated, install a good AV, and steer clear of those dark corners.

Sorry if these are dumb questions but: What is the difference between the regular version and the OEM system builders license version? Also the different SP#'s - do you have the option to purchase different service packs? Can't I just d/l the service packs from the internet? Also, why the cost discrepancy between the copy at staples ($200) and the version on newegg ($100)?
m
l
!