Biostar m7vkq memory

tanglefoot

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
I just installed a Biostar m7vkq mb w/AMD Athlon XP1800 cpu. I also installed one stick of 512 meg Micron PC133 memory. The problem is, I can't get it to run with the 512mb memory, it will run just fine with two PC100 64mb. I thought the Micron 512 might be bad so I sent it back and got a replacement, but it still will not work with that system. If this has already been posted by someone, I apologize. Any suggestions?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I wanted to look at the manual for the motherboard, but appearantly Biostar doesn't know how to make a self-extracting ZIP file that actually works. Heh heh. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, eh?

Chances are though that it is probably a density problem. Though usually if it is a density problem then the RAM will still work, but just show up as less than it is supposed to be.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

tanglefoot

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
I did finally get it to work today, but only at 100mhz. It would not work at 133mhz speed, so I guess I will leave well enough alone and get another mb later on. It makes the cpu run at 1.100 gb or so when it should run at about 1.5 gb or so. Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

tanglefoot

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
I did finally get it to work today, but only at 100mhz. It would not work at 133mhz speed, so I guess I will leave well enough alone and get another mb later on. It makes the cpu run at 1.100 gb or so when it should run at about 1.5 gb or so. Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well there you go.
For some reason that stick of ram doesnt work at full speed.
have you tried turning the memory settings to most relaxed in the bios? that might help.

<b>Microsoft is good for you. MS has your best intrests at heart. MS products are easy to use, Reliable, Bug free and Secure. MS says so. What possible reason would they have to lie to you?</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/989" target="_new">Sound familiar?</A> I think it's just a crappy board or crappy chipset. But it could be a power or memory problem.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

tanglefoot

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2002
Thanks Crashman, that answers a lot of questions for me. I should have done more research. Is there a mobo that you would recommend that will do the job without costing an arm and a leg? tanglefoot

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I usually recommend the MSI 745 Ultra for almost any XP system, because it's cheap, fast, and stable. From low end to high end systems. Of course it doesn't come loaded with googles of features, but it's cheap enough to largely offset the cost of add in cards.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>