Newbie Questions

I have just purchased MS Flightsim 2004 and absolutly love it.
I have just a couple of beginner questions though.
First, I live in Nebraska so I have been taking off from the small
airports in the towns I used to live in. How can I change the default
direction that the airplane is taking off from. It seems that the
airplane is always pointed in a Northerly direction. Short of taxiing
to the other end and taking off, I would like to be able to start the
flight from the end of the runway that I chose.
Also I have seen a graphic where the monitor view was outside
the airplane with the instruments showing on the bottom of the screen.
It is like you can view the landside and still watch the instruments.
Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

ME

goodfella wrote:
> I have just purchased MS Flightsim 2004 and absolutly love it.
> I have just a couple of beginner questions though.
> First, I live in Nebraska so I have been taking off from the small
> airports in the towns I used to live in. How can I change the default
> direction that the airplane is taking off from. It seems that the
> airplane is always pointed in a Northerly direction. Short of taxiing
> to the other end and taking off, I would like to be able to start the
> flight from the end of the runway that I chose.
> Also I have seen a graphic where the monitor view was outside
> the airplane with the instruments showing on the bottom of the screen.
> It is like you can view the landside and still watch the instruments.
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks in advance

1. Just go through the "Create Flight" procedure, then save it and tick
the "Make this the Default Flight" button

2.Shift+] to open a new window then right click in it to change its view
(or cycle through with "s")

Psst - There's another simulator newsgroup too.

rec.aviation.simulators

"goodfella" <jocar56@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have just purchased MS Flightsim 2004 and absolutly love it.
> I have just a couple of beginner questions though.
> First, I live in Nebraska so I have been taking off from the small
> airports in the towns I used to live in. How can I change the default
> direction that the airplane is taking off from. It seems that the
> airplane is always pointed in a Northerly direction. Short of taxiing
> to the other end and taking off, I would like to be able to start the
> flight from the end of the runway that I chose.
> Also I have seen a graphic where the monitor view was outside
> the airplane with the instruments showing on the bottom of the screen.
> It is like you can view the landside and still watch the instruments.
> Is this possible?

You can set the active runway when you create a flight. Then just save it
as your default. However, by default FS2004 will otherwise choose the
runway heading into the wind, which should be your prefered takeoff heading
on anything greater than still or slightly breezey days.

If you switch to the spot plane view using 'S' you can then overlay any of
the control panels using shift+1 to 9 (if that many panels exist for the
particular aircraft.) Alternatively, like someone else said, opt to open a
new window from the menu and pick your choice, really handy if you have
multiple monitors. (In the past I've had my PC on the floor in front of my
tv, with the main view out the window (panel off) on the tv and the main
panel below it on the monitor.)

Try alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim for MSFS questions, this group tends to
be mainly combat sims.

Si

Thanks for the information. If and when I get into Combat Simulations,
I may return.

TRENDING THREADS