SONY Sound Forge support?

Last response: in Home Audio
October 12, 2004 7:49:32 PM

I've been happily using SONY's rebadged Sound Forge for a while.
Recently, I noticed there was an update, so I tried it. The update has
apparently broken the associations of audio files with Sound Forge. I
had originally set it up to open SF when I selected any of a number of
audio formats. SF also showed up in the right-click floating menu "Open
With..." Now neither way of starting SF works. Both issue the same
error about there being no program associated with such-and-such a file
type. I did the Windows thing (in Folder Options) to re-create the
associations. It halfway worked: the icons for the various types now
show the SF icon, but I still cannot [left-or-right-]click an item and
have SF start. If I uninstall the update, everything's back to the happy
state it was in before the update. I have also tried re-installing from
scratch - everything works fine - but the update still breaks the
associations.

I used SONY's Support page a couple of weeks ago to ask about this and
have gotten exactly NO response beyond the initial "we got your
message" email. I've responded to that several times asking if anyone
was awake and nada. Anyone else had any luck with SONY's tech [non]
support?

Thanks,
Jason
October 16, 2004 1:22:16 AM

In article <MPG.1bd5c71633346d439897d9@news.verizon.net>, in
rec.audio.pro, nobody@invalid.urp says...
> I've been happily using SONY's rebadged Sound Forge for a while.
> Recently, I noticed there was an update, so I tried it. The update has
> apparently broken the associations of audio files with Sound Forge. I
> had originally set it up to open SF when I selected any of a number of
> audio formats. SF also showed up in the right-click floating menu "Open
> With..." Now neither way of starting SF works. Both issue the same
> error about there being no program associated with such-and-such a file
> type. I did the Windows thing (in Folder Options) to re-create the
> associations. It halfway worked: the icons for the various types now
> show the SF icon, but I still cannot [left-or-right-]click an item and
> have SF start. If I uninstall the update, everything's back to the happy
> state it was in before the update. I have also tried re-installing from
> scratch - everything works fine - but the update still breaks the
> associations.
>
> I used SONY's Support page a couple of weeks ago to ask about this and
> have gotten exactly NO response beyond the initial "we got your
> message" email. I've responded to that several times asking if anyone
> was awake and nada. Anyone else had any luck with SONY's tech [non]
> support?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

I'm running 7.0b of Sound Forge and have no problems with file
associations and opening SF. You have to set the file associations from
within SF (at least I did). I can open up wav. aif, mp3, with no
problem. What doesn't happen is the file playing automatically when it
opens in SF. There may be a setting for that, but it really doesn't
bother me.
My operating system is XP Home with SP1. If you're runnign SP2, that may
have broken SF.
--
de Jack N2MPU FN20
Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and CP Rail and D&H in N

I'm not on windows, so this is from memory, but hpoefully it is close
enough to get you started.

in any explorer (not ie, go to C:\ or something) for to view->folder
options

this should open up a window that has things like if you want to see
hidden files or see extentions. There should also be a tab called
file associations that lets you control who opens up what files
October 17, 2004 1:49:13 PM

"Jack" <jackn2mpu@monmouth.com> wrote in message
>> state it was in before the update. I have also tried re-installing from
>> scratch - everything works fine - but the update still breaks the
>> associations.

Did you do an update of one version, or upgrade from one version to another
?

Have you tried in SF Options | Preferences | File | Sound File Associations,
as per the manual and help ?

>> I used SONY's Support page a couple of weeks ago to ask about this and
>> have gotten exactly NO response beyond the initial "we got your
>> message" email. I've responded to that several times asking if anyone
>> was awake and nada. Anyone else had any luck with SONY's tech [non]
>> support?

I've always had a reply within a few days. A quicker response may be got
for the forums :
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/forums/ShowTopics...

geoff
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 6:27:14 AM

In article <MPG.1bda41c521746c1b9896df@news.individual.de>,
jackn2mpu@monmouth.com says...

-snip-

> I'm running 7.0b of Sound Forge and have no problems with file
> associations and opening SF. You have to set the file associations from
> within SF (at least I did). I can open up wav. aif, mp3, with no
> problem. What doesn't happen is the file playing automatically when it
> opens in SF. There may be a setting for that, but it really doesn't
> bother me.
> My operating system is XP Home with SP1. If you're runnign SP2, that may
> have broken SF.

I'm running Win 2000 Pro, not XP. I have also noticed that checking the
"Autoplay" button in the Open dialog works sometimes but not always. If
I uncheck it, close the Open dialog, and re-open and check the box it
will play the audio files as I select them. That's a nice feature. I
wish it were more reliable.

But, I finally got SONY support to respond and they were quite helpful.
We exchanged a number of emails and finally resolved the issue. I took
several actions at once, so I'm not sure just what did the trick, but
here's what I did:

1. Uninstalled SF.
2. ..noticed that there were still a ton of files in the SF directory,
so I purged them.
3. searched the Registry for "Forge" and deleted the keys I found. (This
may be unnecessary and fiddling with the Registry is always dangerous -
I backed it up before I deleted anything.)
4. Installed the 7.0b update from scratch - NOT on top of the original
release. I have a feeling that steps 1 & 2 and the fresh install of 7.0b
did the trick. (I wish vendors would make it clear whether "updates" are
really patches or are complete installs that do not require the older
version to be present.)

Associations now work as I expect.

As I said, it took a bit of trying to awaken support @ SONY, but once
they were on the case, they were helpful.

So... uninstall 7.0 before you install the 7.0b update!

Jason
!