Radeon Users - Pacific Fighters - Perfect Water Now !

Last response: in Video Games
January 20, 2005 1:33:59 AM

Hey gang,

I got home late this evening, and have not had a chance to test it long, but
right now it looks promising.

For the first time, I am able to run water on it's perfect setting with
OpenGL, without texture corruption. I emphasize so far, only ran it for app
10 minutes.

I installed PF patch 3.04, and updated my Catalyst drivers to the latest 5.1
drivers.

Changed the PF setup to OpenGL, set water to 1 in the config.ini file, and
launched the game. Once in the game , I changed landscape detail from
excellent to perfect.

Launched a mission from the carrier - water looked fantastic - big time wow
factor for me, as this is first time I was able to run it without texture
corruption.

Spent the 10 minutes flying low over the water, canopy open, and buzzing the
ships. Man, did it look good!

Framerates - 30 fps on carrier, 50 - 60 fps low and buzzing, 70 fps higher
up in the air. Resolution was set at 1280x960, no aa and no af. I am
confident it will perform the same in 1600x1200.

Anyone who, like me, has been missing out on perfect water, you might give
the latest cat's and patch a try.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:22:51 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:33:59 -0600, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

> Hey gang,
>
>I got home late this evening, and have not had a chance to test it long, but
>right now it looks promising.
>
>For the first time, I am able to run water on it's perfect setting with
>OpenGL, without texture corruption. I emphasize so far, only ran it for app
>10 minutes.
>
>I installed PF patch 3.04, and updated my Catalyst drivers to the latest 5.1
>drivers.
>
>Changed the PF setup to OpenGL, set water to 1 in the config.ini file, and
>launched the game. Once in the game , I changed landscape detail from
>excellent to perfect.
>
>Launched a mission from the carrier - water looked fantastic - big time wow
>factor for me, as this is first time I was able to run it without texture
>corruption.
>
>Spent the 10 minutes flying low over the water, canopy open, and buzzing the
>ships. Man, did it look good!
>
>Framerates - 30 fps on carrier, 50 - 60 fps low and buzzing, 70 fps higher
>up in the air. Resolution was set at 1280x960, no aa and no af. I am
>confident it will perform the same in 1600x1200.
>
>Anyone who, like me, has been missing out on perfect water, you might give
>the latest cat's and patch a try.

Hey Don, thanks for the input. Could you post what kind of system
you're running? Also could you inform me as to how to get into the
config.ini file? I've done it before but, well, I'm kind of a geezer
and have drank too many beers to remember. ;)
I downloaded the new 5.1 drivers and installed them. I know this is
off topic kind of but what's the difference between the two driver
packages? The catalyst driver update won't allow me to adjust my
monitor mghrz setting above 60 so I use the other update. I
appreciate your input. Cya in 'da skies! (if you fly GreaterGreen
that is)

Haukeye
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:54:24 AM

Hawkeye wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:33:59 -0600, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Hey gang,
>>
>> I got home late this evening, and have not had a chance to test it
>> long, but right now it looks promising.
>>
>> For the first time, I am able to run water on it's perfect setting
>> with OpenGL, without texture corruption. I emphasize so far, only
>> ran it for app 10 minutes.
>>
>> I installed PF patch 3.04, and updated my Catalyst drivers to the
>> latest 5.1 drivers.
>>
>> Changed the PF setup to OpenGL, set water to 1 in the config.ini
>> file, and launched the game. Once in the game , I changed landscape
>> detail from excellent to perfect.
>>
>> Launched a mission from the carrier - water looked fantastic - big
>> time wow factor for me, as this is first time I was able to run it
>> without texture corruption.
>>
>> Spent the 10 minutes flying low over the water, canopy open, and
>> buzzing the ships. Man, did it look good!
>>
>> Framerates - 30 fps on carrier, 50 - 60 fps low and buzzing, 70 fps
>> higher up in the air. Resolution was set at 1280x960, no aa and no
>> af. I am confident it will perform the same in 1600x1200.
>>
>> Anyone who, like me, has been missing out on perfect water, you
>> might give the latest cat's and patch a try.
>
> Hey Don, thanks for the input. Could you post what kind of system
> you're running? Also could you inform me as to how to get into the
> config.ini file? I've done it before but, well, I'm kind of a geezer
> and have drank too many beers to remember. ;)
> I downloaded the new 5.1 drivers and installed them. I know this is
> off topic kind of but what's the difference between the two driver
> packages? The catalyst driver update won't allow me to adjust my
> monitor mghrz setting above 60 so I use the other update. I
> appreciate your input. Cya in 'da skies! (if you fly GreaterGreen
> that is)
>
> Haukeye

Hi Hawkeye,

No problem.
My system:
Athlon XP 2800+ overclocked to 3200+
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro overclocked in 3d to 413/374.
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Ver 2.0 Nforce2 Ultra mother board.
1 gig of Corsair 3200 LL matched ( 2 -512 mb)
Westen Digital 120 gb 7200 rpm ata hard drives - 2.
Audigy2 ZS soundcard

Config ini - browse to your IL2 FB folder, and you should see a file named
conf.ini. You should be able to double click this file and have it open in
notepad. If it does not, try right clicking, and choosing open with -
notepad.

You will see several settings in here. Be careful. Best thing is to check
the readme's for what these settings do. The water setting controls the
quality of the water, with 1 being the best for framerates, and 3 being the
best for quality - kills framerates though. Some can run water=2 without too
much problem, few can run water=3 at this time.

5.1 Drivers - not sure I understand, you state the catalyst driver update
will not allow you to adjust your monitor's refresh rate, then you state you
used another update. There is only 1 5.1 driver package. There is the
control panel software, and the command control center ( ccc) sotware. You
should use one or the other. Most folks still use the older control panel,
myself included, as the CCC really will need Net Framework 2.0 to run good
without eating up resources, and 2.0 has just reached beta stage.

As for your monitor's refresh being stuck on 60 mhz, remove the check in the
box that says " Hide modes that this monitor can not display". You should
then see higher frequency settings, just be careful and choose one you know
is ok for your monitor. I run mine at 85 mhz.

Hope this helps. I am going out of town tomorrow for the weekend, so won't
have access to these groups till I come back Sunday evening.

Good luck!

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:09:59 PM

i was stuck at 60Hz for 1600x1200( my desktop setting), until i did this
Display Props>Advanced>Displays>click Monitor> uncheck Use DDC info,Refresh
rate Override>same as desktop
--

Steve H
"Hawkeye" <j.rathgeber@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:33:59 -0600, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Hey gang,
> >
> >I got home late this evening, and have not had a chance to test it long,
but
> >right now it looks promising.
> >
> >For the first time, I am able to run water on it's perfect setting with
> >OpenGL, without texture corruption. I emphasize so far, only ran it for
app
> >10 minutes.
> >
> >I installed PF patch 3.04, and updated my Catalyst drivers to the latest
5.1
> >drivers.
> >
> >Changed the PF setup to OpenGL, set water to 1 in the config.ini file,
and
> >launched the game. Once in the game , I changed landscape detail from
> >excellent to perfect.
> >
> >Launched a mission from the carrier - water looked fantastic - big time
wow
> >factor for me, as this is first time I was able to run it without texture
> >corruption.
> >
> >Spent the 10 minutes flying low over the water, canopy open, and buzzing
the
> >ships. Man, did it look good!
> >
> >Framerates - 30 fps on carrier, 50 - 60 fps low and buzzing, 70 fps
higher
> >up in the air. Resolution was set at 1280x960, no aa and no af. I am
> >confident it will perform the same in 1600x1200.
> >
> >Anyone who, like me, has been missing out on perfect water, you might
give
> >the latest cat's and patch a try.
>
> Hey Don, thanks for the input. Could you post what kind of system
> you're running? Also could you inform me as to how to get into the
> config.ini file? I've done it before but, well, I'm kind of a geezer
> and have drank too many beers to remember. ;)
> I downloaded the new 5.1 drivers and installed them. I know this is
> off topic kind of but what's the difference between the two driver
> packages? The catalyst driver update won't allow me to adjust my
> monitor mghrz setting above 60 so I use the other update. I
> appreciate your input. Cya in 'da skies! (if you fly GreaterGreen
> that is)
>
> Haukeye
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 11:36:11 PM

>> Hey Don, thanks for the input. Could you post what kind of system
>> you're running? Also could you inform me as to how to get into the
>> config.ini file? I've done it before but, well, I'm kind of a geezer
>> and have drank too many beers to remember. ;)
>> I downloaded the new 5.1 drivers and installed them. I know this is
>> off topic kind of but what's the difference between the two driver
>> packages? The catalyst driver update won't allow me to adjust my
>> monitor mghrz setting above 60 so I use the other update. I
>> appreciate your input. Cya in 'da skies! (if you fly GreaterGreen
>> that is)
>>
>> Haukeye
>

>Hi Hawkeye,
>
>No problem.
>My system:
>Athlon XP 2800+ overclocked to 3200+
>ATI Radeon 9800 Pro overclocked in 3d to 413/374.
>Asus A7N8X Deluxe Ver 2.0 Nforce2 Ultra mother board.
>1 gig of Corsair 3200 LL matched ( 2 -512 mb)
>Westen Digital 120 gb 7200 rpm ata hard drives - 2.
>Audigy2 ZS soundcard
>
>Config ini - browse to your IL2 FB folder, and you should see a file named
>conf.ini. You should be able to double click this file and have it open in
>notepad. If it does not, try right clicking, and choosing open with -
>notepad.
>
>You will see several settings in here. Be careful. Best thing is to check
>the readme's for what these settings do. The water setting controls the
>quality of the water, with 1 being the best for framerates, and 3 being the
>best for quality - kills framerates though. Some can run water=2 without too
>much problem, few can run water=3 at this time.
>
>5.1 Drivers - not sure I understand, you state the catalyst driver update
>will not allow you to adjust your monitor's refresh rate, then you state you
>used another update. There is only 1 5.1 driver package. There is the
>control panel software, and the command control center ( ccc) sotware. You
>should use one or the other. Most folks still use the older control panel,
>myself included, as the CCC really will need Net Framework 2.0 to run good
>without eating up resources, and 2.0 has just reached beta stage.
>
>As for your monitor's refresh being stuck on 60 mhz, remove the check in the
>box that says " Hide modes that this monitor can not display". You should
>then see higher frequency settings, just be careful and choose one you know
>is ok for your monitor. I run mine at 85 mhz.
>
>Hope this helps. I am going out of town tomorrow for the weekend, so won't
>have access to these groups till I come back Sunday evening.
>
>Good luck!

My system's a little slower than yours, AMD2400+ with 1gig of Corsair
2700 ram and a 9800Pro, no overclocking at all. I was running IL2 at
1280 by 960 32 bit but a couple of times I got a wierd "brownout"
effectso Idropped it back down to 1152x864 and it seems to run smooth
as silk with the new drivers. Using the old drivers it was way too
choppy. Thanks for the help. Cya in 'da skies!

Haukeye
!