My final puter upgrade decision - Finally!!

Ok gang, I finally did it!

With some last minute mind changing once again, I have ordered the
components.

Below is what I decided to go with:

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Audio/GB-LAN/USB/IEEE/SATA/DDR-400/ATX 64 (939)
( yes, I finally went with socket 939, however, I went with Nforce3 Ultra -
agp/pci)

Lian Li Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case With Transparent Side Panel,
Model "PC-75" -RETAIL

Antec 550 Watt Power Supply With 2 Fans 5.25 Control Panel, Model "TRUE
CONTROL 550W" - Retail

AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 3500+, 90nm, 2.2 GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit
Processor - OEM

Thermalright Heatsink for P4 & K8 CPUs, Heatsink Only, Model "XP-90" -RETAIL

I will keep the 9800 Pro running for a while, and update the video card
later.
The rest of the components will come from my existing system.

Going out of town tomorrow for the weekend, hopefully will have everything
sometime next week and do the upgrade next weekend.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."

Hey you might actually be able to play strike commander now :)

--

gcisko@hotmail.com

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Ok gang, I finally did it!
>
> With some last minute mind changing once again, I have ordered the
> components.
>
> Below is what I decided to go with:
>
> MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Audio/GB-LAN/USB/IEEE/SATA/DDR-400/ATX 64 (939)
> ( yes, I finally went with socket 939, however, I went with Nforce3
> Ultra - agp/pci)
>
> Lian Li Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case With Transparent Side Panel,
> Model "PC-75" -RETAIL
>
> Antec 550 Watt Power Supply With 2 Fans 5.25 Control Panel, Model "TRUE
> CONTROL 550W" - Retail
>
> AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 3500+, 90nm, 2.2 GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit
> Processor - OEM
>
> Thermalright Heatsink for P4 & K8 CPUs, Heatsink Only, Model
> "XP-90" -RETAIL
>

> I will keep the 9800 Pro running for a while, and update the video card
> later.
> The rest of the components will come from my existing system.
>
> Going out of town tomorrow for the weekend, hopefully will have everything
> sometime next week and do the upgrade next weekend.
>

> --
> Don Burnette
>
> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
> of the man that's doing it."

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Ok gang, I finally did it!
>
> With some last minute mind changing once again, I have ordered the
> components.
>
> Below is what I decided to go with:

<snip>

Don wait! AMD just released a new "128 bit" cpu running at 4.1ghz and
Nvidia has a new GeForce 7800 GT 1gb video card due out new week. :)

Sorry about that. Humor is something that I try to contain, but it
sometimes get's the best of me. So are you going to do "before" and
"after" benchmarks? Let us know how it goes. I might have some $ burning
a hole in my pocket this March when I do US Income taxes. If we get a
refund this year. Which if I claim the dog and cat as dependants, carry
the 1, and add 12, ....

OldDog wrote:
> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Ok gang, I finally did it!
>>
>> With some last minute mind changing once again, I have ordered the
>> components.
>>
>> Below is what I decided to go with:
>>
> <snip>
>
> Don wait! AMD just released a new "128 bit" cpu running at 4.1ghz
> and Nvidia has a new GeForce 7800 GT 1gb video card due out new week.
> :)
>
> Sorry about that. Humor is something that I try to contain, but it
> sometimes get's the best of me. So are you going to do "before" and
> "after" benchmarks? Let us know how it goes. I might have some $
> burning a hole in my pocket this March when I do US Income taxes.
> If we get a refund this year. Which if I claim the dog and cat as
> dependants, carry the 1, and add 12, ....

Awww shoot, new I should have waited!
:)

Yes, I'll do a before and after and post here.

Have a great weekend all,

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:36:59 -0600, "Don Burnette"
<d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:

> Ok gang, I finally did it!
>
>With some last minute mind changing once again, I have ordered the
>components.

<snipped>

I'm sure you'll let us know here how it performs?

Thinking of going with something similar myself.

Right now my system is performing flawlessly, no hitches or
glitches, so, it's time to upgrade, right? :)

Villain

"If I hear 'Yo, bogie dudes' one more time, I'm going to empty my gun
into some surfer butt!"

I remember being so damn impressed with that game...used to stand outside the
computer store window and watch it like some kid. Wife would be standing there
asking can we go now? hehe...About a week later she said it was alright for me
to get a computer...hehehehe.

The rest is history.

PAPADOC

>Hey you might actually be able to play strike commander now :)

My Blog all about politics and the terror war.
www.papadoc.net/PinkFlamingoBar.html

jp

"Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Ok gang, I finally did it!
>
> With some last minute mind changing once again, I have ordered the
> components.
>
> Below is what I decided to go with:
>
> MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Audio/GB-LAN/USB/IEEE/SATA/DDR-400/ATX 64 (939)
> ( yes, I finally went with socket 939, however, I went with Nforce3
Ultra -
> agp/pci)
>
> Lian Li Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case With Transparent Side Panel,
> Model "PC-75" -RETAIL
>
> Antec 550 Watt Power Supply With 2 Fans 5.25 Control Panel, Model "TRUE
> CONTROL 550W" - Retail
>
> AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 3500+, 90nm, 2.2 GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit
> Processor - OEM
>
> Thermalright Heatsink for P4 & K8 CPUs, Heatsink Only, Model
"XP-90" -RETAIL

> I will keep the 9800 Pro running for a while, and update the video card
> later.
> The rest of the components will come from my existing system.
>
> Going out of town tomorrow for the weekend, hopefully will have everything
> sometime next week and do the upgrade next weekend.
>

> --
> Don Burnette
>
> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
> of the man that's doing it."

Hey Don, can I have your old rig ? <g>

SC will run in Dosbox on XP.It's sure looking crusty.
--

Steve H

Villain wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:36:59 -0600, "Don Burnette"
> <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Ok gang, I finally did it!
>>
>> With some last minute mind changing once again, I have ordered the
>> components.
>>
> <snipped>
>
> I'm sure you'll let us know here how it performs?
>
> Thinking of going with something similar myself.
>
> Right now my system is performing flawlessly, no hitches or
> glitches, so, it's time to upgrade, right? :)
>
> Villain
>
> "If I hear 'Yo, bogie dudes' one more time, I'm going to empty my gun
> into some surfer butt!"

Lol, yep sure will. My system is performing very well also, plus, I am now
able to get perfect water in PF using my Radeon card.

I don't know why I do this, seems like once everything gets really dialed in
, the urge to upgrade bites me hard!!

--

JP wrote:
> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Ok gang, I finally did it!
>>
>> With some last minute mind changing once again, I have ordered the
>> components.
>>
>> Below is what I decided to go with:
>>
>> MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Audio/GB-LAN/USB/IEEE/SATA/DDR-400/ATX 64 (939)
>> ( yes, I finally went with socket 939, however, I went with Nforce3
> Ultra -
>> agp/pci)
>>
>> Lian Li Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case With Transparent Side
>> Panel, Model "PC-75" -RETAIL
>>
>> Antec 550 Watt Power Supply With 2 Fans 5.25 Control Panel, Model
>> "TRUE CONTROL 550W" - Retail
>>
>> AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 3500+, 90nm, 2.2 GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit
>> Processor - OEM
>>
>> Thermalright Heatsink for P4 & K8 CPUs, Heatsink Only, Model
> "XP-90" -RETAIL
>>

>> I will keep the 9800 Pro running for a while, and update the video
>> card later.
>> The rest of the components will come from my existing system.
>>
>> Going out of town tomorrow for the weekend, hopefully will have
>> everything sometime next week and do the upgrade next weekend.
>>

>> --
>> Don Burnette
>>
>> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of
>> the way of the man that's doing it."
>

> Hey Don, can I have your old rig ? <g>

Lol, might have to fight my daughter for it - and she is a feisty thing!!
:)

--

> JP wrote:
> > "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Ok gang, I finally did it!
> >>
> >> With some last minute mind changing once again, I have ordered the
> >> components.
> >>
> >> Below is what I decided to go with:
> >>
> >> MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Audio/GB-LAN/USB/IEEE/SATA/DDR-400/ATX 64 (939)
> >> ( yes, I finally went with socket 939, however, I went with Nforce3
> > Ultra -
> >> agp/pci)
> >>
> >> Lian Li Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case With Transparent Side
> >> Panel, Model "PC-75" -RETAIL
> >>
> >> Antec 550 Watt Power Supply With 2 Fans 5.25 Control Panel, Model
> >> "TRUE CONTROL 550W" - Retail
> >>
> >> AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 3500+, 90nm, 2.2 GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit
> >> Processor - OEM
> >>
> >> Thermalright Heatsink for P4 & K8 CPUs, Heatsink Only, Model
> > "XP-90" -RETAIL
> >>

> >> I will keep the 9800 Pro running for a while, and update the video
> >> card later.
> >> The rest of the components will come from my existing system.
> >>
> >> Going out of town tomorrow for the weekend, hopefully will have
> >> everything sometime next week and do the upgrade next weekend.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Don Burnette
> >>
> >> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of
> >> the way of the man that's doing it."
> >

> > Hey Don, can I have your old rig ? <g>
>

> Lol, might have to fight my daughter for it - and she is a feisty thing!!
> :)
>

> --
> Don Burnette
>
> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
> way of the man that's doing it."

Hehe. Don't tell me you've got her into flight sims too ?

JP wrote:
> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> JP wrote:
>>> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> "XP-90" -RETAIL

>>> Hey Don, can I have your old rig ? <g>
>>

>> Lol, might have to fight my daughter for it - and she is a feisty
>> thing!! :)
>>

>> --
>> Don Burnette
>>
>> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of
>> the way of the man that's doing it."
>

> Hehe. Don't tell me you've got her into flight sims too ?

She plays around a little with it, nothing serious. She uses it more for
doing paperwork and such , plus her internet banking.

I may or may not give it to her, haven't quite decided yet.

--

> JP wrote:
> > "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message

> >> Lol, might have to fight my daughter for it - and she is a feisty
> >> thing!! :)
> >>

> >> --
> >> Don Burnette
> >>
> >> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of
> >> the way of the man that's doing it."
> >

> > Hehe. Don't tell me you've got her into flight sims too ?
>

> She plays around a little with it, nothing serious. She uses it more for
> doing paperwork and such , plus her internet banking.
>
> I may or may not give it to her, haven't quite decided yet.
>

> --
> Don Burnette
>
> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
> way of the man that's doing it."

Definately give it to her..........get her slightly interested in
sims.........setup a lan............2005 version of quality time <g>

JP wrote:
> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> JP wrote:
>>> "Don Burnette" <d.burnette@clothes.comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Hehe. Don't tell me you've got her into flight sims too ?
>>

>> She plays around a little with it, nothing serious. She uses it
>> more for doing paperwork and such , plus her internet banking.
>>
>> I may or may not give it to her, haven't quite decided yet.
>>

>> --
>> Don Burnette
>>
>> "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of
>> the way of the man that's doing it."
>

> Definately give it to her..........get her slightly interested in
> sims.........setup a lan............2005 version of quality time <g>

LOL, now that's a good idea!!
--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

Weaver

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:50:23 -0600, "Greg Cisko" <gcisko@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Just make sure you have a boot floppy :)

lmao - happy days :)

Just remember you need em for Ghost!

Oh no I forgot I've done a boot CD for that. Let's hope it bloody
works when I need it :)

I had to put a floppy drive back in for something or other not long
ago, had to go and find one took ages to sort out - your name was mud
obviously Greg :)

Hang about, where's the Preview button? :)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:41:04 +0000, Weaver <dratI@forgot.com> wrote:

>lmao - happy days :)
>
>Just remember you need em for Ghost!
>
>Oh no I forgot I've done a boot CD for that. Let's hope it bloody
>works when I need it :)

By the time I ever need the Ghost image file I've already changed so
much hardware that the image file is useless as I need to do a clean
install anyway. I've got loads of Ghost files on CDR that are now
just coasters.

Weaver

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 04:40:32 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
wrote:

>Well I didn't mean it quite that way. While the AMD and Intel are working
>on dual processors, I don't think you need to wait

FX55 it is then any week now - thanks!

You are a heartless bastard for gloating over your FX55. Here I was
gleefully planning my buying a 6800GT 256 thinking how neat it was.

Perhaps my Pearl Harbor scenario will finally play well....waaaay too
much ground fire. But without the AA how can I and my wingman beat off
the offending hordes.

PAPADOC

>FX55 it is then any week now - thanks!

ditto.