Functionplus

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2002
I am copying and pasting a problem I am having ... that I want somemore eyes to have a look at.

MAXTOR 20GB ATA-66 Primary IDE Master
256 SDRAM PC133
I am running in UDMA 4

I just ran some benchmarks on the drive and can see why I have been having problems that include:

1. Buffer underruns ~the cab files killed me unless I burned at 2x~
2. Very Slow bootups
3. Slow file movements inside the same physical drive.
4. Game staggers

The benchmarks show that my read hmmmm channel? sucks ass! I can now see why the ata-33 Im on now is out preforming it. Also I am getting this type of performance after a complete zero fill, with a clean install of 98se or XP .. XP at one time took 2 hours to install and 15 mins to get to the desktop. So this isint a drive that needs to be defragged.

I will assume that since this all started, now that I ponder, over the past few months .... the harddrive is dying? no? Let me know if this thing can get shocked back to life. BTW no need to tell me to upgrade I have my eyes on [-peep-] that aint in the stores, Im just trying to milk this baby.

again TIA for the help.

Let me add to all who have been with this form, feel free to send me any links if this has been covered before...

Thanks

F+

Napoleon

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Try Maxtor's diagnostic utility <A HREF="http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm" target="_new">Powermax</A> to check if your drive is having problems. Judging by the symptoms I'd guess that the drive is on its last legs, though.

<font color=red><b><i>You want WHAT on the [-peep-] CEILING?!</i></b></font color=red> -Michelangelo

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Which OS are you using?
A common cauze of sluggish drive behavior is not having DMA or UDMA enabled. (seems to be more common with win2k or XP)

<b>Microsoft is good for you. MS has your best intrests at heart. MS products are easy to use, Reliable, Bug free and Secure. MS says so. What possible reason would they have to lie to you?</b>