Service has gone to hell.

Mr_Roboto

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2002
I recently built myself a new computer using a Gigabyte GA-8IHXP motherboard. I bought a couple of 128MB PC1066 Kingston sticks and everything worked great. I decided about a week later to add two 256MB PC1066 Kingston chips so I ordered them from Googlegear. As soon as I installed the new chips (i removed the old ones) I began getting application errors and Windows XP started crashing, which I have never experienced before. I immediately suspected the new memory sticks so I ran Memtest86 version 3.0 and got several thousand errors after about 10 minutes. I called Googlegear and they told me that I had to get them replaced through Kingston. I called Kingston and they told me I would have to wait several weeks for a replacement. By this time a week or so had passed and I had read on this message board about many individuals with the same motherboard experiencing problems with the PC1066 Kingston 256MB chips. Since I didn't think it proper to have to wait for a few months to get working memory sticks I called Googlegear and explained my predicament. Andy at Googlegear informed me of their policy and *graciously* offered to charge my credit card for two more sticks while I sent the defective ones back. He added that Googlegear would test the defective sticks and if they found them to be working then he would give me a refund minus 15 percent for "restocking." I told Andy to just give me refund on the old ones and that I didn't want to get two more defective sticks.

A week later I got an e-mail from Andy and sure enough, Googlegear found the chips to be ok. I told them to test the sticks using memtest86 on a GA-8IHXP motherboard and they said that memtest86 is not the proper software to test the memory. I told Andy that his technicians are misinformed. I called up Kingston and spoke with a tech rep who told me that there is indeed a problem with certain 256MB chips and that there is a 4-6 week turn around time on replacements for them. I told Andy at Googlegear about this and I am now waiting to hear from him on whether or not his company will do the right thing and refund my full amount. It's been just shy of a month now since I originally ordered this memory from Googlegear and I have neither the memory or my $300.

I don't blame Kingston for this mishap although it is ultimately their fault. Googlegear should be more willing to work with its customers instead of adhering to a ridiculously rigid return policy. I've spent alot of money with Googlegear to date but I think in the future I'll be more willing to pay a little extra for better service.

Anyone who owns a GA-8IHXP and is considering purchasing Kinston PC1066 256MB chips should be aware of this problem.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think most are ... though they found out the hard way too. :(

I can't believe with all of the attention that this has gotten lately that Googlegear would even question the return of 256MB PC1066 Kingston sticks. That's really sad.

However, it isn't surprising. A friend of mine got a hard drive from a major PC store once. (I'm not naming it because I can't remember the specific one at the moment.) The hard drive totally sucked. He ran a surface scan using scandisk and came up with massive amounts of errors.

So he calls them up to return it, and their 'highly skilled' (and I use the term loosely) tech support says they won't RMA because you're not supposed to run scandisk on a hard drive!

He <i>eventually</i> got a refund, but it was a painful effort to get it.

My point is basically that most tech support kind of stuff is done by complete idiots these days, so as much as we'd like them to be smarter than us about this stuff (since that is their job after all), usually they aren't.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, you could always get a couple more 128's from a different source when the money comes back. At least that would give you 512MB total. And the 128's are known to be highly overclockable.

As to why the 128's appear to be the best in the industry while the 256's appear to be some of the worst, maybe they use different (higher density) chips?

Anyway, I'm still recommending Kingston's 128MB modules as they same to offer the best performance (highest overclock). Too bad about their 256's.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
indeed.
i had a stick of PC150 kingmax sdram that went bad. a portion of it didnt show up on boot and memtest easily picked it up.
But did the skilled technicians at the store detect it? nope.

<b>Microsoft is good for you. MS has your best intrests at heart. MS products are easy to use, Reliable, Bug free and Secure. MS says so. What possible reason would they have to lie to you?</b>

TRENDING THREADS