Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Seeking recommendation - Modern Fighter Sim

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 10:44:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

Years ago, I played Jane's USN Fighters, and really enjoyed it. Later,
I purchased Falcon 4.0, and found it to be really immersive, but not
stable on my computer. I recently bought a new computer, and Falcon 4.0
is still not stable (4.0 + 1.08 patch plus RP 5).

Assuming that the sim can not easily be made stable, what other modern
combat flight sim (s) would you suggest?

Thanks
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 12:02:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

Are you only interested in Jet sims? I have an old Nova Logic "F-16
Multirole Fighter" that still works good on my new Athlon XPs. It has
multiplayer capability, but no one is playing it online (internet) anymore.

Modern jet sims are boring visually, because you launch air-to-air missiles
and you never see the target, just a blip on radar screen.

I just rejoined Warbirds, now its Warbirds 2004, after being away from it
for couple years. Its WWII era planes and armored anti aircraft weapons,
etc. I like it very much, but its a steap learning curve with learning
dogfighting tactics and manuever, to include using HOTAS to keep sight of
the other guy. Takes a lot of skill and cordination including using a
control system that supports rudder control. Its hard to get hits on the
other guy. Again, the learning curve is 2weeks - 1month for this game
before you're able to develope any proficency at all with it.

I signed up two weeks ago when they were running an unlimited airtime
special. Its $14 a month (unlimited) with the first 2 weeks free.

I use to play Air Warrior multiplayer online. With AW, I could take on 2
vs.1 often win. Warbirds has a much more accurate damage effects model. I
am lucky if I can survive 1-on-1, let alone get a kill. There are guys that
get kills every few minutes though, so their skill level is amazing.

With Warbirds 2004 there are several arenas, with the MAIN arena usually
getting about 100 playing.

Another thing about Jet sims I dont like. Having the other guy fire 4 or 5
air to air missles at you at close range.. There no escaping that kind of
barrage. Its very unrealistic.

Jet fighters and modern air launched weapons are so sophisticated now! Soon
pilots will be optional equipment! :) 

JoshIII
Currently Playing: Warbirds 2004


"Dave Dantos" <ddantos@gsinet.net> wrote in message
news:10v5sr9qn8chu66@corp.supernews.com...
> Years ago, I played Jane's USN Fighters, and really enjoyed it. Later,
> I purchased Falcon 4.0, and found it to be really immersive, but not
> stable on my computer. I recently bought a new computer, and Falcon 4.0
> is still not stable (4.0 + 1.08 patch plus RP 5).
>
> Assuming that the sim can not easily be made stable, what other modern
> combat flight sim (s) would you suggest?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 12:08:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

"Dave Dantos" <ddantos@gsinet.net> wrote in message
news:10v5sr9qn8chu66@corp.supernews.com...
> Years ago, I played Jane's USN Fighters, and really enjoyed it. Later, I
> purchased Falcon 4.0, and found it to be really immersive, but not stable
> on my computer. I recently bought a new computer, and Falcon 4.0 is still
> not stable (4.0 + 1.08 patch plus RP 5).
>
> Assuming that the sim can not easily be made stable, what other modern
> combat flight sim (s) would you suggest?
>
> Thanks

I agree with G. Patricks. RP5 was great with a voodoo 5 but if you have a
new system you should be able to do a fresh install of Falcon 4.0 and add
Free Falcon 3 (no need for the 1.08 patch). If that works for you, you can
add the hot fix update and Cobra-one.

Lock On Modern Air Combat (LOMAC) is in the bargain bin these days. It's
worth its price for the A-10 alone, IMHO, but you also get the F-15, Su-25,
Su-27, Su-33 and Mig-29.
Related resources
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:16:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

RP5 is looong gone, no reason to use it anymore. I would get
FreeFalcon 3 and the new Cobra patch for standalone play. The only
"new" jet sim worth a damn is LOMAC, and IMO it doesn't hold a candle
to an updated Falcon 4.0 with high res terrain and add-on 1600x1200
cockpits.

Your specs including driver versions would help also.

Icer

>On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:44:23 -0500, Dave Dantos <ddantos@gsinet.net> wrote:
>Years ago, I played Jane's USN Fighters, and really enjoyed it. Later,
>I purchased Falcon 4.0, and found it to be really immersive, but not
>stable on my computer. I recently bought a new computer, and Falcon 4.0
>is still not stable (4.0 + 1.08 patch plus RP 5).
>
>Assuming that the sim can not easily be made stable, what other modern
>combat flight sim (s) would you suggest?
>
>Thanks
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 7:21:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

"Dave Dantos" <ddantos@gsinet.net> wrote in message
news:10v5sr9qn8chu66@corp.supernews.com...
> Years ago, I played Jane's USN Fighters, and really enjoyed it. Later,
> I purchased Falcon 4.0, and found it to be really immersive, but not
> stable on my computer. I recently bought a new computer, and Falcon 4.0
> is still not stable (4.0 + 1.08 patch plus RP 5).
>
> Assuming that the sim can not easily be made stable, what other modern
> combat flight sim (s) would you suggest?
>
> Thanks

Here's two that you might enjoy. Both should be in the bargin bin and don't
require a speedy pc to run them.

1. Janes USAF
2. Enemy Engaged Commanche vs Hokum (helo sim)

There's also Janes F/A 18 and F15 sims. But they require a little more
learning curve than the two listed above.
January 23, 2005 7:49:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

Check out LOMAC. It only needs one patch (1.00 to 1.02) and it runs great on
my system (P4 2.8G w/ 1Gb & an older NVidia card). Settings not maxed out,
but still looks good.

I used to enjoy the Jane's line of sims (especially USNF, ATF/NATO and FA
when they were in their prime). I then moved on to F-15 and then USAF.

Now I spend most of my time in Jane's WW2 fighters and LOMAC. I don't have
the time for F4.

There is also an add-on being worked on for LOMAC. Check here:

http://www.lockon.ru/index.php?lang=en



"Dave Dantos" <ddantos@gsinet.net> wrote in message
news:10v5sr9qn8chu66@corp.supernews.com...
> Years ago, I played Jane's USN Fighters, and really enjoyed it. Later, I
> purchased Falcon 4.0, and found it to be really immersive, but not stable
> on my computer. I recently bought a new computer, and Falcon 4.0 is still
> not stable (4.0 + 1.08 patch plus RP 5).
>
> Assuming that the sim can not easily be made stable, what other modern
> combat flight sim (s) would you suggest?
>
> Thanks
January 23, 2005 9:36:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

"JoshIII" <josh3iREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:35geosF4jdedeU1@individual.net...

>
> I use to play Air Warrior multiplayer online. With AW, I could take on 2
> vs.1 often win. Warbirds has a much more accurate damage effects model.
> I
> am lucky if I can survive 1-on-1, let alone get a kill. There are guys
> that
> get kills every few minutes though, so their skill level is amazing.
>

You really need to try IL 2 online !!! I play a Hyper Lobby, and
yes it is...... FREE :)  And the graphics, flight model are even more
realistic than Warbirds.


I used to love AW tho !!! Was great fun online for the time !

































--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 2:09:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

Is the following true about Hyper Lobby software? Ref:
www.flightsimhq.org

"What did you find?
* software installs powerful system files
* those system files ARE not reported or do they get uninstalled
* software installs powerful remote access to your system,
bypassing your virus and firewall programs
* remote access to your system is routed to a hidden location,
connect to the HLJ server are tunnelled and encrypted
* Jiri refuses to offer a verify identities
* software can allow remote rebooting of your machine
* software is NOT detectable by trojan / virus checkers,
because each module is not dangerous by itself. Simply crafty concept.
* Jiri refuses any audit of the software by a trusted 3rd party."




"AM" <SCTUSER@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:fJqdnQ9jtuBoDG7cRVn-gA@comcast.com...
>
> You really need to try IL 2 online !!! I play a Hyper Lobby, and
> yes it is...... FREE :)  And the graphics, flight model are even more
> realistic than Warbirds.
>
>
> I used to love AW tho !!! Was great fun online for the time !
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will
>
>
January 23, 2005 4:38:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

"JoshIII" <josh3iREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:35i0djF4mjcdmU1@individual.net...
> Is the following true about Hyper Lobby software? Ref:
> www.flightsimhq.org
>
> "What did you find?
> * software installs powerful system files
> * those system files ARE not reported or do they get uninstalled
> * software installs powerful remote access to your system,
> bypassing your virus and firewall programs
> * remote access to your system is routed to a hidden location,
> connect to the HLJ server are tunnelled and encrypted
> * Jiri refuses to offer a verify identities
> * software can allow remote rebooting of your machine
> * software is NOT detectable by trojan / virus checkers,
> because each module is not dangerous by itself. Simply crafty concept.
> * Jiri refuses any audit of the software by a trusted 3rd party."
>
To be honest, I never dug into it.
I knew it got into the system something fierce, but so far
no problems with it, or having problems because of it.

And the online flying is FUN at HL to me.
If you are serious about security, than I understand your reluctance
with it. There is no private data on my box, it is only for games,
I use another box for web surfing, and another one besides that
one, that is NOT connected to the network, or internet.for personal
work/data. I rarely purchase online.

Three computers to do exactly what I want, but I'm used to it :-)







































--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 4:43:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

Dave Dantos wrote:
> Years ago, I played Jane's USN Fighters, and really enjoyed it. Later, I
> purchased Falcon 4.0, and found it to be really immersive,
> but not stable on my computer. I recently bought a new computer, and
> Falcon 4.0 is still not stable (4.0 + 1.08 patch plus RP 5).
>
> Assuming that the sim can not easily be made stable, what other modern
> combat flight sim (s) would you suggest?
>
> Thanks

Well for the price, Super EF2000 as a download on the Underdogs web site
can't be beat! For the price FREE.
January 23, 2005 4:43:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

"For-Example" <Id-rather@not.say> wrote in message
news:6SNId.18570$Qb.6479@edtnps89...

>
> Well for the price, Super EF2000 as a download on the Underdogs web site
> can't be beat! For the price FREE.
>

Ahhh.... stealing is good then ?


{PLONK}






































--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 5:20:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

For-Example wrote:

> Well for the price, Super EF2000 as a download on the Underdogs web
> site can't be beat! For the price FREE.

Is downloading from the Underdogs stealing? Can you still buy SuperEF2K
anywhere?

Honestly, if it's stealing then that's an issue, for sure, I thought it was
OK to DL games from there.

I own the original game btw, with the clunky manual. It was a hoot in it's
day.
January 23, 2005 5:20:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

"For-Example" <Id-rather@not.say> wrote in message
news:QoOId.18582$Qb.2071@edtnps89...
> For-Example wrote:
>
> > Well for the price, Super EF2000 as a download on the Underdogs web
> > site can't be beat! For the price FREE.
>
> Is downloading from the Underdogs stealing? Can you still buy SuperEF2K
> anywhere?
>
> Honestly, if it's stealing then that's an issue, for sure, I thought it
was
> OK to DL games from there.
>
> I own the original game btw, with the clunky manual. It was a hoot in
it's
> day.



No, it's not stealing to download it from there. He doesn't know what
he's talking about, needs to find out the facts instead of opening his mouth
so quick.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 7:14:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

It's a bit of a red herring, that guy has a bit of an axe to grind.
Yes it'll do some of that, however the same can be said for other
services/programs. You have to put some trust in people sometime.

If there were any real vulns/exploits as a result of this, you'd have heard
by now.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:08:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

"G. Patricks" <GPatricks@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
news:fg56v016glbefl5htbatd9l68cuds4ur5i@4ax.com...
> RP5 is looong gone, no reason to use it anymore. I would get
> FreeFalcon 3 and the new Cobra patch for standalone play. The only
> "new" jet sim worth a damn is LOMAC, and IMO it doesn't hold a candle
> to an updated Falcon 4.0 with high res terrain and add-on 1600x1200
> cockpits.
>
> Your specs including driver versions would help also.
>
> Icer
>
>>On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:44:23 -0500, Dave Dantos <ddantos@gsinet.net>
>>wrote:
>>Years ago, I played Jane's USN Fighters, and really enjoyed it. Later,
>>I purchased Falcon 4.0, and found it to be really immersive, but not
>>stable on my computer. I recently bought a new computer, and Falcon 4.0
>>is still not stable (4.0 + 1.08 patch plus RP 5).
>>
>>Assuming that the sim can not easily be made stable, what other modern
>>combat flight sim (s) would you suggest?
>>
>>Thanks
>

Where do we get the Cobra patch???

Thanks!
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:08:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

"HockeyTownUSA" <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p c6dnQ2d5O71lGrcRVn-2A@comcast.com...
> Where do we get the Cobra patch???


I got it here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dan.king2/Falcon4/
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:45:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

OldDog wrote:
> "Dave Dantos" <ddantos@gsinet.net> wrote in message
> news:10v5sr9qn8chu66@corp.supernews.com...
> Enemy Engaged Commanche vs Hokum (helo sim)
>
I have "Apache vs. Havok". Aside from the helicopters available, I was
curious about the gameplay and realism differences between the two.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:06:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

"FatKat" <robynari@juno.com> wrote in message
news:1106934316.763598.286100@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
> OldDog wrote:
> > "Dave Dantos" <ddantos@gsinet.net> wrote in message
> > news:10v5sr9qn8chu66@corp.supernews.com...
> > Enemy Engaged Commanche vs Hokum (helo sim)
> >
> I have "Apache vs. Havok". Aside from the helicopters available, I was
> curious about the gameplay and realism differences between the two.
>

As to game play & realism... I never played Apache vs Havok that much. The
few times that I did, I just remember thinking that flying the Apache in
EECH was better. The Gamespot link below has a full review on EECH which
provides some differences on the newer game.

The good news is that you can find EECH in the bargin bin; install EECH,
and then install Apache vs Havok in the same Razorworks dir. So now you
can fly the all the helos in EECH; and fly the campaign missions from
Apache vs Havok as well.

Finally, some others can jump in here and make recommendations on the new
"graphic mods" that have been released. I've seen them on sites like SimHQ,
but haven't bothered to test them. I did use one of the "weapons" editors
and that was fun to change the Hellfire so that it could hit targets out to
12kms. ;) 

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/enemyengagedrah66cvkh/in...

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/enemyengag...

http://www.razorworks.com/enemyengaged/index.html

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/combat_helo/cohokum/fa...

"I've installed Apache Havoc but don't see the extra campaigns"

To properly install A-H with C-H, you should first ensure they are both
using the same common "RAZORWORKS" directory. Then make sure you have
performed the following steps:

* Patched A-H to 1.1e (patch on the CD)
* Run A-H to perform the graphics conversion
* Exit A-H then run C-H

You should see "Apache-Havoc Installed" at the top of the spash screen
when loading and see six campaigns available
!